Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: SR-BI
Description: scavenger receptor class B member 1
Alias: CD36L1, CLA-1, CLA1, HDLQTL6, SR-BI, SRB1, scavenger receptor class B member 1, CD36 and LIMPII analogous 1, CD36 antigen (collagen type I receptor, thrombospondin receptor)-like 1, scavenger receptor class B type III
- Purdue M, Johansson M, Zelenika D, Toro J, Scelo G, Moore L, et al. Genome-wide association study of renal cell carcinoma identifies two susceptibility loci on 2p21 and 11q13.3. Nat Genet. 2011;43:60-5 pubmed publisher..31 for rs4765623, which maps to SCARB1, the scavenger receptor class B, member 1 gene (P = 2.6 × 10??). Our study reports previously unidentified genomic regions associated with RCC risk that may lead to new etiological insights. ..
- Chiba Falek O, Nichols M, Suchindran S, Guyton J, Ginsburg G, Barrett Connor E, et al. Impact of gene variants on sex-specific regulation of human Scavenger receptor class B type 1 (SR-BI) expression in liver and association with lipid levels in a population-based study. BMC Med Genet. 2010;11:9 pubmed publisher..This work highlights the importance of considering sex-dependent effects of gene variants on serum lipid levels. ..
- Cerda A, Genvigir F, Rodrigues A, Willrich M, Dorea E, Bernik M, et al. Influence of polymorphisms and cholesterol-lowering treatment on SCARB1 mRNA expression. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2011;18:640-51 pubmed..05). LDL cholesterol levels and SCARB1 c.726 + 54C> T are associated with low mRNA expression in mononuclear cells. Cholesterol-lowering drugs do not modulate SCARB1 expression in PBMC from HC subjects or in HepG2 and Caco-2 cells. ..
- Scarselli E, Ansuini H, Cerino R, Roccasecca R, Acali S, Filocamo G, et al. The human scavenger receptor class B type I is a novel candidate receptor for the hepatitis C virus. EMBO J. 2002;21:5017-25 pubmed..Finally, E2 recognition by SR-BI was competed out in an isolate-specific manner both on the hepatoma cell line and on the human SR-BI-transfected cell line by an anti-HVR1 monoclonal antibody. ..
- Tai E, Adiconis X, Ordovas J, Carmena Ramon R, Real J, Corella D, et al. Polymorphisms at the SRBI locus are associated with lipoprotein levels in subjects with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Clin Genet. 2003;63:53-8 pubmed
- Rhainds D, Bourgeois P, Bourret G, Huard K, Falstrault L, Brissette L. Localization and regulation of SR-BI in membrane rafts of HepG2 cells. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3095-105 pubmed..SR-BI-dependent LDL- and HDL-CE selective uptake are affected differently by the integrity of membrane rafts, but both occur by a retroendocytic pathway in HepG2 cells. ..
- McCarthy J, Lewitzky S, Reeves C, Permutt A, Glaser B, Groop L, et al. Polymorphisms of the HDL receptor gene associated with HDL cholesterol levels in diabetic kindred from three populations. Hum Hered. 2003;55:163-70 pubmed..These same associations were not found in men. Polymorphic variation of the SR-BI gene may influence HDL-C levels and act in a sex-dependent manner. ..
- Kocher O, Yesilaltay A, Cirovic C, Pal R, Rigotti A, Krieger M. Targeted disruption of the PDZK1 gene in mice causes tissue-specific depletion of the high density lipoprotein receptor scavenger receptor class B type I and altered lipoprotein metabolism. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52820-5 pubmed..The PDZK1-dependent regulation of hepatic SR-BI and, thus, lipoprotein metabolism supports the proposal that this adaptor may represent a new target for therapeutic intervention in cardiovascular disease. ..
- Zhang X, Merkler K, McLean M. Characterization of regulatory intronic and exonic sequences involved in alternative splicing of scavenger receptor class B gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;372:173-8 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insights into the mechanism of SR-B splicing and it is important for further study on the mechanism of SR-B alternative splicing regulation, such as its regulation by estrogen. ..
