Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Otx2
Description: orthodenticle homeobox 2
Alias: E130306E05Rik, homeobox protein OTX2, orthodenticle homolog 2
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- Signaling and transcriptional regulation in early mammalian eye development: a link between FGF and MITFM Nguyen
Laboratory of Developmental Neurogenetics, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Development 127:3581-91. 2000....
- Chx10 repression of Mitf is required for the maintenance of mammalian neuroretinal identityD Jonathan Horsford
Program in Developmental Biology, The Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Development 132:177-87. 2005..We demonstrate that the repression of Mitf by FGF is Chx10 dependent, indicating that FGF, Chx10 and Mitf are components of a pathway that determines and maintains the identity of the NR...
- Proper patterning of the optic fissure requires the sequential activity of BMP7 and SHHJulian Morcillo
Departamento de Neurobiologia del Desarrollo, Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Dr Arce 37, Madrid 28002, Spain
Development 133:3179-90. 2006..Collectively, these data indicate that BMP7 is required for retinal fissure formation and that its activity is needed, before SHH signalling, for the generation of PAX2-positive cells at the optic disc...
- Genetic control of brain morphogenesis through Otx gene dosage requirementD Acampora
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, CNR, Naples, Italy
Development 124:3639-50. 1997..Previous data suggest that Otx1 and Otx2, two murine homologs of the Drosophila orthodenticle (otd) gene, might both contribute to brain morphogenesis...
- BMP4 is essential for lens induction in the mouse embryoY Furuta
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175 USA
Genes Dev 12:3764-75. 1998..Based on these results we propose that BMP4 is required for the optic vesicle to manifest its lens-inducing activity, by regulating downstream genes and/or serving as one component of multiple inductive signals...
- Temporal requirement of the protein tyrosine phosphatase Shp2 in establishing the neuronal fate in early retinal developmentZhigang Cai
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Stark Neuroscience Institute, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Neurosci 30:4110-9. 2010..Together, these results demonstrate that Shp2 mediates FGF-Ras signaling to control retinal progenitor cell fate...
- Otx genes are required for tissue specification in the developing eyeJ R Martinez-Morales
Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Dr Arce 37, Madrid 28002, Spain
Development 128:2019-30. 2001..Previous data suggest that both Otx1 and Otx2 might contribute to the establishment of the different eye territories...
- Mesd encodes an LRP5/6 chaperone essential for specification of mouse embryonic polarityJen Chih Hsieh
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Center for Developmental Genetics, State University of New York, Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Cell 112:355-67. 2003....
- Six3 repression of Wnt signaling in the anterior neuroectoderm is essential for vertebrate forebrain developmentOleg V Lagutin
Department of Genetics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105 2794, USA
Genes Dev 17:368-79. 2003..Furthermore, these results support the hypothesis that a Wnt signal gradient specifies posterior fates in the anterior neural plate...
- beta-Catenin regulates intercellular signalling networks and cell-type specific transcription in the developing mouse midbrain-rhombomere 1 regionDmitri Chilov
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS ONE 5:e10881. 2010..These results highlight the role of beta-catenin in establishment of neuroectodermal signalling centers, promoting region-specific gene expression and regulation of cell fate determination...
- Visceral endoderm-restricted translation of Otx1 mediates recovery of Otx2 requirements for specification of anterior neural plate and normal gastrulationD Acampora
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, CNR, Via G Marconi 12, Italy
Development 125:5091-104. 1998Otx1 and Otx2, two murine homologs of the Drosophila orthodenticle (otd) gene, contribute to brain morphogenesis...
- Genetic dissection of nodal function in patterning the mouse embryoL A Lowe
Experimental Immunology Branch, Division of Basic Sciences, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 128:1831-43. 2001..We find that nodal signaling is required for correct positioning of the anteroposterior axis, normal anterior and midline patterning, and the left-right asymmetric development of the heart, vasculature, lungs and stomach...
- Otx2 homeobox gene controls retinal photoreceptor cell fate and pineal gland developmentAkihiro Nishida
Osaka Bioscience Institute, 6 2 4 Furuedai, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
Nat Neurosci 6:1255-63. 2003..Here, using conditional gene ablation in mice, we show that the transcription factor Otx2 is essential for retinal photoreceptor cell fate determination and development of the pineal gland...
- HNF-3 beta is essential for node and notochord formation in mouse developmentS L Ang
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cell 78:561-74. 1994..HNF-3 beta is not required for the development of definitive endoderm cells, but foregut morphogenesis is severely affected in HNF-3 beta -/- embryos...
