Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Stk11
Description: serine/threonine kinase 11
Alias: Lkb1, serine/threonine-protein kinase STK11, liver kinase B1 homolog, serine/threonine-protein kinase 11, serine/threonine-protein kinase LKB1
- Activation of the tumour suppressor kinase LKB1 by the STE20-like pseudokinase STRADA F Baas
Hubrecht Laboratory, Centre for Biomedical Genetics, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
EMBO J 22:3062-72. 2003The LKB1 gene encodes a serine/threonine kinase mutated in Peutz-Jeghers cancer syndrome. Despite several proposed models for LKB1 function in development and in tumour suppression, the detailed molecular action of LKB1 remains undefined...
- Complexes between the LKB1 tumor suppressor, STRAD alpha/beta and MO25 alpha/beta are upstream kinases in the AMP-activated protein kinase cascadeSimon A Hawley
Division of Molecular Physiology, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
J Biol 2:28. 2003..Although they do not have obvious mammalian homologs, they are related to LKB1, a tumor suppressor that is mutated in the human Peutz-Jeghers cancer syndrome...
- Characterization of the AMP-activated protein kinase kinase from rat liver and identification of threonine 172 as the major site at which it phosphorylates AMP-activated protein kinaseS A Hawley
Biochemistry Department, The University, Dundee DD1 4HN, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 271:27879-87. 1996..A., Selbert, M. A., Goldstein, E. G., Edelman, A. M., Carling, D., and Hardie, D. G. (1995) J. Biol. Chem. 270, 27186-27191)...
- SIRT1 modulation of the acetylation status, cytosolic localization, and activity of LKB1. Possible role in AMP-activated protein kinase activationFan Lan
Diabetes and Metabolism Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 283:27628-35. 2008..We examined whether a mechanistic connection exists between these molecules that involves the major AMPK kinase LKB1. Initial studies demonstrated that LKB1 is acetylated in cultured (HEK293T) cells, mouse white adipose tissue, and ..
- Berberine inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis via the LKB1-AMPK-TORC2 signaling pathway in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsShu Jun Jiang
Shu Jun Jiang, Hui Dong, Li Jun Xu, Xin Zou, Kai Fu Wang, Fu Er Lu, Institute of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, Hubei Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 21:7777-85. 2015..To investigate the molecular mechanisms of berberine inhibition of hepatic gluconeogenesis in a diabetic rat model...
- Heat-shock protein 90 and Cdc37 interact with LKB1 and regulate its stabilityJerome Boudeau
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 370:849-57. 2003b>LKB1 is a widely expressed serine/threonine protein kinase that is mutated in the inherited Peutz-Jeghers cancer syndrome...
- Pinusolide improves high glucose-induced insulin resistance via activation of AMP-activated protein kinaseSeung Lark Hwang
College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan 712 749, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 437:374-9. 2013..pinusolide stimulated AMPK phosphorylation and glucose uptake and these effects were significantly reduced by siRNA LKB1 or compound C, suggesting that enhanced glucose uptake by pinusolide is predominantly accomplished via an LKB1-..
- Non-hyperpolarizing GABAB receptor activation regulates neuronal migration and neurite growth and specification by cAMP/LKB1Guillaume Bony
Department of Neuroscience and Brain Technologies, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Via Morego, 30 Genoa 16163, Italy
Nat Commun 4:1800. 2013..Furthermore, GABABR activation reduces cyclic AMP-dependent phosphorylation of LKB1, a kinase involved in neuronal polarization, and rescues LKB1 overexpression-induced defects in cortical ..
- Effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on rat livers after partial hepatectomy via LKB1-AMPK signaling pathwayX P Yan
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital, Medical School of Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Transplant Proc 43:3604-12. 2011..n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (n-3 PUFA) are considered to be associated with liver regeneration. We investigated the effects of n-3 PUFA on hepatic tight junction (TJs) and liver regeneration after 70% partial hepatectomy (PH) in rats...
- Sirtuin 1-mediated cellular metabolic memory of high glucose via the LKB1/AMPK/ROS pathway and therapeutic effects of metforminZhi Zheng
Department of Ophthalmology, First People s Hospital of Shanghai, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Diabetes 61:217-28. 2012..ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) activity through the upregulation of liver kinase B1/AMP-activated protein kinase (LKB1/AMPK), ultimately suppressing NF-κB and Bax expression...
- Curcumin differentially regulates endoplasmic reticulum stress through transcriptional corepressor SMILE (small heterodimer partner-interacting leucine zipper protein)-mediated inhibition of CREBH (cAMP responsive element-binding protein H)Jagannath Misra
Center for Nuclear Receptor Signals, Hormone Research Center, School of Biological Science and Technology, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 286:41972-84. 2011..small heterodimer partner-interacting leucine zipper protein (SMILE) gene expression through liver kinase B1 (LKB1)/adenosine monophosphate-activated kinase (AMPK) signaling pathway and represses ER stress-responsive gene ..