- Wu D, Yin R, Hu X, Aung L, Cao X, Miao L, et al. Association of rs5888 SNP in the scavenger receptor class B type 1 gene and serum lipid levels. Lipids Health Dis. 2012;11:50 pubmed publisher..The differences in serum lipid levels between the two ethnic groups might partially attribute to the differences in the SCARB1 rs5888 SNP and several environmental factors. ..
- Guo L, Chen M, Song Z, Daugherty A, Li X. C323 of SR-BI is required for SR-BI-mediated HDL binding and cholesteryl ester uptake. J Lipid Res. 2011;52:2272-8 pubmed publisher..C323 of SR-BI is critical for SR-BI-mediated HDL binding and cholesteryl ester uptake, and changes in redox status may be a regulatory factor modulating SR-BI-mediated cholesterol transport. ..
- Rodríguez Esparragón F, Rodriguez Perez J, Hernández Trujillo Y, Macías Reyes A, Medina A, Caballero A, et al. Allelic variants of the human scavenger receptor class B type 1 and paraoxonase 1 on coronary heart disease: genotype-phenotype correlations. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005;25:854-60 pubmed..CLA-1/SR-BI mRNA expression levels differed according to CLA-1/SR-BI genotypes. These data suggest a plausible genetic interaction between the CLA-1 exon 8 gene polymorphism and the risk of CHD in males. ..
- Voisset C, Callens N, Blanchard E, Op De Beeck A, Dubuisson J, Vu Dac N. High density lipoproteins facilitate hepatitis C virus entry through the scavenger receptor class B type I. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:7793-9 pubmed..Altogether, these data indicate that HDL-mediated enhancement of HCVpp entry involves a complex interplay between SR-BI, HDL, and HCV envelope glycoproteins, and they highlight the active role of HDLs in HCV entry. ..
- Ritsch A, Sonderegger G, Sonderegger G, Sandhofer A, Stanzl U, Stanzl U, et al. Scavenger receptor class B type I polymorphisms and peripheral arterial disease. Metabolism. 2007;56:1135-41 pubmed..In conclusion, in the present study population, SCARB1 polymorphisms not only show associations with plasma levels of total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, respectively, but also with the risk for PAD. ..
- Rodrigues C, Hannus M, Prudêncio M, Martin C, Gonçalves L, Portugal S, et al. Host scavenger receptor SR-BI plays a dual role in the establishment of malaria parasite liver infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;4:271-82 pubmed publisher..Additional analyses revealed that SR-BI plays a dual role in Plasmodium infection, affecting both sporozoite invasion and intracellular parasite development, and may therefore constitute a good target for malaria prophylaxis. ..
- Osgood D, Corella D, Demissie S, Cupples L, Wilson P, Meigs J, et al. Genetic variation at the scavenger receptor class B type I gene locus determines plasma lipoprotein concentrations and particle size and interacts with type 2 diabetes: the framingham study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:2869-79 pubmed..03 for interaction). Similar results were obtained for HDL(2)-C. In conclusion, SR-BI gene variation modulates the lipid profile, particularly in type 2 diabetes, contributing to the metabolic abnormalities in these subjects. ..
- Malerød L, Sporstøl M, Juvet L, Mousavi A, Gjøen T, Berg T. Hepatic scavenger receptor class B, type I is stimulated by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;305:557-65 pubmed..The present results are in agreement with previous reports, indicating that specific PPARgamma-agonists (such as TZDs) protect against atherosclerosis. ..
- West M, Greason E, Kolmakova A, Jahangiri A, Asztalos B, Pollin T, et al. Scavenger receptor class B type I protein as an independent predictor of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in subjects with hyperalphalipoproteinemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:1451-7 pubmed publisher..0004) of [(125)I, (3)H]-CE-labeled HDL. SR-BI protein has an independent effect on HDL-C levels in women with hyperalphalipoproteinemia. Two SNPs were significantly associated with lower SR-BI protein levels. ..
- Stanislovaitienė D, Lesauskaite V, Zaliūniene D, Smalinskiene A, Gustiene O, Zaliaduonyte Peksiene D, et al. SCARB1 single nucleotide polymorphism (rs5888) is associated with serum lipid profile and myocardial infarction in an age- and gender-dependent manner. Lipids Health Dis. 2013;12:24 pubmed publisher..SCARB1 TT genotype was associated with decreased odds of MI in aged men. ..
