Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ki67
Description: antigen identified by monoclonal antibody Ki 67
Alias: D630048A14Rik, Ki-67, Ki67, proliferation marker protein Ki-67, antigen KI-67, antigen KI-67 homolog, antigen Ki67 homolog, antigen identified by monoclonal antibody Ki-67 homolog
- Desai T, Brownfield D, Krasnow M. Alveolar progenitor and stem cells in lung development, renewal and cancer. Nature. 2014;507:190-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that local signals regulate AT2 stem-cell activity: a signal transduced by EGFR-KRAS controls self-renewal and is hijacked during oncogenesis, whereas another signal controls reprogramming to AT1 fate. ..
- Perez Campo F, Costa G, Lie A Ling M, Stifani S, Kouskoff V, Lacaud G. MOZ-mediated repression of p16(INK) (4) (a) is critical for the self-renewal of neural and hematopoietic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2014;32:1591-601 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a critical requirement for MOZ HAT activity to silence p16(INK4a) expression and to protect stem cells from early entrance into replicative senescence. ..
- Gonsalvez D, Cane K, Landman K, Enomoto H, Young H, Anderson C. Proliferation and cell cycle dynamics in the developing stellate ganglion. J Neurosci. 2013;33:5969-79 pubmed publisher..Our results show that, like other neurons, sympathetic neuron differentiation is associated with exit from the cell cycle; sympathetic neurons are unusual in that they then re-enter the cell cycle before later permanently exiting. ..
- Shu W, Guttentag S, Wang Z, Andl T, Ballard P, Lu M, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lung. Dev Biol. 2005;283:226-39 pubmed..Thus, Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is a critical upstream regulator of proximal-distal patterning in the lung, in part, through regulation of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling. ..
- van Es J, Jay P, Gregorieff A, van Gijn M, Jonkheer S, Hatzis P, et al. Wnt signalling induces maturation of Paneth cells in intestinal crypts. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:381-6 pubmed..These observations imply that Wnt signals in the crypt can separately drive a stem-cell/progenitor gene programme and a Paneth-cell maturation programme. In intestinal cancer, both gene programmes are activated simultaneously...
- Clavel C, Grisanti L, Zemla R, Rezza A, Barros R, Sennett R, et al. Sox2 in the dermal papilla niche controls hair growth by fine-tuning BMP signaling in differentiating hair shaft progenitors. Dev Cell. 2012;23:981-94 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data identify Sox2 as a key regulator of hair growth that controls progenitor migration by fine-tuning BMP-mediated mesenchymal-epithelial crosstalk...
- Jaks V, Barker N, Kasper M, van Es J, Snippert H, Clevers H, et al. Lgr5 marks cycling, yet long-lived, hair follicle stem cells. Nat Genet. 2008;40:1291-9 pubmed publisher..Expression analysis suggests involvement of autocrine Hedgehog signaling in maintaining the Lgr5(+) stem cell population. ..
- Winking H, Gerdes J, Traut W. Expression of the proliferation marker Ki-67 during early mouse development. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2004;105:251-6 pubmed
- Ma T, Zhang Q, Cai Y, You Y, Rubenstein J, Yang Z. A subpopulation of dorsal lateral/caudal ganglionic eminence-derived neocortical interneurons expresses the transcription factor Sp8. Cereb Cortex. 2012;22:2120-30 pubmed publisher..migrate mainly along the subventricular/intermediate zone (SVZ/IZ) route; some continue to express mitotic markers (Ki67 and PH3) in the neonatal cortical SVZ/IZ...
- Galichet C, Guillemot F, Parras C. Neurogenin 2 has an essential role in development of the dentate gyrus. Development. 2008;135:2031-41 pubmed publisher..These data establish a unique role of Ngn2 in DG neurogenesis during development and raise the possibility that Ngn2 has a similar function in adult neurogenesis. ..
- Katayama K, Melendez J, Baumann J, Leslie J, Chauhan B, Nemkul N, et al. Loss of RhoA in neural progenitor cells causes the disruption of adherens junctions and hyperproliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7607-12 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a critical role of RhoA in the maintenance of apical adherens junctions and the regulation of neural progenitor proliferation in the developing mammalian brain...
- Regad T, Bellodi C, Nicotera P, Salomoni P. The tumor suppressor Pml regulates cell fate in the developing neocortex. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:132-40 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal an unexpected role of Pml in controlling the function of NPCs in the CNS. ..
