Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Dbx1
Description: developing brain homeobox 1
Alias: AI426026, Dbx, homeobox protein DBX1, Mmox C, developing brain homeobox protein 1
- Lanuza G, Gosgnach S, Pierani A, Jessell T, Goulding M. Genetic identification of spinal interneurons that coordinate left-right locomotor activity necessary for walking movements. Neuron. 2004;42:375-86 pubmed..a discrete subset of commissural spinal interneurons, whose fate is controlled by the activity of the homeobox gene Dbx1, has a critical role in controlling the left-right alternation of motor neurons innervating hindlimb muscles...
- Bai C, Stephen D, Joyner A. All mouse ventral spinal cord patterning by hedgehog is Gli dependent and involves an activator function of Gli3. Dev Cell. 2004;6:103-15 pubmed..Therefore, in the spinal cord all Hh signaling is Gli dependent. Furthermore, a combination of Gli2 and Gli3 is required to regulate motor neuron development and spatial patterning of ventral spinal cord progenitors. ..
- Pierani A, Brenner Morton S, Chiang C, Jessell T. A sonic hedgehog-independent, retinoid-activated pathway of neurogenesis in the ventral spinal cord. Cell. 1999;97:903-15 pubmed..for this parallel pathway emerged from an analysis of the induction of ventral progenitors that express the Dbx homeodomain proteins and of Evx1/2 (V0) and En1 (V1) neurons...
- Teissier A, Griveau A, Vigier L, Piolot T, Borello U, Pierani A. A novel transient glutamatergic population migrating from the pallial-subpallial boundary contributes to neocortical development. J Neurosci. 2010;30:10563-74 pubmed publisher..Using genetic tracing in mice, we have identified a population of glutamatergic neurons generated by Dbx1-expressing progenitors at the pallial-subpallial boundary predominantly at embryonic day 12.5 (E12...
- Gray P, Hayes J, Ling G, Llona I, Tupal S, Picardo M, et al. Developmental origin of preBötzinger complex respiratory neurons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:14883-95 pubmed publisher..in mice, that the "core" of preBötC SST(+)/NK1R(+)/SST 2a receptor(+) (SST2aR) neurons, are derived from Dbx1-expressing progenitors...
- Shoji H, Ito T, Wakamatsu Y, Hayasaka N, Ohsaki K, Oyanagi M, et al. Regionalized expression of the Dbx family homeobox genes in the embryonic CNS of the mouse. Mech Dev. 1996;56:25-39 pubmedHere we report the identification of a novel homeobox gene family Dbx in mouse, which consists of Dbx and Dbx2. The two genes share similar structural organization and are encoded by different chromosomes...
- Hanashima C, Fernandes M, Hebert J, Fishell G. The role of Foxg1 and dorsal midline signaling in the generation of Cajal-Retzius subtypes. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11103-11 pubmed
- Picardo M, Weragalaarachchi K, Akins V, Del Negro C. Physiological and morphological properties of Dbx1-derived respiratory neurons in the pre-Botzinger complex of neonatal mice. J Physiol. 2013;591:2687-703 pubmed publisher..rhythm-generating preBötC neurons derive from a single genetic line that expresses the transcription factor Dbx1, but the cellular mechanisms of rhythmogenesis remain incompletely understood...
- Flames N, Pla R, Gelman D, Rubenstein J, Puelles L, Marin O. Delineation of multiple subpallial progenitor domains by the combinatorial expression of transcriptional codes. J Neurosci. 2007;27:9682-95 pubmed..Furthermore, the results of microtransplantation experiments in vivo corroborate that anatomically defined regions of the mouse subpallium, such as the medial ganglionic eminence, can be subdivided into functionally distinct domains. ..
- Yun K, Potter S, Rubenstein J. Gsh2 and Pax6 play complementary roles in dorsoventral patterning of the mammalian telencephalon. Development. 2001;128:193-205 pubmed..The role of Pax6 in dorsalizing the telencephalon is similar to its role in the spinal cord, supporting the hypothesis that some dorsoventral patterning mechanisms are used at all axial levels of the central nervous system. ..
