Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Irf9
Description: interferon regulatory factor 9
Alias: Irf-9, Isgf3g, p48, interferon regulatory factor 9, IFN-alpha-responsive transcription factor subunit, ISGF-3 gamma, ISGF3 p48 subunit, interferon dependent positive acting transcription factor 3 gamma, interferon-stimulated gene factor 3 gamma, transcriptional regulator ISGF3 subunit gamma
- Interferon regulatory factor 9 protects against hepatic insulin resistance and steatosis in male miceXin An Wang
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Hepatology 58:603-16. 2013..We found that the expression of interferon (IFN) regulatory factor 9 (IRF9), a major transcription factor mediating IFN responses, was lower in livers of obese mice than in those of their ..
- Essential and non-redundant roles of p48 (ISGF3 gamma) and IRF-1 in both type I and type II interferon responses, as revealed by gene targeting studiesT Kimura
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Genes Cells 1:115-24. 1996..element) which binds a heterotrimeric transcription factor, ISGF3 (IFN-stimulated gene factor 3) consisting of p48 (ISGF3 gamma), Stat1 (Signal transducers and activators of transcription-1; alpha or beta), and Stat2...
- The interferon-inducible murine p48 (ISGF3gamma) gene is regulated by protooncogene c-mycX Weihua
Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:7227-32. 1997b>p48 protein is an integral component of the multimeric interferon (IFN)-regulated transcription factor, ISGF3. We have shown earlier that this gene is regulated by a novel IFN-gamma-regulated element...
- Distinct and essential roles of transcription factors IRF-3 and IRF-7 in response to viruses for IFN-alpha/beta gene inductionM Sato
Department of Immunology, Graduate School of Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Immunity 13:539-48. 2000..These results demonstrate the essential and distinct roles of thetwo factors, which together ensure the transcriptional efficiency and diversity of IFN-alpha/beta genes for the antiviral response...
- Interferon regulatory factor 9 protects against cardiac hypertrophy by targeting myocardinDing Sheng Jiang
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University Cardiovascular Research Institute, Wuhan University, JieFang Rd 238, Wuhan 430060, PR China
Hypertension 63:119-27. 2014Pathological cardiac hypertrophy is a major risk factor for heart failure. In this study, we identified interferon regulatory factor 9 (IRF9), a member of the IRF family, as a previously unidentified negative regulator of cardiac ..
- IRF-7 is the master regulator of type-I interferon-dependent immune responsesKenya Honda
Department of Immunology, Graduate School of Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Hongo 7 3 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Nature 434:772-7. 2005..Thus, all elements of IFN responses, whether the systemic production of IFN in innate immunity or the local action of IFN from plasmacytoid dendritic cells in adaptive immunity, are under the control of IRF-7...
- IRF9 and STAT1 are required for IgG autoantibody production and B cell expression of TLR7 in miceDonna L Thibault
Department of Medicine, Division of Immunology and Rheumatology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Clin Invest 118:1417-26. 2008..Here, we demonstrate that 2 IFN-I signaling molecules, IFN regulatory factor 9 (IRF9) and STAT1, were required for the production of IgG autoantibodies in the pristane-induced mouse model of SLE...
- A critical role for interferon regulatory factor 9 in cerebral ischemic strokeHou Zao Chen
State Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100005, China
J Neurosci 34:11897-912. 2014..b>Interferon regulatory factor 9 (IRF9), a transcription factor that regulates innate immune responses, has been implicated in ..
- Contribution of a TANK-binding kinase 1-interferon (IFN) regulatory factor 7 pathway to IFN-γ-induced gene expressionMatthias Farlik
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Genetics, Microbiology and Immunobiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Mol Cell Biol 32:1032-43. 2012..Here we show that the Irf7 gene is regulated by transcription factors STAT1 and IRF9 in response to the type II interferon (IFN) IFN-γ...
- Completion of the entire hepatitis C virus life cycle in genetically humanized miceMarcus Dorner
Center for the Study of Hepatitis C, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nature 501:237-41. 2013....
- Host-cell sensors for Plasmodium activate innate immunity against liver-stage infectionPeter Liehl
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina Universidade de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
Nat Med 20:47-53. 2014..Together, our results show that the liver has sensor mechanisms for Plasmodium that mediate a functional antiparasite response driven by type I IFN. ..
