Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt2b
Description: wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 2B
Alias: Wnt13, protein Wnt-2b, wingless related MMTV integration site 2b, wnt-13
- Hebert J, Hayhurst M, Marks M, Kulessa H, Hogan B, McConnell S. BMP ligands act redundantly to pattern the dorsal telencephalic midline. Genesis. 2003;35:214-9 pubmed....
- Yamaguchi Y, Ogura S, Ishida M, Karasawa M, Takada S. Gene trap screening as an effective approach for identification of Wnt-responsive genes in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:484-95 pubmed..These results indicate that the gene trap is an effective method for systematic identification of Wnt-responsive genes during embryogenesis. ..
- Grove E, Tole S, Limon J, Yip L, Ragsdale C. The hem of the embryonic cerebral cortex is defined by the expression of multiple Wnt genes and is compromised in Gli3-deficient mice. Development. 1998;125:2315-25 pubmed..By contrast, three others, Wnt3a, 5a and a novel mouse Wnt gene, Wnt2b, are expressed only at the medial edge of the telencephalon, defining the hem of the cerebral cortex...
- Sahara S, Kawakami Y, Izpisua Belmonte J, O Leary D. Sp8 exhibits reciprocal induction with Fgf8 but has an opposing effect on anterior-posterior cortical area patterning. Neural Dev. 2007;2:10 pubmed..In summary, Sp8 and Fgf8 robustly induce one another, and may act to balance the anterior-posterior area patterning of the cortex. ..
- Mangale V, Hirokawa K, Satyaki P, Gokulchandran N, Chikbire S, Subramanian L, et al. Lhx2 selector activity specifies cortical identity and suppresses hippocampal organizer fate. Science. 2008;319:304-9 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing functional evidence for Lhx2 selector activity, these findings show that the cortical hem is a hippocampal organizer. ..
- Bulchand S, Grove E, Porter F, Tole S. LIM-homeodomain gene Lhx2 regulates the formation of the cortical hem. Mech Dev. 2001;100:165-75 pubmed..The defect in the Lhx2-/- telencephalon appears to be at this step. ..
- Shimogori T, Banuchi V, Ng H, Strauss J, Grove E. Embryonic signaling centers expressing BMP, WNT and FGF proteins interact to pattern the cerebral cortex. Development. 2004;131:5639-47 pubmed..Expanding the FGF8 domain suppressed Wnt2b, Wnt3a and Wnt5a expression in the hem...
- Monuki E, Porter F, Walsh C. Patterning of the dorsal telencephalon and cerebral cortex by a roof plate-Lhx2 pathway. Neuron. 2001;32:591-604 pubmed..These findings provide evidence for the roof plate as an organizing center of the developing cortex and for a roof plate-Lhx2 pathway in cortical patterning. ..
- Ishikawa T, Tamai Y, Zorn A, Yoshida H, Seldin M, Nishikawa S, et al. Mouse Wnt receptor gene Fzd5 is essential for yolk sac and placental angiogenesis. Development. 2001;128:25-33 pubmed..Because Wnt5a and Wnt10b co-localized with Fzd5 in the developing yolk sac, these two Wnts are likely physiological ligands for the Fzd5-dependent signaling for endothelial growth in the yolk sac. ..
- Vyas A, Saha B, Lai E, Tole S. Paleocortex is specified in mice in which dorsal telencephalic patterning is severely disrupted. J Comp Neurol. 2003;466:545-53 pubmed..Furthermore, our in vitro data reveal that, if mechanisms outside the lateral telencephalon are involved in the specification of the paleocortex, they must act extremely early, prior to E10.5. ..
- Cheng X, Hsu C, Currle D, Hu J, Barkovich A, Monuki E. Central roles of the roof plate in telencephalic development and holoprosencephaly. J Neurosci. 2006;26:7640-9 pubmed..These findings establish selective roles for roof plate-dependent Bmp signaling in dorsal telencephalic patterning and HPE and define novel candidate genes for the human disorder. ..
- Thomson R, Kind P, Graham N, Etherson M, Kennedy J, Fernandes A, et al. Fgf receptor 3 activation promotes selective growth and expansion of occipitotemporal cortex. Neural Dev. 2009;4:4 pubmed publisher..Together with previous work, this study suggests that formation of rostral and caudal areas are differentially regulated by Fgf signaling in the cerebral cortex. ..