- Duong M, Collins H, Jin W, Zanotti I, Favari E, Rothblat G. Relative contributions of ABCA1 and SR-BI to cholesterol efflux to serum from fibroblasts and macrophages. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26:541-7 pubmed..Cholesterol efflux is achieved by several mechanisms. This study examines contributions of these pathways to efflux to human serum...
- Catalano G, Duchene E, Julia Z, Le Goff W, Bruckert E, Chapman M, et al. Cellular SR-BI and ABCA1-mediated cholesterol efflux are gender-specific in healthy subjects. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:635-43 pubmed..72, P < 0.0001), whereas this relationship was not observed in men. In conclusion, HDL-C level may not represent the absolute indicator of the efficiency of the initial step of the reverse cholesterol transport...
- Catanese M, Graziani R, von Hahn T, Moreau M, Huby T, Paonessa G, et al. High-avidity monoclonal antibodies against the human scavenger class B type I receptor efficiently block hepatitis C virus infection in the presence of high-density lipoprotein. J Virol. 2007;81:8063-71 pubmedThe human scavenger class B type 1 receptor (SR-B1/Cla1) was identified as a putative receptor for hepatitis C virus (HCV) because it binds to soluble recombinant HCV envelope glycoprotein E2 (sE2)...
- Roberts C, Shen H, Mitchell B, Damcott C, Shuldiner A, Rodriguez A. Variants in scavenger receptor class B type I gene are associated with HDL cholesterol levels in younger women. Hum Hered. 2007;64:107-13 pubmed
- Grove J, Huby T, Stamataki Z, Vanwolleghem T, Meuleman P, Farquhar M, et al. Scavenger receptor BI and BII expression levels modulate hepatitis C virus infectivity. J Virol. 2007;81:3162-9 pubmed..Finally, anti-SR-BI antibodies inhibited the infectivity of cell culture- and plasma-derived J6/JFH, suggesting a critical role for SR-BI/II in HCV infection. ..
- Teslovich T, Musunuru K, Smith A, Edmondson A, Stylianou I, Koseki M, et al. Biological, clinical and population relevance of 95 loci for blood lipids. Nature. 2010;466:707-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings provide the foundation to develop a broader biological understanding of lipoprotein metabolism and to identify new therapeutic opportunities for the prevention of CAD. ..
- Maillard P, Huby T, Andreo U, Moreau M, Chapman J, Budkowska A. The interaction of natural hepatitis C virus with human scavenger receptor SR-BI/Cla1 is mediated by ApoB-containing lipoproteins. FASEB J. 2006;20:735-7 pubmed..SR-BI/Cla1 interacts with plasma HDL, native and modified LDL, and VLDL, and facilitates cellular cholesterol efflux to ..
- Malerød L, Sporstøl M, Juvet L, Mousavi S, Gjøen T, Berg T, et al. Bile acids reduce SR-BI expression in hepatocytes by a pathway involving FXR/RXR, SHP, and LRH-1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:1096-105 pubmed..The present study shows that also the SR-BI-mediated supply of cholesterol, the substrate for bile acid synthesis, is feedback regulated by bile acids. ..
- Duncan K, Bailey K, Kane J, Schwartz D. Human retinal pigment epithelial cells express scavenger receptors BI and BII. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;292:1017-22 pubmed..SR-BI and SR-BII proteins were also detected by immunofluorescence staining of RPE cells in culture. The results suggest that these SRs may play a role in POS lipid binding and uptake by RPE cells in the eye. ..
- Silver D. A carboxyl-terminal PDZ-interacting domain of scavenger receptor B, type I is essential for cell surface expression in liver. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:34042-7 pubmed
- Baranova I, Vishnyakova T, Bocharov A, Kurlander R, Chen Z, Kimelman M, et al. Serum amyloid A binding to CLA-1 (CD36 and LIMPII analogous-1) mediates serum amyloid A protein-induced activation of ERK1/2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:8031-40 pubmed..The results of this study demonstrate for the first time that CLA-1 functions as an endocytic SAA receptor and is involved in SAA-mediated cell signaling events associated with the immune-related and inflammatory effects of SAA. ..