- The transcription factor FoxH1 (FAST) mediates Nodal signaling during anterior-posterior patterning and node formation in the mouseM Yamamoto
Division of Molecular Biology, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Osaka University, Japan
Genes Dev 15:1242-56. 2001..These results indicate that a Nodal-FoxH1 signaling pathway plays a central role in A-P patterning and node formation in the mouse...
- Distinct regulators control the expression of the mid-hindbrain organizer signal FGF8W Ye
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nat Neurosci 4:1175-81. 2001..A network of transcription and secreted factors, including En1, Otx2, Gbx2, Grg4 and Wnt1&4, that is established independently of Pax2, further refines the expression domain and ..
- The Foxh1-dependent autoregulatory enhancer controls the level of Nodal signals in the mouse embryoDominic P Norris
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, The Biological Laboratories, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 129:3455-68. 2002..The feedback loop is thus essential for maintenance of Nodal signals that selectively regulate target gene expression in a temporally and spatially controlled fashion in the mouse embryo...
- A Wnt1-regulated genetic network controls the identity and fate of midbrain-dopaminergic progenitors in vivoNilima Prakash
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Technical University Munich, Institute of Developmental Genetics, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Development 133:89-98. 2006..Here, we show that Wnt1 regulates the genetic network, including Otx2 and Nkx2-2, that is required for the establishment of the midbrain dopaminergic progenitor domain during embryonic ..
- A core paired-type and POU homeodomain-containing transcription factor program drives retinal bipolar cell gene expressionDouglas S Kim
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Neurosci 28:7748-64. 2008..The paired-type homeodomain transcription factors (TFs) Crx and Otx2 and the POU homeodomain factor Brn2 are expressed in bipolar cells and interacted with the predicted binding ..
- Otx2 expression is restricted to dopaminergic neurons of the ventral tegmental area in the adult brainMichela Di Salvio
CEINGE Biotecnologie Avanzate, A Buzzati Traverso, CNR, Naples, Italy
Int J Dev Biol 54:939-45. 2010..We have previously shown that the transcription factor Otx2 is required for identity, fate and proliferation of mesencephalic DA (mesDA) progenitors...
- Cyclopia and defective axial patterning in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog gene functionC Chiang
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 383:407-13. 1996..Defects in all tissues extend beyond the normal sites of Shh transcription, confirming the proposed role of Shh proteins as an extracellular signal required for the tissue-organizing properties of several vertebrate patterning centres...
- In vivo functional analysis of the Hoxa-1 3' retinoic acid response element (3'RARE)V Dupé
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP, College de France, Illkirch, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 124:399-410. 1997..Interestingly, although the RARE is not required for the spatiotemporal control of colinear expression of the Hoxa genes, it is absolutely required for correct Hoxa-2 expression in rhombomere 5...
- Murine cerberus homologue mCer-1: a candidate anterior patterning moleculeC Biben
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Dev Biol 194:135-51. 1998..In embryos lacking Otx2, a homeogene with a demonstrated role in anterior patterning, mCer-1 was still expressed in an anterior zone, ..
- Cripto is required for correct orientation of the anterior-posterior axis in the mouse embryoJ Ding
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Dept of Pediatrics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Nature 395:702-7. 1998..Our results indicate that Cripto signalling is essential for the conversion of a proximal-distal asymmetry into an orthogonal anterior-posterior axis...
- The type II activin receptors are essential for egg cylinder growth, gastrulation, and rostral head development in miceJ Song
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Dev Biol 213:157-69. 1999..These results provide genetic evidence that type II activin receptors are required for egg cylinder growth, primitive streak formation, and rostral head development in mice...
- Otx5 regulates genes that show circadian expression in the zebrafish pineal complexJoshua T Gamse
Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Baltimore, Maryland, 21210 USA
Nat Genet 30:117-21. 2002..Our results indicate that Otx5 rather than Crx regulates genes that show circadian expression in the zebrafish pineal complex...
- Regulation of Otx2 expression and its functions in mouse forebrain and midbrainDaisuke Kurokawa
Laboratory for Vertebrate Body Plan, Center for Developmental Biology CDB RIKEN Kobe, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0046, Japan
Development 131:3319-31. 2004b>Otx2 expression in the forebrain and midbrain was found to be regulated by two distinct enhancers (FM and FM2) located at 75 kb 5' upstream and 115 kb 3' downstream...
