Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PTGS2
Description: prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2
Alias: COX-2, COX2, GRIPGHS, PGG/HS, PGHS-2, PHS-2, hCox-2, prostaglandin G/H synthase 2, PGH synthase 2, PHS II, cyclooxygenase 2, cyclooxygenase 2b, prostaglandin H2 synthase 2, prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 (prostaglandin G/H synthase and cyclooxygenase)
Publications279 found, 100 shown here
- Bu X, Zhao C. The association between cyclooxygenase-2 1195 G/A polymorphism and hepatocellular carcinoma: evidence from a meta-analysis. Tumour Biol. 2013;34:1479-84 pubmed publisher..The evidence from the meta-analysis supports an association between COX-2 1195 G/A polymorphism and HCC risk in Asians. Further studies with large sample and careful design are needed to identify the possible association in Caucasians. ..
- Jiao G, Ren T, Lu Q, Sun Y, Lou Z, Peng X, et al. Prognostic significance of cyclooxygenase-2 in osteosarcoma: a meta-analysis. Tumour Biol. 2013;34:2489-95 pubmed publisher..741, 95 % CI 0.762-3.979, P = 0.188), but the difference was not significant. Therefore, this meta-analysis demonstrated that high COX-2 expression might be an unfavorable prognostic effect in osteosarcoma. ..
- Wang X, Huang M, Zhang X, Hua R, Guo W. COX-2-765G>C polymorphism increases the risk of cancer: a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73213 pubmed publisher..In summary, the COX-2-765 C allele was related to increased cancer susceptibility, especially gastric cancer and cancer in the Asian population. ..
- Chen S, Wu C, Lee Y, Tam K, Tsai Y, Liou J, et al. Caveolin-1 interacts with Derlin-1 and promotes ubiquitination and degradation of cyclooxygenase-2 via collaboration with p97 complex. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:33462-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we identified Cav-1 as a key player in Derlin-1- and p97-mediated cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) ubiquitination and degradation...
- Mohamed F, Hussein Y, El Deen I, Sabea M. Cyclooxygenase-2 single-nucleotide polymorphisms and hepatocellular carcinoma in Egypt. Mol Biol Rep. 2014;41:1461-8 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) has been suggested to be associated with hepatocarcinogenesis...
- Gharib A, Karam R, Abd El Rahman T, Elsawy W. COX-2 polymorphisms -765G?C and -1195A?G and hepatocellular carcinoma risk. Gene. 2014;543:234-6 pubmed publisher..37). The A allele was present significantly more often in HCC patients (OR 1.5; 95%CI, 1.05-2.14). In conclusion, our results demonstrated that the -1195AA genotype and A allele have an important role in HCC risk in Egyptian patients. ..
- Subbaram S, Lyons S, Svenson K, Hammond S, McCabe L, Chittur S, et al. Integrin ?3?1 controls mRNA splicing that determines Cox-2 mRNA stability in breast cancer cells. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:1179-89 pubmed publisher..The induction of cyclooxygenase 2 (Cox-2) by integrin ?3?1 in breast cancer cells can promote tumor progression...
- Barisik N, Bozkurt S, Gumus M, Kaygusuz I, Karadayi N, Bas E, et al. Expression and prognostic significance of Cox-2 and p-53 in Hodgkin lymphomas: a retrospective study. Diagn Pathol. 2010;5:19 pubmed publisher..However the difference between these two subtypes was not significant. This submission must be advocated by studies with large series. ..
- Vogel U, Christensen J, Wallin H, Friis S, Nexø B, Tjønneland A. Polymorphisms in COX-2, NSAID use and risk of basal cell carcinoma in a prospective study of Danes. Mutat Res. 2007;617:138-46 pubmed..While it cannot be ruled out that the present findings are due to chance, the results indicate that high COX-2 expression may increase risk of BCC while NSAID use may be protective. ..