- Zimmer C, Lee J, Griveau A, Arber S, Pierani A, Garel S, et al. Role of Fgf8 signalling in the specification of rostral Cajal-Retzius cells. Development. 2010;137:293-302 pubmed publisher..Together, our results shed light on the mechanisms specifying rostral CR cells and further emphasise the crucial role of telencephalic signalling centres in the generation of distinct CR cell populations. ..
- Lu S, Bogarad L, Murtha M, Ruddle F. Expression pattern of a murine homeobox gene, Dbx, displays extreme spatial restriction in embryonic forebrain and spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:8053-7 pubmedHomeobox genes specify regional identity during development. A homeobox sequence that we have named Dbx was isolated from 13.5-day embryonic mouse telencephalon cDNA. The Dbx homeodomain shows highest sequence homology to Drosophila H2...
- Pierani A, Moran Rivard L, Sunshine M, Littman D, Goulding M, Jessell T. Control of interneuron fate in the developing spinal cord by the progenitor homeodomain protein Dbx1. Neuron. 2001;29:367-84 pubmed..derive from adjacent progenitor domains that are distinguished by expression of the homeodomain proteins Dbx1 and Dbx2...
- Bielle F, Griveau A, Narboux Nême N, Vigneau S, Sigrist M, Arber S, et al. Multiple origins of Cajal-Retzius cells at the borders of the developing pallium. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:1002-12 pubmed..The homeodomain transcription factor Dbx1 is expressed in restricted progenitor domains of the developing pallium: the ventral pallium (VP) and the septum...
- Inoue T, Ogawa M, Mikoshiba K, Aruga J. Zic deficiency in the cortical marginal zone and meninges results in cortical lamination defects resembling those in type II lissencephaly. J Neurosci. 2008;28:4712-25 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the Zic genes play critical roles in cortical development through regulating the proliferation of meningeal cells and the pial BM assembly. ..
- Martinelli D, Fan C. Gas1 extends the range of Hedgehog action by facilitating its signaling. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1231-43 pubmed..Our data support a model in which GAS1 helps transform the Hedgehog protein gradient into the observed activity gradient. We propose that Gas1 is an evolutionarily novel, vertebrate-specific Hedgehog pathway regulator. ..
- Hirata T, Li P, Lanuza G, Cocas L, Huntsman M, Corbin J. Identification of distinct telencephalic progenitor pools for neuronal diversity in the amygdala. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:141-9 pubmed publisher..distinct and early-specified telencephalic progenitor pools marked by the homeodomain transcription factor Dbx1 are major sources of neuronal cell diversity in the mature mouse amygdala...
- Alvarez Bolado G, Paul F, Blaess S. Sonic hedgehog lineage in the mouse hypothalamus: from progenitor domains to hypothalamic regions. Neural Dev. 2012;7:4 pubmed publisher..Our work sets the stage for a deeper developmental analysis of this complex and important brain region. ..
- Stenman J, Wang B, Campbell K. Tlx controls proliferation and patterning of lateral telencephalic progenitor domains. J Neurosci. 2003;23:10568-76 pubmed..Our results show that, although Gsh2 and Tlx have additive effects on striatal development, they differentially regulate the establishment of ventral pallial identity. ..
- Nouri N, Awatramani R. A novel floor plate boundary defined by adjacent En1 and Dbx1 microdomains distinguishes midbrain dopamine and hypothalamic neurons. Development. 2017;144:916-927 pubmed publisher..the mdFP into two microdomains, defined by engrailed 1 (En1) and developing brain homeoboxÂ 1 (Dbx1)...
- Pachikara A, Dolson D, Martinu L, Riccomagno M, Jeong Y, Epstein D. Activation of Class I transcription factors by low level Sonic hedgehog signaling is mediated by Gli2-dependent and independent mechanisms. Dev Biol. 2007;305:52-62 pubmed..the adjacent hindbrain by inducing, rather than repressing, the expression of several Class I genes (Pax6, Dbx1, Dbx2). The Shh dependent activation of Class I genes was mediated, in part, by Gli2...
