Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: INS
Alias: insulin, preproinsulin, proinsulin
- The last enzyme of the de novo purine synthesis pathway 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribonucleotide formyltransferase/IMP cyclohydrolase (ATIC) plays a central role in insulin signaling and the Golgi/endosomes protein networkMartial Boutchueng-Djidjou
From the Département de Pédiatrie, Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire
Mol Cell Proteomics 14:1079-92. 2015b>Insulin is internalized with its cognate receptor into the endosomal apparatus rapidly after binding to hepatocytes...
- Amino acid sequence determinants in self-assembly of insulin chiral amyloid superstructures: role of C-terminus of B-chain in association of fibrilsViktoria Babenko
Department of Chemistry, University of Warsaw, Pasteura 1, 02 093 Warsaw, Poland
FEBS Lett 587:625-30. 2013..amyloid superstructures is a newly recognised phenomenon observed upon agitation-assisted fibrillation of bovine insulin. Here, by surveying several amyloidogenic precursors we examine whether formation of such entities is unique to ..
- Thermodynamic contributions to the stability of the insulin hexamerGeorge P Lisi
Department of Chemistry, Dartmouth College, 6128 Burke Laboratory, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, United States
Biochemistry 53:3576-84. 2014The insulin hexamer is resistant to degradation and fibrillation, which makes it an important quaternary structure for its in vivo storage in Zn(2+)- and Ca(2+)-rich vesicles in the pancreas and for pharmaceutical formulations...
- The study of regulatory effects of Pdx-1, MafA and NeuroD1 on the activity of porcine insulin promoter and the expression of human islet amyloid polypeptideXiao Dan Liu
Key Laboratory for Farm Animal Genetic Resources and Utilization of Ministry of Agriculture of China, Institute of Animal Science, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science, Beijing, 100193, People s Republic of China
Mol Cell Biochem 394:59-66. 2014The purpose of the present study was to determine the activation of porcine insulin promoter (PIP) by three transcription factors: pancreatic and duodenal homeobox 1 (Pdx-1), v-maf musculoaponeurotic fibrosarcoma oncogene (MafA) and ..
- Insulin/insulin-like growth factor I hybrid receptors have different biological characteristics depending on the insulin receptor isoform involvedGiuseppe Pandini
Istituto di Medicina Interna, Malattie Endocrine e del Metabolismo, University of Catania, Ospedale Garibaldi, 95123 Catania, Italy
J Biol Chem 277:39684-95. 2002The insulin receptor (IR) and the insulin-like growth factor I receptor (IGF-IR) have a highly homologous structure, but different biological effects...
- Cultured trout liver cells: utilization of substrates and response to hormonesH Segner
Department of Zoology II, University of Karlsruhe, FRG
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 30:306-11. 1994..dihydroxyacetone, and glycerol for glucose and lactate formation; b) the effects of the pancreatic hormones insulin and glucagon on cellular glucose formation, lactate formation, and fatty acid synthesis; and c) the effects of ..
- Growth hormone, interferon-gamma, and leukemia inhibitory factor promoted tyrosyl phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate-1L S Argetsinger
Department of Physiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0622, USA
J Biol Chem 270:14685-92. 1995..In the present study, GH is shown to stimulate tyrosyl phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate 1 (IRS-1), the principle substrate of the insulin receptor...
- Evidence for a functional role of Shc proteins in mitogenic signaling induced by insulin, insulin-like growth factor-1, and epidermal growth factorT Sasaoka
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093
J Biol Chem 269:13689-94. 1994Shc proteins contain a single SH2 domain, lack catalytic activity, and are substrates for activated receptors for insulin, insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), and epidermal growth factor (EGF)...
- X-ray crystallographic studies on hexameric insulins in the presence of helix-stabilizing agents, thiocyanate, methylparaben, and phenolJ L Whittingham
Department of Chemistry, University of York, Heslington, England
Biochemistry 34:15553-63. 1995Three X-ray crystallographic studies have been carried out on pig insulin in the presence of three ligands, thiocyanate, methylparaben (methyl p-hydroxybenzoate), and phenol...