- Surowiak P, Materna V, Matkowski R, Szczuraszek K, Kornafel J, Wojnar A, et al. Relationship between the expression of cyclooxygenase 2 and MDR1/P-glycoprotein in invasive breast cancers and their prognostic significance. Breast Cancer Res. 2005;7:R862-70 pubmedRecent reports suggest that expression of the cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) enzyme may up-regulate expression of MDR1/P-glycoprotein (MDR1/P-gp), an exponent of resistance to cytostatic drugs...
- Timoshenko A, Chakraborty C, Wagner G, Lala P. COX-2-mediated stimulation of the lymphangiogenic factor VEGF-C in human breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2006;94:1154-63 pubmed..These results, for the first time, demonstrate a regulatory role of COX-2 in VEGF-C synthesis (and thereby lymphangiogenesis) in human breast cancer, which is mediated at least in part by EP1/EP4 receptors. ..
- Antonacopoulou A, Tsamandas A, Petsas T, Liava A, Scopa C, Papavassiliou A, et al. EGFR, HER-2 and COX-2 levels in colorectal cancer. Histopathology. 2008;53:698-706 pubmed..Further investigation is required to evaluate the impact of these markers on the management of patients with colorectal cancer. ..
- Li F, Liu Y, Chen H, Liao D, Shen Y, Xu F, et al. EGFR and COX-2 protein expression in non-small cell lung cancer and the correlation with clinical features. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2011;30:27 pubmed publisher..555). COX-2 and EGFR are over-expressed in NSCLC. EGFR is an independent prognostic factor and a predictive factor for radiotherapy response in NSCLC. ..
- Jiang W, Douglas Jones A, Mansel R. Levels of expression of lipoxygenases and cyclooxygenase-2 in human breast cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2003;69:275-81 pubmed
- Sakaki M, Makino R, Hiroishi K, Ueda K, Eguchi J, Hiraide A, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 gene promoter polymorphisms affect susceptibility to hepatitis C virus infection and disease progression. Hepatol Res. 2010;40:1219-26 pubmed publisher..However, once chronic infection is established, the -443TT genotype of the OPN promoter region and the -1195GG genotype of the COX-2 promoter are thought to promote inflammation and contribute to the progression of liver disease. ..
- Denkert C, Winzer K, Müller B, Weichert W, Pest S, Köbel M, et al. Elevated expression of cyclooxygenase-2 is a negative prognostic factor for disease free survival and overall survival in patients with breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2003;97:2978-87 pubmed..It remains to be investigated whether treatment with selective inhibitors of COX-2 may be an additional therapeutic option for patients with breast carcinoma. ..
- Boland G, Butt I, Prasad R, Knox W, Bundred N. COX-2 expression is associated with an aggressive phenotype in ductal carcinoma in situ. Br J Cancer. 2004;90:423-9 pubmed..Cyclooxygenase type-2 inhibition may potentially prevent the development of ER-positive and ER-negative breast cancers. ..
- Kwagyan J, Apprey V, Ashktorab H. Linkage disequilibrium and haplotype analysis of COX-2 and risk of colorectal adenoma development. Clin Transl Sci. 2012;5:60-4 pubmed publisher..Besides, these variations should be taken into account for disease-based association studies in which the COX-2 polymorphism is considered as a candidate gene. Clin Trans Sci 2012; Volume 5: 60-64...
- Koch A, Gustafsson B, Fohlin H, Sörenson S. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in lung cancer cells evaluated by immunocytochemistry. Diagn Cytopathol. 2011;39:188-93 pubmed publisher..There is a great variation in the proportion of COX-2-positive cells among patients and in the intensity of staining among individual cells in many single cases. ..
- Ballif B, Mincek N, Barratt J, Wilson M, Simmons D. Interaction of cyclooxygenases with an apoptosis- and autoimmunity-associated protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:5544-9 pubmed..It also identifies Nuc as a potential regulator of COXs through this interaction. ..
