Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: UBA1
Description: ubiquitin like modifier activating enzyme 1
Alias: A1S9, A1S9T, A1ST, AMCX1, CFAP124, GXP1, POC20, SMAX2, UBA1A, UBE1, UBE1X, ubiquitin-like modifier-activating enzyme 1, A1S9T and BN75 temperature sensitivity complementing, POC20 centriolar protein homolog, UBA1, ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 homolog A, testicular secretory protein Li 63
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- A non-proteolytic role for ubiquitin in Tat-mediated transactivation of the HIV-1 promoterVanessa Brès
Laboratoire de Virologie Moleculaire, Institut de Genetique Humaine, CNRS UPR1142, Montpellier, France
Nat Cell Biol 5:754-61. 2003..Fusion of ubiquitin to Tat bypasses the requirement of Hdm2 for efficient transactivation, supporting the notion that ubiquitin has a non-proteolytic function in Tat-mediated transactivation...
- Crucial role of the C-terminus of PTEN in antagonizing NEDD4-1-mediated PTEN ubiquitination and degradationXinjiang Wang
Cell Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Biochem J 414:221-9. 2008....
- Ubiquitination-dependent proteolysis of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in human and murine tumor cells following inactivation with O6-benzylguanine or 1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosoureaK S Srivenugopal
Department of Experimental Pediatrics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Biochemistry 35:1328-34. 1996..These results provide conclusive evidence that the MGMT protein, following its inactivation, is degraded via the ubiquitin proteolytic pathway...
- A RING finger ubiquitin ligase is protected from autocatalyzed ubiquitination and degradation by binding to ubiquitin-specific protease USP7Mary Canning
Medical Research Council Virology Unit, Church Street, Glasgow G11 5JR, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:38160-8. 2004..This principle may extend to a number of cellular RING finger E3 ubiquitin ligase proteins that have analogous interactions with ubiquitin-specific cleavage enzymes...
- UBE1L2, a novel E1 enzyme specific for ubiquitinChristiane Pelzer
Division of Immunology, Department of Biology, University of Constance, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:23010-4. 2007b>UBE1 is known as the human ubiquitin-activating enzyme (E1), which activates ubiquitin in an ATP-dependent manner...
- Dual E1 activation systems for ubiquitin differentially regulate E2 enzyme chargingJianping Jin
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 447:1135-8. 2007..and thioesterification of the carboxy-terminal carboxylate of ubiquitin by the E1-activating enzyme Ube1 (Uba1 in yeast), followed by ubiquitin transfer to an E2-conjugating enzyme through a transthiolation reaction...
- The ubiquitin E1 enzyme Ube1 mediates NEDD8 activation under diverse stress conditionsOrsolya Leidecker
Centre de Recherche de Biochimie Macromoleculaire, Montpellier, France
Cell Cycle 11:1142-50. 2012..Here, we present the unexpected finding that under stress conditions, the ubiquitin E1 enzyme Ube1 mediates conjugation of the ubiquitin-like molecule NEDD8...
- Mechanistic studies on activation of ubiquitin and di-ubiquitin-like protein, FAT10, by ubiquitin-like modifier activating enzyme 6, Uba6James M Gavin
Discovery, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Biol Chem 287:15512-22. 2012Uba6 is a homolog of the ubiquitin-activating enzyme, Uba1, and activates two ubiquitin-like proteins (UBLs), ubiquitin and FAT10...
- FAT10 and NUB1L bind to the VWA domain of Rpn10 and Rpn1 to enable proteasome-mediated proteolysisNeha Rani
Division of Immunology, Department of Biology, University of Constance, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
Nat Commun 3:749. 2012..In conclusion, we identify the VWA domain of hRpn10 as a receptor for ubiquitin-like proteins within the 26S proteasome and elucidate how FAT10 mediates efficient proteolysis by the proteasome...
- Ubiquitin-activating enzyme UBA1 is required for cellular response to DNA damagePavel Moudry
Department of Genome Integrity, Institute of Molecular Genetics of the ASCR, v v i, Prague, Czech Republic
Cell Cycle 11:1573-82. 2012..Here, we identify ubiquitin-activating enzyme UBA1 as the E1 enzyme required for responses to IR and replication stress in human cells...
- The proteomic analysis of endogenous FAT10 substrates identifies p62/SQSTM1 as a substrate of FAT10ylationAnnette Aichem
Biotechnology Institute Thurgau at the University of Constance, CH 8280 Kreuzlingen, Switzerland
J Cell Sci 125:4576-85. 2012..enzyme USE1 which auto-FAT10ylates itself in cis, the tumor suppressor p53 and the ubiquitin-activating enzyme UBE1 (UBA1)...
- Mechanism of extracellular ubiquitination in the mammalian epididymisKathleen M Baska
Division of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri, USA
J Cell Physiol 215:684-96. 2008..This study provides evidence that the activity of the ubiquitin system is not limited to the intracellular environment, contributing to a greater understanding of the sperm maturation process during epididymal passage...