- Gutin G, Fernandes M, Palazzolo L, Paek H, Yu K, Ornitz D, et al. FGF signalling generates ventral telencephalic cells independently of SHH. Development. 2006;133:2937-46 pubmed..Moreover, the Fgfr1;Fgfr2 phenotype, unlike the Shh phenotype, is not rescued by loss of Gli3, further indicating that FGFs act downstream of Shh and Gli3 to generate ventral telencephalic cell types. ..
- Fuchs S, Herzog D, Sumara G, Büchmann Møller S, Civenni G, Wu X, et al. Stage-specific control of neural crest stem cell proliferation by the small rho GTPases Cdc42 and Rac1. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;4:236-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal distinct mechanisms for growth control of NCSCs from different developmental stages. ..
- Fragkouli A, van Wijk N, Lopes R, Kessaris N, Pachnis V. LIM homeodomain transcription factor-dependent specification of bipotential MGE progenitors into cholinergic and GABAergic striatal interneurons. Development. 2009;136:3841-51 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that a LIM homeodomain transcriptional code confers cell-fate specification and neurotransmitter identity in neuronal subpopulations of the ventral forebrain. ..
- Matt N, Dupé V, Garnier J, Dennefeld C, Chambon P, Mark M, et al. Retinoic acid-dependent eye morphogenesis is orchestrated by neural crest cells. Development. 2005;132:4789-800 pubmed..We additionally show that RALDH1 and RALDH3 are the only enzymes that are required for RA synthesis in the eye region from E10.5 to E13.5, and that patterning of the dorsoventral axis of the retina does not require RA. ..
- Arnold K, Sarkar A, Yram M, Polo J, Bronson R, Sengupta S, et al. Sox2(+) adult stem and progenitor cells are important for tissue regeneration and survival of mice. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;9:317-29 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results identify Sox2 expression in numerous adult endodermal and ectodermal stem cell compartments, which are critical for normal tissue regeneration and survival. ..
- Siegenthaler J, Tremper Wells B, Miller M. Foxg1 haploinsufficiency reduces the population of cortical intermediate progenitor cells: effect of increased p21 expression. Cereb Cortex. 2008;18:1865-75 pubmed
- Tiozzo C, De Langhe S, Yu M, Londhe V, Carraro G, Li M, et al. Deletion of Pten expands lung epithelial progenitor pools and confers resistance to airway injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180:701-12 pubmed publisher..Pten has a pivotal role in lung stem cell homeostasis, cell differentiation, and consequently resistance to lung injury. ..
- Shaham O, Smith A, Robinson M, Taketo M, Lang R, Ashery Padan R. Pax6 is essential for lens fiber cell differentiation. Development. 2009;136:2567-78 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that Pax6 is pivotal for initiation of the lens fiber differentiation program in the mammalian eye...
- Gruber R, Zhou Z, Sukchev M, Joerss T, Frappart P, Wang Z. MCPH1 regulates the neuroprogenitor division mode by coupling the centrosomal cycle with mitotic entry through the Chk1-Cdc25 pathway. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:1325-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, MCPH1, through its function in the Chk1-Cdc25-Cdk1 pathway to couple the centrosome cycle with mitosis, is required for precise mitotic spindle orientation and thereby regulates the progenitor division mode to maintain brain size...
- Komada M, Saitsu H, Kinboshi M, Miura T, Shiota K, Ishibashi M. Hedgehog signaling is involved in development of the neocortex. Development. 2008;135:2717-27 pubmed publisher..Reduced Shh immunoreactivity in mutant dorsal telencephalons supports the above phenotypes. Our data indicate that Shh signaling plays an important role in development of the neocortex. ..
- Chen L, Melendez J, Campbell K, Kuan C, Zheng Y. Rac1 deficiency in the forebrain results in neural progenitor reduction and microcephaly. Dev Biol. 2009;325:162-70 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Rac1 regulates self-renewal, survival, and differentiation of telencephalic neural progenitors, and that dysfunctions of Rac1 may lead to primary microcephaly. ..
