Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PTGS2
Description: prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2
Alias: COX-2, COX2, GRIPGHS, PGG/HS, PGHS-2, PHS-2, hCox-2, prostaglandin G/H synthase 2, PGH synthase 2, PHS II, cyclooxygenase 2, cyclooxygenase 2b, prostaglandin H2 synthase 2, prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 (prostaglandin G/H synthase and cyclooxygenase)
Publications103 found, 100 shown here
- Zhao D, Xu D, Zhang X, Wang L, Tan W, Guo Y, et al. Interaction of cyclooxygenase-2 variants and smoking in pancreatic cancer: a possible role of nucleophosmin. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:1659-68 pubmed..Functional COX-2 polymorphisms are associated with susceptibility to pancreatic cancer and tobacco smoke specifically increases -765C promoter activity, which might be mediated by p-NPM. ..
- Yamauchi M, Lochhead P, Imamura Y, Kuchiba A, Liao X, Qian Z, et al. Physical activity, tumor PTGS2 expression, and survival in patients with colorectal cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013;22:1142-52 pubmed publisher..catenin) or CDKN1B (p27) status on colon cancer prognosis, interactive effects of physical activity and tumor PTGS2 (the official symbol for COX-2) status on clinical outcome remain unknown...
- Parfenova H, Parfenov V, Shlopov B, Levine V, Falkos S, Pourcyrous M, et al. Dynamics of nuclear localization sites for COX-2 in vascular endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001;281:C166-78 pubmed..COX-2 nuclear localization sites and trafficking between the nucleus and the cytoplasm in endothelial cells may indicate a novel function of COX-2 in regulating gene expression...
- Zhang H, Xu Y, Zhang Z, Li L. Meta-analysis of epidemiological studies demonstrates significant association of PTGS2 polymorphism rs689470 and no significant association of rs20417 with prostate cancer. Genet Mol Res. 2012;11:1642-50 pubmed publisher..Two common polymorphisms in the prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 (PTGS2) gene, rs20417 and rs689470, have been found to alter the risk for prostate cancer, but the various studies are ..
- Dhakal H, Naume B, Synnestvedt M, Borgen E, Kaaresen R, Schlichting E, et al. Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in invasive breast carcinomas and its prognostic impact. Histol Histopathol. 2012;27:1315-25 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, COX-2 expression in this series was associated with the presence of hormone receptors. Low COX-2 expression was observed in triple-negative breast carcinomas. ..
- Shao N, Feng N, Wang Y, Mi Y, Li T, Hua L. Systematic review and meta-analysis of COX-2 expression and polymorphisms in prostate cancer. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:10997-1004 pubmed publisher..0001). COX-2 might play an important role in the progress of PCa, overexpression of COX-2 correlates with T3-T4 stages of PCa. COX-2 might be a potential therapy target for PCa and work as a prognostic factor for PCa patients. ..
- Bu X, Zhao C. The association between cyclooxygenase-2 1195 G/A polymorphism and hepatocellular carcinoma: evidence from a meta-analysis. Tumour Biol. 2013;34:1479-84 pubmed publisher..The evidence from the meta-analysis supports an association between COX-2 1195 G/A polymorphism and HCC risk in Asians. Further studies with large sample and careful design are needed to identify the possible association in Caucasians. ..
- Jiao G, Ren T, Lu Q, Sun Y, Lou Z, Peng X, et al. Prognostic significance of cyclooxygenase-2 in osteosarcoma: a meta-analysis. Tumour Biol. 2013;34:2489-95 pubmed publisher..741, 95 % CI 0.762-3.979, P = 0.188), but the difference was not significant. Therefore, this meta-analysis demonstrated that high COX-2 expression might be an unfavorable prognostic effect in osteosarcoma. ..
- Wang X, Huang M, Zhang X, Hua R, Guo W. COX-2-765G>C polymorphism increases the risk of cancer: a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73213 pubmed publisher..In summary, the COX-2-765 C allele was related to increased cancer susceptibility, especially gastric cancer and cancer in the Asian population. ..
