Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mir20a
Description: microRNA 20a
Alias: Mir-20, Mirn20, Mirn20a, mmu-mir-20a
- de Pontual L, Yao E, Callier P, Faivre L, Drouin V, Cariou S, et al. Germline deletion of the miR-17?92 cluster causes skeletal and growth defects in humans. Nat Genet. 2011;43:1026-30 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a regulatory function for miR-17?92 in growth and skeletal development and represent the first example of an miRNA gene responsible for a syndromic developmental defect in humans. ..
- Ventura A, Young A, Winslow M, Lintault L, Meissner A, Erkeland S, et al. Targeted deletion reveals essential and overlapping functions of the miR-17 through 92 family of miRNA clusters. Cell. 2008;132:875-86 pubmed publisher..These results provide key insights into the physiologic functions of this family of microRNAs and suggest a link between the oncogenic properties of miR-17 approximately 92 and its functions during B lymphopoiesis and lung development. ..
- Wu H, Wang F, Hu S, Yin C, Li X, Zhao S, et al. MiR-20a and miR-106b negatively regulate autophagy induced by leucine deprivation via suppression of ULK1 expression in C2C12 myoblasts. Cell Signal. 2012;24:2179-86 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data demonstrated that miR-20a and miR-106b regulated autophagy induced by leucine deprivation in C2C12 cells via targeting ULK1...
- Wang J, Greene S, Bonilla Claudio M, Tao Y, Zhang J, Bai Y, et al. Bmp signaling regulates myocardial differentiation from cardiac progenitors through a MicroRNA-mediated mechanism. Dev Cell. 2010;19:903-12 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that Bmp signaling directly regulates a miRNA-mediated effector mechanism that downregulates cardiac progenitor genes and enhances myocardial differentiation. ..
- Bai Y, Wang J, Morikawa Y, Bonilla Claudio M, Klysik E, Martin J. Bmp signaling represses Vegfa to promote outflow tract cushion development. Development. 2013;140:3395-402 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that Vegfa levels in the OFT are tightly controlled by Smad- and microRNA-dependent pathways to modulate OFT development. ..
- Li L, Shi J, Zhu G, Shi B. MiR-17-92 cluster regulates cell proliferation and collagen synthesis by targeting TGFB pathway in mouse palatal mesenchymal cells. J Cell Biochem. 2012;113:1235-44 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that miR-17-92 cluster could inhibit TGFB pathway induced proliferation inhibition and collagen synthesis in PMCs by directly targeting TGFBR2, SMAD2, and SMAD4. ..
- Chen Z, Wu J, Yang C, Fan P, Balazs L, Jiao Y, et al. DiGeorge syndrome critical region 8 (DGCR8) protein-mediated microRNA biogenesis is essential for vascular smooth muscle cell development in mice. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19018-28 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the DGCR8 gene is required for vascular development through the regulation of VSMC proliferation, apoptosis, and differentiation...
- Pan Y, Balazs L, Tigyi G, Yue J. Conditional deletion of Dicer in vascular smooth muscle cells leads to the developmental delay and embryonic mortality. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;408:369-74 pubmed publisher..5. Expression of most miRNAs examined was compromised in VSMCs of Dicer KO. Our results indicate that Dicer is required for vascular development and regulates vascular remodeling by modulating VSMC proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Wang M, Gu H, Qian H, Zhu W, Zhao C, Zhang X, et al. miR-17-5p/20a are important markers for gastric cancer and murine double minute 2 participates in their functional regulation. Eur J Cancer. 2013;49:2010-21 pubmed publisher..They may be promising therapeutic markers for gastric cancer. MDM2 contributes to miR-17-5p/20a function and inhibition of p21 in gastric cancer, and may be a novel mechanism underlying the oncogenic roles of miR-17-5p/20a. ..
- Hébert S, Horré K, Nicolaï L, Bergmans B, Papadopoulou A, Delacourte A, et al. MicroRNA regulation of Alzheimer's Amyloid precursor protein expression. Neurobiol Dis. 2009;33:422-8 pubmed publisher..This possibility is further corroborated by the observation that a statistically significant decrease in miR-106b expression was found in sporadic AD patients. ..
- Ries R, Yu W, Holton N, Cao H, Amendt B. Inhibition of the miR-17-92 Cluster Separates Stages of Palatogenesis. J Dent Res. 2017;96:1257-1264 pubmed publisher..The differential regulation of palatogenesis by members of the miR-17-92 cluster indicates that several gene combinations regulate palate elevation and extension during development. ..
- Wang J, Bai Y, Li H, Greene S, Klysik E, Yu W, et al. MicroRNA-17-92, a direct Ap-2? transcriptional target, modulates T-box factor activity in orofacial clefting. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003785 pubmed publisher..Our data are the first genetic evidence that an individual miR or miR cluster is functionally important in mammalian CL/P. ..
