Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt8a
Description: wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 8A
Alias: Stra11, Wnt-8A, Wnt-8D, Wnt8d, protein Wnt-8a, protein Wnt-8d, stimulated by retinoic acid gene 11 protein, wingless-related MMTV integration site 8A, wingless-related MMTV integration site 8D, wnt-8
- Kimura Yoshida C, Nakano H, Okamura D, Nakao K, Yonemura S, Belo J, et al. Canonical Wnt signaling and its antagonist regulate anterior-posterior axis polarization by guiding cell migration in mouse visceral endoderm. Dev Cell. 2005;9:639-50 pubmed..We propose that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling mediates A-P axis polarization by guiding cell migration toward the prospective anterior in the pregastrula mouse embryo...
- Mahoney Rogers A, Zhang J, Shim K. Sprouty1 and Sprouty2 limit both the size of the otic placode and hindbrain Wnt8a by antagonizing FGF signaling. Dev Biol. 2011;353:94-104 pubmed publisher..The enlargement of the otic placode observed in Spry1?/?; Spry2?/? embryos is preceded by an expansion of a Wnt8a expression domain in the adjacent hindbrain...
- Bouillet P, Oulad Abdelghani M, Ward S, Bronner S, Chambon P, Dolle P. A new mouse member of the Wnt gene family, mWnt-8, is expressed during early embryogenesis and is ectopically induced by retinoic acid. Mech Dev. 1996;58:141-52 pubmed..We also show that mWnt-8 expression is ectopically induced in the rostral neural plate in response to RA exposure of presumitic (7-7.5 days post coitum) cultured mouse embryos. ..
- Urness L, Paxton C, Wang X, Schoenwolf G, Mansour S. FGF signaling regulates otic placode induction and refinement by controlling both ectodermal target genes and hindbrain Wnt8a. Dev Biol. 2010;340:595-604 pubmed publisher..Assays of hindbrain Wnt genes revealed that only Wnt8a was reduced or absent in FGF-deficient embryos, and that even some Fgf3(-)(/)(-);Fgf10(-)(/+) and Fgf3(-)(/)(-) ..
- Kwon C, Arnold J, Hsiao E, Taketo M, Conklin B, Srivastava D. Canonical Wnt signaling is a positive regulator of mammalian cardiac progenitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:10894-9 pubmed..Together, these data provide in vivo and in vitro evidence that canonical Wnt signaling promotes the expansion of cardiac progenitors and differentiation of cardiomyocytes. ..
- Mukhopadhyay M, Teufel A, Yamashita T, Agulnick A, Chen L, Downs K, et al. Functional ablation of the mouse Ldb1 gene results in severe patterning defects during gastrulation. Development. 2003;130:495-505 pubmed..The expression of several Wnt inhibitors is curtailed in the mutant, suggesting that Wnt pathways may be involved in axial patterning regulated by Ldb1. ..
- Zhang T, Hoffman B, Ruiz de Algara T, Helgason C. SAGE reveals expression of Wnt signalling pathway members during mouse prostate development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:310-24 pubmed..These studies provide the first evidence that Wnt pathway members are expressed in the developing prostate. Functional analyses are now required to establish the biological significance of this observation. ..
- Liu Y, Shi J, Lu C, Wang Z, Lyuksyutova A, Song X, et al. Ryk-mediated Wnt repulsion regulates posterior-directed growth of corticospinal tract. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:1151-9 pubmed..Intrathecal injection of anti-Ryk blocked the posterior growth of CST axons. Therefore, Wnt proteins may have a general role in anterior-posterior guidance of multiple classes of axons. ..
- Lewis S, Khoo P, Andrea De Young R, Bildsoe H, Wakamiya M, Behringer R, et al. Genetic interaction of Gsc and Dkk1 in head morphogenesis of the mouse. Mech Dev. 2007;124:157-165 pubmed..Our results show that Gsc and Dkk1 functions are non-redundant in the anterior mesendoderm for normal anterior development and Gsc may influence Wnt signalling as a negative regulator. ..
- Lewis S, Khoo P, De Young R, Steiner K, Wilcock C, Mukhopadhyay M, et al. Dkk1 and Wnt3 interact to control head morphogenesis in the mouse. Development. 2008;135:1791-801 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight that head development is sensitive to the level of WNT3 signalling and that DKK1 is the key antagonist that modulates WNT3 activity during anterior morphogenesis...
- Weidenfeld J, Shu W, Zhang L, Millar S, Morrisey E. The WNT7b promoter is regulated by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2 in lung epithelium. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:21061-70 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that WNT7b gene expression in the lung epithelium is regulated in a combinatorial fashion by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2. ..