- Differential expression of genes encoding constitutive and inducible 20S proteasomal core subunits in the testis and epididymis of theophylline- or 1,3-dinitrobenzene-exposed ratsMark W Tengowski
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Biol Reprod 76:149-63. 2007..beta2), and Psmb5 (beta5); the inducible 20S core subunits Psmb9 (LMP2), Psmb8 (LMP7), and Psmb10 (LMP10); and Ube1 (ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1), Ube2d3 (ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme E2), and Uchl1 (ubiquitin C-terminal ..
- Targeting E3 ubiquitin ligases for cancer therapyYi Sun
Division of Cancer Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0936, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 2:623-9. 2003..Emerging technologies, such as siRNA, will provide a better validation of many E3s. It is anticipated that E3 ubiquitin ligases will represent an important new target platform for future mechanism-driven drug discovery...
- Transcriptional analysis of the candidate spermatogenesis gene Ube1y and of the closely related Ube1x shows that they are coexpressed in spermatogonia and spermatids but are repressed in pachytene spermatocytesT Odorisio
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics, National Institute for Medical Research, London, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 180:336-43. 1996..Ube1y, together with a ubiquitously expressed homologue on the X chromosome (Ube1x), encodes ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1, an enzyme essential for eukaryotic cell proliferation...
- The E1 ubiquitin-activating enzyme Uba1 in Drosophila controls apoptosis autonomously and tissue growth non-autonomouslyTom V Lee
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 135:43-52. 2008..Here, we report the characterization of Uba1, the only E1 in Drosophila...
- Characterization of rat100, a 300-kilodalton ubiquitin-protein ligase induced in germ cells of the rat testis and similar to the Drosophila hyperplastic discs geneRose Oughtred
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B2
Endocrinology 143:3740-7. 2002..This homology, together with our results, suggests that induction of this E3 results in ubiquitination of specific substrates, some of which are important in male germ cell development...
- Maintenance of X inactivation of the Rps4, Zfx, and Ube1 genes in a mouse in vitro systemS L Bressler
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Somat Cell Mol Genet 19:29-37. 1993Several genes, including RPS4X (ribosomal protein subunit 4), ZFX (zinc finger on the X chromosome), and UBE1 (ubiquitin-activating enzyme), have been shown to be expressed from the inactive X chromosome of cultured human cells...
- Modelling and molecular dynamics of the interaction between the E3 ubiquitin ligase Itch and the E2 UbcH7Domenico Raimondo
Department of Biochemical Sciences Rossi Fanelli, University of Rome La Sapienza, P le Aldo Moro 5, Rome, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 76:1620-7. 2008..The identification of the amino acid residues responsible for the HECT-E2 interaction, and for the dynamical properties of the ubiquitin transfer process, may be of relevant interest for pharmacological and therapeutical purposes...
- Ubiquitin enzymes, ubiquitin and proteasome activity in blood mononuclear cells of MCI, Alzheimer and Parkinson patientsC Ullrich
Department of General and Social Psychiatry, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
Curr Alzheimer Res 7:549-55. 2010..These results suggest that different mechanisms are involved in regulating the ubiquitin-proteasomal system in different neurodegenerative diseases...
- Orthopoxviruses require a functional ubiquitin-proteasome system for productive replicationAlastair Teale
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
J Virol 83:2099-108. 2009..Together, our data suggests that a functional ubiquitin-proteasome system is required during poxvirus infection...
- Immunofluorescent localization of the ubiquitin-activating enzyme, E1, to the nucleus and cytoskeletonJ S Trausch
Edward Mallinckrodt Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri
Am J Physiol 264:C93-102. 1993..The variable distribution of E1 among cell lines, including its apparent cytoskeletal association, suggests pleiotropic functions of this enzyme and the ubiquitin-conjugating system...
- The comparative proteomics of ubiquitination in mouseColin A M Semple
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Crewe Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK
Genome Res 13:1389-94. 2003....
- Modified cell cycle status in a mouse model of altered neuronal vulnerability (slow Wallerian degeneration; Wlds)Thomas M Wishart
Centre for Integrative Physiology, University of Edinburgh Medical School, Edinburgh, UK
Genome Biol 9:R101. 2008..gene 1 (Pttg1); changes in the location/activity of the ubiquitin-proteasome machinery via binding to valosin-containing protein (VCP/p97); and modified synaptic expression of proteins such as ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 (Ube1).
- [Changes of gene expression profile in human myeloma cell line induced by thalidomide]Huai Yu Wang
Department of Hematology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Xi an Jiaotong Univarsity Medical College, Xi an 710061, Shaanxi Province, China
Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 18:396-402. 2010....
- Comparative transcript profiles of cell cycle-related genes in mouse primordial germ cells, embryonic stem cells and embryonic germ cellsEleonora Sorrentino
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Gene Expr Patterns 7:714-21. 2007..Among these, the transcript levels of Ube1x and Atm were significantly higher in PGCs than in EG and ES cells while that of Ube3a was higher in these latter...