- Chen S, Wu C, Lee Y, Tam K, Tsai Y, Liou J, et al. Caveolin-1 interacts with Derlin-1 and promotes ubiquitination and degradation of cyclooxygenase-2 via collaboration with p97 complex. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:33462-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we identified Cav-1 as a key player in Derlin-1- and p97-mediated cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) ubiquitination and degradation...
- Mohamed F, Hussein Y, El Deen I, Sabea M. Cyclooxygenase-2 single-nucleotide polymorphisms and hepatocellular carcinoma in Egypt. Mol Biol Rep. 2014;41:1461-8 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) has been suggested to be associated with hepatocarcinogenesis...
- Gharib A, Karam R, Abd El Rahman T, Elsawy W. COX-2 polymorphisms -765G?C and -1195A?G and hepatocellular carcinoma risk. Gene. 2014;543:234-6 pubmed publisher..37). The A allele was present significantly more often in HCC patients (OR 1.5; 95%CI, 1.05-2.14). In conclusion, our results demonstrated that the -1195AA genotype and A allele have an important role in HCC risk in Egyptian patients. ..
- Subbaram S, Lyons S, Svenson K, Hammond S, McCabe L, Chittur S, et al. Integrin ?3?1 controls mRNA splicing that determines Cox-2 mRNA stability in breast cancer cells. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:1179-89 pubmed publisher..The induction of cyclooxygenase 2 (Cox-2) by integrin ?3?1 in breast cancer cells can promote tumor progression...
- Shanmugam N, Gaw Gonzalo I, Natarajan R. Molecular mechanisms of high glucose-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression in monocytes. Diabetes. 2004;53:795-802 pubmed..These results show that high glucose and diabetes can augment inflammatory responses by upregulating COX-2 via multiple signaling pathways, leading to monocyte activation relevant to the pathogenesis of diabetes complications. ..
- Martey C, Pollock S, Turner C, O Reilly K, Baglole C, Phipps R, et al. Cigarette smoke induces cyclooxygenase-2 and microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase in human lung fibroblasts: implications for lung inflammation and cancer. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;287:L981-91 pubmed..This chronic inflammatory state may act as one of the first steps towards epithelial transformation. ..
- Tan W, Wu J, Zhang X, Guo Y, Liu J, Sun T, et al. Associations of functional polymorphisms in cyclooxygenase-2 and platelet 12-lipoxygenase with risk of occurrence and advanced disease status of colorectal cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:1197-201 pubmed..38, 95% CI = 1.09-1.74). Together, these observations indicate that inherited polymorphisms in arachidonic acid-metabolizing enzymes may confer susceptibility to CRC. ..
- Branski R, Zhou H, Sandulache V, Chen J, Felsen D, Kraus D. Cyclooxygenase-2 signaling in vocal fold fibroblasts. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:1826-31 pubmed publisher..We purport this fundamental investigation will lead to increased insight regarding injury and repair in the vocal folds, with the ultimate goal of developing novel clinical care paradigms. ..
- Hall Pogar T, Zhang H, Tian B, Lutz C. Alternative polyadenylation of cyclooxygenase-2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:2565-79 pubmed..5-fold. Our data suggest for the first time that alternative polyadenylation of COX-2 is an important post-transcriptional regulatory event. ..
- Hasturk S, Kemp B, Kalapurakal S, Kurie J, Hong W, Lee J. Expression of cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2 in bronchial epithelium and nonsmall cell lung carcinoma. Cancer. 2002;94:1023-31 pubmed..its utility as an intermediate biomarker in bronchial chemoprevention trials, the authors examined Cox 1 and Cox 2 expression in normal and premalignant bronchial epithelial cells and nonsmall cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) samples ..
- Lara Pezzi E, Gomez Gaviro M, Galvez B, Mira E, Iñiguez M, Fresno M, et al. The hepatitis B virus X protein promotes tumor cell invasion by inducing membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2 expression. J Clin Invest. 2002;110:1831-8 pubmed
- Campa D, Zienolddiny S, Maggini V, Skaug V, Haugen A, Canzian F. Association of a common polymorphism in the cyclooxygenase 2 gene with risk of non-small cell lung cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2004;25:229-35 pubmed..were genotyped for polymorphisms of the inflammation-related genes prostaglandin synthase-2/cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2/PTGS2), interleukin-6 (IL6), interleukin-8 (IL8) and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARg)...