- Huang X, Litingtung Y, Chiang C. Ectopic sonic hedgehog signaling impairs telencephalic dorsal midline development: implication for human holoprosencephaly. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:1454-68 pubmed..We propose that elevated ectopic Shh signaling can impair dorsal telencephalic midline morphogenesis, and lead to non-cleavage of midline structures mimicking human HPE with dorsal midline defects. ..
- Ozaki H, Nakamura K, Funahashi J, Ikeda K, Yamada G, Tokano H, et al. Six1 controls patterning of the mouse otic vesicle. Development. 2004;131:551-62 pubmed..In spite of the similarity of otic phenotypes of Six1- and Shh-deficient mice, expressions of Six1 and Shh were mutually independent. ..
- Yang S, Andl T, Grachtchouk V, Wang A, Liu J, Syu L, et al. Pathological responses to oncogenic Hedgehog signaling in skin are dependent on canonical Wnt/beta3-catenin signaling. Nat Genet. 2008;40:1130-5 pubmed publisher....
- Tian Y, Yuan L, Goss A, Wang T, Yang J, Lepore J, et al. Characterization and in vivo pharmacological rescue of a Wnt2-Gata6 pathway required for cardiac inflow tract development. Dev Cell. 2010;18:275-87 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a molecular pathway regulating the posterior cardiac mesoderm and demonstrate that cardiovascular defects caused by loss of Wnt signaling can be rescued pharmacologically in vivo. ..
- Remedios R, Huilgol D, Saha B, Hari P, Bhatnagar L, Kowalczyk T, et al. A stream of cells migrating from the caudal telencephalon reveals a link between the amygdala and neocortex. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1141-50 pubmed..This is first evidence of a dorsal pallial contribution to the amygdala, demonstrating a developmental and mechanistic link between the amygdala and the neocortex. ..
- Iglesias D, Hueber P, Chu L, Campbell R, Patenaude A, Dziarmaga A, et al. Canonical WNT signaling during kidney development. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F494-500 pubmed..Sites of TCF/betaGal activity are in proximity to the known sites of renal WNT2b and WNT4 expression, and these WNTs stimulate TCF reporter activity in kidney cell lines derived from ureteric bud ..
- Zhou C, Borello U, Rubenstein J, Pleasure S. Neuronal production and precursor proliferation defects in the neocortex of mice with loss of function in the canonical Wnt signaling pathway. Neuroscience. 2006;142:1119-31 pubmed..This analysis demonstrates that canonical Wnt signaling is required for a diverse array of developmental processes in the neocortex in addition to the previously known roles in regulating precursor proliferation and patterning. ..
- Snowball J, Ambalavanan M, Cornett B, Lang R, Whitsett J, Sinner D. Mesenchymal Wnt signaling promotes formation of sternum and thoracic body wall. Dev Biol. 2015;401:264-75 pubmed publisher..Thus, impaired Wls activity in the ventral body wall mesenchyme is a mechanism underlying ectopia cordis and unfused sternum. ..
- Song R, Preston G, Ichihara A, Yosypiv I. Deletion of the prorenin receptor from the ureteric bud causes renal hypodysplasia. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63835 pubmed publisher..We propose that mutations in PRR could possibly cause renal hypodysplasia and renal tubular acidosis in humans. ..
- Miller M, Cohen E, Baggs J, Lu M, Hogenesch J, Morrisey E. Wnt ligands signal in a cooperative manner to promote foregut organogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:15348-53 pubmed..These data suggest a model in which Pdgf signaling potentiates Wnt2-Wnt7b signaling to promote high levels of Wnt activity in mesenchymal progenitors that is required for proper development of endoderm-derived organs, such as the lung. ..
- Hanashima C, Fernandes M, Hebert J, Fishell G. The role of Foxg1 and dorsal midline signaling in the generation of Cajal-Retzius subtypes. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11103-11 pubmed....
- Roy A, Gonzalez Gomez M, Pierani A, Meyer G, Tole S. Lhx2 regulates the development of the forebrain hem system. Cereb Cortex. 2014;24:1361-72 pubmed publisher..Since all components of the forebrain hem system have been identified across several vertebrate species, the mechanisms that regulate them may have played a fundamental role in driving key aspects of forebrain evolution. ..