- Identification and characterization of a spermatogenesis-related gene Ube1 in rat testisYing Du
Peking Union Medical College Postgraduate School, Beijing 100730, China
Sheng Li Xue Bao 60:382-90. 2008..mouse ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1, Chr Y 1 (Ube1y1) and an 82% identity to human ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 (UBE1)...
- Estimating the intensity of male-driven evolution in rodents by using X-linked and Y-linked Ube 1 genes and pseudogenesB H Chang
Center for Demographic and Population Genetics, University of Texas, Houston 77225
J Mol Evol 40:70-7. 1995..Our estimate of the divergence time between Ube 1x and Ube 1y supports the view that the two genes separated before the eutherian radiation...
- Isolation and molecular characterization of mRNA transport mutants in Schizosaccharomyces pombeA K Azad
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 8:825-41. 1997..This is the first report suggesting that the ubiquitin system plays a role in mRNA export...
- Molecular dynamics simulations to investigate the effects of zinc ions on the structural stability of the c-Cbl RING domainHsuan Liang Liu
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology and Graduate Institute of Biotechnology, National Taipei University of Technology, 1 Section 3 ZhongXiao East Road, Taipei, Taiwan 10608
Biotechnol Prog 23:1231-8. 2007..Our results further demonstrate that zinc ion binding site 2 is more structurally stable than site 1...
- Synthesis of bisphosphonate derivatives of ATP by T4 DNA ligase, ubiquitin activating enzyme (E1) and other ligasesMaría A Günther Sillero
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas Alberto Sols UAM CSIC, Facultad de Medicina, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Biochem Pharmacol 75:1959-65. 2008..In our view this report widens our knowledge of the enzymes able to metabolize bisphosphonates, a therapeutic tool widely used in the treatment of osteoporosis...
- UBE1DC1, an ubiquitin-activating enzyme, activates two different ubiquitin-like proteinsMei Zheng
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, People s Republic of China
J Cell Biochem 104:2324-34. 2008..It presumed that UBE1DC1 greatly activated SUMO2 in the nucleus or transferred activated-SUMO2 to nucleus after it conjugated SUMO2 in the cytoplasm...
- A rabbit reticulocyte ubiquitin carrier protein that supports ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis (E214k) is homologous to the yeast DNA repair gene RAD6S S Wing
Molecular Biology Sector, Biotechnology Research Institute, National Research Council of Canada, Montreal, Quebec
J Biol Chem 267:6495-501. 1992....
- The HPV-16 E6 and E6-AP complex functions as a ubiquitin-protein ligase in the ubiquitination of p53M Scheffner
Laboratory of Tumor Virus Biology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Cell 75:495-505. 1993..The ubiquitination of p53 requires the E1 enzyme and a novel E2 in mammalian cells, while E3 activity is conferred by the E6-E6-AP complex. Furthermore, E6-AP appears to have ubiquitin-protein ligase activity in the absence of E6...
- The ubiquitin-activating enzyme (E1) gene family in Arabidopsis thalianaP M Hatfield
Department of Horticulture, University of Wisconsin Madison 53706, USA
Plant J 11:213-26. 1997..They also show that the AtUBA1 and 2 genes are not differentially expressed nor do they encode E1s with dramatically distinct enzymatic properties...
- A novel ubiquitination factor, E4, is involved in multiubiquitin chain assemblyM Koegl
Zentrum fur Molekulare Biologie, Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Cell 96:635-44. 1999..In yeast, E4 activity is linked to cell survival under stress conditions, indicating that eukaryotes utilize E4-dependent proteolysis pathways for multiple cellular functions...
- Mdm2 is a RING finger-dependent ubiquitin protein ligase for itself and p53S Fang
Laboratory of Immune Cell Biology, Division of Basic Sciences, NCI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1152, USA
J Biol Chem 275:8945-51. 2000..However, this RING was ineffective in ubiquitination and proteasomal targeting of p53, suggesting that there may be specificity at the level of the RING in the recognition of heterologous substrates...
- Ubiquitylation in plants: a post-genomic look at a post-translational modificationA Bachmair
Institute of Botany, University of Vienna, Rennweg 14, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Trends Plant Sci 6:463-70. 2001..The large number of components with known function in ubiquitylation indicates that this process plays a complex role in cellular physiology...
- Allosteric activation of E2-RING finger-mediated ubiquitylation by a structurally defined specific E2-binding region of gp78Ranabir Das
Structural Biophysics Laboratory, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
Mol Cell 34:674-85. 2009..These findings uncover a mechanism whereby allosteric effects on an E2 enhance E2-RING finger interactions and, consequently, ubiquitylation...
- Aggresome-related biogenesis of Lewy bodiesKevin St P McNaught
Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Annenberg 14 73, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Eur J Neurosci 16:2136-48. 2002..This phenomenon is consistent with growing evidence that altered protein handling underlies the etiopathogenesis of PD and related disorders...