- Notch 1 inhibits photoreceptor production in the developing mammalian retinaAshutosh P Jadhav
Department of Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 133:913-23. 2006..These cone enriched mutant mice should prove to be a valuable resource for the study of this relatively rare mammalian photoreceptor cell type...
- The role of microtubule actin cross-linking factor 1 (MACF1) in the Wnt signaling pathwayHui Jye Chen
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Genes Dev 20:1933-45. 2006..These results suggest a new role of MACF1 in the Wnt signaling pathway...
- A new GFP-tagged line reveals unexpected Otx2 protein localization in retinal photoreceptorsNicolas Fossat
IGFL, UMR CNRS 5242 INRA 1237 ENS, IFR128 Lyon Gerland, 46 allee d Italie, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
BMC Dev Biol 7:122. 2007..The paired-class homeodomain-containing transcription factor Otx2 is essential for normal head and brain development in vertebrates...
- Experience-dependent transfer of Otx2 homeoprotein into the visual cortex activates postnatal plasticitySayaka Sugiyama
Lab for Neuronal Circuit Development, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Cell 134:508-20. 2008..PV)-cell network that controls plasticity onset is regulated by a selective re-expression of the embryonic Otx2 homeoprotein...
- Cross-repressive interactions between Lrig3 and netrin 1 shape the architecture of the inner earVictoria E Abraira
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 135:4091-9. 2008..Thus, the Lrig3/Ntn1 feedback loop dictates when and where basement membrane breakdown occurs during canal development, revealing a new mechanism of complex tissue morphogenesis...
- Wnt antagonism of Shh facilitates midbrain floor plate neurogenesisMilan Joksimovic
Northwestern University Feinberg Medical School, Department of Neurology and Center for Genetic Medicine, 7 113 Lurie Bldg, 303 E Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:125-31. 2009..These findings demonstrate how the dynamic interplay of canonical Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and Shh may orchestrate floor plate neurogenesis or a lack thereof...
- Forebrain and midbrain regions are deleted in Otx2-/- mutants due to a defective anterior neuroectoderm specification during gastrulationD Acampora
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics CNR, Naples, Italy
Development 121:3279-90. 1995We have replaced part of the mouse homeogene Otx2 coding region with the E. coli lacZ coding sequence, thus creating a null allele of Otx2. By 9...
- Mouse Otx2 functions in the formation and patterning of rostral headI Matsuo
Department of Morphogenesis, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
Genes Dev 9:2646-58. 1995..Among these, Otx2 expression covers the entire fore- and midbrains and takes place earliest...
- Requirement for Lim1 in head-organizer functionW Shawlot
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Nature 374:425-30. 1995..A partial secondary axis developed anteriorly in some mutant embryos. Lim1 is thus an essential regulator of the vertebrate head organizer...
- Otx1 and Otx2 define layers and regions in developing cerebral cortex and cerebellumG D Frantz
Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, California 94305
J Neurosci 14:5725-40. 1994..in layered regions of the CNS, we have characterized the patterns of expression of two homeodomain genes, Otx1 and Otx2, by in situ hybridization during embryonic and postnatal development in the rat...
- A targeted mouse Otx2 mutation leads to severe defects in gastrulation and formation of axial mesoderm and to deletion of rostral brainS L Ang
Institute de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM Universite Louis Pasteur, Illkirch, C U de Strasbourg, France
Development 122:243-52. 1996Mouse Otx2 is a bicoid-class homeobox gene, related to the Drosophila orthodenticle (otd) gene. Expression of this gene is initially widespread in the epiblast at embryonic day 5...
- Lack of beta-catenin affects mouse development at gastrulationH Haegel
Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, Freiburg, Germany
Development 121:3529-37. 1995..Our results demonstrate that, although beta-catenin is expressed rather ubiquitously, it is specifically required in the ectodermal cell layer...
- OTX2 homeoprotein in the developing central nervous system and migratory cells of the olfactory areaA Mallamaci
DIBIT, Istituto Scientifico H S Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Mech Dev 58:165-78. 1996We analyzed the distribution of OTX2 during mouse development. OTX2 is a homeoprotein encoded by Otx2, a vertebrate homeobox gene expressed in the developing brain and anterior head regions...
- rax, a novel paired-type homeobox gene, shows expression in the anterior neural fold and developing retinaT Furukawa
Department of Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:3088-93. 1997..These findings suggest that rax is one of the molecules that define the eye field during early development and that it has a role in the proliferation and/or differentiation of retinal cells...
