Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sdc1
Description: syndecan 1
Alias: AA408134, AA409076, CD138, Sstn, Synd, Synd1, syn-1, syndecan-1, synstatin
- McQuade K, Beauvais D, Burbach B, Rapraeger A. Syndecan-1 regulates alphavbeta5 integrin activity in B82L fibroblasts. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2445-56 pubmed..These results suggest that the ectodomain of the syndecan-1 core protein contains an active site that assembles into a complex with the alphavbeta5 integrin and regulates alphavbeta5 integrin activity. ..
- Kato M, Saunders S, Nguyen H, Bernfield M. Loss of cell surface syndecan-1 causes epithelia to transform into anchorage-independent mesenchyme-like cells. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:559-76 pubmed..Thus, cell surface syndecan-1 is required to maintain the normal phenotype of simple epithelia. ..
- Xu J, Park P, Kheradmand F, Corry D. Endogenous attenuation of allergic lung inflammation by syndecan-1. J Immunol. 2005;174:5758-65 pubmed
- Kokenyesi R, Bernfield M. Core protein structure and sequence determine the site and presence of heparan sulfate and chondroitin sulfate on syndecan-1. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:12304-9 pubmed..Thus, structural elements of the core protein other than the Ser-Gly attachment sites determine if a site will be glycanated and, if so, whether with chondroitin sulfate or heparan sulfate. ..
- Richardson G, Bazzi H, Fantauzzo K, Waters J, Crawford H, Hynd P, et al. KGF and EGF signalling block hair follicle induction and promote interfollicular epidermal fate in developing mouse skin. Development. 2009;136:2153-64 pubmed publisher..We have also uncovered a previously unrecognised role for KGF signalling in the formation of hair follicles in the mouse. ..
- Götte M, Joussen A, Klein C, Andre P, Wagner D, Hinkes M, et al. Role of syndecan-1 in leukocyte-endothelial interactions in the ocular vasculature. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:1135-41 pubmed..Mice carrying a deletion in the gene encoding the cell surface HS proteoglycan syndecan-1 (sdc1) were used to study the interactions of leukocytes and endothelial cells in vivo, using a perfusion technique with ..
- Koso H, Iida A, Tabata Y, Baba Y, Satoh S, Taketo M, et al. CD138/syndecan-1 and SSEA-1 mark distinct populations of developing ciliary epithelium that are regulated differentially by Wnt signal. Stem Cells. 2008;26:3162-71 pubmed publisher..Here, we identified CD138/syndecan-1 and stage specific embryonic antigen-1 (SSEA-1) CD15 as cell-surface antigens marking nonpigmented and ..
- Hienola A, Tumova S, Kulesskiy E, Rauvala H. N-syndecan deficiency impairs neural migration in brain. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:569-80 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that N-syndecan interacts with EGF receptor (EGFR) at the plasma membrane and is required in EGFR-induced neuronal migration. ..
- Götte M, Bernfield M, Joussen A. Increased leukocyte-endothelial interactions in syndecan-1-deficient mice involve heparan sulfate-dependent and -independent steps. Curr Eye Res. 2005;30:417-22 pubmed..Its heparan sulfate chains play different roles in this process in unstimulated endothelia compared to TNF-alpha-stimulated endothelia. ..
- McDermott S, Ranheim E, Leatherberry V, Khwaja S, Klos K, Alexander C. Juvenile syndecan-1 null mice are protected from carcinogen-induced tumor development. Oncogene. 2007;26:1407-16 pubmedWe previously showed that mice with a null mutation in syndecan-1 (Sdc1; CD138) were resistant to Wnt1-induced mammary tumor initiation...
- Li Q, Park P, Wilson C, Parks W. Matrilysin shedding of syndecan-1 regulates chemokine mobilization and transepithelial efflux of neutrophils in acute lung injury. Cell. 2002;111:635-46 pubmed..In vitro, matrilysin cleaved syndecan-1 from the surface of cells. Thus, matrilysin-mediated shedding of syndecan-1/KC complexes from the mucosal surface directs and confines neutrophil influx to sites of injury. ..
- Beauvais D, Ell B, McWhorter A, Rapraeger A. Syndecan-1 regulates alphavbeta3 and alphavbeta5 integrin activation during angiogenesis and is blocked by synstatin, a novel peptide inhibitor. J Exp Med. 2009;206:691-705 pubmed publisher..cells, we identified the active site within the Sdc1 core protein and derived a peptide inhibitor called synstatin (SSTN) that disrupts Sdc1's interaction with these integrins...