- cDNA cloning of a novel human ubiquitin carrier protein. An antigenic domain specifically recognized by endemic pemphigus foliaceus autoantibodies is encoded in a secondary reading frame of this human epidermal transcriptZ Liu
Department of Dermatology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
J Biol Chem 267:15829-35. 1992..The relevance of the cloned EPF epitope in the pathogenesis of this autoimmune disorder remains to be determined...
- Correcting temperature-sensitive protein folding defectsC R Brown
Department of Medicine, The University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Clin Invest 99:1432-44. 1997..We suggest that this type of approach may prove to be useful for correcting certain protein folding abnormalities associated with human diseases...
- Myocytes die by multiple mechanisms in failing human heartsSawa Kostin
Max Planck Institute, Department of Experimental Cardiology, Benekestr 2D 61231 Bad Nauheim, Germany
Circ Res 92:715-24. 2003..Together, these different types of cell death play a significant role for myocyte disappearance and the development of contractile dysfunction in failing hearts...
- Ubiquitylation of proliferating cell nuclear antigen and recruitment of human DNA polymerase etaNana Nikolaishvili-Feinberg
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center and Center for Environmental Health and Susceptibility, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Biochemistry 47:4141-50. 2008..These results demonstrate that PCNA ubiquitylation at K164 of PCNA is not required in vitro for pol eta to gain access to replication complexes at forks stalled by T (wedge)T and to catalyze TLS across this dimer...
- An evaluation of the inactive mouse X chromosome in somatic cell hybridsE C Salido
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Somat Cell Mol Genet 19:65-71. 1993The expression of mouse Zfx, Rps4, Ube1x, and Xist was evaluated in hamster-mouse somatic cell hybrids containing either an active or an inactive mouse X chromosome using polymerase chain reaction of reverse transcribed RNA (RT-PCR)...
- F-box proteins and protein degradation: an emerging theme in cellular regulationJ C del Pozo
Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA
Plant Mol Biol 44:123-8. 2000..In plants, the SCF has so far been implicated in floral development, circadian clock, and response to the plant growth regulators auxin and jasmonic acid...
- Ubiquitin-activating enzyme is necessary for 17β-estradiol-induced breast cancer cell proliferation and migrationValeria Pesiri
Department of Science, Section Biomedical Sciences and Technology, University Roma Tre, Rome, Italy
IUBMB Life 66:578-85. 2014..These discoveries indicate a new molecular circuitry that can be further explored to define new opportunities for BC treatment...
- Immunoelectron microscopic localization of the ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 in HepG2 cellsA L Schwartz
Edward Mallinckrodt Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89:5542-6. 1992..The lumen of rough endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi complex, endosomes, and lysosomes were negative. The specific localization of E1 to distinct subcellular organelles suggests that E1 may play multiple physiological roles within the cell...
- A mouse Y chromosome pseudogene is related to human ubiquitin activating enzyme E1P K Tucker
Museum of Zoology, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Mamm Genome 3:28-35. 1992..These data are discussed with respect to theory on the evolution of the mammalian Y Chr, and in particular, to the prediction that functional genes on the Y Chr have a male-specific function...
- Degradation of nuclear oncoproteins by the ubiquitin system in vitroA Ciechanover
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:139-43. 1991..Furthermore, the relative sensitivity to degradation of various E1A mutants in vivo is also maintained in the cell-free system, suggesting that the ubiquitin pathway may play a role in the cellular degradation of these proteins as well...
- Functional diversity among putative E2 isozymes in the mechanism of ubiquitin-histone ligationA L Haas
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226
J Biol Chem 263:13268-75. 1988..4 nM for E2(32kDa), and 3.6 nM for E2(20kDa). The data indicate that E2(20kDa) and E2(32kDa) are specific but mechanistically distinct ligation enzymes responsible for the conjugation of ubiquitin to nucleosomal proteins...
- Physical mapping in a YAC contig of 11 markers on the human X chromosome in Xp11.23T Hagemann
Department of Immunology, Rush Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60612
Genomics 21:262-5. 1994..23. The region analyzed spans the distal marker UBE1 and the ARAF1/TIMP/SYN1/PFC gene cluster and further extends proximally to include ELK1, ZNF21, ZNF81, and OATL1 in ..
- Substrate properties of site-specific mutant ubiquitin protein (G76A) reveal unexpected mechanistic features of ubiquitin-activating enzyme (E1)C M Pickart
Department of Biochemistry, State University of New York, Buffalo 14214
J Biol Chem 269:7115-23. 1994..The intermediacy of ubiquitin adenylate thus provides a previously unrecognized catalytic advantage in the E1 mechanism...
- Degradation of the tumor suppressor protein p53 by the ubiquitin-mediated proteolytic system requires a novel species of ubiquitin-carrier protein, E2A Ciechanover
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
J Biol Chem 269:9582-9. 1994....