- Mao S, Li H, Sun Q, Zen K, Zhang C, Li L. miR-17 regulates the proliferation and differentiation of the neural precursor cells during mouse corticogenesis. FEBS J. 2014;281:1144-58 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that miR-17 family members play a pivotal role in regulating cell activity during early development of the mouse cortex. ..
- Wei W, Hou J, Alder O, Ye X, Lee S, Cullum R, et al. Genome-wide microRNA and messenger RNA profiling in rodent liver development implicates mir302b and mir20a in repressing transforming growth factor-beta signaling. Hepatology. 2013;57:2491-501 pubmed publisher..We validated the expression of mir302b in the endoderm by whole-mount in situ hybridization. Interestingly, mir20a, the most highly expressed miRNA in the endoderm library, was also predicted to regulate some of the same targets ..
- Pernaute B, Spruce T, Smith K, Sánchez Nieto J, Manzanares M, Cobb B, et al. MicroRNAs control the apoptotic threshold in primed pluripotent stem cells through regulation of BIM. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1873-8 pubmed publisher..These families therefore represent an essential buffer needed to maintain cell survival in stem cells that are primed for not only differentiation but also cell death. ..
- Guo L, Zhao J, Qu Y, Yin R, Gao Q, Ding S, et al. microRNA-20a Inhibits Autophagic Process by Targeting ATG7 and ATG16L1 and Favors Mycobacterial Survival in Macrophage Cells. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2016;6:134 pubmed..tuberculosis infection. ..
- Lu Y, Thomson J, Wong H, Hammond S, Hogan B. Transgenic over-expression of the microRNA miR-17-92 cluster promotes proliferation and inhibits differentiation of lung epithelial progenitor cells. Dev Biol. 2007;310:442-53 pubmed..Together, these studies suggest that mir-17-92 normally promotes the high proliferation and undifferentiated phenotype of lung epithelial progenitor cells. ..
- Jevnaker A, Khuu C, Kjøle E, Bryne M, Osmundsen H. Expression of members of the miRNA17-92 cluster during development and in carcinogenesis. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:2257-66 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the six microRNAs exhibit variable tissue expression, suggesting selective processing of these microRNAs. ..
- Hu S, Ren G, Liu J, Zhao Z, Yu Y, Su R, et al. MicroRNA expression and regulation in mouse uterus during embryo implantation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:23473-84 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we showed that Reck was the target gene of miR-21. Our data suggest that miR-21 may play a key role during embryo implantation. ..
- Larabee S, Coia H, Jones S, Cheung E, Gallicano G. miRNA-17 members that target Bmpr2 influence signaling mechanisms important for embryonic stem cell differentiation in vitro and gastrulation in embryos. Stem Cells Dev. 2015;24:354-71 pubmed publisher..This suppression influences fate decisions of cells by affecting genes downstream of BMPR2 as well as mesoderm invasion through regulation of actin dynamics. ..
- Sun X, Zhou Z, Fink D, Mata M. HspB1 silences translation of PDZ-RhoGEF by enhancing miR-20a and miR-128 expression to promote neurite extension. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2013;57:111-9 pubmed publisher..As RhoA-GTPase plays a regulatory role in the organization and stability of cytoskeletal networks through its downstream effectors, the results suggest a possible mechanism linking HspB1 mutations and axonal cytoskeletal pathology. ..
- Garg N, Po A, Miele E, Campese A, Begalli F, Silvano M, et al. microRNA-17-92 cluster is a direct Nanog target and controls neural stem cell through Trp53inp1. EMBO J. 2013;32:2819-32 pubmed publisher..We unveil an arm of the Nanog/p53 pathway, which regulates stemness in postnatal NSCs, wherein Nanog counteracts p53 signals through miR-17/20a-mediated repression of Trp53inp1. ..
- Mukhopadhyay P, Brock G, Pihur V, Webb C, Pisano M, Greene R. Developmental microRNA expression profiling of murine embryonic orofacial tissue. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2010;88:511-34 pubmed publisher..MicroRNA gene expression profiling is an effective means of acquiring novel and valuable information regarding the expression and regulation of genes, under the control of miRNA, involved in mammalian orofacial development...
- Chen A, Paik J, Zhang H, Shukla S, Mortensen R, Hu J, et al. STAR RNA-binding protein Quaking suppresses cancer via stabilization of specific miRNA. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1459-72 pubmed publisher..This p53-QKI-miR-20a-TGF? pathway expands our understanding of the p53 tumor suppression network in cancer and reveals a novel tumor suppression mechanism involving regulation of specific cancer-relevant microRNAs. ..
- Jee M, Jung J, Im Y, Jung S, Kang S. Silencing of miR20a is crucial for Ngn1-mediated neuroprotection in injured spinal cord. Hum Gene Ther. 2012;23:508-20 pubmed publisher..In the current study, we focused on miR20a, which causes continuing motor neuron degeneration when overexpressed in SCI lesions...