- Denkert C, Weichert W, Pest S, Koch I, Licht D, Köbel M, et al. Overexpression of the embryonic-lethal abnormal vision-like protein HuR in ovarian carcinoma is a prognostic factor and is associated with increased cyclooxygenase 2 expression. Cancer Res. 2004;64:189-95 pubmed..In addition, it would be interesting to investigate the prognostic role of increased cytoplasmic expression of HuR in prospective studies. ..
- Hedelin M, Chang E, Wiklund F, Bellocco R, Klint A, Adolfsson J, et al. Association of frequent consumption of fatty fish with prostate cancer risk is modified by COX-2 polymorphism. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:398-405 pubmed..Frequent consumption of fatty fish and marine fatty acids appears to reduce the risk of prostate cancer, and this association is modified by genetic variation in the COX-2 gene. ..
- Sitarz R, Leguit R, de Leng W, Polak M, Morsink F, Bakker O, et al. The COX-2 promoter polymorphism -765 G>C is associated with early-onset, conventional and stump gastric cancers. Mod Pathol. 2008;21:685-90 pubmed publisher..Although early-onset gastric cancers appear to have a unique COX-2 expression pattern when compared with conventional gastric cancer, the exact mechanism by which this occurs is yet to be elucidated. ..
- Hamaya Y, Yoshida K, Takai T, Ikuma M, Hishida A, Kanaoka S. Factors that contribute to faecal cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA expression in subjects with colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2010;102:916-21 pubmed publisher..COX-2 mRNA expression in faeces seems to originate from tumour lesion and to be affected by factors such as the number of exfoliated cells, exfoliation of inflammatory cells, COX-2 mRNA expression in tumour, and tumour size. ..
- Kyzas P, Stefanou D, Agnantis N. COX-2 expression correlates with VEGF-C and lymph node metastases in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Mod Pathol. 2005;18:153-60 pubmed..Also, the predictive ability for mortality of regional lymph node metastasis can be improved with the combined evaluation of the immunohistochemical expression of these two proteins. ..
- Cressey R, Pimpa S, Tontrong W, Watananupong O, Leartprasertsuke N. Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in colorectal adenocarcinoma is associated with p53 accumulation and hdm2 overexpression. Cancer Lett. 2006;233:232-9 pubmed..Although mutation of p53 has been previously reported to be associated with COX-2 induction, to our knowledge, this is the first study to show the relationship between HDM2 overexpression and COX-2 overexpression. ..
- Loukanov T, Kirilov M, Furstenberger G, Muller Decker K. Localization of cyclo-oxygenase-2 in human recurrent colorectal cancer. Clin Invest Med. 2010;33:E22-9 pubmed..These observations give additional information about the possibility that COX-2 could be involved in tumor promotion during colorectal cancer progression. ..
- Glynn S, Prueitt R, Ridnour L, Boersma B, Dorsey T, Wink D, et al. COX-2 activation is associated with Akt phosphorylation and poor survival in ER-negative, HER2-positive breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:626 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that COX-2-specific inhibitors and inhibitors of the Akt pathway may act synergistically as anticancer drugs in the ER-negative and HER2-positive breast cancer subtype. ..
- Sinicrope F, Gill S. Role of cyclooxygenase-2 in colorectal cancer. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2004;23:63-75 pubmed..Additionally, evidence supporting the role of NSAIDs and selective COX-2 inhibitors for the prevention and treatment of human colorectal cancer is reviewed. ..
- Sansbury L, Millikan R, Schroeder J, North K, Moorman P, Keku T, et al. COX-2 polymorphism, use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and risk of colon cancer in African Americans (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2006;17:257-66 pubmed
- Strillacci A, Griffoni C, Sansone P, Paterini P, Piazzi G, Lazzarini G, et al. MiR-101 downregulation is involved in cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression in human colon cancer cells. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:1439-47 pubmed publisher..An impairment of miR-101 levels could represent one of the leading causes of COX-2 overexpression in colon cancer cells. ..