- The Saccharomyces cerevisiae LOS1 gene involved in pre-tRNA splicing encodes a nuclear protein that behaves as a component of the nuclear matrixW C Shen
Department of Biological Chemistry, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey 17033
J Biol Chem 268:19436-44. 1993..ura1 ... sac1 trp3 uba1 ste6 los1 .... fas1.......
- CD4 glycoprotein degradation induced by human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpu protein requires the function of proteasomes and the ubiquitin-conjugating pathwayU Schubert
Laboratories of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0440, USA
J Virol 72:2280-8. 1998....
- Cloning of human polyubiquitin cDNAs and a ubiquitin-binding assay involving its in vitro translation productN S Kim
Sagami Chemical Research Center, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, 229 0012, Japan
J Biochem 124:35-9. 1998..The labeled ubiquitin could be used as a substrate for thiol ester formation with ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 or ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme E2...
- Crystal structure of the human ubiquitin-like protein NEDD8 and interactions with ubiquitin pathway enzymesF G Whitby
Department of Biochemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Biol Chem 273:34983-91. 1998..One such residue, Ala-72 (Arg in ubiquitin), is shown to perform a key role in selecting against reaction with the ubiquitin E1 enzyme, thereby acting to prevent the inappropriate diversion of NEDD8 into ubiquitin-specific pathways...
- Molecular cloning of ubiquitin-activating enzyme (E1) from Xenopus laevisF Miya
Department of Biology and Geosciences, Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, Japan
DNA Seq 11:349-52. 2000..The Xenopus homologue to the ubiquitin-activating enzyme (E1) from a Xenopus ovary is described. The deduced amino acid sequence is highly homologous to E1 from other species...
- Involvement of the ubiquitin/proteasome system in sorting of the interleukin 2 receptor beta chain to late endocytic compartmentsA Rocca
Unite de Biologie des Interactions Cellulaires, Unité de Recherche Associée Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 1960, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Mol Biol Cell 12:1293-301. 2001..Our data show that ubiquitination is required for the sorting of IL2Rbeta toward degradation. They also indicate that impairment of proteasome function might more generally affect intracellular routing...
- U-box proteins as a new family of ubiquitin ligasesShigetsugu Hatakeyama
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 302:635-45. 2003..We here review recent progress in the characterization of U-box proteins and of their role in the quality control system that underlies the cellular stress response to the intracellular accumulation of abnormal proteins...
- Cellular ubiquitination and proteasomal functions positively modulate mammalian nucleotide excision repairQi En Wang
Department of Radiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Mol Carcinog 42:53-64. 2005..Taken together, we conclude that the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway has a positive regulatory role for optimal NER capacity in mammalian cells and appears to act through facilitating the recruitment of repair factors to DNA damage sites...
- Mechanistic insight into the allosteric activation of a ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme by RING-type ubiquitin ligasesEngin Ozkan
Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6001 Forest Park Road, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:18890-5. 2005..Our studies reveal structural determinants for communication between distal functional sites of E2s and suggest that RING-type E3s activate E2s allosterically...
- Link between the ubiquitin conjugation system and the ISG15 conjugation system: ISG15 conjugation to the UbcH6 ubiquitin E2 enzymeTomoharu Takeuchi
Department of Biochemistry, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0812
J Biochem 138:711-9. 2005..Thus, we provide evidence for a link between the ubiquitin conjugation system and the ISG15 conjugation system...
- Natural products inhibiting the ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway, a target for drug developmentSachiko Tsukamoto
Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa 920 1192, Japan
Curr Med Chem 13:745-54. 2006..In this review, we summarize the structures and biological activities of natural products that inhibit the ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway...
- RING finger proteins of infectious spleen and kidney necrosis virus (ISKNV) function as ubiquitin ligase enzymesJunfeng Xie
State Key Laboratory of Biocontrol, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat Sen Zhongshan University, Guangzhou 510275, People s Republic of China
Virus Res 123:170-7. 2007..In addition, zinc ion was required as an enhancer for ISKNV RFP to exert its E3 function. Investigation of RFPs of ISKNV helps to understand their functions in the infection process and in the virus-host interaction...
- The LeATL6-associated ubiquitin/proteasome system may contribute to fungal elicitor-activated defense response via the jasmonic acid-dependent signaling pathway in tomatoDaisuke Hondo
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:72-81. 2007..The LeATL6-associated ubiquitin/proteasome system may contribute to elicitor-activated defense responses via a JA-dependent signaling pathway in plants...
- Designed semisynthetic protein inhibitors of Ub/Ubl E1 activating enzymesXuequan Lu
Molecular Pharmacology and Chemistry Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, Box 422, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Am Chem Soc 132:1748-9. 2010..an electrophilic vinyl sulfonamide designed to trap the incoming E1 cysteine nucleophile (Uba2 Cys173 in SUMO E1; Uba1 Cys593 in Ub E1) in the second half-reaction, and these constructs selectively, covalently, and stably cross-link ..