- Thromboxane receptor activates the AMP-activated protein kinase in vascular smooth muscle cells via hydrogen peroxideMiao Zhang
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, 941 Stanton L Young Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Circ Res 102:328-37. 2008..exposure of VSMCs to either TPr agonists or exogenous H2O2 dose-dependently increased the phosphorylation of LKB1 (at serines 428 and 307), an AMPK kinase, as well as coimmunoprecipitation of AMPK with LKB1...
- Expression of an active LKB1 complex in cardiac myocytes results in decreased protein synthesis associated with phenylephrine-induced hypertrophyAnna A Noga
Cardiovascular Research Group, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Univ of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H1460-9. 2007AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is a major metabolic regulator in the cardiac myocyte. Recently, LKB1 was identified as a kinase that regulates AMPK...
- Loss of Lkb1 provokes highly invasive endometrial adenocarcinomasCristina M Contreras
Department of Pathology, Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9072, USA
Cancer Res 68:759-66. 2008Mutations in the LKB1 tumor suppressor gene result in the Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, an autosomal dominant condition characterized by hamartomatous polyps of the gastrointestinal tract and a dramatically increased risk of epithelial ..
- Lkb1 deficiency causes prostate neoplasia in the mouseHelen B Pearson
Cardiff University, School of Biosciences, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 68:2223-32. 2008Mutation of LKB1 is the key molecular event underlying Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, a dominantly inherited condition characterized by a predisposition to a range of malignancies, including those of the reproductive system...
- Resveratrol inhibits cardiac hypertrophy via AMP-activated protein kinase and AktAnita Y M Chan
Cardiovascular Research Group and the Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:24194-201. 2008..via AMPK activation and Akt inhibition, and in the case of AMPK, is dependent on the presence of the AMPK kinase, LKB1. Taken together, our data suggest that resveratrol exerts anti-hypertrophic effects by activating AMPK via LKB1 and ..
- Thyroid hormone effects on LKB1, MO25, phospho-AMPK, phospho-CREB, and PGC-1alpha in rat muscleD J Branvold
Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:1218-27. 2008..Activity of AMPK in skeletal muscle is regulated principally by the upstream kinase, LKB1. This experiment was designed to determine whether the increase in AMPK activity is accompanied by increased ..
- Does LKB1 mediate activation of hepatic AMP-protein kinase (AMPK) and sirtuin1 (SIRT1) after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in obese rats?Yanhua Peng
Department of Surgery, James A Haley Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of South Florida, C O Tampa General Hospital, P O Box 1289, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 14:221-8. 2010..b>LKB1 phosphorylates AMPK and may activate SIRT1...
- Regulation of bile canalicular network formation and maintenance by AMP-activated protein kinase and LKB1Dong Fu
Cell Biology and Metabolism Program, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Cell Sci 123:3294-302. 2010..The current study investigates the effects of AMPK and its upstream activator LKB1 on polarity and bile canalicular network formation and maintenance in collagen sandwich cultures of rat hepatocytes...
- Mutations and aberrant transcriptions of Stk11 (Lkb1) gene in rat liver tumorsNaoko Wakabayashi
Division of Cancer Biology and Bioinformatics, Department of Life Science, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Kinki University, Higashiosaka, Osaka 577 8502, Japan
Anticancer Res 31:543-7. 2011To clarify the involvement of the Stk11/Lkb1 gene in the development of hepatocellular carcinomas (HCCs), its alteration in rat HCCs induced by exogenous and endogenous liver carcinogenesis models was investigated.
- AMPK induces vascular smooth muscle cell senescence via LKB1 dependent pathwayJin Young Sung
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Yeungnam University, Daegu 705 717, Republic of Korea 717, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 413:143-8. 2011..Adriamycin progressively increased the mRNA and protein expressions of AMPK. The phosphorylation levels of LKB1 and acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC), the upstream and downstream of AMPK, were dramatically increased by adriamycin ..
- LKB1/STRAD promotes axon initiation during neuronal polarizationMaya Shelly
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Cell 129:565-77. 2007..In cultured hippocampal neurons, the accumulation of LKB1 and STRAD, two interacting proteins critical for establishing epithelial polarity, in an undifferentiated neurite ..
- Activation of lipoprotein lipase by glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide in adipocytes. A role for a protein kinase B, LKB1, and AMP-activated protein kinase cascadeSu Jin Kim
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, The Diabetes Research Group, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:8557-67. 2007..through a pathway involving increased phosphorylation of protein kinase B (PKB) and reductions in phosphorylated LKB1 and AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)...