- Yip D, Corcoran C, Alvarez Saavedra M, Demaria A, Rennick S, Mears A, et al. Snf2l regulates Foxg1-dependent progenitor cell expansion in the developing brain. Dev Cell. 2012;22:871-8 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Snf2l binds to the Foxg1 locus at midneurogenesis and that the phenotype is rescued by reducing Foxg1 dosage, thus revealing that Snf2l and Foxg1 function antagonistically to regulate brain size. ..
- Yu F, Morin X, Kaushik R, Bahri S, Yang X, Chia W. A mouse homologue of Drosophila pins can asymmetrically localize and substitute for pins function in Drosophila neuroblasts. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:887-96 pubmed..We further show that Pins can fulfill all aspects of pins function in Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric cell divisions. Our results suggest a conservation of function between the fly and mammalian Pins homologues. ..
- Yi J, Chen M, Wu X, Yang X, Xu T, Zhuang Y, et al. Endothelial SUR-8 acts in an ERK-independent pathway during atrioventricular cushion development. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2005-13 pubmed publisher..However, ERK activation did not appear to be affected in mutant ECs, suggesting that SUR-8 may act in an ERK-independent pathway to regulate AVC development. ..
- Theriault F, Nuthall H, Dong Z, Lo R, Barnabe Heider F, Miller F, et al. Role for Runx1 in the proliferation and neuronal differentiation of selected progenitor cells in the mammalian nervous system. J Neurosci. 2005;25:2050-61 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest a previously unrecognized role for Runx1 in coordinating the proliferation and neuronal differentiation of selected populations of neural progenitors. ..
- Yang Q, Bermingham N, Finegold M, Zoghbi H. Requirement of Math1 for secretory cell lineage commitment in the mouse intestine. Science. 2001;294:2155-8 pubmed..The continuous rapid renewal of these cells makes the intestinal epithelium a model system for the study of stem cell regeneration and lineage commitment...
- Shu W, Lu M, Zhang Y, Tucker P, Zhou D, Morrisey E. Foxp2 and Foxp1 cooperatively regulate lung and esophagus development. Development. 2007;134:1991-2000 pubmed
- Malagelada C, López Toledano M, Willett R, Jin Z, Shelanski M, Greene L. RTP801/REDD1 regulates the timing of cortical neurogenesis and neuron migration. J Neurosci. 2011;31:3186-96 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, RTP801 overexpression delays neuronal differentiation. These findings suggest that endogenous RTP801 plays an essential role in temporal control of cortical development and in cortical patterning. ..
- Tateossian H, Hardisty Hughes R, Morse S, Romero M, Hilton H, Dean C, et al. Regulation of TGF-beta signalling by Fbxo11, the gene mutated in the Jeff otitis media mouse mutant. Pathogenetics. 2009;2:5 pubmed publisher..The finding that Fbxo11 impacts upon TGF-beta signalling has important implications for our understanding of the underlying disease mechanisms of middle ear inflammatory disease. ..
- Galabova Kovacs G, Matzen D, Piazzolla D, Meissl K, Plyushch T, Chen A, et al. Essential role of B-Raf in ERK activation during extraembryonic development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1325-30 pubmed..The data demonstrate that B-Raf plays a nonredundant role in ERK activation during extraembyronic mammalian development in vivo. ..
- Zhao X, D Arca D, Lim W, Brahmachary M, Carro M, Ludwig T, et al. The N-Myc-DLL3 cascade is suppressed by the ubiquitin ligase Huwe1 to inhibit proliferation and promote neurogenesis in the developing brain. Dev Cell. 2009;17:210-21 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Huwe1 balances proliferation and neurogenesis in the developing brain and that this pathway is subverted in malignant brain tumors. ..
- Wiley L, Dattilo L, Kang K, Giovannini M, Beebe D. The tumor suppressor merlin is required for cell cycle exit, terminal differentiation, and cell polarity in the developing murine lens. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3611-8 pubmed publisher..The lens provides an assay system to identify pathways critical for fiber cell differentiation and to test therapies for the tumors that occur in patients with NF2. ..
- Tanaka H, Nagaike K, Takeda N, Itoh H, Kohama K, Fukushima T, et al. Hepatocyte growth factor activator inhibitor type 1 (HAI-1) is required for branching morphogenesis in the chorioallantoic placenta. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5687-98 pubmed..Our results indicate that mouse HAI-1 is essential for branching morphogenesis in the chorioallantoic placenta and lack of HAI-1 function may result in placental failure. ..