- The ubiquitin-proteasome system plays an important role during various stages of the coronavirus infection cycleMatthijs Raaben
Virology Division, Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
J Virol 84:7869-79. 2010..Our observations reveal an important role of the UPS in multiple steps of the CoV infection cycle and identify the UPS as a potential drug target to modulate the impact of CoV infection...
- Identification and characterization of feline UBE1L geneSayumi Shimode
Laboratory of Signal Transduction, Department of Cell Biology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, 53 Shogoin Kawaharacho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 74:235-9. 2012..These data suggest that FeUBE1L has an enzymatic activity. Further, expression of FeUBE1L was induced in feline cell lines by treatment with feline interferon-ω and ovine interferon-τ...
- β-catenin is a molecular switch that regulates transition of cell-cell adhesion to fusionYouki Takezawa
Department of Reproductive Biology, National Center for Child Health and Development, 2 10 1 Okura, Setagaya, Tokyo 157 8535, Japan
Sci Rep 1:68. 2011..b>UBE1-41, an inhibitor of ubiquitin-activating enzyme 1, inhibited the degradation of β-catenin, and reduced the fusing ..
- Erythroid differentiation-associated gene interacts with NPM1 (nucleophosmin/B23) and increases its protein stability, resisting cell apoptosisMei Jiang Zhang
Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
FEBS J 279:2848-62. 2012..These results suggest that EDAG enhances the protein stability of NPM1 via binding to NPM1, which plays a critical role in the anti-apoptosis of leukaemia cells...
- Electrophilic adduction of ubiquitin activating enzyme E1 by N,N-diethyldithiocarbamate inhibits ubiquitin activation and is accompanied by striatal injury in the ratOlga M Viquez
Department of Pathology Microbiology and Immunology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232 2561, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 25:2310-21. 2012..Additionally, this study supports the predictive value of in vitro screens for identifying sensitive protein targets that can be used to guide subsequent in vivo experiments...
- Oxidative stress responses involve oxidation of a conserved ubiquitin pathway enzymeKathryn S Doris
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 32:4472-81. 2012..In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, ubiquitinylation involves a single E1 enzyme, Uba1, with multiple E2s and E3s providing substrate specificity...
- A novel melanocortin-4 receptor mutation MC4R-P272L associated with severe obesity has increased propensity to be ubiquitinated in the ER in the face of correct foldingSusana Granell
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e50894. 2012....
- Adaptive immunity does not strongly suppress spontaneous tumors in a Sleeping Beauty model of cancerLaura M Rogers
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Immunol 190:4393-9. 2013..mutations identified significant differences in mutation prevalence for a number of genes, including Uba1. Taken together, these results indicate that B and T cells function to shape the genetic profile of tumors in ..
- Rescue of enzymatic function for disease-associated RPE65 proteins containing various missense mutations in non-active sitesSonghua Li
From the Department of Ophthalmology and Neuroscience Center, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
J Biol Chem 289:18943-56. 2014....
- Structural model of the hUbA1-UbcH10 quaternary complex: in silico and experimental analysis of the protein-protein interactions between E1, E2 and ubiquitinStefania Correale
Kedrion S p A, Sant Antimo Na, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e112082. 2014..In this work we propose the first three dimensional model of the tetrameric complex formed by the human UbA1 (E1), two ubiquitin molecules and UbcH10 (E2), leading to the transthiolation reaction...
- Nuclear localization of ubiquitin-activating enzyme Uba1 is characterized in its mammalian temperature-sensitive mutantKimihiko Sugaya
Research Center for Radiation Protection and Fukushima Project Headquarters, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba, 263 8555, Japan
Genes Cells 20:659-66. 2015In our previous study, a point mutation in Uba1, the gene encoding ubiquitin-activating enzyme, was identified in temperature-sensitive (ts) CHO-K1 mutant tsTM3 cells, which led to a Met-to-Ile substitution at amino acid 256 in Uba1 ..
- High-Pressure NMR Spectroscopy Reveals Functional Sub-states of Ubiquitin and Ubiquitin-Like ProteinsRyo Kitahara
College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ritsumeikan University, 1 1 1 Noji higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga, 525 8577, Japan
Subcell Biochem 72:199-214. 2015..The recognition of E1 by ubiquitin is best explained by conformational selection rather than by induced-fit motion...
- Differential Contributions of Ubiquitin-Modified APOBEC3G Lysine Residues to HIV-1 Vif-Induced DegradationTiffany Turner
Center for AIDS Health Disparities Research, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
J Mol Biol 428:3529-39. 2016....
- Binding of HIV-1 Vpr protein to the human homolog of the yeast DNA repair protein RAD23 (hHR23A) requires its xeroderma pigmentosum complementation group C binding (XPCB) domain as well as the ubiquitin-associated 2 (UBA2) domainJinwon Jung
From the Department of Structural Biology and Pittsburgh Center for HIV Host Protein Interactions, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261
J Biol Chem 289:2577-88. 2014..is a modular protein containing an N-terminal ubiquitin-like (UBL) domain and two ubiquitin-associated domains (UBA1 and UBA2) separated by a xeroderma pigmentosum complementation group C binding (XPCB) domain...
