Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt7a
Description: wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 7A
Alias: AI849442, Wnt-7a, protein Wnt-7a, postaxial hemimelia, wingless-related MMTV integration site 7A
- Yang A, Schweitzer R, Sun D, Kaghad M, Walker N, Bronson R, et al. p63 is essential for regenerative proliferation in limb, craniofacial and epithelial development. Nature. 1999;398:714-8 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that p63 is critical for maintaining the progenitor-cell populations that are necessary to sustain epithelial development and morphogenesis...
- Cygan J, Johnson R, McMahon A. Novel regulatory interactions revealed by studies of murine limb pattern in Wnt-7a and En-1 mutants. Development. 1997;124:5021-32 pubmed..Unlike the normal AER, ectopic AER formation is dependent upon Wnt-7a activity, indicating that distinct genetic mechanisms may be involved in primary and secondary AER formation. ..
- Ito M, Yang Z, Andl T, Cui C, Kim N, Millar S, et al. Wnt-dependent de novo hair follicle regeneration in adult mouse skin after wounding. Nature. 2007;447:316-20 pubmed..These findings suggest treatments for wounds, hair loss and other degenerative skin disorders. ..
- Adamska M, MacDonald B, Sarmast Z, Oliver E, Meisler M. En1 and Wnt7a interact with Dkk1 during limb development in the mouse. Dev Biol. 2004;272:134-44 pubmed..Missing digits are one consequence of the reduced Wnt signaling in Wnt7a null mice, while extra digits result from excess Wnt signaling in mice null for the Wnt antagonist Dkk1...
- Chiang C, Litingtung Y, Harris M, Simandl B, Li Y, Beachy P, et al. Manifestation of the limb prepattern: limb development in the absence of sonic hedgehog function. Dev Biol. 2001;236:421-35 pubmed..According to this model, the limb bud signaling centers, including the zone of polarizing activity (ZPA) acting through Shh, are required to elaborate upon the axial information provided by the native limb field prepattern. ..
- Bentzinger C, Wang Y, von Maltzahn J, Soleimani V, Yin H, Rudnicki M. Fibronectin regulates Wnt7a signaling and satellite cell expansion. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;12:75-87 pubmed publisher..in satellite cells and that binding of the ECM glycoprotein Fibronectin (FN) to Sdc4 stimulates the ability of Wnt7a to induce the symmetric expansion of satellite stem cells...
- Le Grand F, Jones A, Seale V, Scime A, Rudnicki M. Wnt7a activates the planar cell polarity pathway to drive the symmetric expansion of satellite stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;4:535-47 pubmed publisher..We found that quiescent satellite stem cells expressed the Wnt receptor Fzd7 and that its candidate ligand Wnt7a was upregulated during regeneration...
- Adamska M, Billi A, Cheek S, Meisler M. Genetic interaction between Wnt7a and Lrp6 during patterning of dorsal and posterior structures of the mouse limb. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:368-72 pubmedb>Wnt7a and the Wnt coreceptor Lrp6 are both required for development of posterior digits and dorsal structures of the limb...
- Selever J, Liu W, Lu M, Behringer R, Martin J. Bmp4 in limb bud mesoderm regulates digit pattern by controlling AER development. Dev Biol. 2004;276:268-79 pubmed..Our data show that Bmp4 in limb mesoderm regulates AER induction and maturation and implicate signaling from the AER in regulation of digit number and identity. ..
- Chen A, Ginty D, Fan C. Protein kinase A signalling via CREB controls myogenesis induced by Wnt proteins. Nature. 2005;433:317-22 pubmed..Our findings raise the possibility that PKA/CREB signalling may also contribute to other Wnt-regulated processes in embryonic patterning, stem cell renewal and cancer. ..
- Soshnikova N, Zechner D, Huelsken J, Mishina Y, Behringer R, Taketo M, et al. Genetic interaction between Wnt/beta-catenin and BMP receptor signaling during formation of the AER and the dorsal-ventral axis in the limb. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1963-8 pubmed..Thus, AER formation and dorsal-ventral patterning of limbs are tightly controlled by an intricate interplay between Wnt/beta-catenin and BMP receptor signaling. ..