- Kita A, Imayoshi I, Hojo M, Kitagawa M, Kokubu H, Ohsawa R, et al. Hes1 and Hes5 control the progenitor pool, intermediate lobe specification, and posterior lobe formation in the pituitary development. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:1458-66 pubmed..Thus, Hes genes control not only maintenance of progenitor cells but also intermediate vs. anterior lobe specification during the adenohypophysis development. Hes genes are also essential for the formation of the neurohypophysis. ..
- Hartfuss E, Galli R, Heins N, Gotz M. Characterization of CNS precursor subtypes and radial glia. Dev Biol. 2001;229:15-30 pubmed..Taken together, we have identified novel, functionally distinct subsets of CNS precursor cells...
- Lien W, Klezovitch O, Fernandez T, Delrow J, Vasioukhin V. alphaE-catenin controls cerebral cortical size by regulating the hedgehog signaling pathway. Science. 2006;311:1609-12 pubmed..We propose that alphaE-catenin connects cell-density-dependent adherens junctions with the developmental hedgehog pathway and that this connection may provide a negative feedback loop controlling the size of developing cerebral cortex. ..
- Feng Y, Walsh C. Mitotic spindle regulation by Nde1 controls cerebral cortical size. Neuron. 2004;44:279-93 pubmed..Our data show that mitotic spindle function and orientation are essential for normal development of mammalian cerebral cortex. ..
- Korinek V, Barker N, Moerer P, van Donselaar E, Huls G, Peters P, et al. Depletion of epithelial stem-cell compartments in the small intestine of mice lacking Tcf-4. Nat Genet. 1998;19:379-83 pubmed..The constitutive activity of Tcf-4 in APC-deficient human epithelial cells may contribute to their malignant transformation by maintaining stem-cell characteristics. ..
- Devenport D, Fuchs E. Planar polarization in embryonic epidermis orchestrates global asymmetric morphogenesis of hair follicles. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:1257-68 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide in vitro evidence that homotypic intracellular interactions of Celsr1 are required to recruit Vangl2 and Fzd6 to sites of cell-cell contact. ..
- Duggan A, Madathany T, de Castro S, Gerrelli D, Guddati K, Garcia Anoveros J. Transient expression of the conserved zinc finger gene INSM1 in progenitors and nascent neurons throughout embryonic and adult neurogenesis. J Comp Neurol. 2008;507:1497-520 pubmed publisher..We propose that, in mice and humans, INSM1 is likewise expressed transiently during terminal neurogenic divisions, from late progenitors to nascent neurons, and particularly during symmetric neuronogenic divisions. ..
- Franco S, Gil Sanz C, Martinez Garay I, Espinosa A, Harkins Perry S, Ramos C, et al. Fate-restricted neural progenitors in the mammalian cerebral cortex. Science. 2012;337:746-9 pubmed publisher..Because upper cortical layers were expanded during primate evolution, amplification of this RGC pool may have facilitated human brain evolution. ..
- Paik J, Ding Z, Narurkar R, Ramkissoon S, Muller F, Kamoun W, et al. FoxOs cooperatively regulate diverse pathways governing neural stem cell homeostasis. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;5:540-53 pubmed publisher..Thus, the FoxO family coordinately regulates diverse genes and pathways to govern key aspects of NSC homeostasis in the mammalian brain. ..
- Pan Y, Lin M, Tian X, Cheng H, Gridley T, Shen J, et al. gamma-secretase functions through Notch signaling to maintain skin appendages but is not required for their patterning or initial morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2004;7:731-43 pubmed
- Horsley V, Aliprantis A, Polak L, Glimcher L, Fuchs E. NFATc1 balances quiescence and proliferation of skin stem cells. Cell. 2008;132:299-310 pubmed publisher..Our findings may explain why patients receiving cyclosporine A for immunosuppressive therapy display excessive hair growth, and unveil a functional role for calcium-NFATc1-CDK4 circuitry in governing stem cell quiescence. ..
- Guertin D, Stevens D, Thoreen C, Burds A, Kalaany N, Moffat J, et al. Ablation in mice of the mTORC components raptor, rictor, or mLST8 reveals that mTORC2 is required for signaling to Akt-FOXO and PKCalpha, but not S6K1. Dev Cell. 2006;11:859-71 pubmed..Thus, mTORC1 function is essential in early development, mLST8 is required only for mTORC2 signaling, and mTORC2 is a necessary component of the Akt-FOXO and PKCalpha pathways. ..