- Cunningham T, Kumar S, Yamaguchi T, Duester G. Wnt8a and Wnt3a cooperate in the axial stem cell niche to promote mammalian body axis extension. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:797-807 pubmed publisher..Body axis extension requires Wnt8a in lower vertebrates, but in mammals Wnt3a is required, although the anterior trunk develops in the absence of ..
- Studer M, Lumsden A, Ariza McNaughton L, Bradley A, Krumlauf R. Altered segmental identity and abnormal migration of motor neurons in mice lacking Hoxb-1. Nature. 1996;384:630-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that, as a part of its role in maintaining rhombomere identity, Hoxb-1 is involved in controlling migratory properties of motor neurons in the hindbrain. ..
- Zhao X, Duester G. Effect of retinoic acid signaling on Wnt/beta-catenin and FGF signaling during body axis extension. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:430-5 pubmed publisher..deficient quail embryos and Raldh2(-/-) mouse embryos lacking RA synthesis exhibit ectopic expression of Fgf8 and Wnt8a in the developing trunk...
- Takemoto T, Uchikawa M, Yoshida M, Bell D, Lovell Badge R, Papaioannou V, et al. Tbx6-dependent Sox2 regulation determines neural or mesodermal fate in axial stem cells. Nature. 2011;470:394-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, Tbx6 represses Sox2 by inactivating enhancer N1 to inhibit neural development, and this is an essential step for the specification of paraxial mesoderm from the axial stem cells. ..
- Vendrell V, Vázquez Echeverría C, López Hernández I, Alonso B, Martinez S, Pujades C, et al. Roles of Wnt8a during formation and patterning of the mouse inner ear. Mech Dev. 2013;130:160-8 pubmed publisher..Due to its spatiotemporal expression during placode formation in the hindbrain Wnt8a has been postulated as a potential candidate for its specification...
- Ohyama T, Mohamed O, Taketo M, Dufort D, Groves A. Wnt signals mediate a fate decision between otic placode and epidermis. Development. 2006;133:865-75 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that Wnt signaling acts instructively to direct Pax2(+) cells to an otic placodal, rather than an epidermal, fate and promotes dorsal cell identities in the otocyst. ..
- Jaspard B, Couffinhal T, Dufourcq P, Moreau C, Duplaa C. Expression pattern of mouse sFRP-1 and mWnt-8 gene during heart morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2000;90:263-7 pubmed..Immunoprecipitation experiments demonstrates that FrzA binds to mWnt-8 in cell culture experiments. ..
- Nakamura T, Sano M, Songyang Z, Schneider M. A Wnt- and beta -catenin-dependent pathway for mammalian cardiac myogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5834-9 pubmed..Notably, Wnt3A and Wnt8A were induced days before even the earliest cardiogenic transcription factors...
- da Silva F, Rocha A, Motamedi F, Massa F, Basboga C, Morrison H, et al. Coronary Artery Formation Is Driven by Localized Expression of R-spondin3. Cell Rep. 2017;20:1745-1754 pubmed publisher..These results identify a mechanism through which localized expression of RSPO3 induces proliferation of the coronary arteries at their stems and permits their formation. ..
- Lickert H, Cox B, Wehrle C, Taketo M, Kemler R, Rossant J. Dissecting Wnt/beta-catenin signaling during gastrulation using RNA interference in mouse embryos. Development. 2005;132:2599-609 pubmed..This functional genomic approach allows the rapid identification of functionally important components of embryonic development from large datasets of putative targets. ..
- Niederreither K, Vermot J, Schuhbaur B, Chambon P, Dolle P. Retinoic acid synthesis and hindbrain patterning in the mouse embryo. Development. 2000;127:75-85 pubmed..Instead of forming a defined r4, Hoxb1- and Wnt8A-expressing cells are scattered throughout the caudal hindbrain, whereas r5/r8 markers such as kreisler or group 3/..
- Noda T, Oki S, Kitajima K, Harada T, Komune S, Meno C. Restriction of Wnt signaling in the dorsal otocyst determines semicircular canal formation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2012;362:83-93 pubmed publisher..Our stage-specific functional analysis suggests that strict regulation of canonical Wnt signaling in the dorsal otocyst orchestrates the process of semicircular canal formation...
- Agalliu D, Takada S, Agalliu I, McMahon A, Jessell T. Motor neurons with axial muscle projections specified by Wnt4/5 signaling. Neuron. 2009;61:708-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, two dorsoventral signaling pathways, mediated by Shh and Wnt4/5, are required to establish an early binary divergence in motor neuron columnar identity. ..