- Dabdoub A, Donohue M, Brennan A, Wolf V, Montcouquiol M, Sassoon D, et al. Wnt signaling mediates reorientation of outer hair cell stereociliary bundles in the mammalian cochlea. Development. 2003;130:2375-84 pubmed..In vitro application of Wnt7a protein or inhibitors of Wnt signaling, secreted Frizzled-related protein 1 or Wnt inhibitory factor 1, disrupts ..
- Parr B, McMahon A. Dorsalizing signal Wnt-7a required for normal polarity of D-V and A-P axes of mouse limb. Nature. 1995;374:350-3 pubmed..Many mutant mice also lack posterior digits, demonstrating that Wnt-7a is also required for anterior-posterior patterning. We propose that normal limb development requires interactions between the signalling systems for these two axes. ..
- von Maltzahn J, Bentzinger C, Rudnicki M. Wnt7a-Fzd7 signalling directly activates the Akt/mTOR anabolic growth pathway in skeletal muscle. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;14:186-91 pubmed publisherb>Wnt7a signals through its receptor Fzd7 to activate the planar-cell-polarity pathway and drive the symmetric expansion of satellite stem cells resulting in enhanced repair of skeletal muscle...
- Loomis C, Harris E, Michaud J, Wurst W, Hanks M, Joyner A. The mouse Engrailed-1 gene and ventral limb patterning. Nature. 1996;382:360-3 pubmed..Engrailed-1 seems to act in part by repressing dorsal differentiation induced by Wnt-7a, and is essential for proper formation of the apical ectodermal ridge. ..
- Wodarz A, Nusse R. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 1998;14:59-88 pubmed..Here we review recent data that have started to unravel the mechanisms of Wnt signaling. ..
- Parr B, Shea M, Vassileva G, McMahon A. Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb buds. Development. 1993;119:247-61 pubmed..We discuss the significance of these patterns of restricted and partially overlapping domains of expression with respect to the putative function of Wnt signalling in early CNS and limb development. ..
- Ahmad Annuar A, Ciani L, Simeonidis I, Herreros J, Fredj N, Rosso S, et al. Signaling across the synapse: a role for Wnt and Dishevelled in presynaptic assembly and neurotransmitter release. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:127-39 pubmed..Loss of Wnt7a function leads to defects in the localization of presynaptic markers and in the morphology of the presynaptic ..
- Hall A, Lucas F, Salinas P. Axonal remodeling and synaptic differentiation in the cerebellum is regulated by WNT-7a signaling. Cell. 2000;100:525-35 pubmed..Wnt-7a mutant mice show a delay in the morphological maturation of glomerular rosettes and in the accumulation of synapsin I. We propose that WNT-7a can function as a synaptogenic factor. ..
- Loomis C, Kimmel R, Tong C, Michaud J, Joyner A. Analysis of the genetic pathway leading to formation of ectopic apical ectodermal ridges in mouse Engrailed-1 mutant limbs. Development. 1998;125:1137-48 pubmed..A detailed genetic analysis of wild-type, En1 and Wnt7a mutant limb buds during AER development has delineated a role for En1 in normal AER formation...
- von Maltzahn J, Zinoviev R, Chang N, Bentzinger C, Rudnicki M. A truncated Wnt7a retains full biological activity in skeletal muscle. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2869 pubmed publisher..We generate a truncated Wnt7a variant, consisting of the C-terminal 137 amino acids lacking the conserved palmitoylation sites and show that it ..
- von Maltzahn J, Renaud J, Parise G, Rudnicki M. Wnt7a treatment ameliorates muscular dystrophy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:20614-9 pubmed publisher..b>Wnt7a signaling through its receptor Fzd7 accelerates and augments regeneration by stimulating satellite stem cell ..
- Bell S, Schreiner C, Scott W. The loss of ventral ectoderm identity correlates with the inability to form an AER in the legless hindlimb bud. Mech Dev. 1998;74:41-50 pubmed..In contrast, Wnt7a expression is initiated and maintained in the dorsal ectoderm...
- Sekine K, Ohuchi H, Fujiwara M, Yamasaki M, Yoshizawa T, Sato T, et al. Fgf10 is essential for limb and lung formation. Nat Genet. 1999;21:138-41 pubmed..Thus, we show here that Fgf10 serves as an essential regulator of lung and limb formation. ..
