Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ahsg
Alias: alpha-2-HS-glycoprotein, countertrypin, fetuin-A
- The serum protein alpha 2-Heremans-Schmid glycoprotein/fetuin-A is a systemically acting inhibitor of ectopic calcificationCora Schafer
Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research on Biochematerials, University Clinics, Aachen, Germany
J Clin Invest 112:357-66. 2003..Here we identify the serum protein alpha2-Heremans-Schmid glycoprotein (Ahsg, also known as fetuin-A) as an important inhibitor of ectopic calcification acting on the systemic level...
- Structural basis of calcification inhibition by alpha 2-HS glycoprotein/fetuin-A. Formation of colloidal calciprotein particlesAlexander Heiss
IZKF BIOMAT, University Clinics, RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:13333-41. 2003Genetic evidence from mutant mice suggests that alpha(2)-HS glycoprotein/fetuin-A (Ahsg) is a systemic inhibitor of precipitation of basic calcium phosphate preventing unwanted calcification...
- Fetuin-A (AHSG) prevents extraosseous calcification induced by uraemia and phosphate challenge in miceRalf Westenfeld
Department of Nephrology and Clinical Immunology, University Hospital Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, D 52057 Aachen, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1537-46. 2007..Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is associated with vascular and tissue calcification. The extent of vascular calcification has been identified as an independent risk factor of cardiovascular death in patients on haemodialysis...
- Fetuin-A regulation of calcified matrix metabolismWilli Jahnen-Dechent
RWTH Aachen University Clinics, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Circ Res 108:1494-509. 2011..Fetuin-A deficiency is associated with soft tissue calcification in mice and humans...
- alpha 2-HS glycoprotein/fetuin, a transforming growth factor-beta/bone morphogenetic protein antagonist, regulates postnatal bone growth and remodelingMelanie Szweras
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:19991-7. 2002..Therefore, we examined bone growth and remodeling phenotypes in ASHG-deficient mice. The skeletal structure of Ahsg(-/-) mice appeared normal at birth, but abnormalities were observed in adult Ahsg(-/-) mice...
- Cloning and targeted deletion of the mouse fetuin geneW Jahnen-Dechent
Institut für Physiologische Chemie und Pathobiochemie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Duesbergweg 6, D 55099 Mainz, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 272:31496-503. 1997..These results corroborate a role for fetuin in serum calcium homeostasis. The fact that generalized ectopic calcification did not occur in fetuin-deficient mice proves that additional inhibitors of phase separation exist in serum...
- The serum protein alpha2-HS glycoprotein/fetuin inhibits apatite formation in vitro and in mineralizing calvaria cells. A possible role in mineralization and calcium homeostasisT Schinke
Institut für Physiologische Chemie und Pathobiochemie, Universitat Mainz, D 55099 Mainz, Duesbergweg 6, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 271:20789-96. 1996..Fetuins account for roughly half of the capacity of serum to inhibit salt precipitation. We propose that fetuins inhibit phase separation in serum and modulate apatite formation during mineralization...
- Fetuin/alpha2-HS glycoprotein is a transforming growth factor-beta type II receptor mimic and cytokine antagonistM Demetriou
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
J Biol Chem 271:12755-61. 1996..In summary, these experiments define the TRH1 peptide loop as a cytokine-binding domain in both TbetaRII and fetuin and suggest that fetuin is a natural antagonist of TGF-beta and BMP activities...
- Adipocyte fetuin-A contributes to macrophage migration into adipose tissue and polarization of macrophagesPriyajit Chatterjee
From the Department of Zoology, School of Life Science, Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan 731235
J Biol Chem 288:28324-30. 2013..Taken together, lipid-induced FetA from adipocytes is an efficient chemokine for macrophage migration and polarization. These findings open a new dimension for understanding obesity-induced inflammation. ..