- Siegenthaler J, Ashique A, Zarbalis K, Patterson K, Hecht J, KANE M, et al. Retinoic acid from the meninges regulates cortical neuron generation. Cell. 2009;139:597-609 pubmed publisher..Lastly, in utero RA treatment rescued the cortical phenotype in Foxc1 mutants. These results establish RA as a potent, meningeal-derived cue required for successful corticogenesis. ..
- Podsypanina K, Ellenson L, Nemes A, Gu J, Tamura M, Yamada K, et al. Mutation of Pten/Mmac1 in mice causes neoplasia in multiple organ systems. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:1563-8 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that PTEN is a regulator of apoptosis and proliferation that behaves as a "landscaper" tumor suppressor in the gut and a "gatekeeper" tumor suppressor in other organs...
- Lian G, Lu J, Hu J, Zhang J, Cross S, Ferland R, et al. Filamin a regulates neural progenitor proliferation and cortical size through Wee1-dependent Cdk1 phosphorylation. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7672-84 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results demonstrate a molecular mechanism whereby FlnA loss impaired G2 to M phase entry, leading to cell cycle prolongation, compromised neural progenitor proliferation, and reduced brain size. ..
- Soyer J, Flasse L, Raffelsberger W, Beucher A, Orvain C, Peers B, et al. Rfx6 is an Ngn3-dependent winged helix transcription factor required for pancreatic islet cell development. Development. 2010;137:203-12 pubmed publisher..By contrast, beta cells, whose number is only slightly reduced, were no longer clustered in a compact islet. These data unveil Rfx6 as a novel regulator of islet cell development. ..
- Collins C, Watt F. Dynamic regulation of retinoic acid-binding proteins in developing, adult and neoplastic skin reveals roles for beta-catenin and Notch signalling. Dev Biol. 2008;324:55-67 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that there is dynamic regulation of RA signalling in different regions of the skin and provide evidence for interactions between the RA, beta-catenin and Notch pathways. ..
- Konno D, Shioi G, Shitamukai A, Mori A, Kiyonari H, Miyata T, et al. Neuroepithelial progenitors undergo LGN-dependent planar divisions to maintain self-renewability during mammalian neurogenesis. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:93-101 pubmed..Our results suggest that planar mitosis ensures the self-renewal of neuroepithelial progenitors by one daughter inheriting both apical and basal compartments during neurogenesis. ..
- Kawase Koga Y, Low R, Otaegi G, Pollock A, Deng H, Eisenhaber F, et al. RNAase-III enzyme Dicer maintains signaling pathways for differentiation and survival in mouse cortical neural stem cells. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:586-94 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate important functions for Dicer in regulating NSC development by maintaining proper signaling pathways related to cell survival and differentiation. ..
- Huang C, Miyagawa S, Matsumaru D, Parker K, Yao H. Progenitor cell expansion and organ size of mouse adrenal is regulated by sonic hedgehog. Endocrinology. 2010;151:1119-28 pubmed publisher..Our results not only provide the genetic evidence to support that the adrenal capsule contributes to the growth of adrenocortex in both fetal and adult life but also identify a novel role of Shh in this process...
- Postiglione M, Jüschke C, Xie Y, Haas G, Charalambous C, Knoblich J. Mouse inscuteable induces apical-basal spindle orientation to facilitate intermediate progenitor generation in the developing neocortex. Neuron. 2011;72:269-84 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the orientation of progenitor cell divisions is important for correct lineage specification in the developing mammalian brain. ..
- Benninger Y, Thurnherr T, Pereira J, Krause S, Wu X, Chrostek Grashoff A, et al. Essential and distinct roles for cdc42 and rac1 in the regulation of Schwann cell biology during peripheral nervous system development. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:1051-61 pubmed..Our results indicate that although cdc42 is required for normal Schwann cell proliferation, rac1 regulates Schwann cell process extension and stabilization, allowing efficient radial sorting of axon bundles...
- Klinger S, Turgeon B, Lévesque K, Wood G, Aagaard Tillery K, Meloche S. Loss of Erk3 function in mice leads to intrauterine growth restriction, pulmonary immaturity, and neonatal lethality. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16710-5 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a critical role for Erk3 in the establishment of fetal growth potential and pulmonary function in the mouse. ..