- Levy E, Menard D, Suc I, Delvin E, Marcil V, Brissette L, et al. Ontogeny, immunolocalisation, distribution and function of SR-BI in the human intestine. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:327-37 pubmed..These observations suggest that the human intestine possesses a developmental and regional SR-BI pattern of distribution, and extends our knowledge in SR-BI-mediated cholesterol transport. ..
- Bartosch B, Vitelli A, Granier C, Goujon C, Dubuisson J, Pascale S, et al. Cell entry of hepatitis C virus requires a set of co-receptors that include the CD81 tetraspanin and the SR-B1 scavenger receptor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:41624-30 pubmed..Finally, by correlating expression of HCV receptors and infectivity, we suggest that, besides CD81 and SR-B1, additional hepatocyte-specific co-factor(s) are necessary for HCV entry. ..
- Langer C, Gansz B, Goepfert C, Engel T, Uehara Y, von Dehn G, et al. Testosterone up-regulates scavenger receptor BI and stimulates cholesterol efflux from macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;296:1051-7 pubmed..These data suggest that testosterone, despite lowering HDL cholesterol, intensifies reverse cholesterol transport and thereby exerts an anti-atherogenic rather than a pro-atherogenic effect...
- Wu D, Yin R, Yan T, Aung L, Cao X, Miao L, et al. The SCARB1 rs5888 SNP and serum lipid levels in the Guangxi Mulao and Han populations. Int J Med Sci. 2012;9:715-24 pubmed publisher..The differences in serum ApoB levels between the two ethnic groups might partially attribute to different SCARB1 genotype-environmental interactions. ..
- During A, Doraiswamy S, Harrison E. Xanthophylls are preferentially taken up compared with beta-carotene by retinal cells via a SRBI-dependent mechanism. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:1715-24 pubmed publisher..This mechanism may explain, in part, the preferential accumulation of xanthophylls in the macula of the retina. ..
- Komori H, Arai H, Kashima T, Huby T, Kita T, Ueda Y. Coexpression of CLA-1 and human PDZK1 in murine liver modulates HDL cholesterol metabolism. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:1298-303 pubmed publisher..Our results imply that enhancing CLA-1 expression by human PDZK1 in the liver can modulate HDL cholesterol metabolism and possibly enhance reverse cholesterol transport to prevent the progression of atherosclerosis in human. ..
- Eckhardt E, Cai L, Sun B, Webb N, van der Westhuyzen D. High density lipoprotein uptake by scavenger receptor SR-BII. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14372-81 pubmed..We conclude that SR-BII may influence cellular cholesterol trafficking and homeostasis in a manner that is distinct from SR-BI. ..
- Morabia A, Ross B, Costanza M, Cayanis E, Flaherty M, Alvin G, et al. Population-based study of SR-BI genetic variation and lipid profile. Atherosclerosis. 2004;175:159-68 pubmed..The HDL-C effect increased with age. SR-BI A350A appears to have gender-specific and age-related effects on cholesterol transport lipoproteins. ..
- Zhang X, Moor A, Merkler K, Liu Q, McLean M. Regulation of alternative splicing of liver scavenger receptor class B gene by estrogen and the involved regulatory splicing factors. Endocrinology. 2007;148:5295-304 pubmed
- Rejeb J, Omezzine A, Boumaiza I, Rebhi L, Kacem S, Rejeb N, et al. Association of three polymorphisms of scavenger receptor class BI gene (exon8, exon1, intron5) with coronary stenosis in a coronary Tunisian population. Gene. 2012;511:383-8 pubmed publisher..Carriers of T allele of exon8 in SCARB1 seemed to increase HDL-C and ApoAI concentrations and reduce the risk of SCS. The intron5, exon1 and (CAT) haplotype seemed to have an atherogenic effect. ..
- Hong S, Kim Y, Yoon Y, Min W, Chun S, Kim J. Association between HaeIII polymorphism of scavenger receptor class B type I gene and plasma HDL-cholesterol concentration. Ann Clin Biochem. 2002;39:478-81 pubmed..Further comparative studies of SR-BI polymorphism in other racial or ethnic groups should therefore prove to be of value. ..