- Specification of the anterior hindbrain and establishment of a normal mid/hindbrain organizer is dependent on Gbx2 gene functionK M Wassarman
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0452, USA
Development 124:2923-34. 1997..These data provide genetic evidence for a link between patterning of the anterior hindbrain and the establishment of the mid/hindbrain organizer, and identify Gbx2 as a gene required for these processes to occur normally...
- Smad2 signaling in extraembryonic tissues determines anterior-posterior polarity of the early mouse embryoW R Waldrip
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Cell 92:797-808. 1998..Chimera experiments demonstrate these essential activities are contributed by the extraembryonic tissues. Thus, the extraembryonic tissues play critical roles in establishing the body plan during early mouse development...
- Functional equivalency between Otx2 and Otx1 in development of the rostral headY Suda
Department of Morphogenesis, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Department of Psychiatry, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto 860, Japan
Development 126:743-57. 1999Mice have two Otx genes, Otx1 and Otx2. Prior to gastrulation, Otx2 is expressed in the epiblast and visceral endoderm. As the primitive streak forms, Otx2 expression is restricted to the anterior parts of all three germ layers...
- Axis development and early asymmetry in mammalsR S Beddington
Division of Mammalian Development, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, London, United Kingdom
Cell 96:195-209. 1999
- Requirement for Wnt3 in vertebrate axis formationP Liu
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Genet 22:361-5. 1999..These studies provide genetic proof for the requirement of Wnt3 in primary axis formation in the mouse...
- A role for Gbx2 in repression of Otx2 and positioning the mid/hindbrain organizerS Millet
Developmental Genetics Program and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Nature 401:161-4. 1999..In mice, Otx2 is expressed in the forebrain and midbrain and Gbx2 is expressed in the anterior hindbrain, with a shared border at ..
- The caudal limit of Otx2 expression positions the isthmic organizerV Broccoli
GSF Research Centre for Environment and Health, Institute of Mammalian Genetics, Neuherberg, Germany
Nature 401:164-8. 1999The homeobox gene Otx2 is expressed in the anterior neural tube with a sharp limit at the midbrain/hindbrain junction (the isthmic organizer)...
- FGF8 can activate Gbx2 and transform regions of the rostral mouse brain into a hindbrain fateA Liu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, Department of Cell Biology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 126:4827-38. 1999..We also show that FGF8b-soaked beads can repress Otx2 in midbrain explants...
- Requirement for beta-catenin in anterior-posterior axis formation in miceJ Huelsken
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13125 Berlin, Germany
J Cell Biol 148:567-78. 2000..Our data demonstrate that beta-catenin function is essential in anterior-posterior axis formation in the mouse, and experiments with chimeric embryos show that this function is required in the embryonic ectoderm...
- Dorsal retinal pigment epithelium differentiates as neural retina in the microphthalmia (mi/mi) mouseK M Bumsted
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41:903-8. 2000..To determine a role for microphthalmia (mi) during eye development, the effects of an mi loss of function mutation on RPE and neural retinal were investigated in the mi/mi mouse...
- The subcellular localization of Otx2 is cell-type specific and developmentally regulated in the mouse retinaD Baas
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale School of Medicine, 330 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 78:26-37. 2000..Here we report that in the embryonic mouse eye Otx2, a paired homeodomain transcription factor, was found in retinal pigment epithelial cells and a restricted subset ..
- Visceral endoderm mediates forebrain development by suppressing posteriorizing signalsC Kimura
Department of Morphogenesis, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto, 860 0811, Japan
Dev Biol 225:304-21. 2000..Here we identified a 5'-flanking region of the mouse Otx2 gene (VEcis) that governs the transgene expression in the visceral endoderm...
- Nodal signalling in the epiblast patterns the early mouse embryoJ Brennan
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nature 411:965-9. 2001..Our experiments show that proximal-distal and subsequent anterior-posterior polarity of the pregastrulation embryo result from reciprocal cell-cell interactions between the epiblast and the two extra-embryonic tissues...
- Structural evolution of Otx genes in craniatesA Germot
Equipe ATIPE de l UPRES A 8080 Développement et Evolution, Orsay, France
Mol Biol Evol 18:1668-78. 2001..Two of the three genes identified in each of these species belong to the Otx1 and Otx2 orthology classes previously characterized in osteichthyans...
- Forebrain and midbrain development requires epiblast-restricted Otx2 translational control mediated by its 3' UTRP P Boyl
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, Guy s Campus, New Hunt s House, London SE1 1UL, UK
Development 128:2989-3000. 2001..Previous mouse models suggested that the untranslated regions (UTRs) of Otx2 mRNA may contain regulatory element(s) required for its post-transcriptional control in epiblast and neuroectoderm...