- Schwartzbaum J, Ahlbom A, Malmer B, Lonn S, Brookes A, Doss H, et al. Polymorphisms associated with asthma are inversely related to glioblastoma multiforme. Cancer Res. 2005;65:6459-65 pubmed..However, our findings are also consistent with associations between IL-4RA, IL-13, and GBM that are independent of their role in allergic conditions. ..
- Mohan A, Sooranna S, Lindstrom T, Johnson M, Bennett P. The effect of mechanical stretch on cyclooxygenase type 2 expression and activator protein-1 and nuclear factor-kappaB activity in human amnion cells. Endocrinology. 2007;148:1850-7 pubmed..Stretch of the amnion may contribute to increased expression of COX-2- and other AP-1- and NF-kappaB-regulated genes with the onset of labor in the human. ..
- Ogino S, Kirkner G, Nosho K, Irahara N, Kure S, Shima K, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is an independent predictor of poor prognosis in colon cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:8221-7 pubmed publisherCyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2; PTGS2) is considered to play an important role in colorectal carcinogenesis and is often up-regulated in colon cancers...
- Wild P, Kunz Schughart L, Stoehr R, Burger M, Blaszyk H, Simon R, et al. High-throughput tissue microarray analysis of COX2 expression in urinary bladder cancer. Int J Oncol. 2005;27:385-91 pubmedTo investigate whether protein expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX2) is associated with tumor phenotype, immunohistochemical alterations, and clinical outcome in urinary bladder cancer (BC)...
- Ferrandina G, Lauriola L, Distefano M, Zannoni G, Gessi M, Legge F, et al. Increased cyclooxygenase-2 expression is associated with chemotherapy resistance and poor survival in cervical cancer patients. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20:973-81 pubmed..The assessment of COX-2 status could provide additional information to identify patients with cervical cancer with a poor chance of response to neoadjuvant treatment and unfavorable prognosis. ..
- Grimminger P, Stöhlmacher J, Vallbohmer D, Schneider P, Holscher A, Metzger R, et al. Prognostic Significance and Clinicopathological Associations of COX-2 SNP in Patients with Nonsmall Cell Lung Cancer. J Oncol. 2009;2009:139590 pubmed publisher..The results suggest COX-2 926G>C SNP as a molecular marker for lymph node involvement in this disease. ..
- Brosens L, Iacobuzio Donahue C, Keller J, Hustinx S, Carvalho R, Morsink F, et al. Increased cyclooxygenase-2 expression in duodenal compared with colonic tissues in familial adenomatous polyposis and relationship to the -765G -> C COX-2 polymorphism. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:4090-6 pubmed..As a result, duodenal adenocarcinoma has become a leading cause of death in patients with FAP. Cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) inhibition is effective against colorectal polyposis in FAP, but is less effective in treating ..
- Polydorides A, Kalish R, Witkin S, Baergen R. A fetal cyclooxygenase-2 gene polymorphism is associated with placental malperfusion. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2007;26:284-90 pubmed..Thus, a fetal polymorphism in the COX-2 gene influences the occurrence of placental malperfusion and ischemia, which may be of sufficient severity to promote or allow the development of IUGR. ..
- Xu K, Shu H. EGFR activation results in enhanced cyclooxygenase-2 expression through p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent activation of the Sp1/Sp3 transcription factors in human gliomas. Cancer Res. 2007;67:6121-9 pubmed
- Badawi A, Habib S, Mohammed M, Abadi A, Michael M. Influence of cigarette smoking on prostaglandin synthesis and cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression in human urinary bladder cancer. Cancer Invest. 2002;20:651-6 pubmed
- Sawaoka H, Dixon D, Oates J, Boutaud O. Tristetraprolin binds to the 3'-untranslated region of cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA. A polyadenylation variant in a cancer cell line lacks the binding site. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:13928-35 pubmed..However, the truncated transcript escaped tristetraprolin binding and downregulation. ..