- Nosho K, Yoshida M, Yamamoto H, Taniguchi H, Adachi Y, Mikami M, et al. Association of Ets-related transcriptional factor E1AF expression with overexpression of matrix metalloproteinases, COX-2 and iNOS in the early stage of colorectal carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis. 2005;26:892-9 pubmed..The results suggest that E1AF, in conjunction with the expression of MMP-1, MMP-7, COX-2 and iNOS, plays an important role in the early stage of colorectal carcinogenesis. ..
- Gupta G, Nguyen D, Chiang A, Bos P, Kim J, Nadal C, et al. Mediators of vascular remodelling co-opted for sequential steps in lung metastasis. Nature. 2007;446:765-70 pubmed..pharmacological approaches, we show that the epidermal growth factor receptor ligand epiregulin, the cyclooxygenase COX2, and the matrix metalloproteinases 1 and 2, when expressed in human breast cancer cells, collectively facilitate ..
- Kawasaki T, Nosho K, Ohnishi M, Suemoto Y, Glickman J, Chan A, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression is common in serrated and non-serrated colorectal adenoma, but uncommon in hyperplastic polyp and sessile serrated polyp/adenoma. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:33 pubmed publisherCyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2, PTGS2) plays an important role in colorectal carcinogenesis. COX-2 overexpression in colorectal cancer is inversely associated with microsatellite instability (MSI) and the CpG island methylator phenotype (CIMP)...
- Kim J, Chae Y, Sohn S, Moon J, Ryoo H, Bae S, et al. Prostaglandin synthase 2/cyclooxygenase 2 (PTGS2/COX2) 8473T>C polymorphism associated with prognosis for patients with colorectal cancer treated with capecitabine and oxaliplatin. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2009;64:953-60 pubmed publisher..The single nucleotide polymorphisms of 15 apoptosis-related genes (TP53, BCL2L, TNFRSF10B, AKT1, PTGS2/COX2, BID, RIPK1, FAS, FASL, caspase 3, and caspase 6-10) were determined using a PCR-RFLP assay...
- Deng W, Zhu Y, Wu K. Role of p300 and PCAF in regulating cyclooxygenase-2 promoter activation by inflammatory mediators. Blood. 2004;103:2135-42 pubmed..We conclude that p300 is the predominant coactivator that is essential for COX-2 transcriptional activation by proinflammatory mediators. ..
- Corcoran C, He Q, Huang Y, Sheikh M. Cyclooxygenase-2 interacts with p53 and interferes with p53-dependent transcription and apoptosis. Oncogene. 2005;24:1634-40 pubmed..Based on our results, we propose that p53-dependent upregulation and activation of COX-2 appear to be yet another novel mechanism by which p53 could abate its own growth-inhibitory and apoptotic effects. ..
- Huang S, Wu M, Shun C, Wang H, Hsieh C, Kuo M, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 increases hypoxia-inducible factor-1 and vascular endothelial growth factor to promote angiogenesis in gastric carcinoma. J Biomed Sci. 2005;12:229-41 pubmed..Our work supports the COX-2/PGE2/HIF-1alpha/VEGF pathway possibly contributing to tumor angiogenesis in GC. ..
- Al Salihi M, Ulmer S, Doan T, Nelson C, Crotty T, Prescott S, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 transactivates the epidermal growth factor receptor through specific E-prostanoid receptors and tumor necrosis factor-alpha converting enzyme. Cell Signal. 2007;19:1956-63 pubmed..Consistent with this, inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 reduced growth of epidermal growth factor receptor over-expressing MCF-10A breast epithelial cells in three-dimensional culture. ..
