Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Tfam
Description: transcription factor A, mitochondrial
Alias: Mttfa, transcription factor A, mitochondrial
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A is necessary for mtDNA maintenance and embryogenesis in miceN G Larsson
Department of Molecular Medicine, Center for Molecular Medicine L8 02, Stockholm, Sweden
Nat Genet 18:231-6. 1998..We have disrupted the mouse gene for mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam; formerly known as m-mtTFA) by gene targetting of loxP-sites followed by cre-mediated excision in vivo...
- Acetylation and level of mitochondrial transcription factor A in several organs of young and old ratsMaria M Dinardo
Dipartimento di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare, Universita di Bari, Via Orabona 4, Bari 70125, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 301:187-91. 2003To gain further information on the role of mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) in mitochondrial biogenesis, we studied the post-translational modifications of the protein in 6- and 28-month-old rat liver...
- Effect of denervation on the regulation of mitochondrial transcription factor A expression in skeletal muscleLiam D Tryon
Muscle Health Research Centre, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada and School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 309:C228-38. 2015The purpose of this study was to determine how the expression of mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam), a protein that governs mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) transcription and replication, is regulated during a state of reduced organelle ..
- AMP-activated protein kinase is required for exercise-induced peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor co-activator 1 translocation to subsarcolemmal mitochondria in skeletal muscleBrennan K Smith
Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, 491 Gordon St, Guelph, ON, N1G 2W1, Canada
J Physiol 591:1551-61. 2013..peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ co-activator 1α (PGC-1α) and mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam) have been implicated in the direct regulation of the mitochondrial genome in mice, although SS and IMF differences ..
- Aging and calorie restriction oppositely affect mitochondrial biogenesis through TFAM binding at both origins of mitochondrial DNA replication in rat liverAnna Picca
Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, Institute on Aging, Division of Biology of Aging, University of Florida, Gainesville, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e74644. 2013..we found an age-related decrease in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) content and mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) amount, fully prevented by CR...
- A comparison among the tissue-specific effects of aging and calorie restriction on TFAM amount and TFAM-binding activity to mtDNA in ratAnna Picca
Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, Institute on Aging, Division of Biology of Aging, University of Florida, 2004 Mowry Rd, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1840:2184-91. 2014Mitochondrial Transcription Factor A (TFAM) is regarded as a histone-like protein of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), performing multiple functions for this genome...
- Impaired transport of mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) and the metabolic memory phenomenon associated with the progression of diabetic retinopathyJulia M Santos
Kresge Eye Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 29:204-13. 2013..In the transcription and replication of mtDNA, nuclear-encoded mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) is considered a key activator...
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A is a proinflammatory mediator in hemorrhagic shockWayne W Chaung
The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Int J Mol Med 30:199-203. 2012..Mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) is a transcription factor for mitochondrial DNA...
- PARK2 variability in Polish Parkinson's disease patients--interaction with mitochondrial haplogroupsKatarzyna Gaweda-Walerych
Department of Neurodegenerative Disorders, Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Sciences, Pawinskiego 5, 02 106 Warsaw, Poland
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 18:520-4. 2012..Parkin complexed with mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) binds mtDNA and promotes mitochondrial biogenesis, which is abolished by PARK2 gene mutations...
- Effect of mitochondrial transcription factor a overexpression on motor neurons in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis model miceNobutoshi Morimoto
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Science, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
J Neurosci Res 90:1200-8. 2012..susceptible to oxidative damage and has little potential for repair, although mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) plays essential roles in maintaining mitochondrial DNA by reducing oxidative stress, promoting mtDNA transcription,..
- Exercise induces mitochondrial biogenesis after brain ischemia in ratsQ Zhang
Department of Rehabilitation, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200040, China
Neuroscience 205:10-7. 2012..7 days of training, the levels of mtDNA, nuclear respiratory factor 1, NRF-1, mitochondrial transcription factor A, TFAM, and the mitochondrial protein cytochrome C oxidase subunit IV (COXIV) and heat shock protein-60 (HSP60) also ..
- Impact of exercise on mitochondrial transcription factor expression and damage in the striatum of a chronic mouse model of Parkinson's diseaseGaurav Patki
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204, USA
Neurosci Lett 505:268-72. 2011....
- Role of mitochondria biogenesis in the metabolic memory associated with the continued progression of diabetic retinopathy and its regulation by lipoic acidJulia M Santos
Kresge Eye Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:8791-8. 2011..This study is to investigate the role of mitochondria biogenesis (regulated by nuclear mitochondrial signaling) in the metabolic memory phenomenon...
- Maternal obesity promotes a proinflammatory signature in rat uterus and blastocystKartik Shankar
Arkansas Children s Nutrition Center, 15 Children s Way, Slot 512 20B, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA
Endocrinology 152:4158-70. 2011..proinflammatory genes (CCL4 and CCL5) increased and expression of antioxidant (GPx3) and mitochondrial (TFAM and NRF1) genes decreased in the obese embryos...