- Le T, Wroblewski E, Patel S, Riesenberg A, Brown N. Math5 is required for both early retinal neuron differentiation and cell cycle progression. Dev Biol. 2006;295:764-78 pubmed..Thus, Math5 orchestrates neurogenesis in multiple ways, regulating both intrinsic and extrinsic processes. ..
- Wang X, O Connell D, Lund J, Saadi I, Kuraguchi M, Turbe Doan A, et al. Apc inhibition of Wnt signaling regulates supernumerary tooth formation during embryogenesis and throughout adulthood. Development. 2009;136:1939-49 pubmed publisher..In addition, we identify Fgf8, a known tooth initiation marker, as a direct target of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. These studies identify key mechanistic features responsible for supernumerary tooth formation. ..
- Chen J, Murchison E, Tang R, Callis T, Tatsuguchi M, Deng Z, et al. Targeted deletion of Dicer in the heart leads to dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2111-6 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies demonstrate essential roles for Dicer in cardiac contraction and indicate that miRNAs play critical roles in normal cardiac function and under pathological conditions. ..
- Madison B, Braunstein K, Kuizon E, Portman K, Qiao X, Gumucio D. Epithelial hedgehog signals pattern the intestinal crypt-villus axis. Development. 2005;132:279-89 pubmed..Thus, through a combined Hh signal to underlying ISEMFs, the epithelium patterns the crypt-villus axis, ensuring the proper size and location of the emerging precrypt compartment. ..
- Matsushima D, Heavner W, Pevny L. Combinatorial regulation of optic cup progenitor cell fate by SOX2 and PAX6. Development. 2011;138:443-54 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results demonstrate that precise regulation of the ratio of SOX2 to PAX6 is necessary to ensure accurate progenitor cell specification, and place SOX2 as a decisive factor of neural competence in the retina. ..
- Takahashi T, Takahashi K, St John P, Fleming P, Tomemori T, Watanabe T, et al. A mutant receptor tyrosine phosphatase, CD148, causes defects in vascular development. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:1817-31 pubmed..These findings implicate a member of the receptor tyrosine phosphatase family, CD148, in developmental vascular organization and provide evidence that it regulates endothelial proliferation and endothelium-pericyte interactions. ..
- Yu H, Jerchow B, Sheu T, Liu B, Costantini F, Puzas J, et al. The role of Axin2 in calvarial morphogenesis and craniosynostosis. Development. 2005;132:1995-2005 pubmed..The craniofacial anomalies caused by the Axin2 mutation are mediated through activation of beta-catenin signaling, suggesting a novel role for the Wnt pathway in skull morphogenesis. ..
- Miyoshi G, Butt S, Takebayashi H, Fishell G. Physiologically distinct temporal cohorts of cortical interneurons arise from telencephalic Olig2-expressing precursors. J Neurosci. 2007;27:7786-98 pubmed..We observe that the physiological subtypes of cortical interneurons are, to a large degree, unique to their time point of generation. ..
- Toresson H, Campbell K. A role for Gsh1 in the developing striatum and olfactory bulb of Gsh2 mutant mice. Development. 2001;128:4769-80 pubmed
- Cubelos B, Sebastián Serrano A, Kim S, Moreno Ortiz C, Redondo J, Walsh C, et al. Cux-2 controls the proliferation of neuronal intermediate precursors of the cortical subventricular zone. Cereb Cortex. 2008;18:1758-70 pubmed..Our results point to Cux-2 as a key element in the control of the proliferation rates of the SVZ precursors and the number of upper cortical neurons, without altering the number of deep cortical layers. ..
- Bird A, Flecknoe S, Tan K, Olsson P, Antony N, Mantamadiotis T, et al. cAMP response element binding protein is required for differentiation of respiratory epithelium during murine development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17843 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate a crucial role for Creb1 activity for the development and differentiation of the conducting and distal lung epithelium. ..
- Yi R, O Carroll D, Pasolli H, Zhang Z, Dietrich F, Tarakhovsky A, et al. Morphogenesis in skin is governed by discrete sets of differentially expressed microRNAs. Nat Genet. 2006;38:356-62 pubmed..Here we characterize miRNAs in skin, the existence of which was hitherto unappreciated, and demonstrate their differential expression and importance in the morphogenesis of epithelial tissues within this vital organ. ..