- Yu J, Wu C, Chu E, Hui A, Cheng A, Go M, et al. Elucidation of the role of COX-2 in liver fibrogenesis using transgenic mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;372:571-7 pubmed publisher..This is the first report on the effect of COX-2 in liver fibrosis based on genetic mouse models. The results suggest that COX-2 does not appear to mediate the development of liver fibrosis. ..
- Koga Y, Yasunaga M, Moriya Y, Akasu T, Fujita S, Yamamoto S, et al. Detection of colorectal cancer cells from feces using quantitative real-time RT-PCR for colorectal cancer diagnosis. Cancer Sci. 2008;99:1977-83 pubmed publisher..Messenger RNA expressions of CEA, MMP7, MYBL2, PTGS2 and TP53 in the colonocytes isolated from feces were analyzed by quantitative real-time RT-PCR...
- Brodie A, Lu Q, Long B, Fulton A, Chen T, Macpherson N, et al. Aromatase and COX-2 expression in human breast cancers. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;79:41-7 pubmed..In addition, the duration of response was significantly longer with the aromatase inhibitor than with tamoxifen, suggesting that aromatase inhibitors may offer better control of tumor growth than this antiestrogen. ..
- Moons L, Kuipers E, Rygiel A, Groothuismink A, Geldof H, Bode W, et al. COX-2 CA-haplotype is a risk factor for the development of esophageal adenocarcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102:2373-9 pubmed..These data suggest a direct link between COX-2 activity and neoplastic progression in patients with BE and reflux esophagitis. ..
- Carli C, Metz C, Al Abed Y, Naccache P, Akoum A. Up-regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 expression and prostaglandin E2 production in human endometriotic cells by macrophage migration inhibitory factor: involvement of novel kinase signaling pathways. Endocrinology. 2009;150:3128-37 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel mechanism by which MIF can induce a proinflammatory phenotype in ectopic endometrial cells, and favor the establishment of endometriosis and its related clinical symptoms. ..
- Xu L, Li Y, Yu C, Li L, Liu Y, Zhang B, et al. Expression of p53, p16 and COX-2 in pancreatic cancer with tissue microarray. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2006;5:138-42 pubmed..Combination analysis of p53 and COX-2 may be useful in predicting pancreatic carcinogenesis. ..
- Lukiw W, Pelaez R, Martinez J, Bazan N. Budesonide epimer R or dexamethasone selectively inhibit platelet-activating factor-induced or interleukin 1beta-induced DNA binding activity of cis-acting transcription factors and cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression in human epidermal keratinocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:3914-9 pubmed
- Konheim Y, Wolford J. Association of a promoter variant in the inducible cyclooxygenase-2 gene (PTGS2) with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Pima Indians. Hum Genet. 2003;113:377-81 pubmedRecent studies have suggested that prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase-2 (PTGS2), also known as cyclo-oxygenase 2, plays an etiological role in the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Pawliczak R, Logun C, Madara P, Lawrence M, Woszczek G, Ptasinska A, et al. Cytosolic phospholipase A2 Group IValpha but not secreted phospholipase A2 Group IIA, V, or X induces interleukin-8 and cyclooxygenase-2 gene and protein expression through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors gamma 1 and 2 in human lung cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:48550-61 pubmed..These results demonstrate that cPLA2 has an influence on IL-8 and COX 2 gene and protein expression at least in part through PPAR-gamma.
- Dalwadi H, Krysan K, Heuzé Vourc h N, Dohadwala M, Elashoff D, Sharma S, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2-dependent activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 by interleukin-6 in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:7674-82 pubmed..These findings provide a rationale for the future development of STAT3, IL-6, and/or COX-2-targeted therapies for the treatment of lung cancer. ..
- Liu F, Pan K, Zhang X, Zhang Y, Zhang L, Ma J, et al. Genetic variants in cyclooxygenase-2: Expression and risk of gastric cancer and its precursors in a Chinese population. Gastroenterology. 2006;130:1975-84 pubmed..These findings suggest that COX-2 polymorphisms may play an important role, at least in part, in developing GC in this high-risk population. ..