- Wu J, Capelli P, Bouvier J, Goulding M, Arber S, Fortin G. A V0 core neuronal circuit for inspiration. Nat Commun. 2017;8:544 pubmed publisher..Here using virus-based circuit-mapping approaches in mice, the authors reveal the lineage, neurotransmitter phenotype, and connectivity patterns of phrenic premotor neurons, which are a crucial component of the inspiratory circuit. ..
- Allen B, Song J, Izzi L, Althaus I, Kang J, Charron F, et al. Overlapping roles and collective requirement for the coreceptors GAS1, CDO, and BOC in SHH pathway function. Dev Cell. 2011;20:775-87 pubmed publisher..Most strikingly, genetic loss-of-function experiments indicate an obligatory requirement for GAS1, CDO, and BOC in HH pathway activity in multiple tissues. ..
- Bulgakov O, Eggenschwiler J, Hong D, Anderson K, Li T. FKBP8 is a negative regulator of mouse sonic hedgehog signaling in neural tissues. Development. 2004;131:2149-59 pubmed..Although it is expressed broadly, FKBP8 is required to antagonize SHH signaling primarily in neural tissues, suggesting that hedgehog signal transduction is subject to cell-type specific modulation during mammalian development. ..
- Pattyn A, Vallstedt A, Dias J, Sander M, Ericson J. Complementary roles for Nkx6 and Nkx2 class proteins in the establishment of motoneuron identity in the hindbrain. Development. 2003;130:4149-59 pubmed..Thus, both visceral and somatic motoneuron differentiation appear to rely on the combined activity of cell intrinsic determinants, rather than on a single key determinant of neuronal cell fate. ..
- Nomura T, Takahashi M, Hara Y, Osumi N. Patterns of neurogenesis and amplitude of Reelin expression are essential for making a mammalian-type cortex. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1454 pubmed publisher..These lines of evidence shed light on the developmental programs underlying the evolution of the mammalian specific laminated cortex...
- Ikeya M, Lee S, Johnson J, McMahon A, Takada S. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature. 1997;389:966-70 pubmed..Given the widespread expression of different Wnt genes in discrete areas of the mammalian neural tube, this may represent a general model for the action of Wnt signalling in the developing CNS. ..
- Holtz A, Peterson K, Nishi Y, Morin S, Song J, Charron F, et al. Essential role for ligand-dependent feedback antagonism of vertebrate hedgehog signaling by PTCH1, PTCH2 and HHIP1 during neural patterning. Development. 2013;140:3423-34 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data reveal an essential role for ligand-dependent feedback inhibition of vertebrate HH signaling governed collectively by PTCH1, PTCH2 and HHIP1. ..
- Genethliou N, Panayiotou E, Panayi H, Orford M, Mean R, Lapathitis G, et al. Spatially distinct functions of PAX6 and NKX2.2 during gliogenesis in the ventral spinal cord. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;382:69-73 pubmed publisher..These data provide important insights into specific functions of PAX6 and NKX2.2 during glial cell specification that have so far remained largely unexplored. ..
- Kinameri E, Inoue T, Aruga J, Imayoshi I, Kageyama R, Shimogori T, et al. Prdm proto-oncogene transcription factor family expression and interaction with the Notch-Hes pathway in mouse neurogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3859 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that Prdm genes are regulated by the Notch-Hes pathway and represent strong candidates to control neural class specification and the sequential progression of mammalian CNS neurogenesis. ..
- ThÃ©lie A, Desiderio S, Hanotel J, Quigley I, Van Driessche B, Rodari A, et al. Prdm12 specifies V1 interneurons through cross-repressive interactions with Dbx1 and Nkx6 genes in Xenopus. Development. 2015;142:3416-28 pubmed publisher..dependent on retinoic acid and Pax6, and that it is restricted to p1 progenitors, due to the repressive action of Dbx1 and Nkx6-1/2 expressed in the adjacent p0 and p2 domains...