- Interplay of adiponectin, TNFα and insulin on gene expression, glucose uptake and PPARγ, AKT and TOR pathways in rainbow trout cultured adipocytesMarta Bou
Department of Physiology and Immunology, Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona, Barcelona 08028, Spain
Gen Comp Endocrinol 205:218-25. 2014..trout adipocytes, obtained from visceral adipose tissue, the interplay of the adiponectin system, TNFα and insulin at a transcriptional level and, their effects on the adipogenic transcription factor PPARγ, as well as on the ..
- Replacement of insulin receptor tyrosine residues 1162 and 1163 compromises insulin-stimulated kinase activity and uptake of 2-deoxyglucoseL Ellis
Cell 45:721-32. 1986b>Insulin stimulates the autophosphorylation of tyrosine residues of the beta subunit of the insulin receptor (IR); this modified insulin-independent kinase has increased activity toward exogenous substrates in vitro...
- Both type I and II insulin-like growth factor receptor binding increase during lactogenesis in bovine mammary tissueM H Dehoff
Department of Dairy Science, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611
Endocrinology 122:2412-7. 1988Bovine GH is a potent stimulant of lactation, and the insulin-like growth factors I and II (IGF-I and -II) are believed to mediate GH's growth-promoting actions...
- The effect of exposing a critical hydrophobic patch on amyloidogenicity and fibril structure of insulinYang Li
Tongji School of Pharmacy, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 440:56-61. 2013..In this study, insulin was used as a model to investigate the effect of exposing a critical hydrophobic patch on amyloidogenicity and ..
- The structure of 2Zn pig insulin crystals at 1.5 A resolutionE N Baker
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 319:369-456. 1988The paper describes the arrangement of the atoms within rhombohedral crystals of 2Zn pig insulin as seen in electron density maps calculated from X-ray data extending to 1...
- Permanent neonatal diabetes in INS(C94Y) transgenic pigsSimone Renner
Chair for Molecular Animal Breeding and Biotechnology, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Munich, Germany
Diabetes 62:1505-11. 2013Mutations in the insulin (INS) gene may cause permanent neonatal diabetes mellitus (PNDM). Ins2 mutant mouse models provided important insights into the disease mechanisms of PNDM but have limitations for translational research...
- Activation of promoter activity of the catalytic subunit of γ-glutamylcysteine ligase (GCL) in brain endothelial cells by insulin requires antioxidant response element 4 and altered glycemic status: implication for GCL expression and GSH synthesisJ William Langston
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center at Shreveport, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 51:1749-57. 2011Our recent finding that insulin increased the expression of the glutamate-cysteine ligase catalytic subunit (GCLc) with coincident increases in GCL activity and cellular glutathione (GSH) in human brain microvascular endothelial cells (..
- Effects of dietary carbohydrate sources on plasma glucose, insulin and IGF-I levels in multiparous sowsJ G M Wientjes
Department of Animal Sciences, Adaptation Physiology Group, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 96:494-505. 2012Effects of different carbohydrate sources on plasma glucose, insulin and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) levels were compared to subsequently be able to study effects of insulin-stimulating diets on follicle development in sows...
- Acute exposure to streptozotocin but not human proinflammatory cytokines impairs neonatal porcine islet insulin secretion in vitro but not in vivoGeorge Harb
Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Xenotransplantation 14:580-90. 2007..Therefore, we also examined NPI function after acute oxidative stress caused by streptozotocin (STZ), a nitric oxide-generating beta cell cytotoxin...
- SOCS3 inhibits insulin signaling in porcine primary adipocytesShuang Juan Yang
Laboratory of Animal Fat Deposition and Muscle Development, College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A and F University, 22 Xinong Road, Yangling, 712100, Shaanxi Province, People s Republic of China
Mol Cell Biochem 345:45-52. 2010b>Insulin resistance is a major player in the pathogenesis of type II diabetes, the metabolic syndrome, and obesity. SOCS3 plays an important role in the development of insulin resistance...
- Effects of feeding pattern on ghrelin and insulin secretion in pigsC B Reynolds
Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, Raleigh, NC 27695 7621, USA
Domest Anim Endocrinol 39:90-6. 2010..Plasma concentrations of ghrelin and insulin were determined by radioimmunoassay...
- A neutron crystallographic analysis of T6 porcine insulin at 2.1 A resolutionWakari Iwai
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Ibaraki University, Hitachi, Ibaraki 316 8511, Japan
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 65:1042-50. 2009Neutron diffraction data for T(6) porcine insulin were collected to 2.1 A resolution from a single crystal partly deuterated by exchange of mother liquor...