- STAT1-cooperative DNA binding distinguishes type 1 from type 2 interferon signalingAndreas Begitt
1 School of Life Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK 2
Nat Immunol 15:168-76. 2014..We conclude that STAT1 cooperativity is essential for its biological activity and underlies the cellular responses to type 2, but not type 1 interferon. ..
- IRF7-dependent type I interferon production induces lethal immune-mediated disease in STAT1 knockout mice infected with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virusWen Li
School of Molecular Bioscience and the Bosch Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Virol 88:7578-88. 2014..infection with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV), STAT1 knockout (KO) mice but not wild-type, STAT2 KO, IRF9 KO, or IFNAR KO mice develop lethal disease perpetrated by CD4(+) T cells...
- Type-I interferon signaling through ISGF3 complex is required for sustained Rip3 activation and necroptosis in macrophagesScott McComb
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5 Department of Oncology, University Children s Hospital, University of Zurich, 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:E3206-13. 2014..tonic IFN-stimulated gene factor 3 (ISGF3) signaling, which leads to persistent expression of STAT1, STAT2, and IRF9. Induction of IFNAR1/Rip3-dependent necroptosis also resulted in potent inflammatory pathology in vivo...
- Absence of STAT1 in donor-derived plasmacytoid dendritic cells results in increased STAT3 and attenuates murine GVHDChristian M Capitini
Department of Pediatrics and Carbone Cancer Center, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI
Blood 124:1976-86. 2014..Finally, elevated STAT3 was found in STAT1(-/-) pDCs isolated after alloBMT. We conclude that interfering with interferon signaling in APCs such as pDCs provides a novel approach to regulate the GVHD/GVT axis. ..
- Interferon regulatory factor 9 is an essential mediator of heart dysfunction and cell death following myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injuryYan Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, 430060, China
Basic Res Cardiol 109:434. 2014This study aimed to investigate whether interferon regulatory factor 9 (IRF9) is involved in the pathogenesis of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury and to explore the underlying molecular mechanisms of this process...
- IFN-α directly promotes programmed cell death-1 transcription and limits the duration of T cell-mediated immunitySeigo Terawaki
Department of Immunology and Genomic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Yoshida Konoe, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Immunol 186:2772-9. 2011..maintenance of PD-1 expression on TCR-engaged primary mouse T cells through an association IFN-responsive factor 9 (IRF9) to the IFN stimulation response element...
- Interferon regulatory factor 9 is critical for neointima formation following vascular injuryShu Min Zhang
1 Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China 2 Cardiovascular Research Institute, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
Nat Commun 5:5160. 2014b>Interferon regulatory factor 9 (IRF9) has various biological functions and regulates cell survival; however, its role in vascular biology has not been explored...
- STAT2/IRF9 directs a prolonged ISGF3-like transcriptional response and antiviral activity in the absence of STAT1Katarzyna Blaszczyk
Department of Human Molecular Genetics, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Faculty of Biology, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
Biochem J 466:511-24. 2015..is accumulating for the existence of a signal transducer and activator of transcription 2 (STAT2)/interferon regulatory factor 9 (IRF9)-dependent, STAT1-independent interferon alpha (IFNα) signalling pathway...
- The transcription factor IRF1 and guanylate-binding proteins target activation of the AIM2 inflammasome by Francisella infectionSi Ming Man
1 Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee, USA 2 School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Nat Immunol 16:467-75. 2015..Our results reveal a specific requirement for IRF1 and GBPs in the liberation of DNA for sensing by AIM2 depending on the pathogen encountered by the cell. ..
- Noncanonical Effects of IRF9 in Intestinal Inflammation: More than Type I and Type III InterferonsIsabella Rauch
Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Mol Cell Biol 35:2332-43. 2015The interferon (IFN)-stimulated gene factor 3 (ISGF3) transcription factor with its Stat1, Stat2, and interferon regulatory factor 9 (IRF9) subunits is employed for transcriptional responses downstream of receptors for type I interferons (..