- Stenman J, Yu R, Evans R, Campbell K. Tlx and Pax6 co-operate genetically to establish the pallio-subpallial boundary in the embryonic mouse telencephalon. Development. 2003;130:1113-22 pubmed..This correlates well with the malformation of the lateral and basolateral amygdala in Tlx mutants, both of which have been suggested to derive from ventral portions of the pallium. ..
- Miles G, Hartley R, Todd A, Brownstone R. Spinal cholinergic interneurons regulate the excitability of motoneurons during locomotion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2448-53 pubmed..These results highlight a unique component of spinal motor networks that is critical in ensuring that sufficient output is generated by motoneurons to drive motor behavior. ..
- Kottick A, Del Negro C. Synaptic Depression Influences Inspiratory-Expiratory Phase Transition in Dbx1 Interneurons of the preBÃ¶tzinger Complex in Neonatal Mice. J Neurosci. 2015;35:11606-11 pubmed publisher..generates the rhythm underlying inspiratory breathing movements and its core interneurons are derived from Dbx1-expressing precursors...
- Dixit R, Wilkinson G, Cancino G, Shaker T, Adnani L, Li S, et al. Neurog1 and Neurog2 control two waves of neuronal differentiation in the piriform cortex. J Neurosci. 2014;34:539-53 pubmed publisher..Neurog1 and Neurog2 thus have unique and redundant functions in the piriform cortex, controlling the timing of differentiation of early-born CR/lot cells and specifying the identities of later-born layer II/III neurons. ..
- Sokolowski K, Tran T, Esumi S, Kamal Y, Oboti L, Lischinsky J, et al. Molecular and behavioral profiling of Dbx1-derived neurons in the arcuate, lateral and ventromedial hypothalamic nuclei. Neural Dev. 2016;11:12 pubmed publisher..Here, focusing on the embryonically expressed homeodomain-containing gene Developing Brain Homeobox 1 (Dbx1), we explored the relationship between embryonic lineage, post-natal neuronal identity and lineage-specific ..
- Mangale V, Hirokawa K, Satyaki P, Gokulchandran N, Chikbire S, Subramanian L, et al. Lhx2 selector activity specifies cortical identity and suppresses hippocampal organizer fate. Science. 2008;319:304-9 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing functional evidence for Lhx2 selector activity, these findings show that the cortical hem is a hippocampal organizer. ..
- Carney R, Cocas L, Hirata T, Mansfield K, Corbin J. Differential regulation of telencephalic pallial-subpallial boundary patterning by Pax6 and Gsh2. Cereb Cortex. 2009;19:745-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to their well-characterized cross-repressive roles in dorsal/ventral patterning our analyses reveal important novel functions of Gsh2 and Pax6 in the regulation of PSB progenitor pool specification and patterning. ..
- Yun K, Mantani A, Garel S, Rubenstein J, Israel M. Id4 regulates neural progenitor proliferation and differentiation in vivo. Development. 2004;131:5441-8 pubmed..These observations, together with evidence for the premature differentiation of early cortical stem cells, indicate that Id4 has a unique and complex function in regulating neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Vallstedt A, Muhr J, Pattyn A, Pierani A, Mendelsohn M, Sander M, et al. Different levels of repressor activity assign redundant and specific roles to Nkx6 genes in motor neuron and interneuron specification. Neuron. 2001;31:743-55 pubmed
- Waclaw R, Ehrman L, Pierani A, Campbell K. Developmental origin of the neuronal subtypes that comprise the amygdalar fear circuit in the mouse. J Neurosci. 2010;30:6944-53 pubmed publisher..Additional support for a dLGE origin of the ITCs was obtained in conditional mutants of the dLGE gene Sp8. Thus, our findings indicate diverse origins for the neuronal components that comprise the amygdalar fear circuit. ..