- Chen P, Abacherli L, Nadler S, Wang Y, Li Q, Parks W. MMP7 shedding of syndecan-1 facilitates re-epithelialization by affecting alpha(2)beta(1) integrin activation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6565 pubmed publisher..MMP7 acts in the lungs to regulate inflammation and repair, and our data now show that both these functions are controlled through the shedding of syndecan-1. ..
- Stepp M, Gibson H, Gala P, Iglesia D, Pajoohesh Ganji A, Pal Ghosh S, et al. Defects in keratinocyte activation during wound healing in the syndecan-1-deficient mouse. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4517-31 pubmed
- Teng Y, Aquino R, Park P. Molecular functions of syndecan-1 in disease. Matrix Biol. 2012;31:3-16 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the key molecular functions of syndecan-1 in modulating the onset, progression, and resolution of inflammatory diseases, cancer, and infection. ..
- Rops A, Gotte M, Baselmans M, van den Hoven M, Steenbergen E, Lensen J, et al. Syndecan-1 deficiency aggravates anti-glomerular basement membrane nephritis. Kidney Int. 2007;72:1204-15 pubmed..Our studies show that syndecan-1 deficiency exacerbates anti-GBM nephritis shifting the Th1/Th2 balance towards a Th2 response. ..
- Hayashida K, Parks W, Park P. Syndecan-1 shedding facilitates the resolution of neutrophilic inflammation by removing sequestered CXC chemokines. Blood. 2009;114:3033-43 pubmed publisher..These data show that syndecan-1 shedding is a critical endogenous mechanism that facilitates the resolution of neutrophilic inflammation by aiding the clearance of proinflammatory chemokines in a heparan sulfate-dependent manner. ..
- Wang Z, Götte M, Bernfield M, Reizes O. Constitutive and accelerated shedding of murine syndecan-1 is mediated by cleavage of its core protein at a specific juxtamembrane site. Biochemistry. 2005;44:12355-61 pubmed..These results suggest that the same cleavage site is utilized for basal syndecan-1 ectodomain shedding both in vitro from NMuMG and CHO cells and in vivo. ..
- Hayashida A, Amano S, Park P. Syndecan-1 promotes Staphylococcus aureus corneal infection by counteracting neutrophil-mediated host defense. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:3288-97 pubmed publisher..We found that syndecan-1 null (Sdc1(-/-)) mice significantly resist S...
- Richardson G, Fantauzzo K, Bazzi H, Määttä A, Jahoda C. Dynamic expression of Syndecan-1 during hair follicle morphogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:454-60 pubmed publisher..Furthermore we show by using gene targeted mice lacking Syndecan-1 expression that Syndecan-1 is not required for follicle initiation and development. ..
- Ford Perriss M, Turner K, Guimond S, Apedaile A, Haubeck H, Turnbull J, et al. Localisation of specific heparan sulfate proteoglycans during the proliferative phase of brain development. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:170-84 pubmed..The expression of these specific HSPGs within the proliferative zone of the brain suggests that they may be involved in regulation of early brain development, such as FGF-stimulated proliferation. ..
- Kainulainen V, Nelimarkka L, Jarvelainen H, Laato M, Jalkanen M, Elenius K. Suppression of syndecan-1 expression in endothelial cells by tumor necrosis factor-alpha. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:18759-66 pubmed
- Fukai N, Kenagy R, Chen L, Gao L, Daum G, Clowes A. Syndecan-1: an inhibitor of arterial smooth muscle cell growth and intimal hyperplasia. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1356-62 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the possibility that syndecan-1 may limit intimal thickening in injured arteries by suppressing SMC activation through inhibition of SMC PDGF-B chain expression and PDGFRbeta activation. ..
- Haynes A, Ruda F, Oliver J, Hamood A, Griswold J, Park P, et al. Syndecan 1 shedding contributes to Pseudomonas aeruginosa sepsis. Infect Immun. 2005;73:7914-21 pubmed..b>Syndecan 1 is a major heparan sulfate proteoglycan present on many host cells involved in thermal injury...
- Kharabi Masouleh B, ten Dam G, Wild M, Seelige R, van der Vlag J, Rops A, et al. Role of the heparan sulfate proteoglycan syndecan-1 (CD138) in delayed-type hypersensitivity. J Immunol. 2009;182:4985-93 pubmed publisherThe cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan syndecan-1 (CD138) modulates the activity of chemokines, cytokines, integrins, and other adhesion molecules which play important roles in the regulation of inflammation...