- Barry G, Piper M, Lindwall C, Moldrich R, Mason S, Little E, et al. Specific glial populations regulate hippocampal morphogenesis. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12328-40 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate a role for Nfib in hippocampal fissure and dentate gyrus formation, and that distinct glial bundles are critical for correct hippocampal morphogenesis. ..
- Tsukiyama T, Yamaguchi T. Mice lacking Wnt2b are viable and display a postnatal olfactory bulb phenotype. Neurosci Lett. 2012;512:48-52 pubmed publisherWnts are secreted glycoproteins that play important roles in embryonic development. Wnt2b is transiently expressed in the primitive streak (PS) during gastrulation and in several organs during organogenesis...
- Uusitalo M, Heikkilä M, Vainio S. Molecular genetic studies of Wnt signaling in the mouse. Exp Cell Res. 1999;253:336-48 pubmed
- Tole S, Goudreau G, Assimacopoulos S, Grove E. Emx2 is required for growth of the hippocampus but not for hippocampal field specification. J Neurosci. 2000;20:2618-25 pubmed..Thus, Emx2 is required for normal growth and maturation of the hippocampus but not for the specification of cells to particular hippocampal field identities. ..
- Reddy S, Andl T, Bagasra A, Lu M, Epstein D, Morrisey E, et al. Characterization of Wnt gene expression in developing and postnatal hair follicles and identification of Wnt5a as a target of Sonic hedgehog in hair follicle morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;107:69-82 pubmed..These results identify candidates for several key follicular signals and suggest that WNT and SHH signaling pathways interact to regulate hair follicle morphogenesis. ..
- Yao K, Qiu S, Tian L, Snider W, Flannery J, Schaffer D, et al. Wnt Regulates Proliferation and Neurogenic Potential of Müller Glial Cells via a Lin28/let-7 miRNA-Dependent Pathway in Adult Mammalian Retinas. Cell Rep. 2016;17:165-178 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reveal a key role of Wnt-Lin28-let7 miRNA signaling in regulating proliferation and neurogenic potential of MGs in the adult mammalian retina. ..
- Fotaki V, Larralde O, Zeng S, McLaughlin D, Nichols J, Price D, et al. Loss of Wnt8b has no overt effect on hippocampus development but leads to altered Wnt gene expression levels in dorsomedial telencephalon. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:284-296 pubmed publisher..Thus, loss of Wnt8b does not give rise to an overt morphological phenotype, but does affect expression levels of other Wnts in developing forebrain. ..
- Han L, Xu J, Grigg E, Slack M, Chaturvedi P, Jiang R, et al. Osr1 functions downstream of Hedgehog pathway to regulate foregut development. Dev Biol. 2017;427:72-83 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Osr1 is a novel downstream target of HH pathway, required for lung specification, branching morphogenesis and foregut mesenchymal differentiation. ..
- Lakhina V, Falnikar A, Bhatnagar L, Tole S. Early thalamocortical tract guidance and topographic sorting of thalamic projections requires LIM-homeodomain gene Lhx2. Dev Biol. 2007;306:703-13 pubmed..Furthermore, the absence of Lhx2 in the ventral telencephalon selectively disrupts a subset of thalamic axon topography, indicating a specific rather than a general perturbation of cues in this structure. ..
- Noda T, Oki S, Kitajima K, Harada T, Komune S, Meno C. Restriction of Wnt signaling in the dorsal otocyst determines semicircular canal formation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2012;362:83-93 pubmed publisher..Our stage-specific functional analysis suggests that strict regulation of canonical Wnt signaling in the dorsal otocyst orchestrates the process of semicircular canal formation...
- Mohamed O, Dufort D, Clarke H. Expression and estradiol regulation of Wnt genes in the mouse blastocyst identify a candidate pathway for embryo-maternal signaling at implantation. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:417-24 pubmed....
- Xu H, Viola A, Zhang Z, Gerken C, Lindsay Illingworth E, Baldini A. Tbx1 regulates population, proliferation and cell fate determination of otic epithelial cells. Dev Biol. 2007;302:670-82 pubmed..We conclude that the main functions of Tbx1 in the inner ear are to control, cell-autonomously, contribution, size and fate of a large population of otic epithelial cells, and, cell non-autonomously, cochlear morphogenesis. ..