- Chiara F, Badaloni A, Croci L, Yeh M, Cariboni A, Hoerder Suabedissen A, et al. Early B-cell factors 2 and 3 (EBF2/3) regulate early migration of Cajal-Retzius cells from the cortical hem. Dev Biol. 2012;365:277-89 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence that Ebfs directly regulate CR cell development. ..
- Vue T, Aaker J, Taniguchi A, Kazemzadeh C, Skidmore J, Martin D, et al. Characterization of progenitor domains in the developing mouse thalamus. J Comp Neurol. 2007;505:73-91 pubmed..To determine if pTH-C is composed of subdomains, we characterized expression of the homeodomain protein Dbx1 and the bHLH protein Olig2...
- Gaber Z, Butler S, Novitch B. PLZF regulates fibroblast growth factor responsiveness and maintenance of neural progenitors. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001676 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal a novel transcriptional strategy for spatially tuning the responsiveness of distinct neural progenitor groups to broadly distributed mitogenic signals in the embryonic environment. ..
- Ledonne F, Orduz D, Mercier J, Vigier L, Grove E, Tissir F, et al. Targeted Inactivation of Bax Reveals a Subtype-Specific Mechanism of Cajal-Retzius Neuron Death in the Postnatal Cerebral Cortex. Cell Rep. 2016;17:3133-3141 pubmed publisher..These results underlie the existence of an exquisitely refined control of developmental cell death and provide a model to test the effect of maintaining immature circuits in the adult neocortex. ..
- Vyas A, Saha B, Lai E, Tole S. Paleocortex is specified in mice in which dorsal telencephalic patterning is severely disrupted. J Comp Neurol. 2003;466:545-53 pubmed..Furthermore, our in vitro data reveal that, if mechanisms outside the lateral telencephalon are involved in the specification of the paleocortex, they must act extremely early, prior to E10.5. ..
- Anderson T, Garcia A, Baertsch N, Pollak J, Bloom J, Wei A, et al. A novel excitatory network for the control of breathing. Nature. 2016;536:76-80 pubmed
- Yackle K, Schwarz L, Kam K, Sorokin J, Huguenard J, Feldman J, et al. Breathing control center neurons that promote arousal in mice. Science. 2017;355:1411-1415 pubmed publisher..Conditional, bilateral genetic ablation of the ~175 Cdh9/Dbx1 double-positive preBÃ¶tC neurons in adult mice left breathing intact but increased calm behaviors and ..
- Shetty A, Godbole G, Maheshwari U, Padmanabhan H, Chaudhary R, Muralidharan B, et al. Lhx2 regulates a cortex-specific mechanism for barrel formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E4913-21 pubmed publisher..These genes may mediate Lhx2 function in the formation of specialized neurocircuitry necessary for neocortical function. ..
- Zagoraiou L, Akay T, Martin J, Brownstone R, Jessell T, Miles G. A cluster of cholinergic premotor interneurons modulates mouse locomotor activity. Neuron. 2009;64:645-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, V0(C) interneurons represent a defined class of spinal cholinergic interneurons with an intrinsic neuromodulatory role in the control of locomotor behavior. ..
- Gelman D, Griveau A, Dehorter N, Teissier A, Varela C, Pla R, et al. A wide diversity of cortical GABAergic interneurons derives from the embryonic preoptic area. J Neurosci. 2011;31:16570-80 pubmed publisher..Using genetic fate mapping and in utero transplantation experiments, we demonstrate that Dbx1-expressing progenitor cells in the POA give rise to a small but highly diverse cohort of cortical interneurons, ..
- Craven S, Lim K, Ye W, Engel J, de Sauvage F, Rosenthal A. Gata2 specifies serotonergic neurons downstream of sonic hedgehog. Development. 2004;131:1165-73 pubmed..Our findings reveal that the identity of closely related 5-HT subclasses occurs through distinct responses of adjacent rostrocaudal progenitor domains to broad ventral inducers. ..