- OTD/OTX2 functional equivalence depends on 5' and 3' UTR-mediated control of Otx2 mRNA for nucleo-cytoplasmic export and epiblast-restricted translationD Acampora
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, Guy s Campus, New Hunts House, London SE1 9RT, UK
Development 128:4801-13. 2001..homology, Drosophila orthodenticle (otd) and murine Otx1 genes share functional equivalence and that translation of Otx2 mRNA in epiblast and neuroectoderm might require a cell type-specific post-transcriptional control depending on its ..
- Otx2 is required to respond to signals from anterior neural ridge for forebrain specificationE Tian
Department of Morphogenesis, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto, 860 0811, Japan
Dev Biol 242:204-23. 2002Previous analysis employing chimeric and transgenic rescue experiments has suggested that Otx2 is required in the neuroectoderm for development of the forebrain region...
- Otx dose-dependent integrated control of antero-posterior and dorso-ventral patterning of midbrainEduardo Puelles
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, New Hunt s House, 4th Floor, King s College London, Guy s Campus, London Bridge, London SE1 1UL, UK
Nat Neurosci 6:453-60. 2003..is effective for conferring proper cell identity in the floor-plate region of midbrain and does not require an Otx2-specific property...
- FGFR1 is independently required in both developing mid- and hindbrain for sustained response to isthmic signalsRas Trokovic
Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, PO Box 56, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
EMBO J 22:1811-23. 2003..In addition, FGFR1 appears to modify cell adhesion properties critical for maintaining a coherent organizing center. This may be achieved by regulating expression of specific cell-adhesion molecules at the midbrain-hindbrain border...
- Retinal pigmented epithelium determination requires the redundant activities of Pax2 and Pax6Nicole Baumer
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biophysical Chemistry, Am Fassberg 11, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Development 130:2903-15. 2003..Together, these results demonstrate that the redundant activities of Pax2 and Pax6 direct the determination of RPE, potentially by directly controlling the expression of RPE determinants...
- Cell fate decisions within the mouse organizer are governed by graded Nodal signalsStephane D Vincent
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Genes Dev 17:1646-62. 2003..These findings conclusively demonstrate that graded Nodal/Smad2 signals govern allocation of the axial mesendoderm precursors that selectively give rise to the ADE and PCP mesoderm...
- Anterior neural plate regionalization in cripto null mutant mouse embryos in the absence of node and primitive streakGiovanna L Liguori
Institute of Genetics and Biophysics A Buzzati Traverso, CNR, Via Guglielmo Marconi 12, 80125 Naples, Italy
Dev Biol 264:537-49. 2003..These results suggest that, in mouse embryos, the specification of the anterior neural identities can be maintained without an absolute requirement for the embryonic mesoderm and the node...
- Effects of Wnt1 signaling on proliferation in the developing mid-/hindbrain regionMarkus Panhuysen
Institute of Developmental Genetics, GSF Research Center for Environment and Health, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 26:101-11. 2004..We suggest that Wnt1 acts as a regulator of proliferation of specific precursor populations in the developing mid-/hindbrain region and is only secondarily involved in maintenance of the mid-/hindbrain organizer...
- Regulation of Otx2 expression and its functions in mouse epiblast and anterior neuroectodermDaisuke Kurokawa
Laboratory for Vertebrate Body Plan, Center for Developmental Biology CDB RIKEN Kobe, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0046, Japan
Development 131:3307-17. 2004We have identified cis-regulatory sequences acting on Otx2 expression in epiblast (EP) and anterior neuroectoderm (AN) at about 90 kb 5' upstream. The activity of the EP enhancer is found in the inner cell mass at E3...
- Otx2 regulates subtype specification and neurogenesis in the midbrainBertrand Vernay
Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Universite Louis Pasteur, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, Strasbourg, France
J Neurosci 25:4856-67. 2005The transcription factor Otx2 is required to determine mesencephalic versus metencephalic (cerebellum/pons) territory during embryogenesis...
- The Vg1-related protein Gdf3 acts in a Nodal signaling pathway in the pre-gastrulation mouse embryoCanhe Chen
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Development 133:319-29. 2006..Our findings indicate that Gdf3 acts in a Nodal-like signaling pathway in pre-gastrulation development, and provide evidence for the functional conservation of Vg1 activity in mice...