- Bernfield M, Kokenyesi R, Kato M, Hinkes M, Spring J, Gallo R, et al. Biology of the syndecans: a family of transmembrane heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Annu Rev Cell Biol. 1992;8:365-93 pubmed
- Wilsie L, Gonzales A, Orlando R. Syndecan-1 mediates internalization of apoE-VLDL through a low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein (LRP)-independent, non-clathrin-mediated pathway. Lipids Health Dis. 2006;5:23 pubmed..These data are consistent with previous studies demonstrating Syn-1 association with lipid raft domains. ..
- Zhang X, Wu C, Song J, Götte M, Sorokin L. Syndecan-1, a cell surface proteoglycan, negatively regulates initial leukocyte recruitment to the brain across the choroid plexus in murine experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2013;191:4551-61 pubmed publisher..Our data identify the choroid plexus epithelium as a novel source of IL-6 in EAE and demonstrate that its expression negatively correlates with syndecan-1 expression at this site. ..
- Reizes O, Lincecum J, Wang Z, Goldberger O, Huang L, Kaksonen M, et al. Transgenic expression of syndecan-1 uncovers a physiological control of feeding behavior by syndecan-3. Cell. 2001;106:105-16 pubmed..Syndecan-3 null mice, otherwise apparently normal, respond to food deprivation with markedly reduced reflex hyperphagia. We propose that oscillation of hypothalamic syndecan-3 levels physiologically modulates feeding behavior. ..
- Alexander C, Reichsman F, Hinkes M, Lincecum J, Becker K, Cumberledge S, et al. Syndecan-1 is required for Wnt-1-induced mammary tumorigenesis in mice. Nat Genet. 2000;25:329-32 pubmed..Here we have examined the role of syndecan-1 (encoded by Sdc1) during mammary tumour formation in response to the ectopic expression of the proto-oncogene Wnt1...
- Stanford K, Bishop J, Foley E, Gonzales J, Niesman I, Witztum J, et al. Syndecan-1 is the primary heparan sulfate proteoglycan mediating hepatic clearance of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins in mice. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:3236-45 pubmed publisher..Analysis of available proteoglycan-deficient mice showed that only syndecan-1 mutants (Sdc1-/- mice) accumulated plasma triglycerides...
- Liu B, Kim Y, Leatherberry V, Cowin P, Alexander C. Mammary gland development requires syndecan-1 to create a beta-catenin/TCF-responsive mammary epithelial subpopulation. Oncogene. 2003;22:9243-53 pubmedMice with a null mutation in the cell surface heparan sulfate (HS) proteoglycan, syndecan-1 (Sdc1), develop almost normally, but resist mammary tumor development in response to Wnt-1...
- Pal Ghosh S, Tadvalkar G, Jurjus R, Zieske J, Stepp M. BALB/c and C57BL6 mouse strains vary in their ability to heal corneal epithelial debridement wounds. Exp Eye Res. 2008;87:478-86 pubmed publisher..These data prove that strain-specific differences in cell migration rate in vivo are present in the cornea and are accompanied by differences in the frequencies of recurrent erosions and corneal epithelial stem cell deficiency. ..
- Hayashida K, Stahl P, Park P. Syndecan-1 ectodomain shedding is regulated by the small GTPase Rab5. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35435-44 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose that Rab5 is a critical regulator of syndecan-1 shedding that serves as an on-off molecular switch through its alternation between the GDP-bound and GTP-bound forms. ..
- KLIMENT C, Englert J, Gochuico B, Yu G, Kaminski N, Rosas I, et al. Oxidative stress alters syndecan-1 distribution in lungs with pulmonary fibrosis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3537-45 pubmed publisher..Oxidative shedding of syndecan-1 is an underlying cause of neutrophil chemotaxis and aberrant wound healing that may contribute to pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Gallo R, Kim C, Kokenyesi R, Adzick N, Bernfield M. Syndecans-1 and -4 are induced during wound repair of neonatal but not fetal skin. J Invest Dermatol. 1996;107:676-83 pubmed..These findings support the role of syndecans as regulators of cell behavior and suggest that syndecan-1 and -4 induction in the dermis may contribute to events that lead to inflammation and fibrosis. ..
- Savery M, Jiang J, Park P, Damiano E. The endothelial glycocalyx in syndecan-1 deficient mice. Microvasc Res. 2013;87:83-91 pubmed publisher..we performed experiments to determine the hydrodynamically relevant glycocalyx thickness in syndecan-1 deficient (Sdc1(-/-)) mice. Micro-particle image velocimetry data were collected using a previously described method...