- Dreux M, Dao Thi V, Fresquet J, Guerin M, Julia Z, Verney G, et al. Receptor complementation and mutagenesis reveal SR-BI as an essential HCV entry factor and functionally imply its intra- and extra-cellular domains. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000310 pubmed publisher..Altogether, we demonstrate that SR-BI is an essential HCV entry factor. Moreover, our results highlight specific SR-BI determinants required during HCV entry and physiological lipid transfer functions hijacked by HCV to favor infection. ..
- McCarthy J, Somji A, Weiss L, Steffy B, Vega R, Barrett Connor E, et al. Polymorphisms of the scavenger receptor class B member 1 are associated with insulin resistance with evidence of gene by sex interaction. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:1789-96 pubmed publisher..These findings warrant further investigation in additional populations and prompt exploration of a role for SR-BI in the development of insulin resistance. ..
- Tanaka T, Delgado Lista J, Lopez Miranda J, Perez Jimenez F, Marin C, Perez Martinez P, et al. Scavenger receptor class B type I (SCARB1) c.1119C>T polymorphism affects postprandial triglyceride metabolism in men. J Nutr. 2007;137:578-82 pubmed..923) or total TG (Pgeno x time = 0.529) did not differ by genotype. These results suggest that the c.1119C>T polymorphism is associated with a lower postprandial TG response in the smaller, partially catabolized lipoprotein fraction. ..
- Ji A, Meyer J, Cai L, Akinmusire A, de Beer M, Webb N, et al. Scavenger receptor SR-BI in macrophage lipid metabolism. Atherosclerosis. 2011;217:106-12 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that SR-BI plays a significant role in macrophage cholesterol flux that may partly account for its effects on atherogenesis. ..
- Cerda A, Genvigir F, Arazi S, Hirata M, Dorea E, Bernik M, et al. Influence of SCARB1 polymorphisms on serum lipids of hypercholesterolemic individuals treated with atorvastatin. Clin Chim Acta. 2010;411:631-7 pubmed publisher..05) than the TT genotype carriers in response to atorvastatin. The SCARB1 polymorphisms are related with variations in serum lipids in the Brazilian population and c.1050C>T SNP is associated with lipid-lowering atorvastatin response. ..
- Dreux M, Pietschmann T, Granier C, Voisset C, Ricard Blum S, Mangeot P, et al. High density lipoprotein inhibits hepatitis C virus-neutralizing antibodies by stimulating cell entry via activation of the scavenger receptor BI. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18285-95 pubmed..Consistently, we show that antibodies targeted to HCV-E1 efficiently neutralize HCVpp and HCVcc in the presence of human serum. ..
- Richard E, von Muhlen D, Barrett Connor E, Alcaraz J, Davis R, McCarthy J. Modification of the effects of estrogen therapy on HDL cholesterol levels by polymorphisms of the HDL-C receptor, SR-BI: the Rancho Bernardo Study. Atherosclerosis. 2005;180:255-62 pubmed..Among women with symptomatic CHD, the interaction between estrogen use and SR-BI genotype became even stronger. The effect that unopposed estrogen use has on HDL-C may depend on a woman's SR-BI genotype. ..
- Brunham L, Tietjen I, Bochem A, Singaraja R, Franchini P, Radomski C, et al. Novel mutations in scavenger receptor BI associated with high HDL cholesterol in humans. Clin Genet. 2011;79:575-81 pubmed publisher..Our findings, combined with the prior report of a single mutation in the gene encoding SR-BI, further validate that mutations in SR-BI are a rare but recurring cause of elevated HDL-C in humans. ..
- Ikemoto M, Arai H, Feng D, Tanaka K, Aoki J, Dohmae N, et al. Identification of a PDZ-domain-containing protein that interacts with the scavenger receptor class B type I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:6538-43 pubmed
- Calvo D, Vega M. Identification, primary structure, and distribution of CLA-1, a novel member of the CD36/LIMPII gene family. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:18929-35 pubmed..Transient transfection experiments of a CD36-CLA-1 chimera, constructed by replacing the carboxyl cytoplasmic tail of CD36 for the carboxyl cytoplasmic tail of CLA-1, suggest that native CLA-1 protein is found on the plasma membrane. ..