- Multiple epigenetic maintenance factors implicated by the loss of Mll2 in mouse developmentStefan Glaser
Genomics, BioInnovationsZentrum, Dresden University of Technology, Am Tatzberg 47, Dresden 01307, Germany
Development 133:1423-32. 2006..expression patterns were correctly established, they were not maintained in the absence of Mll2, whereas Wnt1 and Otx2 were...
- Dose-dependent functions of Fgf8 in regulating telencephalic patterning centersElaine E Storm
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 2711, USA
Development 133:1831-44. 2006..These data suggest that Fgf8 functions to coordinate multiple patterning centers, and that modifications in the relative strength of FGF signaling can have profound effects on the relative size and nature of telencephalic subdivisions...
- Otx2 controls identity and fate of glutamatergic progenitors of the thalamus by repressing GABAergic differentiationEduardo Puelles
Medical Research Council Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, London SE1 1UL, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 26:5955-64. 2006..Here we investigated the consequence of Otx2 (orthodenticle homolog) ablation in glutamatergic progenitors of the dorsal thalamus (referred to as thalamus)...
- Temporal and spatial delineation of mouse Otx2 functions by conditional self-knockoutNicolas Fossat
BMC, UMR CNRS 5161 INRA 1237 ENS, IFR128 Lyon Gerland, 46 allee d Italie, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
EMBO Rep 7:824-30. 2006To identify the independent spatial and temporal activities of the essential developmental gene the Otx2, the germline mutation of which is lethal at embryonic day 8...
- Differences in neurogenic potential in floor plate cells along an anteroposterior location: midbrain dopaminergic neurons originate from mesencephalic floor plate cellsYuichi Ono
KAN Research Institute Inc, KobeMI R and D Center 6 7 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Development 134:3213-25. 2007..Analysis of dreher mutant mice carrying a mutation in the Lmx1a locus and transgenic mice ectopically expressing Otx2 in caudal FP cells demonstrated that Otx2 determines anterior identity that confers neurogenic activity to FP cells ..
- Functional roles of Otx2 transcription factor in postnatal mouse retinal developmentChieko Koike
Department of Developmental Biology, Osaka Bioscience Institute, 6 2 4 Furuedai, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 27:8318-29. 2007We previously reported that Otx2 is essential for photoreceptor cell fate determination; however, the functional role of Otx2 in postnatal retinal development is still unclear although it has been reported to be expressed in retinal ..
- Distinct and cooperative roles of mammalian Vg1 homologs GDF1 and GDF3 during early embryonic developmentOlov Andersson
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Dev Biol 311:500-11. 2007....
- Redundant roles of Tead1 and Tead2 in notochord development and the regulation of cell proliferation and survivalAtsushi Sawada
Laboratory for Embryonic Induction, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 28:3177-89. 2008..These results suggest that Tead1 and Tead2 are functionally redundant, use YAP as a major coactivator, and support notochord maintenance as well as cell proliferation and survival in mouse development...
- A comprehensive negative regulatory program controlled by Brn3b to ensure ganglion cell specification from multipotential retinal precursorsFeng Qiu
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Neurosci 28:3392-403. 2008..Our data suggest that Brn3b specifies the RGC fate from multipotential precursors not only by promoting RGC differentiation but also by suppressing non-RGC differentiation programs as a safeguard mechanism...
- Anterior-posterior graded response to Otx2 controls proliferation and differentiation of dopaminergic progenitors in the ventral mesencephalonDaniela Omodei
CEINGE Biotecnologie Avanzate, Via Comunale Margherita 482, 80145 Naples, Italy
Development 135:3459-70. 2008..We have previously shown that Otx2 is required for the establishment of the mesencephalic field and molecular code of the entire ventral mesencephalon ..
- Otx2 induction of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone promoter is modulated by direct interactions with Grg co-repressorsRachel Larder
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Center for Reproductive Science and Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0674, USA
J Biol Chem 284:16966-78. 2009..Here, we show that expression of Otx2, a homeodomain protein required for the formation of the forebrain, is dramatically up-regulated during GnRH ..
- Cyclin D1 fine-tunes the neurogenic output of embryonic retinal progenitor cellsGaurav Das
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, John A Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Neural Dev 4:15. 2009..How cyclin D1 influences RPC behavior, especially during the embryonic period, is unclear...