- Reddy S, Andl T, Bagasra A, Lu M, Epstein D, Morrisey E, et al. Characterization of Wnt gene expression in developing and postnatal hair follicles and identification of Wnt5a as a target of Sonic hedgehog in hair follicle morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;107:69-82 pubmed..These results identify candidates for several key follicular signals and suggest that WNT and SHH signaling pathways interact to regulate hair follicle morphogenesis. ..
- Dabdoub A, Donohue M, Brennan A, Wolf V, Montcouquiol M, Sassoon D, et al. Wnt signaling mediates reorientation of outer hair cell stereociliary bundles in the mammalian cochlea. Development. 2003;130:2375-84 pubmed..We propose that Wnt signaling across the region of developing outer hair cells gives rise to planar polarity in the mammalian cochlea. ..
- Wright K, Mahoney Rogers A, Zhang J, Shim K. Cooperative and independent functions of FGF and Wnt signaling during early inner ear development. BMC Dev Biol. 2015;15:33 pubmed publisher..However, in the mouse, although FGF signaling induces Wnt8a expression during induction of the otic placode, it is unclear whether these two signaling pathways functionally ..
- Bayle J, Fitch J, Jacobsen K, Kumar R, Lafyatis R, Lemaire R. Increased expression of Wnt2 and SFRP4 in Tsk mouse skin: role of Wnt signaling in altered dermal fibrillin deposition and systemic sclerosis. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:871-81 pubmed..Lesional skin from SSc patients also showed large increases in SFRP4 mRNA and protein levels in the deep dermis compared to healthy skin, suggesting that the Wnt pathway might regulate skin fibrosis in SSc. ..
- Ang S, Stump R, Lovicu F, McAvoy J. Spatial and temporal expression of Wnt and Dickkopf genes during murine lens development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:289-95 pubmed..In situ hybridisation showed that Wnt5a, Wnt5b, Wnt7a, Wnt7b, Wnt8a and Wnt8b genes are expressed throughout the early lens primordia. At embryonic day 14.5 (E14...
- Kimura T, Nakamura T, Murayama K, Umehara H, Yamano N, Watanabe S, et al. The stabilization of beta-catenin leads to impaired primordial germ cell development via aberrant cell cycle progression. Dev Biol. 2006;300:545-53 pubmed..Our results show that the suppression of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is a prerequisite for the normal development of PGCs. ..
- Lindsley R, Gill J, Kyba M, Murphy T, Murphy K. Canonical Wnt signaling is required for development of embryonic stem cell-derived mesoderm. Development. 2006;133:3787-96 pubmed
- Merki E, Zamora M, Raya A, Kawakami Y, Wang J, Zhang X, et al. Epicardial retinoid X receptor alpha is required for myocardial growth and coronary artery formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18455-60 pubmed
- Wong E, Wang X, Mak S, Sae Pang J, Ling K, Fritzsch B, et al. Hoxb3 negatively regulates Hoxb1 expression in mouse hindbrain patterning. Dev Biol. 2011;352:382-92 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a novel negative regulatory mechanism by which Hoxb3 as a posterior gene serves to restrict Hoxb1 expression in r4 by direct transcriptional repression to maintain the rhombomere identity. ..
- Lickert H, Kispert A, Kutsch S, Kemler R. Expression patterns of Wnt genes in mouse gut development. Mech Dev. 2001;105:181-4 pubmed..5. Wnt11 is highly expressed at the gastro-esophageal junctions, while Wnt4 is found in the epithelium lining the pyloric region of the stomach but not in the epithelium of the prospective gland region. ..
- Sapin V, Bouillet P, Oulad Abdelghani M, Dastugue B, Chambon P, Dolle P. Differential expression of retinoic acid-inducible (Stra) genes during mouse placentation. Mech Dev. 2000;92:295-9 pubmed..Three other Stra genes, including the AP-2-related gene AP-2gamma, are differentially expressed in the trophoblastic cell lineage. Thus, retinoids may regulate various signaling pathways in specific placental cell-types. ..
- Bouillet P, Oulad Abdelghani M, Vicaire S, Garnier J, Schuhbaur B, Dolle P, et al. Efficient cloning of cDNAs of retinoic acid-responsive genes in P19 embryonal carcinoma cells and characterization of a novel mouse gene, Stra1 (mouse LERK-2/Eplg2). Dev Biol. 1995;170:420-33 pubmed..We also report the sequence and expression pattern in mouse embryos and adult tissues of one of these novel RA-inducible genes, Stra1, and show that it corresponds to the mouse ligand for the Cek5 receptor protein-tyrosine kinase. ..