- Yoder J, Litman G. The zebrafish fth1, slc3a2, men1, pc, fgf3 and cycd1 genes define two regions of conserved synteny between linkage group 7 and human chromosome 11q13. Gene. 2000;261:235-42 pubmed..five full-length zebrafish cDNAs, fth1, slc3a2, prkri, cd81, and pc, as well as one putative human gene, DBX were identified and their map positions ascertained...
- Grindley J, Hargett L, Hill R, Ross A, Hogan B. Disruption of PAX6 function in mice homozygous for the Pax6Sey-1Neu mutation produces abnormalities in the early development and regionalization of the diencephalon. Mech Dev. 1997;64:111-26 pubmed..Thus, PAX6 is essential for the normal development and regionalization of the diencephalon. ..
- Johnson K, Smith L, Johnson D, Rhodes J, Rinchik E, Thayer M, et al. Mapping of the ARIX homeodomain gene to mouse chromosome 7 and human chromosome 11q13. Genomics. 1996;33:527-31 pubmed..3-q13.4. These map locations extend and further define regions of conserved synteny between mouse and human genomes and identify a new candidate gene for inherited developmental disorders linked to human 11q13. ..
- Wong R, Wlodarczyk B, Min K, Scott M, Kartiko S, Yu W, et al. Mouse Fkbp8 activity is required to inhibit cell death and establish dorso-ventral patterning in the posterior neural tube. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:587-601 pubmed..The mutant Fkbp8 allele is a new experimental model which will be useful in dissecting the pathogenesis of spinal NTDs, and enhance our understanding of the etiology of human NTDs...
- Tupal S, Huang W, Picardo M, Ling G, Del Negro C, Zoghbi H, et al. Atoh1-dependent rhombic lip neurons are required for temporal delay between independent respiratory oscillators in embryonic mice. elife. 2014;3:e02265 pubmed publisher..We tested the roles of Atoh1-, Phox2b-, and Dbx1-derived neurons (three groups that have known roles in respiration) in the generation and coordination of ..
- Barber M, Arai Y, Morishita Y, Vigier L, Causeret F, Borello U, et al. Migration Speed of Cajal-Retzius Cells Modulated by Vesicular Trafficking Controls the Size of Higher-Order Cortical Areas. Curr Biol. 2015;25:2466-78 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus identify novel roles for neuronal migration and VAMP3-dependent vesicular trafficking in cortical wiring. ..
- Lebel M, Mo R, Shimamura K, Hui C. Gli2 and Gli3 play distinct roles in the dorsoventral patterning of the mouse hindbrain. Dev Biol. 2007;302:345-55 pubmed..Taken together, these observations indicate that Gli2 and Gli3 perform rhombomere-specific function during DV patterning of the hindbrain. ..
- Rogers N, McAninch D, Thomas P. Dbx1 is a direct target of SOX3 in the spinal cord. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e95356 pubmed publisher..Nineteen genes with abnormal expression were identified, including the homeobox gene Dbx1. Analysis of Sox3 null embryos revealed that Dbx1 was significantly reduced in the neural tube and developing brain ..
- Trousse F, Poluch S, Pierani A, Dutriaux A, Bock H, Nagasawa T, et al. CXCR7 Receptor Controls the Maintenance of Subpial Positioning of Cajal-Retzius Cells. Cereb Cortex. 2015;25:3446-57 pubmed publisher..Finally, conditional Cxcr7 deletion in cells derived from Dbx1-expressing progenitors indicates an essential role of CXCR7 in controlling the positioning of a subpopulation of ..
- Ishibashi M, McMahon A. A sonic hedgehog-dependent signaling relay regulates growth of diencephalic and mesencephalic primordia in the early mouse embryo. Development. 2002;129:4807-19 pubmed
- Arbeille E, Reynaud F, Sanyas I, Bozon M, Kindbeiter K, Causeret F, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid-derived Semaphorin3B orients neuroepithelial cell divisions in the apicobasal axis. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6366 pubmed publisher..Thus, extrinsic control mediated by the Semaphorin signalling orients progenitor divisions in neurogenic zones. ..