- Beta-catenin controls differentiation of the retinal pigment epithelium in the mouse optic cup by regulating Mitf and Otx2 expressionPeter Westenskow
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Development 136:2505-10. 2009..The transcription factors microphthalmia-associated transcription factor (Mitf) and orthodenticle homolog 2 (Otx2) are crucial for RPE development and function; however, very little is known about their regulation...
- Wnt1-lmx1a forms a novel autoregulatory loop and controls midbrain dopaminergic differentiation synergistically with the SHH-FoxA2 pathwaySangmi Chung
Department of Psychiatry and Program in Neuroscience, McLean Hospital Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Cell Stem Cell 5:646-58. 2009..We found that the Wnt1-Lmx1a autoregulatory loop directly regulates Otx2 through the beta-catenin complex and Nurr1 and Pitx3 through Lmx1a...
- COUP-TFs regulate eye development by controlling factors essential for optic vesicle morphogenesisKe Tang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 77030, USA
Development 137:725-34. 2010..that the expression of several regulatory genes essential for early optic vesicle development, including Pax6, Otx2, Mitf, Pax2 and Vax1/2, is altered in the corresponding compartments of the mutant eye...
- The transcription factor orthodenticle homeobox 2 influences axonal projections and vulnerability of midbrain dopaminergic neuronsChee Yeun Chung
Neuroregeneration Laboratories, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Brain 133:2022-31. 2010..These results show that orthodenticle homeobox 2 is important for establishing subgroup phenotypes of post-mitotic midbrain dopaminergic neurons and may alter neuronal vulnerability...
- Interactions of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and sonic hedgehog regulate the neurogenesis of ventral midbrain dopamine neuronsMianzhi Tang
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Francisco and Pathology Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Neurosci 30:9280-91. 2010..activation of beta-catenin signaling in vMB using the Shh-Cre mice show a marked expansion of Sox2-, Ngn2-, and Otx2-positive progenitors but perturbs their cell cycle exit and reduces the generation of dopamine neurons...
- Otx2 gene deletion in adult mouse retina induces rapid RPE dystrophy and slow photoreceptor degenerationFrancis Beby
Institut de Génomique Fonctionnelle de Lyon, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 5:e11673. 2010..This is the case for the homeobox gene Otx2, an essential actor of forebrain and head development. In adult mouse, Otx2 is strongly expressed in the retina...
- The ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling enzyme CHD7 regulates pro-neural gene expression and neurogenesis in the inner earElizabeth A Hurd
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Development 137:3139-50. 2010..reductions in vestibulo-cochlear ganglion size and neuron number in combination with reduced expression of Ngn1, Otx2 and Fgf10, concurrent with expansion of the neural fate suppressor Tbx1 and reduced cellular proliferation...
- Otx2 and Otx1 protect diencephalon and mesencephalon from caudalization into metencephalon during early brain regionalizationYusuke Sakurai
Laboratory for Vertebrate Body Plan, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN Kobe, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Dev Biol 347:392-403. 2010b>Otx2 is expressed in each step and site of head development. To dissect each Otx2 function we have identified a series of Otx2 enhancers...
- Deletion of Otx2 in GnRH neurons results in a mouse model of hypogonadotropic hypogonadismDaniel Diaczok
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:833-46. 2011..orthodenticle homeobox 2 (OTX2), a homeodomain protein required for the formation of the forebrain, has been shown to be expressed in GnRH neurons,..
- Hox and Pbx factors control retinoic acid synthesis during hindbrain segmentationAntonio Vitobello
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel, Switzerland
Dev Cell 20:469-82. 2011..These findings reveal a feed-forward mechanism linking Hox-Pbx-dependent RA synthesis during early axial patterning with the establishment of spatially restricted Hox-Pbx activity in the developing hindbrain...
- Aberrant Otx2 expression enhances migration and induces ectopic proliferation of hindbrain neuronal progenitor cellsMatthew Wortham
Department of Pathology, The Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Institute, and The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e36211. 2012Dysregulation of Otx2 is a hallmark of the pediatric brain tumor medulloblastoma, yet its functional significance in the establishment of these tumors is unknown...
- A regulatory loop involving PAX6, MITF, and WNT signaling controls retinal pigment epithelium developmentKapil Bharti
Mammalian Development Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 8:e1002757. 2012..The results suggest that careful manipulation of the Pax6 regulatory circuit may facilitate the generation of retinal and pigment epithelium cells from embryonic or induced pluripotent stem cells...