- Down-regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor by curcumin-induced UBE1L in human bronchial epithelial cellsA Pei Jiang
Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, Key Laboratory of Toxicology, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 211166, China
J Nutr Biochem 25:241-9. 2014..These results uncover a novel chemopreventive mechanism of curcumin in inducing UBE1L and down-regulating EGFR signaling in HBE cells. ..
- Ubiquitin-activating enzyme activity contributes to differential accumulation of mutant huntingtin in brain and peripheral tissuesBrandy E Wade
Department of Human Genetics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, and
J Neurosci 34:8411-22. 2014..Inhibition of ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 (Ube1) increased the levels of HMW mHtt in the relatively unaffected tissues...
- Timely activation of budding yeast APCCdh1 involves degradation of its inhibitor, Acm1, by an unconventional proteolytic mechanismMichael Melesse
Department of Biochemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e103517. 2014..Acm1 was stabilized though by conditional inactivation of the ubiquitin activating enzyme Uba1, implying some requirement for the ubiquitin pathway, either direct or indirect...
- Two mutations impair the stability and function of ubiquitin-activating enzyme (E1)Taotao Lao
Department of Biology and Graduate Program of Biological Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Cell Physiol 227:1561-8. 2012..Our data establish the molecular basis for unambiguous interpretation of experimental data based on TS20 cells, and provide new insight into the structural determinants of E1 stability...
- Stress effects caused by the expression of a mutant cellobiohydrolase I and proteasome inhibition in Trichoderma reesei Rut-C30Liisa Kautto
Department of Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences, Faculty of Science, Macquarie University, Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
N Biotechnol 30:183-91. 2013..A massive upregulation of UPR- and ERAD-related genes sec61, der1, uba1, bip1, pdi1, prp1, cxl1 and lhs1 was observed by qRT-PCR in the CBHIΔ4-Venus strain with four mutations introduced ..
- The ubc-2 gene of Caenorhabditis elegans encodes a ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme involved in selective protein degradationM Zhen
Department of Biochemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 13:1371-7. 1993..These data suggest that yeast UBC4 and UBC5, Drosophila UbcD1, and C. elegans ubc-2 define a highly conserved gene family which plays fundamental roles in all eukaryotic cells...
- Physical map covering a 2 Mb region in human xp11.3 distal to DX6849K L Stoddart
Department of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Gene 227:111-6. 1999..YACs) and P1 artificial chromosomes (PACs), extending from DXS6849 to a new marker EC7034R, 1Mb distal to UBE1, within the p11.3 region of the human X chromosome...
- EL5, a rice N-acetylchitooligosaccharide elicitor-responsive RING-H2 finger protein, is a ubiquitin ligase which functions in vitro in co-operation with an elicitor-responsive ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme, OsUBC5bRyota Takai
Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8572, Japan
Plant J 30:447-55. 2002..These results strongly suggest that EL5 and OsUBC5b have roles in plant defense response through the turnover of protein(s) via the ubiquitin/proteasome system...
- Identification of p54(nrb) and the 14-3-3 Protein HS1 as TNF-alpha-inducible genes related to cell cycle control and apoptosis in human arterial endothelial cellsSebastian Stier
Medizinische Poliklinik, University of Bonn, Wilhelmstr 35 37, 53111 Bonn, Germany
J Biochem Mol Biol 38:447-56. 2005....
- A conditional yeast E1 mutant blocks the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway and reveals a role for ubiquitin conjugates in targeting Rad23 to the proteasomeNazli Ghaboosi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Mol Biol Cell 18:1953-63. 2007..We report the isolation of uba1-204, a temperature-sensitive allele of the essential Saccharomyces cerevisiae E1 gene, UBA1...
- Inhibitors of ubiquitin-activating enzyme (E1), a new class of potential cancer therapeuticsYili Yang
Laboratory of Protein Dynamics and Signaling, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, NIH, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Cancer Res 67:9472-81. 2007..These inhibitors can also be valuable tools for studying ubiquitylation...
- Damage-induced ubiquitylation of human RNA polymerase II by the ubiquitin ligase Nedd4, but not Cockayne syndrome proteins or BRCA1Roy Anindya
Clare Hall Laboratories, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, Blanche Lane, South Mimms EN6 3LD, UK
Mol Cell 28:386-97. 2007..Nedd4-dependent RNAPII ubiquitylation could also be reconstituted with highly purified proteins. Together, our results indicate that transcriptional arrest at DNA lesions triggers Nedd4 recruitment and RNAPII ubiquitylation...
- Inhibition of the ubiquitin-proteasome system affects influenza A virus infection at a postfusion stepIvy Widjaja
Virology Division, Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Virol 84:9625-31. 2010..This was confirmed by the lack of inhibition of IAV entry by proteasome inhibitors in a virus-like particle fusion assay...