- Stepp M, Liu Y, Pal Ghosh S, Jurjus R, Tadvalkar G, Sekaran A, et al. Reduced migration, altered matrix and enhanced TGFbeta1 signaling are signatures of mouse keratinocytes lacking Sdc1. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2851-63 pubmedWe have reported previously that syndecan-1 (Sdc1)-null mice show delayed re-epithelialization after skin and corneal wounding...
- Hayashida K, Chen Y, Bartlett A, Park P. Syndecan-1 is an in vivo suppressor of Gram-positive toxic shock. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:19895-903 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data suggest that syndecan-1 shedding is a key endogenous mechanism that protects the host from Gram-positive toxic shock by inhibiting the dysregulation and amplification of the inflammatory response. ..
- Park P, Pier G, Hinkes M, Bernfield M. Exploitation of syndecan-1 shedding by Pseudomonas aeruginosa enhances virulence. Nature. 2001;411:98-102 pubmed..Our findings uncover a pathogenetic mechanism in which a host response to tissue injury-syndecan-1 shedding-is exploited to enhance microbial virulence apparently by modulating host defences. ..
- Clavel C, Grisanti L, Zemla R, Rezza A, Barros R, Sennett R, et al. Sox2 in the dermal papilla niche controls hair growth by fine-tuning BMP signaling in differentiating hair shaft progenitors. Dev Cell. 2012;23:981-94 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data identify Sox2 as a key regulator of hair growth that controls progenitor migration by fine-tuning BMP-mediated mesenchymal-epithelial crosstalk...
- Wang X, Chen Y, Song Y, Zhang S, Xie X, Wang X. Activated Syndecan-1 shedding contributes to mice colitis induced by dextran sulfate sodium. Dig Dis Sci. 2011;56:1047-56 pubmed publisherSyndecan-1(Sdc1) plays important roles in many steps of inflammatory responses. In ulcerative colitis patients, decreased Sdc1 expression was observed and Sdc1 analogue heparin could improve the disease course...
- Mali M, Andtfolk H, Miettinen H, Jalkanen M. Suppression of tumor cell growth by syndecan-1 ectodomain. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:27795-8 pubmed..These results suggest a tumor suppressor activity for the syndecan-1 ectodomain. ..
- Bharti K, Gasper M, Ou J, Brucato M, Clore Gronenborn K, Pickel J, et al. A regulatory loop involving PAX6, MITF, and WNT signaling controls retinal pigment epithelium development. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002757 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that careful manipulation of the Pax6 regulatory circuit may facilitate the generation of retinal and pigment epithelium cells from embryonic or induced pluripotent stem cells. ..
- Rothova M, Peterkova R, Tucker A. Fate map of the dental mesenchyme: dynamic development of the dental papilla and follicle. Dev Biol. 2012;366:244-54 pubmed publisher..Cell fate of the dental mesenchyme at this stage is therefore determined by the epithelium...
- Oettinger H, Streeter H, Lose E, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Justice M, et al. Chromosome mapping of the murine syndecan gene. Genomics. 1991;11:334-8 pubmed..of DNA from a mouse interspecific backcross using a syndecan-specific probe localized the syndecan gene locus, Synd, to the proximal end of Chromosome 12, tightly linked to the Pomc-1 and Nmyc loci...
- Xiao J, Angsana J, Wen J, Smith S, Park P, Ford M, et al. Syndecan-1 displays a protective role in aortic aneurysm formation by modulating T cell-mediated responses. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:386-96 pubmed publisher..These investigations identify cross-talk between Sdc-1-expressing macrophages and AAA-localized CD4(+) T cells, with Sdc-1 providing an important counterbalance to T-cell-driven inflammation in the vascular wall. ..
- DeRouen M, Zhen H, Tan S, Williams S, Marinkovich M, Oro A. Laminin-511 and integrin beta-1 in hair follicle development and basal cell carcinoma formation. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:112 pubmed publisher..Our data provides support for a primary role of laminin-511 promoting hair follicle epithelial downgrowth without affecting dermal primary cilia and Shh target gene induction. ..
- Edwards I, Sun H, Hu Y, Berquin I, O Flaherty J, Cline J, et al. In vivo and in vitro regulation of syndecan 1 in prostate cells by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:18441-9 pubmed publisherb>Syndecan 1 is the major proteoglycan produced by epithelial cells. It is strategically localized at the plasma membrane to participate in growth factor signaling and cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions...
- Rautava J, Soukka T, Heikinheimo K, Miettinen P, Happonen R, Jaakkola P. Different mechanisms of syndecan-1 activation through a fibroblast-growth-factor-inducible response element (FiRE) in mucosal and cutaneous wounds. J Dent Res. 2003;82:382-7 pubmed..This suggests that exogenous growth factor activity is required for activation of syndecan-1 in mucosal wounds but not in cutaneous wounds. ..