- Impaired mitochondrial biogenesis in hippocampi of rats with chronic seizuresY Han
Department of Neurology, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Jinan 250012, China
Neuroscience 194:234-40. 2011..receptor gamma coactivator-1α, nuclear respiratory factor-1, and mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam), but depended on reduced Tfam-DNA binding activity...
- The impact of mitochondrial and nuclear DNA variants on late-onset Alzheimer's disease riskAleksandra Maruszak
Department of Neurodegenerative Disorders, Mossakowski Medical Research Centre, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warszawa, Poland
J Alzheimers Dis 27:197-210. 2011..haplogroups, and polymorphisms in nuclear genes essential for mitochondrial biogenesis and function (PGC-1α TFAM) to late-onset Alzheimer's disease (LOAD) risk...
- PGC-1alpha downstream transcription factors NRF-1 and TFAM are genetic modifiers of Huntington diseaseElahe Taherzadeh-Fard
Department of Human Genetics, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
Mol Neurodegener 6:32. 2011..In this study, we hypothesised that polymorphisms in PGC-1alpha downstream targets might also contribute to the variation in the AO...
- Impairment of PGC-1alpha expression, neuropathology and hepatic steatosis in a transgenic mouse model of Huntington's disease following chronic energy deprivationRajnish K Chaturvedi
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:3190-205. 2010..In the striatum of the HD mice, the baseline levels of PGC-1alpha, NRF1, NRF2, Tfam, COX-II, PPARdelta, CREB and ERRalpha mRNA and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), were significantly reduced...
- Dysregulation of mitochondrial dynamics and the muscle transcriptome in ICU patients suffering from sepsis induced multiple organ failureKatarina Fredriksson
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS ONE 3:e3686. 2008..Here we use detailed phenotyping and genomics to elucidate mechanisms leading to these impairments and the molecular consequences...
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) gene variation in Parkinson's diseaseVictoria Alvarez
Genetica Molecular, Hospital Central de Asturias Maternidad, 33006 Oviedo, Spain
Neurosci Lett 432:79-82. 2008..The mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) controls the transcription of mtDNA and regulates the mtDNA-copy number, thus being important for maintaining ATP ..
- Rapidly increased neuronal mitochondrial biogenesis after hypoxic-ischemic brain injuryWei Yin
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Stroke 39:3057-63. 2008..In this study, we report for the first time rapidly increased mitochondrial biogenesis in a rat model of neonatal hypoxic/ischemic brain injury (H-I)...
- Association study of two genetic variants in mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseaseAndrea Carmine Belin
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, and Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurosci Lett 420:257-62. 2007..Mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) is needed for mtDNA maintenance, regulating mtDNA copy number and is absolutely required for transcriptional ..
- Genetic modification of survival in tissue-specific knockout mice with mitochondrial cardiomyopathyH Li
Department of Molecular Medicine, CMM L8 02, Karolinska Hospital, S 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:3467-72. 2000..The gene for mouse mitochondrial transcription factor A, Tfam (also called mtTFA), a nucleus-encoded key regulator of mtDNA expression, was targeted with loxP sites (Tfam(loxP)) and disrupted in ..
- Isolation of rat mitochondrial transcription factor A (r-Tfam) cDNAH Inagaki
Department of Chemistry, National Industrial Research Institute of Nagoya, Japan
DNA Seq 11:131-5. 2000We have isolated rat mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam; formerly known as mtTFA) cDNA clones from a rat cerebellum cDNA library using human Tfam cDNA as a probe...
- Downregulation of Tfam and mtDNA copy number during mammalian spermatogenesisA Rantanen
Department of Medical Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, Novum, Huddinge Hospital, S 14186 Huddinge, 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Mamm Genome 12:787-92. 2001Mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam) is required for mtDNA maintenance, and mitochondrial Tfam protein levels directly affect mtDNA copy number...
- Reduced activity of mtTFA decreases the transcription in mitochondria isolated from diabetic rat heartAkio Kanazawa
Department of Biochemistry, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Shiga 520 2192, Japan
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E778-85. 2002To evaluate abnormalities in the mitochondrial transcription factor A (mtTFA) function as a cause of mitochondrial dysfunction in diabetes, we measured the mRNA contents of the proteins consisting of the mitochondrial respiratory chain ..
- Characterization of the mtTFA gene and identification of a processed pseudogene in ratMaria Mezzina
Dipartimento di Biochimica e Biologia Molecolare, Universita di Bari, Via Orabona 4, 70125 Bari, Italy
Gene 286:105-12. 2002..Among these there is the mitochondrial transcription factor A (mtTFA or Tfam)...
- Characterization of the 5'-flanking region of the rat gene for mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam)Yon Sik Choi
Division of Metabolic Disease Research, Department of Biomedical Sciences, National Institute of Health, 122 701, Seoul, South Korea
Biochim Biophys Acta 1574:200-4. 2002Mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam) is essential for the initiation of transcription and the replication of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA)...
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A and its downstream targets are up-regulated in a rat hepatomaXiaocheng Dong
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Biol Chem 277:43309-18. 2002..The mRNA levels for the hepatoma cytochrome c oxidase I, II, and NADH dehydrogenase 5, 6, the downstream targets of Tfam, were augmented 10-, 8-, 5-, and 3-fold, respectively. Interestingly, Tfam was also found in the hepatoma nucleus...