- Ahn K, Mishina Y, Hanks M, Behringer R, Crenshaw E. BMPR-IA signaling is required for the formation of the apical ectodermal ridge and dorsal-ventral patterning of the limb. Development. 2001;128:4449-61 pubmed..This study demonstrates that BMPR-IA signaling plays a crucial role in AER formation and in the establishment of the dorsal/ventral patterning during limb development. ..
- Ashrafi S, Lalancette Hébert M, Friese A, Sigrist M, Arber S, Shneider N, et al. Wnt7A identifies embryonic ?-motor neurons and reveals early postnatal dependence of ?-motor neurons on a muscle spindle-derived signal. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8725-31 pubmed publisher..In this study, we find that the secreted signaling molecule Wnt7a is selectively expressed in ?-MNs in the mouse spinal cord by embryonic day 17...
- Loureiro J. The Wnts. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R4 pubmed
- Pinson K, Brennan J, Monkley S, Avery B, Skarnes W. An LDL-receptor-related protein mediates Wnt signalling in mice. Nature. 2000;407:535-8 pubmed..Furthermore, we show a genetic enhancement of a Wnt mutant phenotype in mice lacking one functional copy of LRP6. Together, our results support a broad role for LRP6 in the transduction of several Wnt signals in mammals. ..
- Lucas F, Salinas P. WNT-7a induces axonal remodeling and increases synapsin I levels in cerebellar neurons. Dev Biol. 1997;192:31-44 pubmed..These results suggest a direct effect of WNT-7a in the regulation of neuronal cytoskeleton and synapsin I in granule cell neurons. We propose that WNT proteins have a novel function in the formation of neuronal connections. ..
- Suomalainen M, Thesleff I. Patterns of Wnt pathway activity in the mouse incisor indicate absence of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the epithelial stem cells. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:364-72 pubmed publisher..We conclude that epithelial stem cells in the mouse incisors are not regulated directly by Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. ..
- Tanwar P, Zhang L, Tanaka Y, Taketo M, Donahoe P, TEIXEIRA J. Focal Mullerian duct retention in male mice with constitutively activated beta-catenin expression in the Mullerian duct mesenchyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:16142-7 pubmed publisher..with added MIS in organ culture compared with control MDs when analyzed by whole mount in situ hybridization for Wnt7a as a marker for the MD epithelium...
- da Silva F, Rocha A, Motamedi F, Massa F, Basboga C, Morrison H, et al. Coronary Artery Formation Is Driven by Localized Expression of R-spondin3. Cell Rep. 2017;20:1745-1754 pubmed publisher..These results identify a mechanism through which localized expression of RSPO3 induces proliferation of the coronary arteries at their stems and permits their formation. ..
- Adamska M, MacDonald B, Meisler M. Doubleridge, a mouse mutant with defective compaction of the apical ectodermal ridge and normal dorsal-ventral patterning of the limb. Dev Biol. 2003;255:350-62 pubmed..The doubleridge AER is morphologically similar to that of En1 null mice, but the expression of En1 and Wnt7a is properly restricted in doubleridge, and the dorsal and ventral structures are correctly determined...
- Horn Z, Papachristou P, Shariatmadari M, Peyronnet J, Eriksson B, Ringstedt T. Wnt7a overexpression delays beta-tubulin III expression in transgenic mouse embryos. Brain Res. 2007;1130:67-72 pubmedb>Wnt7a and HA-tagged Wnt7a have previously been shown to promote or delay neuronal differentiation respectively. In this study, we show that embryonic days 9.5 and 10...
- Liu J, Wu X, Zhang H, Qiu R, Yoshikawa K, Lu Q. Prospective separation and transcriptome analyses of cortical projection neurons and interneurons based on lineage tracing by Tbr2 (Eomes)-GFP/Dcx-mRFP reporters. Dev Neurobiol. 2016;76:587-99 pubmed publisher..These data present a resource useful for further investigation of the molecular regulations and functions of projection neurons and interneurons. ..