- Stephens L, Sutherland A, Klimanskaya I, Andrieux A, Meneses J, Pedersen R, et al. Deletion of beta 1 integrins in mice results in inner cell mass failure and peri-implantation lethality. Genes Dev. 1995;9:1883-95 pubmed
- Neubert K, Meister S, Moser K, Weisel F, Maseda D, Amann K, et al. The proteasome inhibitor bortezomib depletes plasma cells and protects mice with lupus-like disease from nephritis. Nat Med. 2008;14:748-55 pubmed publisher..Hence, the elimination of autoreactive plasma cells by proteasome inhibitors might represent a new treatment strategy for antibody-mediated diseases...
- Iwabuchi T, Goetinck P. Syndecan-4 dependent FGF stimulation of mouse vibrissae growth. Mech Dev. 2006;123:831-41 pubmed
- Langford J, Yang Y, Kieber Emmons T, Sanderson R. Identification of an invasion regulatory domain within the core protein of syndecan-1. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:3467-73 pubmed..This invasion regulatory domain may play an important role in inhibiting tumor cell invasion, thus explaining the observed loss of syndecan-1 in some highly invasive cancers. ..
- Angsana J, Chen J, Smith S, Xiao J, Wen J, Liu L, et al. Syndecan-1 modulates the motility and resolution responses of macrophages. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015;35:332-40 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that defective motility in Sdc-1(-/-) macrophages promotes a persistent inflammatory state with relevance to the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. ..
- Kowalewska P, Nguyen U, Burrows L, Fox Robichaud A. Syndecan-1 (CD138) deficiency increases Staphylococcus aureus infection but has no effect on pathology in a mouse model of peritoneal dialysis. J Biomed Sci. 2016;23:20 pubmed publisher..The heparan sulfate proteoglycan, syndecan-1 (CD138), was reported to regulate fibrosis, angiogenesis, inflammation and S. aureus infection...
- Gill S, Nadler S, Li Q, Frevert C, Park P, Chen P, et al. Shedding of Syndecan-1/CXCL1 Complexes by Matrix Metalloproteinase 7 Functions as an Epithelial Checkpoint of Neutrophil Activation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2016;55:243-51 pubmed publisher..stimulated neutrophil activation, as gauged by release of myeloperoxidase, cells from Mmp7(-/-) or syndecan-1-null (Sdc1(-/-)) mice or human cells with MMP7 knockdown did not...
- Shirai K, Hagiwara N, Horigome T, Hirose Y, Kadono N, Hirai Y. Extracellularly Extruded Syntaxin-4 Binds to Laminin and Syndecan-1 to Regulate Mammary Epithelial Morphogenesis. J Cell Biochem. 2017;118:686-698 pubmed publisher..Thus, temporal extracellular extrusion of syntaxin-4 emerged as a novel regulatory element for laminin-induced mammary epithelial cell behaviors. J. Cell. Biochem. 118: 686-698, 2017. Â© 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Binder Gallimidi A, Nussbaum G, Hermano E, Weizman B, Meirovitz A, Vlodavsky I, et al. Syndecan-1 deficiency promotes tumor growth in a murine model of colitis-induced colon carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174343 pubmed publisherSyndecan-1 (Sdc1) is an important member of the cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan family, highly expressed by epithelial cells in adult organisms...
- Tsuzuki S, Kojima T, Katsumi A, Yamazaki T, Sugiura I, Saito H. Molecular cloning, genomic organization, promoter activity, and tissue-specific expression of the mouse ryudocan gene. J Biochem. 1997;122:17-24 pubmed..These findings will be useful for the study of ryudocan gene regulation and the generation of mice with targeted disruption of the gene. ..
- Hinkes M, Goldberger O, Neumann P, Kokenyesi R, Bernfield M. Organization and promoter activity of the mouse syndecan-1 gene. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11440-8 pubmed..understand the function and regulation of syndecan-1, we determined the structure of the mouse syndecan-1 gene (Synd-1). Synd-1 is approximately 19...
- Gonzales J, Gordts P, Foley E, Esko J. Apolipoproteins E and AV mediate lipoprotein clearance by hepatic proteoglycans. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:2742-51 pubmed publisherThe heparan sulfate proteoglycan (HSPG) syndecan-1 (SDC1) acts as a major receptor for triglyceride-rich lipoprotein (TRL) clearance in the liver...