- Hill M, Papafili A, Booth H, Lawson P, Hubner M, Beynon H, et al. Functional prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 polymorphism predicts poor outcome in sarcoidosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:915-22 pubmed..Prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 (PTGS2) is a key regulatory enzyme in the synthesis of the antifibrotic agent prostaglandin E(2) and is reduced in ..
- Szerafin T, Erdei N, Fulop T, Pasztor E, Edes I, Koller A, et al. Increased cyclooxygenase-2 expression and prostaglandin-mediated dilation in coronary arterioles of patients with diabetes mellitus. Circ Res. 2006;99:e12-7 pubmed
- Fukata M, Chen A, Klepper A, Krishnareddy S, Vamadevan A, Thomas L, et al. Cox-2 is regulated by Toll-like receptor-4 (TLR4) signaling: Role in proliferation and apoptosis in the intestine. Gastroenterology. 2006;131:862-77 pubmed..We wished to test the hypothesis that cyclooxygenase 2 (Cox-2)-derived prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) is important in TLR4-related mucosal repair...
- Kobayashi H, Hashiguchi Y, Ueno H, Shinto E, Kajiwara Y, Mochizuki H. Absence of cyclooxygenase-2 protein expression is a predictor of tumor regression in rectal cancer treated with preoperative short-term chemoradiotherapy. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007;50:1354-62 pubmed..Cyclooxygenase-2 protein expression may be a marker for response to chemoradiotherapy in patients with rectal cancer. ..
- Lira M, Mazzola S, Tessari G, Malerba G, Ortombina M, Naldi L, et al. Association of functional gene variants in the regulatory regions of COX-2 gene (PTGS2) with nonmelanoma skin cancer after organ transplantation. Br J Dermatol. 2007;157:49-57 pubmed..Two common polymorphisms (-765G-->C, and -1195A-->G) in the promoter region of the COX-2 gene (now PTGS2), and one common polymorphism in the 3' UTR (8473T-->C) have been described, and reported as associated with ..
- Kristinsson J, van Westerveld P, Te Morsche R, Roelofs H, Wobbes T, Witteman B, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 polymorphisms and the risk of esophageal adeno- or squamous cell carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:3493-7 pubmed..Presence of the COX-2 -1195 GG genotype and of the GG/GG haplotype may result in a higher risk of developing esophageal carcinoma. ..
- Moore A, Young L, Dixon D. A common single-nucleotide polymorphism in cyclooxygenase-2 disrupts microRNA-mediated regulation. Oncogene. 2012;31:1592-8 pubmed publisher..However, the mechanisms allowing for pathogenic COX-2 overexpression are largely unknown. The gene for COX-2 (PTGS2) carries a common single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) at position 8473 (T8473C), in exon 10 that is associated ..
- Subbaramaiah K, Norton L, Gerald W, Dannenberg A. Cyclooxygenase-2 is overexpressed in HER-2/neu-positive breast cancer: evidence for involvement of AP-1 and PEA3. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18649-57 pubmed..The clear relationship between HER-2/neu status and COX-2 expression in human breast tumors suggests that this mechanism is likely to be operative in vivo. ..
- Pang L, Nie M, Corbett L, Donnelly R, Gray S, Knox A. Protein kinase C-epsilon mediates bradykinin-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human airway smooth muscle cells. FASEB J. 2002;16:1435-7 pubmed..Collectively, our results demonstrate that PKC-e mediates BK-induced COX-2 expression in HASM cells. ..
- Bertelsen L, Paesold G, Eckmann L, Barrett K. Salmonella infection induces a hypersecretory phenotype in human intestinal xenografts by inducing cyclooxygenase 2. Infect Immun. 2003;71:2102-9 pubmed..Western blot experiments revealed that infection was accompanied by increased cyclooxygenase 2 (Cox-2) expression, with no change in Cox-1 levels...
- Liu W, Reinmuth N, Stoeltzing O, Parikh A, Tellez C, Williams S, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 is up-regulated by interleukin-1 beta in human colorectal cancer cells via multiple signaling pathways. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3632-6 pubmed..The stability of COX-2 mRNA was not altered by IL-1 beta treatment. These data demonstrate that IL-1 beta induces COX-2 expression in HT-29 cells through multiple signaling pathways and NF-kappa B. ..