- Specific transgene expression in mouse pancreatic beta-cells under the control of the porcine insulin promoterMarjeta Grzech
Chair for Molecular Animal Breeding and Biotechnology, Gene Center, LMU Munich, Feodor Lynen Str 25, 81377 Munich, Germany
Mol Cell Endocrinol 315:219-24. 2010..The rat insulin 2 gene (Ins2) promoter, widely used to achieve transgene expression in pancreatic beta-cells of mice, also ..
- Decoding the cryptic active conformation of a protein by synthetic photoscanning: insulin inserts a detachable arm between receptor domainsBin Xu
Department of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 284:14597-608. 2009..A model is provided by insulin, a vertebrate hormone central to the control of metabolism...
- Effect of feeding allowance level on embryonic survival, IGF-1, insulin, GH, leptin and progesterone secretion in early pregnancy giltsW De
Animal Nutrition Institute of Sichuan Agricultural University, Sichuan, Ya an, China
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 93:577-85. 2009..Concentrations of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF)-1, insulin, growth harmone (GH), leptin and progesterone in serum and uterine ..
- Contribution of the conserved A16Leu to insulin foldabilityZhao Jun Zhang
Institute of Molecular Biology, College of Life Sciences, Nan Kai University, Tian Jin 300071, China
Protein J 27:192-6. 2008Contributions of the evolutionarily conserved A16Leu and B17Leu to insulin foldability were characterized by evaluating folding properties of single-chain insulin analogs...
- Structure of porcine insulin cocrystallized with clupeine ZP Balschmidt
Novo Nordisk A S, Gentofte, Denmark
Acta Crystallogr B 47:975-86. 1991The crystal structure of NPH-insulin, pig insulin cocrystallized with zinc, m-cresol and protamine, has been solved by molecular replacement and refined using restrained least-squares refinement methods...
- In vitro insulin refolding: characterization of the intermediates and the putative folding pathwayYueHua Tang
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, 200031, China
Sci China C Life Sci 50:717-25. 2007The in vitro refolding process of the double-chain insulin was studied based on the investigation of in vitro single-chain insulin refolding...
- In vitro folding/unfolding of insulin/single-chain insulinZhi Song Qiao
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, 320 Yue Yang Road, Shanghai 200031, China
Protein Pept Lett 13:423-9. 2006..the in vitro oxidative folding process of two single-chain insulins: porcine insulin precursor (PIP) and human proinsulin (HPI)...
- Altered ionization of the B13 Glu in insulin B9 and B10 mutants: a computational analysisRichard B Greaves
Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5YW, UK
Protein Eng Des Sel 17:557-63. 2004..50 units has been reported for the B13 Glu residue in a dimeric B9 Ser --> Asp insulin mutant relative to the native dimer...
- Structure of monomeric porcine DesB1-B2 despentapeptide (B26-B30) insulin at 1.65 A resolutionJ S Diao
National Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 53:507-12. 1997b>Insulin has a concentration of 10(-8)-10(-11) M in the blood which ensures that it circulates and exerts its physiological functions in vivo as a monomer...
- A regulatory mutation in IGF2 causes a major QTL effect on muscle growth in the pigAnne Sophie Van Laere
Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala University, BMC, Box 597, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Nature 425:832-6. 2003..paternally expressed QTL affecting muscle growth, fat deposition and size of the heart in pigs maps to the IGF2 (insulin-like growth factor 2) region...
- Comparative sequence analysis of the INS-IGF2-H19 gene cluster in pigsValerie Amarger
Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Box 597, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Mamm Genome 13:388-98. 2002..Here we report two sequence contigs together comprising almost 90 kb containing the INS-IGF2 and H19 genes...
- Porcine proinsulin: characterization and amino acid sequenceR E Chance
Science 161:165-7. 1968b>Proinsulin in nearly homogeneous form has been isolated from a preparation of porcine insulin. A molecular weight close to 9100 was calculated from the amino acid composition and from sedimentation-equilibrium studies...
- Structure of the pig insulin dimer in the cubic crystalJ Badger
Department of Physics, University of York, England
Acta Crystallogr B 47:127-36. 1991Atomic coordinates for pig insulin in the cubic crystal have been refined by reciprocal-space methods to an R factor of 0.173 for data between 10.0 and 1...