- Type I interferons regulate eomesodermin expression and the development of unconventional memory CD8(+) T cellsValérie Martinet
WELBIO and Institute for Medical Immunology IMI, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies 6041, Belgium
Nat Commun 6:7089. 2015..In conclusion, we demonstrate that type I interferon signalling in CD8(+) T cells drives Eomes expression and thereby regulates the function and homeostasis of memory-like CD8(+) T cells. ..
- Different STAT Transcription Complexes Drive Early and Delayed Responses to Type I IFNsAli A Abdul-Sater
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032
J Immunol 195:210-6. 2015..These observations raise the possibility that this pathway evolved in response to microbes that have devised strategies to subvert Stat1-dependent responses. ..
- An alternate pathway for type 1 T cell differentiationC Feng
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Ehime University School of Medicine, Shigenobu, Ehime 791 0295, Japan
Int Immunol 11:1185-94. 1999..This leads to the hypothesis that the IL-12-independent novel pathway for inducing IFN-gamma-producing T cells is distinct from the classical type 1/type 2 T cell subset differentiation pathway...
- The role of Irf6 in tooth epithelial invaginationJames Blackburn
Department of Craniofacial Development and Comprehensive Biomedical Research Centre, Dental Institute, King s College London, UK
Dev Biol 365:61-70. 2012..Irf6 thus also plays a critical role in regulating epithelial invagination. In addition, we also found that canonical Wnt signaling is upregulated in evaginated incisor epithelium of both Ikkα and Irf6 mutant embryos...
- Mice deficient in STAT1 but not STAT2 or IRF9 develop a lethal CD4+ T-cell-mediated disease following infection with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virusMarkus J Hofer
School of Molecular Bioscience and the Bosch Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Virol 86:6932-46. 2012..While type I IFN signaling is mediated by STAT1, STAT2, and IRF9, type II IFN signaling requires only STAT1...
- IFIT2 is an effector protein of type I IFN-mediated amplification of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced TNF-α secretion and LPS-induced endotoxin shockAlexandra Siegfried
Interfakultäres Institut für Mikrobiologie und Infektionsmedizin, Eberhard Karl Universität Tuebingen, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Immunol 191:3913-21. 2013..Thus, IFN-stimulated Ifit2 via enhanced Irf3 phosphorylation upregulates the secretion of proinflammatory cytokines. It thereby amplifies LPS-induced cytokine production and critically influences the outcome of endotoxin shock. ..
- The type I interferon-alpha mediates a more severe neurological disease in the absence of the canonical signaling molecule interferon regulatory factor 9Markus J Hofer
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences and Bosch Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
J Neurosci 30:1149-57. 2010..Interferon regulatory factor (IRF9) is involved in type I IFN-regulated gene expression where it associates with STAT1:STAT2 heterodimers to form the ..
- Structure of mouse interferon stimulated gene factor 3 gamma (ISGF3 gamma/p48) cDNA and chromosomal localization of the geneW Suhara
Department of Tumor Cell Biology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science
J Biochem 119:231-4. 1996..Furthermore, the locus of the ISGF3 gamma gene, designated as Isgf3g, was mapped to distal mouse chromosome 14 by linkage analysis using an intersubspecific backcross typing panel.
- Interferon gamma-induced transcription of the murine ISGF3gamma (p48) gene is mediated by novel factorsX Weihua
University of Maryland Cancer Center, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:103-8. 1997In this investigation, we show that the gene encoding p48, a subunit of transcription factor ISGF3, is transcriptionally induced by interferon gamma (IFN-gamma)...
- CD8(+) T cell-mediated skin disease in mice lacking IRF-2, the transcriptional attenuator of interferon-alpha/beta signalingS Hida
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine and Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Hongo 7 3 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Immunity 13:643-55. 2000..IRF-2 may represent a unique negative regulator, attenuating IFN-alpha/beta-induced gene transcription, which is necessary for balancing the beneficial and harmful effects of IFN-alpha/beta signaling in the immune system...
- Nucleotide sequence analysis of the approximately 35-kb segment containing interferon-gamma-inducible mouse proteasome activator genesM Yawata
CREST, Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, Hayama 240 0193, Japan
Immunogenetics 53:119-29. 2001..expressed gene with no known function)-Psme2-Flj10111 (a gene coding for a protein with two RING finger domains)-Isgf3g (an interferon-gamma-inducible gene coding for an interferon-dependent, positive-acting transcription factor 3 ..