- Matsubayashi H, Infante J, Winter J, Klein A, Schulick R, Hruban R, et al. Tumor COX-2 expression and prognosis of patients with resectable pancreatic cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007;6:1569-75 pubmed..52 (95% CI 1.04-2.22) versus 1.11 (95% CI 0.75-1.67) in cancers <3 cm. Tumor COX-2 expression portends a poor prognosis for patients with resected adenocarcinoma of the pancreas, particularly in tumors > or =3 cm. ..
- Upadhyay R, Jain M, Kumar S, Ghoshal U, Mittal B. Functional polymorphisms of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) gene and risk for esophageal squmaous cell carcinoma. Mutat Res. 2009;663:52-9 pubmed publisher..Interaction of COX-2 -1195GA and -765C carrier genotypes also modulates ESCC risk. ..
- Andersen V, Ostergaard M, Christensen J, Overvad K, Tjønneland A, Vogel U. Polymorphisms in the xenobiotic transporter Multidrug Resistance 1 (MDR1) and interaction with meat intake in relation to risk of colorectal cancer in a Danish prospective case-cohort study. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:407 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MDR1 polymorphisms affect the relationship between meat and CRC risk. ..
- Liu F, He Y, Peng X, Wang W, Yang X. Association of the 8473T>C cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) gene polymorphism with lung cancer risk in Asians. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2010;11:1257-62 pubmed..54, 95% CI=0.31 to 0.95) stratified by pathological type. Our results suggest the COX-2 gene is a factor for suffering from lung cancer, especially of small cell type among Asians. ..
- Sackett M, Bairati I, Meyer F, Jobin E, Lussier S, Fortin A, et al. Prognostic significance of cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression in glottic cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:67-73 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to explain observed effects on SPC. COX-2 expression may prove helpful in defining an individual patient's prognosis. ..
- Niesporek S, Kristiansen G, Thoma A, Weichert W, Noske A, Buckendahl A, et al. Expression of the ELAV-like protein HuR in human prostate carcinoma is an indicator of disease relapse and linked to COX-2 expression. Int J Oncol. 2008;32:341-7 pubmed..Our results point to a potential prognostic role of HuR expression in prostate cancer diagnostics and propose HuR as a future therapeutic target in prostate cancer therapy. ..
- Kim E, Raval A, Perez Pinzon M. Preconditioning mediated by sublethal oxygen-glucose deprivation-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression via the signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 phosphorylation. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2008;28:1329-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings suggest that PC signaling cascade involves STAT3 activation after varepsilonPKC and ERK1/2 activation. Finally, we show that STAT3 activation mediates COX-2 expression and ischemic tolerance. ..
- Sonoda R, Naomoto Y, Shirakawa Y, Fujiwara Y, Yamatsuji T, Noma K, et al. Preferential up-regulation of heparanase and cyclooxygenase-2 in carcinogenesis of Barrett's oesophagus and intestinal-type gastric carcinoma. Histopathology. 2010;57:90-100 pubmed publisher..HPSE and COX-2 are preferentially up-regulated in Barrett's oesophagus and intestinal-type GC. These molecules may play an important role during the development of inflammation-related adenocarcinoma of the upper gastrointestinal tract. ..
- Miladi Abdennadher I, Abdelmaksoud Dammak R, Ayed Guerfali D, Ayadi L, Khabir A, Amouri A, et al. Expression of COX-2 and E-cadherin in Tunisian patients with colorectal adenocarcinoma. Acta Histochem. 2012;114:577-81 pubmed publisher..006), and in an advanced stage (P=0.001). Survival analysis showed that COX-2 over-expression confers a reduced overall survival rate (Plog rank=0.036) and is an independent factor predictive for prognosis. ..