- FGF23-regulated production of Fetuin-A (AHSG) in osteocytesD Mattinzoli
Renal Research Laboratory, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico and Fondazione D Amico per la Ricerca sulle Malattie Renali, Via Pace 9, 20122 Milano, Italy Electronic address
Bone 83:35-47. 2016b>AHSG, a serum glycoprotein with recognized anti-calcification activity, has also been suggested to modulate both bone formation and resorption...
- Urine Fetuin-A is a biomarker of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease progressionNathalie Piazzon
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, Bâtiment SV ISREC, Station 19, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Transl Med 13:103. 2015..While promising treatment options are in advanced clinical development, early diagnosis and follow-up remain a major challenge. We therefore evaluated the diagnostic value of Fetuin-A as a new biomarker of ADPKD in human urine...
- Fetuin-A acts as an endogenous ligand of TLR4 to promote lipid-induced insulin resistanceDurba Pal
Cellular and Molecular Endocrinology Laboratory, Centre for Advanced Studies in Zoology, School of Life Science, Visva Bharati A Central University, Santiniketan, West Bengal, India
Nat Med 18:1279-85. 2012..FetA (officially known as Ahsg) knockdown in mice with insulin resistance caused by a high-fat diet (HFD) resulted in downregulation of Tlr4-..
- The role of fetuin-A in physiological and pathological mineralizationLaura Brylka
Helmholtz Institute for Biomedical Engineering, BioInterface Group, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany
Calcif Tissue Int 93:355-64. 2013..Fetuin-A-deficient (Ahsg(-/-)) mice show impaired growth of their long bones and premature growth plate closure...
- Chronic kidney disease results in deficiency of ABCC6, the novel inhibitor of vascular calcificationWei Ling Lau
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Calif, USA
Am J Nephrol 40:51-5. 2014..Given the prevalence of arterial medial calcification in CKD, the present study was undertaken to test the hypothesis that CKD may lead to acquired ABCC6 deficiency...
- Cerebrospinal fluid fetuin-A is a biomarker of active multiple sclerosisViolaine K Harris
Multiple Sclerosis Research Center of New York, USA
Mult Scler 19:1462-72. 2013..Fetuin-A was recently identified as a potential biomarker in MS cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Fetuin-A has diverse functions, including a role in immune pathways...
- Accelerated growth plate mineralization and foreshortened proximal limb bones in fetuin-A knockout miceJong Seto
Department of Biomaterials, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Potsdam, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e47338. 2012The plasma protein fetuin-A/alpha2-HS-glycoprotein (genetic symbol Ahsg) is a systemic inhibitor of extraskeletal mineralization, which is best underscored by the excessive mineral deposition found in various tissues of fetuin-A deficient ..
- Clearance of fetuin-A--containing calciprotein particles is mediated by scavenger receptor-AMarietta Herrmann
Helmholtz Institute for Biomedical Engineering, BioInterface Group, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Circ Res 111:575-84. 2012..Biochemical studies showed that fetuin-A is essential for the formation of protein-mineral complexes, called calciprotein particles (CPPs). CPPs must be cleared from circulation to prevent local deposition and pathological calcification...
- Genome-wide location analysis reveals distinct transcriptional circuitry by paralogous regulators Foxa1 and Foxa2Irina M Bochkis
Department of Genetics and Institute for Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS Genet 8:e1002770. 2012..Thus, Foxa1 and Foxa2, while redundant during development, have evolved divergent roles in the adult liver, ensuring the maintenance of both genes during evolution...
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress induces the expression of fetuin-A to develop insulin resistanceHorng Yih Ou
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, 138, Sheng Li Road, Tainan 70403, Taiwan
Endocrinology 153:2974-84. 2012..Moreover, ER stress induced by high glucose and palmitate increased the expression of fetuin-A and further contributed to the development of insulin resistance...
- A hepatic protein, fetuin-A, occupies a protective role in lethal systemic inflammationWei Li
The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16945. 2011....