- Mechanistic studies of substrate-assisted inhibition of ubiquitin-activating enzyme by adenosine sulfamate analoguesJesse J Chen
Discovery, Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Biol Chem 286:40867-77. 2011..and Dick, L. R. (2010) Mol. Cell 37, 102-111). In the present study, substrate-assisted inhibition of human UAE (Ube1) by another adenosine sulfamate analogue, 5'-O-sulfamoyl-N(6)-[(1S)-2,3-dihydro-1H-inden-1-yl]-adenosine (Compound ..
- Degradation of the proto-oncogene product c-Fos by the ubiquitin proteolytic system in vivo and in vitro: identification and characterization of the conjugating enzymesI Stancovski
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Mol Cell Biol 15:7106-16. 1995..Taken together, our in vivo and in vitro studies strongly suggest that c-Fos is degraded in the cell by the ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway in a process that requires a novel recognition enzyme...
- The ubiquitin-activating enzyme E1 homologous genes on the mouse Y chromosome (Ube1y) represent one functional gene and six partial pseudogenesN Levy
INSERM U491, Génétique Médicale et Développement, Faculte de Medecine de la Timone, Marseille, France
Mamm Genome 11:164-8. 2000
- Molecular mechanism of insulin-induced degradation of insulin receptor substrate 1Rachel Zhande
Endocrinology Division, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:1016-26. 2002..In contrast, activation of mTOR is not required for IRS-1 degradation in CHO/IR cells. Thus, our data provide insight into the molecular mechanism of insulin-induced activation of the IRS-1 ubiquitin-proteasome degradation pathway...
- Sex differences in sex chromosome gene expression in mouse brainJun Xu
Department of Physiological Science and Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology of the Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1606, USA
Hum Mol Genet 11:1409-19. 2002..Six X-linked homologues (Usp9x, Ube1x, Smcx, Eif2s3x, Utx and Dbx) were also expressed in brain, and in adulthood all of these transcripts were ..
- Ubiquitination of inducible nitric oxide synthase is required for its degradationPawel J Kolodziejski
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12315-20. 2002..These studies indicate that iNOS is subject to ubiquitination and that ubiquitination is required for its degradation...
- A Luciferase Fusion Library of High Throughput Profiling of Protein StabilityGang Lu; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- JAQUELIN PAGE DUDLEY; Fiscal Year: 2016..is that Rem-SP uses a previously unknown process that does not require polyubiquitination or the E1 enzyme Uba1 for retrotranslocation...
- Yuzhi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2014..Therefore, the results from testing this hypothesis will provide a new understanding of APP functions/dysfunctions, which may reveal targets for disease interventions and biomarker discoveries. ..
- William M Valentine; Fiscal Year: 2014..thiocarbamate herbicides, and the diaklydithiocarbamate and benomyl based fungicides covalently modify and inhibit UBA1 activating enzyme resulting in impaired ubiquitin based protein processing and cell signaling that promote ..
- NOVEL FAS BINDING PROTEIN AND ITS ROLE IN DISEASERaif Geha; Fiscal Year: 1999..The proposed studies may lead to a better understanding of the mechanisms of apoptosis and self tolerance and to novel strategies for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE MOUSE Y CHROMOSOMECOLIN BISHOP; Fiscal Year: 2000..This work revealed that Ube1y is the Y chromosome homologue of Ube1x, the X-linked gene encoding Ubiquitin activating enzyme E1...
- RECEPTOR MEDIATED ENDOCYTOSIS IN LIVERAlan Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2000..These studies taken together will advance our understanding of the cellular biology of intracellular protein degradation. ..
- UBIQUITIN DEPENDENT PATHWAY AND LENS EPITHELIUMFu Shang; Fiscal Year: 2002..The information obtained will enhance our understanding of the role of the UDP in lens cells and may be used for future regulation of the UDP activity to promote the recovery of lens epithelial cells from stress. ..
- PUSHMI-PULLYU HYBRID MAPPING OF THE HUMAN X CHROMOSOMEHUNTINGTON WILLARD; Fiscal Year: 1992..megabase physical map of the human X chromosome, using as selectable markers the HPRT gene located in Xq26 and the A1S9T temperature-sensitivity complementing gene located in Xp11...
- Substrates of SAG-SCF E3 ligase regulate hypoxia responseYi Sun; Fiscal Year: 2007..These initial studies will set the stage for a more detailed investigation of the mechanism of SAG mediated suppression of apoptosis. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ROLE OF PROTEASOMAL DYSFUNCTION IN PARKINSON'S DISEASEKEVIN MCNAUGHT; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will test our hypothesis that inadequate proteasomal function underlies both vulnerability and degeneration of the SNc in sporadic Parkinson's disease. ..
- SAG E3 ubiquitin ligase in angiogenesis & carcinogenesisYi Sun; Fiscal Year: 2010..Targeting SAG in cancer cells, via siRNA silencing or small molecule inhibitors, would, therefore, be a valid antianglogenesis therapy. ..