- Koizumi H, Mosher B, Tariq M, Zhang R, Koshiya N, Smith J. Voltage-Dependent Rhythmogenic Property of Respiratory Pre-Bötzinger Complex Glutamatergic, Dbx1-Derived, and Somatostatin-Expressing Neuron Populations Revealed by Graded Optogenetic Inhibition. Eneuro. 2016;3: pubmed publisher..Additionally, developmental expression of the transcription factor Dbx1 or expression of the neuropeptide somatostatin (Sst), has been proposed as a marker for the rhythmogenic pre-BötC ..
- Causeret F, Sumia I, Pierani A. Kremen1 and Dickkopf1 control cell survival in a Wnt-independent manner. Cell Death Differ. 2016;23:323-32 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus reveal a new Wnt-independent function for Kremen1 and Dickkopf1 in the regulation of cell survival with potential implications in cancer therapies. ..
- Stuebner S, Faus Kessler T, Fischer T, Wurst W, Prakash N. Fzd3 and Fzd6 deficiency results in a severe midbrain morphogenesis defect. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:246-60 pubmed publisher..Fzd3 and Fzd6 thus control proper midbrain morphogenesis by a yet unknown mechanism in the mouse. ..
- Kanatani S, Honda T, Aramaki M, Hayashi K, Kubo K, Ishida M, et al. The COUP-TFII/Neuropilin-2 is a molecular switch steering diencephalon-derived GABAergic neurons in the developing mouse brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E4985-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results reveal that COUP-TFII/Nrp2 is a molecular switch determining the pathway and destination of migrating GABAergic neurons born in the POa. ..
- Lischinsky J, Sokolowski K, Li P, Esumi S, Kamal Y, Goodrich M, et al. Embryonic transcription factor expression in mice predicts medial amygdala neuronal identity and sex-specific responses to innate behavioral cues. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..we show that the POA is comprised of distinct progenitor pools complementarily marked by the transcription factors Dbx1 and Foxp2...
- Causeret F, Ensini M, Teissier A, Kessaris N, Richardson W, Lucas de Couville T, et al. Dbx1-expressing cells are necessary for the survival of the mammalian anterior neural and craniofacial structures. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19367 pubmed publisher..In this study, we identify five small subsets of progenitors expressing the transcription factor dbx1 in the cephalic region of developing mouse embryos at E8.5...
- Cocas L, Georgala P, Mangin J, Clegg J, Kessaris N, Haydar T, et al. Pax6 is required at the telencephalic pallial-subpallial boundary for the generation of neuronal diversity in the postnatal limbic system. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5313-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, in PSB progenitors, Pax6 plays an important role in the generation of multiple subtypes of neurons that contribute to the amygdala and olfactory bulb. ..
- Shum A, Tang L, Copp A, Roelink H. Lack of motor neuron differentiation is an intrinsic property of the mouse secondary neural tube. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3192-203 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results support that the lack of motor neuron differentiation is an intrinsic property of the mouse secondary neural tube. ..
- Szabó N, Zhao T, Zhou X, Alvarez Bolado G. The role of Sonic hedgehog of neural origin in thalamic differentiation in the mouse. J Neurosci. 2009;29:2453-66 pubmed publisher..In this way, the individual thalamic nuclei show differential dependence on Shh, Gbx2, or both for their differentiation. Additionally, Gbx2 is required for the survival of thalamic neurons. ..
- Wu X, Fleming A, Ricketts T, Pavel M, Virgin H, Menzies F, et al. Autophagy regulates Notch degradation and modulates stem cell development and neurogenesis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10533 pubmed publisher..This may have relevance for diverse disease conditions, like Alzheimer's Disease or Crohn's Disease, associated with altered autophagy. ..
- Murtha M, Leckman J, Ruddle F. Detection of homeobox genes in development and evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:10711-5 pubmed..Cloning of three Antennapedia-related sequences from cnidarians provides evidence of ancient roles for homeobox genes early in metazoan evolution. ..