- P53 physically interacts with mitochondrial transcription factor A and differentially regulates binding to damaged DNAYoichiro Yoshida
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Kitakyushu Fukuoka 807 8555, Japan
Cancer Res 63:3729-34. 2003Mitochondrial transcription factor A (mtTFA; also designated Tfam) is necessary for both transcription and maintenance of mitochondrial DNA. mtTFA preferentially recognizes cisplatin-damaged DNA, as well as oxidized DNA...
- Regulation and role of the mitochondrial transcription factor in the diabetic rat heartYoshihiko Nishio
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Shiga, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1011:78-85. 2004..of mitochondrial DNA could not be explained by mRNA or protein contents of mitochondrial transcription factor (mtTFA), but mtTFA binding to the promoter sequence of mitochondrial DNA, assessed by gel-shift assay, was attenuated in ..
- The mitochondrial RNA polymerase contributes critically to promoter specificity in mammalian cellsMartina Gaspari
Department of Medical Nutrition, Karolinska Institute, Novum, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
EMBO J 23:4606-14. 2004..depends on three proteins: mitochondrial RNA polymerase (POLRMT), mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) and mitochondrial transcription factor B2 (TFB2M)...
- Vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation is dependent upon upregulation of mitochondrial transcription factor A (mtTFA) expression in injured rat carotid arteryTomonori Yoshida
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Sciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School of Medicine, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Atherosclerosis 178:39-47. 2005..We hypothesized that mitochondrial transcription factor A (mtTFA), a prerequisite factor for the transcription and replication of mtDNA, may be upregulated in VSMC of injured rat ..
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A induction by redox activation of nuclear respiratory factor 1Claude A Piantadosi
Department of Medicine, Duke University, Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 281:324-33. 2006The nuclear expression of mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam), which is required for mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) transcription and replication, must be linked to cellular energy needs...
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) is increased in rat embryo during placentation and associated with mitochondrial differentiationMaria Pilar Alcolea
Grup de Metabolisme Energètic i Nutrició Departament de Biologia Fonamental i Ciències de la Salut, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Cell Physiol Biochem 17:79-88. 2006..single strand DNA binding protein (mtSSB)), mtDNA transcription (mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM)), as well as in mitochondrial function (cytochrome c oxidase subunit I (COXI))...
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A is the major protein in rodent hepatocytes that recognizes DNA lesions induced by N-acetoxy-acetylaminofluoreneMonika Pietrowska
Department of Experimental and Clinical Radiobiology, Maria Skłodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Gliwice, Poland
Acta Biochim Pol 53:777-82. 2006..from rat tissue and analyzed it by mass spectrometry and identified it as mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM). Experiments with bacterially expressed recombinant TFAM confirmed its high affinity for DNA damaged by AAAF...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor expression is reduced in skeletal muscle in COPDA H Remels
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Maastricht, P O Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 30:245-52. 2007..PGC)-1alpha in regulation of skeletal muscle morphology and metabolism, and mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) has been implicated in the process of mitochondrial biogenesis...
- Mitochondrial transcription factor A overexpression and base excision repair deficiency in the inner ear of rats with D-galactose-induced agingYi Zhong
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
FEBS J 278:2500-10. 2011..This study also provides new insights into the development of presbycusis...
- Mitochondrial transcription factors TFAM and TFB2M regulate Serca2 gene transcriptionAtai Watanabe
Department of Medicine and Biological Science, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Cardiovasc Res 90:57-67. 2011..Messenger RNA (mRNA) for these enzymes is transcribed by mitochondrial transcription factors A (TFAM) and B2 (TFB2M)...
- PDX1 deficiency causes mitochondrial dysfunction and defective insulin secretion through TFAM suppressionBenoit R Gauthier
Department of Cell Physiology and Metabolism, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Cell Metab 10:110-8. 2009..Transcript profiling revealed suppression of nuclear-encoded mitochondrial factor A (TFAM). Herein, we show that Pdx1 suppression in adult mice reduces islet TFAM expression coinciding with hyperglycemia...
- Alterations in mitochondrial function and cytosolic calcium induced by hyperglycemia are restored by mitochondrial transcription factor A in cardiomyocytesJorge Suarez
Dept of Medicine, Univ of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0618, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C1561-8. 2008Mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) is essential for mitochondrial DNA transcription and replication. TFAM transcriptional activity is decreased in diabetic cardiomyopathy; however, the functional implications are unknown...
- Lung Injury Protection by Coagulation BlockadeCLAUDE PIANTADOSI; Fiscal Year: 2008..A successfully optimized strategy could greatly attenuate persistence of pulmonary inflammation and facilitate the resolution of human ARDS. ..
- Nitric oxide and mitochondrial biogenesis in sepsisClaude A Piantadosi; Fiscal Year: 2010..compensation involvingmitochondrialbiogenesis, which requires activation ofmitochondrial transcription factor A (mtTFA) and two nuclear transcription factors, nuclear respiratory factor-1 and -2 (NRF-1 and -2),and a co-activator, PGC-..