- Murao K, Terpstra V, Green S, Kondratenko N, Steinberg D, Quehenberger O. Characterization of CLA-1, a human homologue of rodent scavenger receptor BI, as a receptor for high density lipoprotein and apoptotic thymocytes. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:17551-7 pubmed..An additional role in recognition of damaged cells is suggested by these studies. ..
- Vergeer M, Korporaal S, Franssen R, Meurs I, Out R, Hovingh G, et al. Genetic variant of the scavenger receptor BI in humans. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:136-45 pubmed publisher..Reduced SR-BI function was associated with altered platelet function and decreased adrenal steroidogenesis. (Funded by the European Community and others.). ..
- Constantineau J, Greason E, West M, Filbin M, Kieft J, Carletti M, et al. A synonymous variant in scavenger receptor, class B, type I gene is associated with lower SR-BI protein expression and function. Atherosclerosis. 2010;210:177-82 pubmed publisher..00001) was significantly lower in rs5888 cells. The rs5888 variant affected SR-BI RNA secondary structure, protein translation, and was significantly associated with reduced SR-BI protein expression and function in vitro. ..
- Yalaoui S, Huby T, Franetich J, Gego A, Rametti A, Moreau M, et al. Scavenger receptor BI boosts hepatocyte permissiveness to Plasmodium infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;4:283-92 pubmed publisher..These findings establish the mechanistic basis of the CD81-dependent Plasmodium sporozoite invasion pathway. ..
- Reboul E, Klein A, Bietrix F, Gleize B, Malezet Desmoulins C, Schneider M, et al. Scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) is involved in vitamin E transport across the enterocyte. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:4739-45 pubmed..7-fold higher in mice overexpressing SR-BI than in wild-type mice (p < 0.05). The present data show for the first time that vitamin E intestinal absorption is, at least in part, mediated by SR-BI. ..
- McCarthy J, Lehner T, Reeves C, Moliterno D, Newby L, Rogers W, et al. Association of genetic variants in the HDL receptor, SR-B1, with abnormal lipids in women with coronary artery disease. J Med Genet. 2003;40:453-8 pubmed
- Zeitz J, Most E, Eder K. Conjugated linoleic acid influences the metabolism of tocopherol in lactating rats but has little effect on tissue tocopherol concentrations in pups. Lipids Health Dis. 2016;15:102 pubmed publisher..This indicates that supplementation of CLA in pregnant and lactating animals is uncritical considering the tocopherol status of new-borns. ..
- Wu Y, Qiu J, Qian P, Wang Y. The vertical distribution of prokaryotes in the surface sediment of Jiaolong cold seep at the northern South China Sea. Extremophiles. 2018;22:499-510 pubmed publisher..sulfur oxidizer bacteria Sulfurimonas and archaeal methane consumer ANME-1, while sulfate reducer bacteria SEEP-SRB1, ANME-1 and ANME-2 dominated the bottom layers (8-14Â cm)...
- Pagler T, Rhode S, Neuhofer A, Laggner H, Strobl W, Hinterndorfer C, et al. SR-BI-mediated high density lipoprotein (HDL) endocytosis leads to HDL resecretion facilitating cholesterol efflux. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:11193-204 pubmed..Finally, we present evidence that HDL retroendocytosis represents one of the pathways for cholesterol efflux. ..
- Thuahnai S, Lund Katz S, Dhanasekaran P, de la Llera Moya M, Connelly M, Williams D, et al. Scavenger receptor class B type I-mediated cholesteryl ester-selective uptake and efflux of unesterified cholesterol. Influence of high density lipoprotein size and structure. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:12448-55 pubmed..FC efflux to HDL is affected both by binding of HDL to SR-BI and by the ability of the receptor to perturb the packing of FC molecules in the cell plasma membrane. ..
- Pilon A, Briand O, Lestavel S, Copin C, Majd Z, Fruchart J, et al. Apolipoprotein AII enrichment of HDL enhances their affinity for class B type I scavenger receptor but inhibits specific cholesteryl ester uptake. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000;20:1074-81 pubmed..These results demonstrate that in the human adrenal cell line expressing SR-BI as the major HDL binding protein, efficient apoAII binding has an inhibitory effect on the delivery of cholesteryl esters to cells. ..