- He J, Zhang Q, Ren Z, Li Y, Li X, Zhou W, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 -765 G/C polymorphisms and susceptibility to hepatitis B-related liver cancer in Han Chinese population. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:4163-8 pubmed publisher..COX-2 -765 C allele genotype, drinking history and family history of liver cancer may increase the susceptibility to hepatitis B-related liver cancer in Gansu province, China. ..
- Kang S, Kim Y, Kim M, Yoon K, Kim J, Park N, et al. Polymorphism in the nuclear factor kappa-B binding promoter region of cyclooxygenase-2 is associated with an increased risk of bladder cancer. Cancer Lett. 2005;217:11-6 pubmed..Further research is needed to investigate the functional implications of the polymorphisms of the COX-2 promoter gene in human cancer. ..
- Mbonye U, Wada M, Rieke C, Tang H, DeWitt D, Smith W. The 19-amino acid cassette of cyclooxygenase-2 mediates entry of the protein into the endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation system. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:35770-8 pubmed..Finally, kifunensine, a mannosidase inhibitor that can block entry of ER proteins into the ER-associated degradation system, retards COX-2 degradation. ..
- Tong X, Yin L, Joshi S, Rosenberg D, Giardina C. Cyclooxygenase-2 regulation in colon cancer cells: modulation of RNA polymerase II elongation by histone deacetylase inhibitors. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:15503-9 pubmed..We propose that histone deacetylases regulate a transcriptional block on the Cox-2 and c-myc genes and that this block may be a potential target for pharmacological intervention. ..
- Gustafsson A, Hansson E, Kressner U, Nordgren S, Andersson M, Wang W, et al. EP1-4 subtype, COX and PPAR gamma receptor expression in colorectal cancer in prediction of disease-specific mortality. Int J Cancer. 2007;121:232-40 pubmed..Our results imply that both prostaglandin production (COX-2) and signaling via EP(1-4) subtype receptors, particularly EP(2), predict disease-specific mortality in colorectal cancer. ..
- Chen S, Liou J, Huang T, Lin Y, Yeh A, Tam K, et al. Caveolin-1 facilitates cyclooxygenase-2 protein degradation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;109:356-62 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a novel function of Cav-1 in controlling COX-2 expression, which may regulate physiological functions and have tumor suppression effects. ..
- Hla T, Neilson K. Human cyclooxygenase-2 cDNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:7384-8 pubmed..High-level induction of the hCox-2 transcript in mesenchymal-derived inflammatory cells suggests a role in inflammatory conditions. ..
- Kohsaka S, Volcik K, Folsom A, Wu K, Ballantyne C, Willerson J, et al. Increased risk of incident stroke associated with the cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) G-765C polymorphism in African-Americans: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Atherosclerosis. 2008;196:926-30 pubmed..This study provides additional evidence for utilizing inflammation-related genetic polymorphisms for identifying individuals at increased risk for stroke. ..
- Liu X, Kirschenbaum A, Lu M, Yao S, Dosoretz A, Holland J, et al. Prostaglandin E2 induces hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha stabilization and nuclear localization in a human prostate cancer cell line. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:50081-6 pubmed
- Yamac D, Celenkoglu G, Coskun U, Akyurek N, Akcali Z, Dursun A, et al. Prognostic importance of COX-2 expression in patients with colorectal cancer. Pathol Res Pract. 2005;201:497-502 pubmed..In the multivariate analysis, COX-2 expression was not found as an independent prognostic factor. We demonstrated that COX-2 expression was not correlated with clinicopathological characteristics of colon carcinoma and disease outcome. ..
- Pan J, Han J, Wu J, Sheng L, Huang H, Yu Q. MDR1 single nucleotide polymorphisms predict response to vinorelbine-based chemotherapy in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Respiration. 2008;75:380-5 pubmed..Our findings suggest that MDR1 2677G-->T/A and 3435C-->T polymorphisms can be used to predict treatment response to VC chemotherapy in NSCLC patients. ..