- LKB1, an upstream AMPK kinase, regulates glucose and lipid metabolism in cultured liver and muscle cellsKenta Imai
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, Saitama Medical School, Iruma gun, Saitama 350 0495, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 351:595-601. 2006b>LKB1 is a 50 kDa serine/threonine kinase that phosphorylates and activates the catalytic subunit of AMPK at its T-loop residue Thr 172...
- Identification of transmembrane proteins as potential prognostic markers and therapeutic targets in breast cancer by a screen for signal sequence encoding transcriptsS Esseghir
Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre, The Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
J Pathol 210:420-30. 2006....
- LKB1 protein expression in human breast cancerHubert Fenton
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 14:146-53. 2006Peutz-Jeghers syndrome is caused by germline mutations in the LKB1/STK11 gene...
- Fatty acids stimulate AMP-activated protein kinase and enhance fatty acid oxidation in L6 myotubesMatthew J Watt
Cellular and Molecular Metabolism Laboratory, School of Medical Sciences, RMIT University, Victoria, Australia
J Physiol 574:139-47. 2006..The activity of the upstream kinase LKB1 was decreased by fatty acid treatment indicating that AMPK activation was not a consequence of LKB1 activation...
- Activation of cardiac AMP-activated protein kinase by LKB1 expression or chemical hypoxia is blunted by increased Akt activityCarrie Lynn M Soltys
Cardiovascular Research Group, Department of Pediatrics, 474 Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2S2
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H2472-9. 2006..Akt directly phosphorylates AMPKalpha(1)/alpha(2) on Ser(485/491) in vitro and prevents the AMPK kinase (AMPKK) LKB1 from phosphorylating AMPKalpha at its primary activation site, Thr(172) (S Horman, D Vertommen, R Heath, D Neumann, ..
- LKB1-AMPK signaling in muscle from obese insulin-resistant Zucker rats and effects of trainingApiradee Sriwijitkamol
Diabetes Division, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E925-32. 2006..We compared AMPK and ACC phosphorylation and the protein content of the upstream AMPK kinase LKB1 and the AMPK-regulated transcriptional coactivator PPARgamma coactivator-1 (PGC-1) in gastrocnemius of sedentary ..
- Endurance training increases skeletal muscle LKB1 and PGC-1alpha protein abundance: effects of time and intensityEric B Taylor
Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology, 545 WIDB, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E960-8. 2005Recent research suggests that LKB1 is the major AMP-activated protein kinase kinase (AMPKK). Peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) is a master coordinator of mitochondrial biogenesis...
- The AMP-activated protein kinase pathway--new players upstream and downstreamD Grahame Hardie
Division of Molecular Physiology, Wellcome Trust Biocentre, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee, DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
J Cell Sci 117:5479-87. 2004..AMP binding causes activation by a sensitive mechanism involving phosphorylation of AMPK by the tumour suppressor LKB1. Once activated, AMPK switches on catabolic pathways that generate ATP while switching off ATP-consuming processes...
- Glucagon represses signaling through the mammalian target of rapamycin in rat liver by activating AMP-activated protein kinaseScot R Kimball
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 279:54103-9. 2004..The repression was associated with the activation of protein kinase A and enhanced phosphorylation of LKB1 and the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)...
- Endurance training increases LKB1 and MO25 protein but not AMP-activated protein kinase kinase activity in skeletal muscleE B Taylor
Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 287:E1082-9. 2004b>LKB1 complexed with MO25 and STRAD has been identified as an AMP-activated protein kinase kinase (AMPKK)...
- Activity of LKB1 and AMPK-related kinases in skeletal muscle: effects of contraction, phenformin, and AICARKei Sakamoto
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 287:E310-7. 2004..We recently found that, in cultured cells, the LKB1 tumor suppressor protein kinase activates AMPK in response to the metformin analog phenformin and the AMP mimetic ..
- Mutations in the STK11 gene characterize minimal deviation adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervixChie Kuragaki
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka University Faculty of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Lab Invest 83:35-45. 2003..A serine threonine kinase gene, STK11, has been identified as the tumor suppressor gene responsible for the PJS...
- The tumor suppressor gene LKB1 is associated with prognosis in human breast carcinomaZan Shen
Department of Surgery, Cancer Hospital Cancer Institute, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
Clin Cancer Res 8:2085-90. 2002LKB1 (also called STK11) is a recently identified tumor suppressor gene in which its mutation can lead to Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, characterized by gastrointestinal polyps and cancers of different organ systems...
- Mutational analysis of STK11 gene in ovarian carcinomasY Nishioka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Hokkaido
Jpn J Cancer Res 90:629-32. 1999Recently STK11, the causative gene of Peutz-Jeghers syndrome (PJS) was identified on chromosome 19p13.3. PJS is often accompanied by several malignancies, including breast tumor, adenoma malignum of the uterine cervix, and ovarian tumor...
- REGULATION OF PROTEIN TURNOVER IN SEPSISScot R Kimball; Fiscal Year: 2010....