- Myocardial stiffness, cardiac remodeling, and diastolic dysfunction in calcification-prone fetuin-A-deficient miceMarc W Merx
Medical Clinic I, RWTH University Hospital, Aachen, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:3357-64. 2005....
- Lack of fetuin-A (alpha2-HS-glycoprotein) reduces mammary tumor incidence and prolongs tumor latency via the transforming growth factor-beta signaling pathway in a mouse model of breast cancerBobby Guillory
Department of Biochemistry and Cancer Biology, Meharry Medical College, 1005 D B Todd Blvd, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Am J Pathol 177:2635-44. 2010..The data indicate that Fet is a powerful modulator of breast tumorigenesis in this model system and has the potential to modulate breast cancer progression in humans...
- Fetuin-A protects against atherosclerotic calcification in CKDRalf Westenfeld
Department of Nephrology, Rheinisch Westfälische Technische Hochschule RWTH Aachen University Hospital, Aachen, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:1264-74. 2009..In conclusion, fetuin-A inhibits pathologic calcification in both the soft tissue and vasculature, even in the setting of atherosclerosis...
- Role of immunogenic fetuin A on L5178Y-R lymphoma tumorigenesisDiana Caballero-Hernández
Departamento de Microbiologia e Inmunologia, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Cancer Invest 27:257-63. 2009....
- [The expression of fetuin-A and its pathological significance in fulminant hepatic failure in mice]Pan Zhang
Department of Infectious Diseases, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi 16:440-4. 2008..To explore the dynamic changes of fetuin-A expression and the influences of the changes on liver damage, hepatocyte apoptosis and inflammation in a mouse fulminant hepatic failure (FHF) model...
- Tissue distribution and activity testing suggest a similar but not identical function of fetuin-B and fetuin-ABernd Denecke
Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research on Biomaterials IZKF BIOMAT, University Hospital, Pauwelsstrasse 30, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
Biochem J 376:135-45. 2003..Therefore fetuin-B may have a function that is partly overlapping, if not identical, with the function of fetuin-A...
- Developmentally regulated transcription of the four liver-specific genes for inter-alpha-inhibitor family in mouseJ P Salier
INSERM U 78, Boisguillaume, France
Biochem J 296:85-91. 1993....
- Isolation and characterization of mouse countertrypin, a new trypsin inhibitor belonging to the mammalian fetuin familyK Yamamoto
Department of Biochemistry, Kinki University School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Biol Chem 268:17750-3. 1993A novel trypsin inhibitor, tentatively named countertrypin, was isolated from mouse plasma in an apparently homogeneous state...
- Involvement of transcription factor encoded by the mi locus in the expression of c-kit receptor tyrosine kinase in cultured mast cells of miceT Tsujimura
Department of Pathology, Medical School, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
Blood 88:1225-33. 1996..Thus, the involvement of (+)-MITF in the c-kit transactivation appeared to be specific to the mast cell lineage...
- Fetuin-B, a second member of the fetuin family in mammalsE Olivier
INSERM Unit 519 and Institut Fédératif de Recherches Multidisciplinaires sur les Peptides, Faculte de Medecine Pharmacie, 22 Bvd Gambetta, 76183 Rouen Cedex, France
Biochem J 350:589-97. 2000..However, like its fetuin-A counterpart, the fetuin-B mRNA level is down-regulated during the acute phase of experimentally induced inflammation in rat...
- Genetic mapping and functional studies of a natural inhibitor of the insulin receptor tyrosine kinase: the mouse ortholog of human alpha2-HS glycoproteinV J Cintron
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 1:249-63. 2001..In this study we report the identification, cloning, and characterization of the mouse Ahsg gene and its function as an IR-TK inhibitor...
- The identification of intestinal scavenger receptor class B, type I (SR-BI) by expression cloning and its role in cholesterol absorptionScott W Altmann
Department of CNS and Cardiovascular Research, Schering Plough Research Institute, Kenilworth, NJ 07033 0539, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1580:77-93. 2002..In contrast studies with SR-B1 knockout mice suggest that SR-B1 is not essential for intestinal cholesterol absorption or the activity of ezetimibe...