- Llorente Izquierdo C, Mayoral R, Flores J, Garcia Palencia P, Cucarella C, Bosca L, et al. Transgenic mice expressing cyclooxygenase-2 in hepatocytes reveal a minor contribution of this enzyme to chemical hepatocarcinogenesis. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:1361-73 pubmed publisher..Endogenous COX-2 expression in wild-type mice is a late event in the development of hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Chu J, Lloyd F, Trifan O, Knapp B, Rizzo M. Potential involvement of the cyclooxygenase-2 pathway in the regulation of tumor-associated angiogenesis and growth in pancreatic cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2003;2:1-7 pubmed
- Pereira C, Sousa H, Ferreira P, Fragoso M, Moreira Dias L, Lopes C, et al. -765G > C COX-2 polymorphism may be a susceptibility marker for gastric adenocarcinoma in patients with atrophy or intestinal metaplasia. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:5473-8 pubmed..67, 95% CI = 1.03-6.93; P = 0.04). -765C carrier status should be considered as another susceptibility marker for gastric adenocarcinoma development in patients with atrophy or intestinal metaplasia. ..
- Ogino S, Brahmandam M, Kawasaki T, Kirkner G, Loda M, Fuchs C. Combined analysis of COX-2 and p53 expressions reveals synergistic inverse correlations with microsatellite instability and CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancer. Neoplasia. 2006;8:458-64 pubmed..Our data suggest that a combined analysis of COX-2 and p53 may be more useful for the molecular classification of colorectal cancer than either COX-2 or p53 analysis alone. ..
- Loo W, Wang M, Jin L, Cheung M, Li G. Association of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-1, MMP-3 and MMP-9) and cyclooxygenase-2 gene polymorphisms and their proteins with chronic periodontitis. Arch Oral Biol. 2011;56:1081-90 pubmed publisher..Combine genotype and serum expression of inflammatory mediators that may be a good bio-marker for diagnosis and prognosis of the periodontitis. ..
- Coward W, Watts K, Feghali Bostwick C, Knox A, Pang L. Defective histone acetylation is responsible for the diminished expression of cyclooxygenase 2 in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4325-39 pubmed publisherDiminished cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) expression in fibroblasts, with a resultant defect in the production of the antifibrotic mediator prostaglandin E(2), plays a key role in the pathogenesis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF)...
- Spizzo G, Gastl G, Wolf D, Gunsilius E, Steurer M, Fong D, et al. Correlation of COX-2 and Ep-CAM overexpression in human invasive breast cancer and its impact on survival. Br J Cancer. 2003;88:574-8 pubmedRecent studies have demonstrated cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) overexpression in various human malignancies, especially in breast cancer, where COX-2 turned out to be a predictor of poor survival...
- Yan M, Rerko R, Platzer P, Dawson D, Willis J, Tong M, et al. 15-Hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase, a COX-2 oncogene antagonist, is a TGF-beta-induced suppressor of human gastrointestinal cancers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17468-73 pubmedMarked increased expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), a prostaglandin-synthesizing enzyme that is pharmacologically inhibited by nonsteroid anti-inflammatory-type drugs, is a major early oncogenic event in the genesis of human colon ..
- Crowell P, Schmidt C, Yip Schneider M, Savage J, Hertzler D, Cummings W. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in hamster and human pancreatic neoplasia. Neoplasia. 2006;8:437-45 pubmed..The BOP-induced hamster carcinogenesis model is a representative model used to study the role of COX-2 in well-differentiated pancreatic tumorigenesis. COX inhibitors may have a role in preventing tumor engraftment/formation. ..
- Yang C, Sorokin A. Upregulation of fibronectin expression by COX-2 is mediated by interaction with ELMO1. Cell Signal. 2011;23:99-104 pubmed publisher..The interaction of ELMO1 with COX-2 could play an important role in the development and progression of renal glomerular injury. ..