- Cui C, Yin M, Sima J, Childress V, Michel M, Piao Y, et al. Involvement of Wnt, Eda and Shh at defined stages of sweat gland development. Development. 2014;141:3752-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, sweat gland development shows a relay of regulatory steps initiated by Wnt/?-catenin - itself modulated by Dkk4 - with subsequent participation of Eda and Shh pathways. ..
- Davis E, Zou Y, Ghosh A. Wnts acting through canonical and noncanonical signaling pathways exert opposite effects on hippocampal synapse formation. Neural Dev. 2008;3:32 pubmed publisher..We used in situ hybridization to show that several Wnt ligands (Wnt3, Wnt5a, Wnt7a, and Wnt7b) and their receptors, Frizzled, are expressed in the developing hippocampus during the period of ..
- Dunlap K, Filant J, Hayashi K, Rucker E, Song G, Deng J, et al. Postnatal deletion of Wnt7a inhibits uterine gland morphogenesis and compromises adult fertility in mice. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:386-96 pubmed publisher..The definitive role of Wnt7a in postnatal uterine development and adult function requires a conditional knockout, because global deletion ..
- Viti J, Gulacsi A, Lillien L. Wnt regulation of progenitor maturation in the cortex depends on Shh or fibroblast growth factor 2. J Neurosci. 2003;23:5919-27 pubmed..In the present study, we show that Wnt 7a, Wnt 7b, and Sonic hedgehog (Shh) promote progenitor maturation in explant cultures, as reported for FGF2...
- Wang C, Omi M, Ferrari D, Cheng H, Lizarraga G, Chin H, et al. Function of BMPs in the apical ectoderm of the developing mouse limb. Dev Biol. 2004;269:109-22 pubmed..Our results also confirm that ectodermal BMP signaling regulates DV patterning. ..
- Aoki M, Kiyonari H, Nakamura H, Okamoto H. R-spondin2 expression in the apical ectodermal ridge is essential for outgrowth and patterning in mouse limb development. Dev Growth Differ. 2008;50:85-95 pubmed..The homozygous mutant hindlimb also showed expansion of Wnt7a expression in the dorsal ectoderm toward the ventral side...
- Farías G, Vallés A, Colombres M, Godoy J, Toledo E, Lukas R, et al. Wnt-7a induces presynaptic colocalization of alpha 7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and adenomatous polyposis coli in hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci. 2007;27:5313-25 pubmed..Modulation by Wnt signaling may be essential for alpha7-nAChR expression and function in synapses. ..
- Mock B, Connelly M, McBride O, Kozak C, Marcu K. Plasmacytoma-associated neuronal glycoprotein, Pang, maps to mouse chromosome 6 and human chromosome 3. Genomics. 1996;34:226-8 pubmed..initially mapped to mouse Chr 6 by somatic cell hybrid analysis and further positioned on the chromosome between Wnt7a and Pcp1...
- Liu C, Nakamura E, Knezevic V, Hunter S, Thompson K, Mackem S. A role for the mesenchymal T-box gene Brachyury in AER formation during limb development. Development. 2003;130:1327-37 pubmed
- Gavin B, McMahon A. Differential regulation of the Wnt gene family during pregnancy and lactation suggests a role in postnatal development of the mammary gland. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:2418-23 pubmed..We propose that Wnt-mediated signalling is involved in normal regulation of mammary development and that inappropriate expression of Wnt-1, Wnt-3, and possibly other family members can interfere with these signalling pathways. ..
- Grove E, Tole S, Limon J, Yip L, Ragsdale C. The hem of the embryonic cerebral cortex is defined by the expression of multiple Wnt genes and is compromised in Gli3-deficient mice. Development. 1998;125:2315-25 pubmed..In situ hybridization experiments demonstrate that one of the isolated Wnt genes, Wnt7a, is broadly expressed in the embryonic telencephalon...
- Miyagawa S, Moon A, Haraguchi R, Inoue C, Harada M, Nakahara C, et al. Dosage-dependent hedgehog signals integrated with Wnt/beta-catenin signaling regulate external genitalia formation as an appendicular program. Development. 2009;136:3969-78 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into the integration of growth factor signaling in the appendicular developmental programs that regulate external genitalia development...