- Inamata Y, Shirasaki R. Dbx1 triggers crucial molecular programs required for midline crossing by midbrain commissural axons. Development. 2014;141:1260-71 pubmed publisher..Here, we show in the mouse that the homeodomain transcription factor Dbx1 is expressed by a subset of progenitor cells that give rise to commissural neurons in the dorsal midbrain...
- Weiss K, Bollekens J, Ruddle F, Takashita K. Distal-less and other homeobox genes in the development of the dentition. J Exp Zool. 1994;270:273-84 pubmed..Members of several classes have been isolated, including the Msx genes, two Dlx genes, and the Dbx, MHox, Mox2A genes...
- Müller M, Jabs N, Lorke D, Fritzsch B, Sander M. Nkx6.1 controls migration and axon pathfinding of cranial branchio-motoneurons. Development. 2003;130:5815-26 pubmed..Taken together, our findings demonstrate a requirement for Nkx6.1 in the development of postmitotic motoneurons, and suggest a cell-autonomous function in the control of branchio-motoneuron migration. ..
- Chan J, Balasubramanian S, Witt R, Nazemi K, Choi Y, Pazyra Murphy M, et al. Proteoglycan interactions with Sonic Hedgehog specify mitogenic responses. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:409-17 pubmed publisher..Because activation of the Shh pathway is a feature of diverse human cancers, selective stimulation of proliferation by Shh-proteoglycan interactions may also figure prominently in neoplastic growth. ..
- Weatherbee S, Niswander L, Anderson K. A mouse model for Meckel syndrome reveals Mks1 is required for ciliogenesis and Hedgehog signaling. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:4565-75 pubmed publisher..Thus the disruption of Hh signaling can explain many, but not all, of the defects caused by loss of Mks1...
- Holz A, Kollmus H, Ryge J, Niederkofler V, Dias J, Ericson J, et al. The transcription factors Nkx2.2 and Nkx2.9 play a novel role in floor plate development and commissural axon guidance. Development. 2010;137:4249-60 pubmed publisher..As both factors affect floor plate development, control of commissural axon trajectories might be the underlying mechanism. ..
- Cabrera R, Finnell R, Zhu H, Shaw G, Wlodarczyk B. Transcriptional analyses of two mouse models of spina bifida. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2012;94:782-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that there are multiple pathways and gene networks perturbed in mouse embryos with shared phenotypes. ..
- Lu S, Wise T, Ruddle F. Mouse homeobox gene Dbx: sequence, gene structure and expression pattern during mid-gestation. Mech Dev. 1994;47:187-95 pubmed..We previously reported the isolation of a mouse homeobox gene, Dbx, from the forebrain...
- Varadarajan S, Kong J, Phan K, Kao T, Panaitof S, Cardin J, et al. Netrin1 Produced by Neural Progenitors, Not Floor Plate Cells, Is Required for Axon Guidance in the Spinal Cord. Neuron. 2017;94:790-799.e3 pubmed publisher..Thus, netrin1 does not act as a long-range secreted chemoattractant for commissural spinal axons but instead promotes ventrally directed axon outgrowth by haptotaxis, i.e., directed growth along an adhesive surface. ..
- Lu S, Shashikant C, Ruddle F. Separate cis-acting elements determine the expression of mouse Dbx gene in multiple spatial domains of the central nervous system. Mech Dev. 1996;58:193-202 pubmedb>Dbx, a divergent homeobox gene, is expressed in a regionally restricted pattern in the developing mouse central nervous system (CNS)...
- Fotaki V, Price D, Mason J. Wnt/?-catenin signaling is disrupted in the extra-toes (Gli3(Xt/Xt) ) mutant from early stages of forebrain development, concomitant with anterior neural plate patterning defects. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1640-57 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that Gli3 is required at the neural plate stage to regulate Wnt expression and Wnt/?-catenin signaling in the presumptive forebrain and confirm its previously proposed role in patterning the anterior neural plate. ..