- He Z, Jiang J, Kokkinaki M, Tang L, Zeng W, Gallicano I, et al. MiRNA-20 and mirna-106a regulate spermatogonial stem cell renewal at the post-transcriptional level via targeting STAT3 and Ccnd1. Stem Cells. 2013;31:2205-17 pubmed publisher..This study thus provides novel insights into molecular mechanisms regulating renewal and differentiation of SSCs and may have important implications for regulating male reproduction. ..
- Zhang M, Liu Q, Mi S, Liang X, Zhang Z, Su X, et al. Both miR-17-5p and miR-20a alleviate suppressive potential of myeloid-derived suppressor cells by modulating STAT3 expression. J Immunol. 2011;186:4716-24 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that miR-17-5p and miR-20a could potentially be used for immunotherapy against diseases, especially cancer, by blocking STAT3 expression. ..
- Foshay K, Gallicano G. miR-17 family miRNAs are expressed during early mammalian development and regulate stem cell differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;326:431-43 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we demonstrate that these miRNAs regulate STAT3 mRNA in vitro. We suggest that STAT3, a known ES cell regulator, is one target mRNA responsible for the effects of these miRNAs on cellular differentiation. ..
- Wang J, Bai Y, Li N, Ye W, Zhang M, Greene S, et al. Pitx2-microRNA pathway that delimits sinoatrial node development and inhibits predisposition to atrial fibrillation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:9181-6 pubmed publisher..Together, to our knowledge, these findings provide the first genetic evidence for an miR loss-of-function that increases atrial fibrillation susceptibility. ..
- Andl T, Murchison E, Liu F, Zhang Y, Yunta Gonzalez M, Tobias J, et al. The miRNA-processing enzyme dicer is essential for the morphogenesis and maintenance of hair follicles. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1041-9 pubmed..These results reveal critical roles for Dicer in the skin and implicate miRNAs in key aspects of epidermal and hair-follicle development and function. ..
- Fang W, Guo J, Cao Y, Wang S, Pang C, Li M, et al. MicroRNA-20a-5p contributes to hepatic glycogen synthesis through targeting p63 to regulate p53 and PTEN expression. J Cell Mol Med. 2016;20:1467-80 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we found novel evidence suggesting that as a member of miR-17 family, miR-20a-5p contributes to hepatic glycogen synthesis through targeting p63 to regulate p53 and PTEN expression. ..
- Cai Z, Cao R, Zhang K, Xue Y, Zhang C, Zhou Y, et al. Oncogenic miR-17/20a Forms a Positive Feed-forward Loop with the p53 Kinase DAPK3 to Promote Tumorigenesis. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:19967-75 pubmed publisher..This newly identified tumorigenic pathway may thus contribute to miR-17/20a amplification and tumor growth in diverse human cancers. ..
- Sun K, Chen M, Tu M, Wang I, Chang S, Li C. MicroRNA-20a regulates autophagy related protein-ATG16L1 in hypoxia-induced osteoclast differentiation. Bone. 2015;73:145-53 pubmed publisher..7 cells. Thus, our findings suggest that the regulatory axis of HIF-1?-miRNA-20a-Atg16l1 might be a critical mechanism for hypoxia-induced osteoclast differentiation. ..
- Zeng Y, Pan Y, Liu H, Kang K, Wu Y, Hui G, et al. MiR-20a regulates the PRKG1 gene by targeting its coding region in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:4677-85 pubmed publisher..In summary, we provided a possible mechanism by which hypoxia results in decreased PRKG1 expression and in the phenotypic switching of PASMC. ..
- Shi C, Qi J, Huang P, Jiang M, Zhou Q, Zhou H, et al. MicroRNA-17/20a inhibits glucocorticoid-induced osteoclast differentiation and function through targeting RANKL expression in osteoblast cells. Bone. 2014;68:67-75 pubmed publisher..These results showed that microRNA-17/20a may play a significant role in glucocorticoid-induced osteoclast differentiation and function by targeting the RANKL expression in osteoblast cells. ..
- Shehadeh L, Sharma S, Pessanha M, Wei J, Liu J, Yuan H, et al. MicroRNA-20a constrains p300-driven myocardial angiogenic transcription by direct targeting of p300. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79133 pubmed publisher..p300 drives an angiogenic transcription program during hypertrophy that is fine-tuned in part through direct repression of p300 by miR-20a. ..
- Mukhopadhyay P, Brock G, Appana S, Webb C, Greene R, Pisano M. MicroRNA gene expression signatures in the developing neural tube. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2011;91:744-62 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to identify miRNA expression profiles and their potential regulatory networks in the developing mammalian NT. ..
- Lei Z, Li B, Yang Z, Fang H, Zhang G, Feng Z, et al. Regulation of HIF-1alpha and VEGF by miR-20b tunes tumor cells to adapt to the alteration of oxygen concentration. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7629 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify a novel molecular regulation mechanism through which miR-20b regulates HIF-1alpha and VEGF and is regulated by HIF-1alpha so to keep tumor cells adapting to different oxygen concentrations. ..