- Qu Q, Sun G, Murai K, Ye P, Li W, Asuelime G, et al. Wnt7a regulates multiple steps of neurogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:2551-9 pubmed publisherAlthough Wnt7a has been implicated in axon guidance and synapse formation, investigations of its role in the early steps of neurogenesis have just begun...
- Anderson C, Williams V, Moyon B, Daubas P, Tajbakhsh S, Buckingham M, et al. Sonic hedgehog acts cell-autonomously on muscle precursor cells to generate limb muscle diversity. Genes Dev. 2012;26:2103-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, Shh production in the limb ZPA is essential for the spatiotemporal control of myogenesis and coordinates muscle and skeletal development by acting directly to regulate the formation of specific ventral muscles. ..
- Qiu Q, Chen H, Johnson R. Lmx1b-expressing cells in the mouse limb bud define a dorsal mesenchymal lineage compartment. Genesis. 2009;47:224-33 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that lmx1b expressing cell define a dorsal limb bud mesenchymal lineage compartment and that maintenance of this compartment depends on lmx1b function. ..
- Zhu X, Zhu H, Zhang L, Huang S, Cao J, Ma G, et al. Wls-mediated Wnts differentially regulate distal limb patterning and tissue morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;365:328-38 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a comprehensive view of the role of Wnts in limb patterning and tissue morphogenesis...
- Hoang B, Thomas J, Abdul Karim F, Correia K, Conlon R, Luyten F, et al. Expression pattern of two Frizzled-related genes, Frzb-1 and Sfrp-1, during mouse embryogenesis suggests a role for modulating action of Wnt family members. Dev Dyn. 1998;212:364-72 pubmed..We conclude from these experiments that Frzb-1 is expressed at a time and location to modulate the action of Wnt family members during development of the limbs and central nervous system. ..
- Cohen E, Ihida Stansbury K, Lu M, Panettieri R, Jones P, Morrisey E. Wnt signaling regulates smooth muscle precursor development in the mouse lung via a tenascin C/PDGFR pathway. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:2538-49 pubmed publisher..Together, these data define a Wnt/Tnc/Pdgfr signaling axis that is critical for smooth muscle development and disease progression in the lung. ..
- Weatherbee S, Anderson K, Niswander L. LDL-receptor-related protein 4 is crucial for formation of the neuromuscular junction. Development. 2006;133:4993-5000 pubmed..The identification of Lrp4 as a crucial factor for NMJ formation may have implications for human neuromuscular diseases such as myasthenia syndromes. ..
- Faux C, Rakic S, Andrews W, Yanagawa Y, Obata K, Parnavelas J. Differential gene expression in migrating cortical interneurons during mouse forebrain development. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1232-48 pubmed publisher..These data therefore provide a framework for future studies aimed at elucidating the complexities of interneuron migration and, in turn, may reveal important genes that are related to the development of specific neurological disorders. ..
- Ciani L, Boyle K, Dickins E, Sahores M, Anane D, Lopes D, et al. Wnt7a signaling promotes dendritic spine growth and synaptic strength through Ca²?/Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:10732-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that Wnt7a preferentially stimulates excitatory synapse formation and function...
- Wang W, Van de Water T, Lufkin T. Inner ear and maternal reproductive defects in mice lacking the Hmx3 homeobox gene. Development. 1998;125:621-34 pubmed..Interestingly, expression of both Hmx1 and Hmx2 is downregulated in the Hmx3 null uterus, suggesting a hierarchical relationship among the three Hmx genes during pregnancy. ..
- Hwang S, Ryu J, Kim I, Jho E, Jung H, Kim K, et al. Wnt-7a causes loss of differentiated phenotype and inhibits apoptosis of articular chondrocytes via different mechanisms. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26597-604 pubmed..Our results collectively suggest that Wnt-7a is associated with cartilage destruction by regulating the maintenance of differentiation status and the apoptosis of articular chondrocytes via different mechanisms. ..
- Colvin J, Green R, Schmahl J, Capel B, Ornitz D. Male-to-female sex reversal in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor 9. Cell. 2001;104:875-89 pubmed..While Sry is found only in some mammals, Fgfs are highly conserved. Thus, Fgfs may function in sex determination and reproductive system development in many species. ..