- Takaoka K, Kishimoto H, Segawa E, Hashitani S, Zushi Y, Noguchi K, et al. Elevated cell migration, invasion and tumorigenicity in human KB carcinoma cells transfected with COX-2 cDNA. Int J Oncol. 2006;29:1095-101 pubmed..These results indicated that overexpression of COX-2 elevated tumorigenicity, tumor growth and invasion of human KB carcinoma cells via up-regulated MMP and Rho family small GTPases and down-regulated TIMP activities. ..
- Vogel U, Segel S, Dethlefsen C, Tjønneland A, Saber A, Wallin H, et al. Associations between COX-2 polymorphisms, blood cholesterol and risk of acute coronary syndrome. Atherosclerosis. 2010;209:155-62 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to investigate if the polymorphisms COX2 T8473C (rs5275), and COX2 A-1195G (rs689466), which modify the enzyme levels of COX-2, were associated with risk of ..
- Brasky T, Bonner M, Moysich K, Ochs Balcom H, Marian C, Ambrosone C, et al. Genetic variants in COX-2, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and breast cancer risk: the Western New York Exposures and Breast Cancer (WEB) Study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011;126:157-65 pubmed publisher..Better understanding of the role of COX-2 genetic variation and interaction with NSAID use in breast carcinogenesis has potential to inform prevention strategies. ..
- Peters W, Te Morsche R, Roelofs H, Mathus Vliegen E, Berkhout M, Nagengast F. COX-2 polymorphisms in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis. Oncol Res. 2009;17:347-51 pubmed..The predicted low COX-2 expression genotype -1195GG was found overrepresented in the patients with FAP. The COX-2 genotypes showed no association with the severity of duodenal adenomatosis. ..
- Liu C, Hsia T, Wang R, Tsai C, Chu C, Hang L, et al. Interaction of cyclooxygenase 2 genotype and smoking habit in Taiwanese lung cancer patients. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:1195-9 pubmedThe aim of this study was to evaluate the association and interaction of genotypic polymorphisms in the cyclooxygenase 2 (Cox-2) gene with smoking habits with lung cancer patients in Taiwan...
- Mittal M, Kapoor V, Mohanti B, Das S. Functional variants of COX-2 and risk of tobacco-related oral squamous cell carcinoma in high-risk Asian Indians. Oral Oncol. 2010;46:622-6 pubmed publisher..Results of the present study indicate that these three functional variants in the COX-2 regulatory region may contribute to risk modification of tobacco-related oral squamous cell carcinoma in Asian Indians. ..
- Soumaoro L, Uetake H, Takagi Y, Iida S, Higuchi T, Yasuno M, et al. Coexpression of VEGF-C and Cox-2 in human colorectal cancer and its association with lymph node metastasis. Dis Colon Rectum. 2006;49:392-8 pubmed..046-8.994). These data show that in human colorectal carcinoma, vascular endothelial growth factor-C and cyclooxygenase-2 are coexpressed and significantly associated with lymph node metastasis and prognosis. ..
- Xiang Z, Ho L, Yemul S, Zhao Z, Qing W, Pompl P, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 promotes amyloid plaque deposition in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease neuropathology. Gene Expr. 2002;10:271-8 pubmed..Collectively these data suggest that COX-2 influences APP processing and promotes amyloidosis in the brain. ..
- Cao H, Xu Z, Long H, Li X, Li S. The -765C allele of the cyclooxygenase-2 gene as a potential risk factor of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2010;222:15-21 pubmed..Human colorectal carcinogenesis is a complex, multistep and multigenetic process. Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2), a key enzyme in arachidonic acid metabolism, is overexpressed in several epithelial malignancies including ..
- Nuñez F, Bravo S, Cruzat F, Montecino M, De Ferrari G. Wnt/?-catenin signaling enhances cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2) transcriptional activity in gastric cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18562 pubmed publisherIncreased expression of the cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme (COX2) is one of the main characteristics of gastric cancer (GC), which is a leading cause of death in the world, particularly in Asia and South America...