- Gibbs B, Damerla R, Vladar E, Chatterjee B, Wan Y, Liu X, et al. Prickle1 mutation causes planar cell polarity and directional cell migration defects associated with cardiac outflow tract anomalies and other structural birth defects. Biol Open. 2016;5:323-35 pubmed publisher..Together these findings show Pk1 plays an essential role in regulating cell polarity and directional cell migration during development. ..
- Snowball J, Ambalavanan M, Whitsett J, Sinner D. Endodermal Wnt signaling is required for tracheal cartilage formation. Dev Biol. 2015;405:56-70 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Wnt ligands produced by the tracheal epithelium pattern the tracheal mesenchyme via modulation of gene expression and cell proliferation required for proper tracheal cartilage and smooth muscle differentiation. ..
- Hebert J, Mishina Y, McConnell S. BMP signaling is required locally to pattern the dorsal telencephalic midline. Neuron. 2002;35:1029-41 pubmed..Our data fail to support a more global, concentration-dependent role in specifying telencephalic cell fates. ..
- Ohta K, Ito A, Kuriyama S, Lupo G, Kosaka M, Ohnuma S, et al. Tsukushi functions as a Wnt signaling inhibitor by competing with Wnt2b for binding to transmembrane protein Frizzled4. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14962-7 pubmed publisher..3 × 10(-10) M and competing with Wnt2b. In the developing chick eye, TSK is expressed in the ciliary/iris epithelium, whereas Wnt2b is expressed in the ..
- Riccomagno M, Martinu L, Mulheisen M, Wu D, Epstein D. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on Sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2365-78 pubmed..Taken together, our data support a model whereby auditory cell fates in the otic vesicle are established by the direct action of Shh. ..
- Kuschel S, Ruther U, Theil T. A disrupted balance between Bmp/Wnt and Fgf signaling underlies the ventralization of the Gli3 mutant telencephalon. Dev Biol. 2003;260:484-95 pubmed....
- Choo D, Ward J, Reece A, Dou H, Lin Z, Greinwald J. Molecular mechanisms underlying inner ear patterning defects in kreisler mutants. Dev Biol. 2006;289:308-17 pubmed..otic structures such as the endolymphatic duct and sac is attributable to the downregulation of Gbx2, Dlx5 and Wnt2b in the dorsal region of the otocyst...
- Grove E, Tole S. Patterning events and specification signals in the developing hippocampus. Cereb Cortex. 1999;9:551-61 pubmed..Observations of mouse mutants indicate that the cortical hem, an embryonic structure close to one pole of the hippocampus, is a source of such regulatory signals. ..
- Caprioli A, Villasenor A, Wylie L, Braitsch C, Marty Santos L, Barry D, et al. Wnt4 is essential to normal mammalian lung development. Dev Biol. 2015;406:222-34 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal a previously unknown role for the secreted protein Wnt4 in respiratory system development. ..
- Freyer L, Morrow B. Canonical Wnt signaling modulates Tbx1, Eya1, and Six1 expression, restricting neurogenesis in the otic vesicle. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1708-22 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work helps explain the mechanism by which Wnt signaling modulates transcription factors required for neurogenesis and patterning of the OV. ..
- Loureiro J. The Wnts. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R4 pubmed
- Ng J, Kawakami Y, Buscher D, Raya A, Itoh T, Koth C, et al. The limb identity gene Tbx5 promotes limb initiation by interacting with Wnt2b and Fgf10. Development. 2002;129:5161-70 pubmed..Furthermore, our results indicate that Tbx5 and Wnt2b function together to initiate and specify forelimb outgrowth and identity...
- Kubo F, Takeichi M, Nakagawa S. Wnt2b controls retinal cell differentiation at the ciliary marginal zone. Development. 2003;130:587-98 pubmed..in the ciliary marginal zone, we employed a candidate molecule approach, focusing on Wnt2b (formerly know as Wnt13), which is expressed in the marginal most tip of the retina...
- Lin Z, Cantos R, Patente M, Wu D. Gbx2 is required for the morphogenesis of the mouse inner ear: a downstream candidate of hindbrain signaling. Development. 2005;132:2309-18 pubmed..dorsal fates such as the endolymphatic duct and semicircular canals by positively regulating genes such as Wnt2b and Dlx5...