- Improved insulin sensitivity and resistance to weight gain in mice null for the Ahsg geneSuresh T Mathews
Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Diabetes 51:2450-8. 2002..The fetuin gene (AHSG) is located on human chromosome 3q27, recently identified as a susceptibility locus for type 2 diabetes and the ..
- Multi-stage analysis of differential gene expression in BALB/C mouse liver development by high-density microarraysAndrea Jochheim
Hannover Medical School, Centre of Internal Medicine, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Carl Neubergstr 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Differentiation 71:62-72. 2003..Furthermore, the microarray approach led to the identification of a number of genes, which have not yet been associated with liver organogenesis and maturation...
- Fetuin-null mice are protected against obesity and insulin resistance associated with agingSuresh T Mathews
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 350:437-43. 2006alpha2-HS glycoprotein (AHSG), also known as fetuin-A, inhibits insulin receptor autophosphorylation and tyrosine kinase activity in vitro and in vivo...
- Alpha 2-HS glycoprotein (fetuin-A) modulates murine skin tumorigenesisMaria L Leite-Browning
Department of Cancer Biology, Meharry Medical College, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Int J Oncol 25:319-24. 2004..Our results suggest that fetuin-A contributes to early stages of skin tumorigenesis...
- alpha2HS-glycoprotein, an antagonist of transforming growth factor beta in vivo, inhibits intestinal tumor progressionCarol J Swallow
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Res 64:6402-9. 2004..Here, we show that the serum glycoprotein alpha2-HS-glycoprotein (AHSG) blocks TGF-beta1 binding to cell surface receptors, suppresses TGF-beta signal transduction, and inhibits TGF-beta-..
- The serum glycoprotein fetuin-A promotes Lewis lung carcinoma tumorigenesis via adhesive-dependent and adhesive-independent mechanismsMadappa N Kundranda
Department of Biochemistry, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Cancer Res 65:499-506. 2005..These studies support the role of fetuin-A as a major growth promoter in serum that can influence tumor establishment and growth...
- Regulation of BMP-induced ectopic bone formation by AhsgB Rittenberg
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Res 23:653-62. 2005alpha2-HS-glycoprotein (Ahsg), also known as fetuin is a serum and bone resident glycoprotein, which binds to TGF-beta superfamily members including bone morphogenetic proteins (BMP) and inhibits dexamethasone-induced osteogenesis in bone ..
- Fetuin-A, a hepatocyte-specific protein that binds Plasmodium berghei thrombospondin-related adhesive protein: a potential role in infectivityDeepa Jethwaney
Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, 665 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115 6018, USA
Infect Immun 73:5883-91. 2005..These data demonstrate that the extracellular region of TRAP interacts with fetuin-A on hepatocyte membranes and that this interaction enhances the parasite's ability to invade hepatocytes...
- Human alpha 2-HS-glycoprotein/bovine fetuin homologue in mice: identification and developmental regulation of the geneF Yang
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284
Biochim Biophys Acta 1130:149-56. 1992Human alpha 2-HS-glycoprotein (AHSG) is a plasma protein synthesized in liver and selectively concentrated in bone matrix. It has been reported to be involved in bone formation and resorption as well as immune responses...
- CCAAT enhancer binding protein beta and hepatocyte nuclear factor 3beta are necessary and sufficient to mediate dexamethasone-induced up-regulation of alpha2HS-glycoprotein/fetuin-A gene expressionMichael Wöltje
Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research IZKF BIOMAT, RWTH Aachen University Hospital, Pauwelsstr 30, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Mol Endocrinol 36:261-77. 2006Alpha2HS-glycoprotein/fetuin-A (Ahsg) is a serum protein preventing soft tissue calcification. In trauma and inflammation, Ahsg is down-regulated and therefore considered a negative acute phase protein...