- Otx2 is an intrinsic determinant of the embryonic stem cell state and is required for transition to a stable epiblast stem cell conditionDario Acampora
CEINGE Biotecnologie Avanzate, Via G Salvatore 486, 80145 Naples, Italy
Development 140:43-55. 2013..Here we show that Otx2, a transcription factor essential for brain development, plays a crucial role in ESCs and EpiSCs...
- A vertebrate gene related to orthodenticle contains a homeodomain of the bicoid class and demarcates anterior neuroectoderm in the gastrulating mouse embryoA Simeone
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, CNR, Naples, Italy
EMBO J 12:2735-47. 1993We studied the expression of two vertebrate homeobox genes, Otx1 and Otx2, related to orthodenticle, a gene expressed in the developing head of Drosophila...
- Sequential roles for Otx2 in visceral endoderm and neuroectoderm for forebrain and midbrain induction and specificationM Rhinn
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM Universite Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
Development 125:845-56. 1998The homeobox gene Otx2 is a mouse cognate of the Drosophila orthodenticle gene, which is required for development of the brain, rostral to rhombomere three...
- Alternative usage of Otx2 promoters during mouse developmentNicolas Fossat
LBMC, ENS Lyon, IFR128 Lyon Gerland, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Dev Dyn 233:154-60. 2005Our previous structural analysis of mouse Otx2 transcripts has revealed the existence of three different promoters and suggested that the corresponding mRNAs could exhibit specific expression patterns...
- Expression of the homeobox gene Pitx2 in neural crest is required for optic stalk and ocular anterior segment developmentAmanda L Evans
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
Hum Mol Genet 14:3347-59. 2005..We propose a revised model of optic nerve development and new mechanisms that may underlie the etiology of glaucoma in Axenfeld-Rieger patients...
- Novel receptor protein tyrosine phosphatase (RPTPrho) and acidic fibroblast growth factor (FGF-1) transcripts delineate a rostrocaudal boundary in the granule cell layer of the murine cerebellar cortexP E McAndrew
Department of Neurology, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
J Comp Neurol 391:444-55. 1998..The restricted pattern of FGF-1 and RPTPrho implies that these molecules may have specific signaling roles in the tyrosine phosphorylation/dephosphorylation pathway in the anterior compartment of the adult cerebellar cortex...
- The isthmic organizer signal FGF8 is required for cell survival in the prospective midbrain and cerebellumCandace L Chi
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Development 130:2633-44. 2003..Our data show that Fgf8 is part of a complex gene regulatory network that is essential for cell survival in the mes/met...
- Overexpression of connexin43 alters the mutant phenotype of midgestational wnt-1 null mice resulting in recovery of the midbrain and cerebellumPatricia G Melloy
Department of Biology, Villanova University, Villanova, PA, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 283:224-38. 2005..We conclude from these studies that overexpression of the connexin43 gap junction restores cerebellar formation by compensating for the loss of wnt-1...
- The amn gene product is required in extraembryonic tissues for the generation of middle primitive streak derivativesC Tomihara-Newberger
Sloan Kettering Division, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Cornell University, 1275 York Avenue, New York, New York, 10021, USA
Dev Biol 204:34-54. 1998....
- Mesodermal patterning defect in mice lacking the Ste20 NCK interacting kinase (NIK)Y Xue
New York University Medical Center, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, NY, NY10016, USA
Development 128:1559-72. 2001....
- Role of Gbx2 and Otx2 in the mes-met organizer functionJames Li; Fiscal Year: 2003..Embryological and genetic studies have indicated that Gbx2 and Otx2 play an important role in formation of an organizing center at the mes-met boundary, which directs development ..
- Molecular Development of the Endolymphatic Duct and SacDaniel Choo; Fiscal Year: 2005..Significantly, this proposal includes challenging but achievable goals that will provide important knowledge to the field of inner ear development. ..
- Zic3 and the Control of Body Pattern FormationSTEPHANIE WARE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Through a combination of supervised research, scientific interchange, and selected coursework within this environment, the candidate will obtain the training necessary to transition to an independent investigator. ..
- Role of Par Genes in the Early Mouse EmbryoVERNADETH ALARCON; Fiscal Year: 2006..An understanding of cell polarization in the mouse embryo should have significant benefit for human health research related to reproductive problems. ..
- Resolving the nuclear fusion steps during yeast matingPatricia Melloy; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information and the tools used can then be applied to other cell biological and gene regulation questions during other types of membrane fusion. ..
- The role of cell polarity in vertebrate limb outgrowthJeffery Barrow; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore he will examine the epistatic relationship between Fgf and Wnt/PCP signaling in regulating cell polarity. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..