- Liu H, Mohamed O, Dufort D, Wallace V. Characterization of Wnt signaling components and activation of the Wnt canonical pathway in the murine retina. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:323-34 pubmed....
- Suomalainen M, Thesleff I. Patterns of Wnt pathway activity in the mouse incisor indicate absence of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the epithelial stem cells. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:364-72 pubmed publisher..We conclude that epithelial stem cells in the mouse incisors are not regulated directly by Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. ..
- da Silva F, Rocha A, Motamedi F, Massa F, Basboga C, Morrison H, et al. Coronary Artery Formation Is Driven by Localized Expression of R-spondin3. Cell Rep. 2017;20:1745-1754 pubmed publisher..These results identify a mechanism through which localized expression of RSPO3 induces proliferation of the coronary arteries at their stems and permits their formation. ..
- Pino D, Choe Y, Pleasure S. Wnt5a controls neurite development in olfactory bulb interneurons. ASN Neuro. 2011;3:e00059 pubmed publisher..This represents a novel role for Wnt5a in the development of OB interneurons and suggests that canonical and non-canonical Wnt pathways dynamically oppose each other in the regulation of dendrite maturation. ..
- Abu Khalil A, Fu L, Grove E, Zecevic N, Geschwind D. Wnt genes define distinct boundaries in the developing human brain: implications for human forebrain patterning. J Comp Neurol. 2004;474:276-88 pubmed..We examined the expression of WNT2b and WNT7b in the human brain, because these genes have highly distinctive expression patterns in the embryonic ..
- Burns R, Fairbanks T, Sala F, De Langhe S, Mailleux A, Thiery J, et al. Requirement for fibroblast growth factor 10 or fibroblast growth factor receptor 2-IIIb signaling for cecal development in mouse. Dev Biol. 2004;265:61-74 pubmed..Other relevant signaling molecules such as Sonic hedgehog, Wnt2b, and Tbx4 transcripts are found throughout the gut epithelium, including the cecum...
- Lilleväli K, Haugas M, Matilainen T, Pussinen C, Karis A, Salminen M. Gata3 is required for early morphogenesis and Fgf10 expression during otic development. Mech Dev. 2006;123:415-29 pubmed..Inactivation of Gata3 leads also to a loss of Fgf10 expression in otic epithelium and auditory ganglion demonstrating that Gata3 is an important regulator of Fgf-signalling during otic development. ..
- Hatch E, Noyes C, Wang X, Wright T, Mansour S. Fgf3 is required for dorsal patterning and morphogenesis of the inner ear epithelium. Development. 2007;134:3615-25 pubmed..Finally, we show that Fgf3 prevents ventral expansion of r5-6 neurectodermal Wnt3a, serving to focus inductive WNT signals on the dorsal otic vesicle and highlighting a new example of cross-talk between the two signaling systems. ..
- Bayle J, Fitch J, Jacobsen K, Kumar R, Lafyatis R, Lemaire R. Increased expression of Wnt2 and SFRP4 in Tsk mouse skin: role of Wnt signaling in altered dermal fibrillin deposition and systemic sclerosis. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:871-81 pubmed..Lesional skin from SSc patients also showed large increases in SFRP4 mRNA and protein levels in the deep dermis compared to healthy skin, suggesting that the Wnt pathway might regulate skin fibrosis in SSc. ..
- Chae T, Kim S, Marz K, Hanson P, Walsh C. The hyh mutation uncovers roles for alpha Snap in apical protein localization and control of neural cell fate. Nat Genet. 2004;36:264-70 pubmed..Apical localization of the SNARE Vamp7 is also disrupted. Thus, alpha Snap is essential for apical protein localization and cell fate determination in neuroepithelial cells. ..
- Weidenfeld J, Shu W, Zhang L, Millar S, Morrisey E. The WNT7b promoter is regulated by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2 in lung epithelium. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:21061-70 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that WNT7b gene expression in the lung epithelium is regulated in a combinatorial fashion by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2. ..
- Goss A, Tian Y, Tsukiyama T, Cohen E, Zhou D, Lu M, et al. Wnt2/2b and beta-catenin signaling are necessary and sufficient to specify lung progenitors in the foregut. Dev Cell. 2009;17:290-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal that canonical Wnt2/2b signaling is required for the specification of lung endoderm progenitors in the developing foregut...