- Stat1 functions as a cytoplasmic attenuator of Runx2 in the transcriptional program of osteoblast differentiationSunhwa Kim
Department of Immunology, Graduate School of Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Genes Dev 17:1979-91. 2003..Our study provides a unique example in which a latent transcription factor attenuates the activity of another transcription factor in the cytoplasm, and reveals a new regulatory mechanism in bone remodeling...
- Differential regulation of interferon regulatory factor (IRF)-7 and IRF-9 gene expression in the central nervous system during viral infectionShalina S Ousman
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, G08 Maze Crescent, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
J Virol 79:7514-27. 2005....
- Development of monoclonal antibodies against GBF1 and their use in studying its functionsSanjit K Roy
Greenebaum Cancer Center, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, 655 W Baltimore Street, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Interferon Cytokine Res 25:666-73. 2005..Furthermore, other cytokines, such as interleukin-1 (IL-1) and IL-6, induced the expression of GBF1. These antibodies may be useful tools for investigating the role of GBF1 in cytokine-induced responses...
- Acetylation-dependent signal transduction for type I interferon receptorXiaoli Tang
Department of Surgery, Brown University Medical School, Rhode Island Hospital, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Cell 131:93-105. 2007..and phospho-Ser384, CBP acetylates IFNalphaR2 on Lys399, which in turn serves as the docking site for interferon regulatory factor 9 (IRF9)...
- Critical role of the IFN-stimulated gene factor 3 complex in TLR-mediated IL-27p28 gene expression revealing a two-step activation processCéline Molle
Institute for Medical Immunology, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
J Immunol 184:1784-92. 2010..Type I IFN signaling was necessary for sustained IRF1 activation and formation of the IRF9-containing IFN-stimulated gene factor 3 complex...
- DNA released from dying host cells mediates aluminum adjuvant activityThomas Marichal
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Groupe Interdisciplinaire de Genoproteomique Appliquee, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Nat Med 17:996-1002. 2011....
- NOD1 contributes to mouse host defense against Helicobacter pylori via induction of type I IFN and activation of the ISGF3 signaling pathwayTomohiro Watanabe
Mucosal Immunity Section, Laboratory of Host Defenses, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 120:1645-62. 2010..pylori and possibly other mucosal infections...
- Community dynamics in the mouse gut microbiota: a possible role for IRF9-regulated genes in community homeostasisClaire L Thompson
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
PLoS ONE 5:e10335. 2010..Here we have examined the impact of host immunoregulatory phenotype on community dynamics...
- A novel role for cardiac ankyrin repeat protein Ankrd1/CARP as a co-activator of the p53 tumor suppressor proteinSnezana Kojic
Institute of Molecular Genetics and Genetic Engineering, University of Belgrade, 11010 Belgrade, Serbia
Arch Biochem Biophys 502:60-7. 2010..It is probable that Ankrd1/CARP has a role in the propagation of signals initiated by myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs) during myogenesis...
- Nonconventional initiation complex assembly by STAT and NF-kappaB transcription factors regulates nitric oxide synthase expressionMatthias Farlik
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Genetics, Microbiology and Immunobiology, University of Vienna, Dr Bohr Gasse 9 4, A1030 Vienna, Austria
Immunity 33:25-34. 2010..sequential and cooperative contributions of the transcription factors ISGF3 (a complex containing STAT1, STAT2, and IRF9 subunits) and NF-kappaB to the transcriptional induction of the Nos2 gene in macrophages infected with the ..
- Transcription factor redundancy ensures induction of the antiviral stateSonja Schmid
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 285:42013-22. 2010....
- Possible involvement of the transcription factor ISGF3 gamma in virus-induced expression of the IFN-beta geneT Kawakami
Institute for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Osaka University, Japan
FEBS Lett 358:225-9. 1995..These results suggest that ISGF3 gamma or complex containing ISGF3 gamma is involved in the IRF-1-independent pathway mediating IFN-beta gene regulation...