- Falk S, Wurdak H, Ittner L, Ille F, Sumara G, Schmid M, et al. Brain area-specific effect of TGF-beta signaling on Wnt-dependent neural stem cell expansion. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;2:472-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, TGF-beta signaling controls the size of a specific brain area, the dorsal midbrain, by antagonizing canonical Wnt signaling and negatively regulating self-renewal of neuroepithelial stem cells. ..
- Tsao P, Vasconcelos M, Izvolsky K, Qian J, LU J, Cardoso W. Notch signaling controls the balance of ciliated and secretory cell fates in developing airways. Development. 2009;136:2297-307 pubmed publisher..It might also be relevant to mediate the metaplastic changes in the respiratory epithelium that occur in pathological conditions, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. ..
- Robertson E, Charatsi I, Joyner C, Koonce C, Morgan M, Islam A, et al. Blimp1 regulates development of the posterior forelimb, caudal pharyngeal arches, heart and sensory vibrissae in mice. Development. 2007;134:4335-45 pubmed..Collectively, the present experiments demonstrate that Blimp1 requirements in diverse cell types are exquisitely dose dependent. ..
- Kobielak K, Pasolli H, Alonso L, Polak L, Fuchs E. Defining BMP functions in the hair follicle by conditional ablation of BMP receptor IA. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:609-23 pubmed
- Kawase Koga Y, Otaegi G, Sun T. Different timings of Dicer deletion affect neurogenesis and gliogenesis in the developing mouse central nervous system. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2800-12 pubmed publisher..Our studies of different timings of Dicer deletion demonstrate the importance of the Dicer-mediated microRNA pathway in regulating distinct phases of neurogenesis and gliogenesis during the CNS development. ..
- Van Keymeulen A, Mascre G, Youseff K, Harel I, Michaux C, De Geest N, et al. Epidermal progenitors give rise to Merkel cells during embryonic development and adult homeostasis. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:91-100 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that MCs arise from the epidermis by an Atoh1-dependent mechanism and opens new avenues for study of MC functions in sensory perception, neuroendocrine signaling, and MC carcinoma. ..
- Jacob J, Storm R, Castro D, Milton C, Pla P, Guillemot F, et al. Insm1 (IA-1) is an essential component of the regulatory network that specifies monoaminergic neuronal phenotypes in the vertebrate hindbrain. Development. 2009;136:2477-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, Insm1 regulates the synthesis of distinct monoaminergic neurotransmitters by acting combinatorially with, or independently of, Ascl1 in specific monoaminergic populations. ..
- Chenn A, Walsh C. Regulation of cerebral cortical size by control of cell cycle exit in neural precursors. Science. 2002;297:365-9 pubmed
- O Brien K, Alberich Jorda M, Yadav N, Kocher O, Diruscio A, Ebralidze A, et al. CARM1 is required for proper control of proliferation and differentiation of pulmonary epithelial cells. Development. 2010;137:2147-56 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate for the first time that CARM1 inhibits pulmonary cell proliferation and is required for proper differentiation of alveolar cells. ..
- Mantamadiotis T, Lemberger T, Bleckmann S, Kern H, Kretz O, Martin Villalba A, et al. Disruption of CREB function in brain leads to neurodegeneration. Nat Genet. 2002;31:47-54 pubmed..The striatal phenotype is reminiscent of Huntington disease and is consistent with the postulated role of CREB-mediated signaling in polyglutamine-triggered diseases. ..
- Paliouras G, Hamilton L, Aumont A, Joppé S, Barnabe Heider F, Fernandes K. Mammalian target of rapamycin signaling is a key regulator of the transit-amplifying progenitor pool in the adult and aging forebrain. J Neurosci. 2012;32:15012-26 pubmed publisher..These findings establish fundamental links between mTOR signaling, proliferation, and aging-associated quiescence in the adult forebrain NSC niche. ..
- St Jacques B, Dassule H, Karavanova I, Botchkarev V, Li J, Danielian P, et al. Sonic hedgehog signaling is essential for hair development. Curr Biol. 1998;8:1058-68 pubmed..Shh signaling is not required for initiating hair follicle development. Shh signaling is essential, however, for controlling ingrowth and morphogenesis of the hair follicle. ..