- Hu Z, Miao X, Ma H, Wang X, Tan W, Wei Q, et al. A common polymorphism in the 3'UTR of cyclooxygenase 2/prostaglandin synthase 2 gene and risk of lung cancer in a Chinese population. Lung Cancer. 2005;48:11-7 pubmed..10-9.00). These findings indicate that the COX-2 T8473C polymorphism may contribute to lung cancer susceptibility in the Chinese population. Further larger molecular epidemiological studies are warranted to confirm these findings. ..
- Lappi Blanco E, Kaarteenaho Wiik R, Maasilta P, Anttila S, Paakko P, Wolff H. COX-2 is widely expressed in metaplastic epithelium in pulmonary fibrous disorders. Am J Clin Pathol. 2006;126:717-24 pubmed..The mesenchymal cells remained negative. Our results suggest that irrespective of the underlying disease, lung injury that causes extensive fibrosis induces wide expression of COX-2 in the regenerating metaplastic epithelium. ..
- Vogel U, Christensen J, Wallin H, Friis S, Nexø B, Raaschou Nielsen O, et al. Polymorphisms in genes involved in the inflammatory response and interaction with NSAID use or smoking in relation to lung cancer risk in a prospective study. Mutat Res. 2008;639:89-100 pubmed publisher..The functional SNPs IL-1B T-31C, IL6 G-174C, IL8 T-251A, IL10 C-592T, COX2 C8473T, COX2 A-1195G and PPARgamma2 Pro(12)Ala were included...
- Shanmugam N, Reddy M, Natarajan R. Distinct roles of heterogeneous nuclear ribonuclear protein K and microRNA-16 in cyclooxygenase-2 RNA stability induced by S100b, a ligand of the receptor for advanced glycation end products. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:36221-33 pubmed publisher..These new results demonstrate that diabetic stimuli can efficiently stabilize inflammatory genes via opposing actions of key RNA-binding proteins and miRs. ..
- Siemes C, Visser L, Coebergh J, Hofman A, Uitterlinden A, Stricker B. Protective effect of NSAIDs on cancer and influence of COX-2 C(-765G) genotype. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2008;8:753-64 pubmed..Individuals diagnosed with colorectal cancer who carry a COX-2 C(-765) allele and are on NSAIDs have an increased survival in comparison to non-users with the wild type (G(-765)). ..
- Zhu W, Wei B, Shan X, Liu P. -765G>C and 8473T>C polymorphisms of COX-2 and cancer risk: a meta-analysis based on 33 case-control studies. Mol Biol Rep. 2010;37:277-88 pubmed publisher..In summary, this meta-analysis suggesting that -765G>C may cause an increased risk of colorectal carcinoma and esophageal cancer in Asian descents while 8473T>C polymorphism may cause a decreased risk of breast and lung cancer. ..
- Yu K, Chen A, Yang C, Qiu L, Fan L, Xu W, et al. Current evidence on the relationship between polymorphisms in the COX-2 gene and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;122:251-7 pubmed publisher..There is a need for further large studies into the role of these polymorphisms (especially rs5277) and other potentially functional polymorphisms/haplotypes in the COX-2 gene as breast cancer risk modifiers. ..
- Liou J, Deng W, Gilroy D, Shyue S, Wu K. Colocalization and interaction of cyclooxygenase-2 with caveolin-1 in human fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:34975-82 pubmed..Because caveolae are rich in signaling molecules, this COX-2 compartment may play an important role in diverse pathophysiological processes. ..
- Qiu D, Ma X, Peng Y, Chen X. Significance of cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human primary hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2002;8:815-7 pubmed..The overexpression of COX-2 in well-differentiated HCC suggests that COX-2 may play a role in the early stages of hepatocarcinogensis. ..
- Dohadwala M, Batra R, Luo J, Lin Y, Krysan K, Pold M, et al. Autocrine/paracrine prostaglandin E2 production by non-small cell lung cancer cells regulates matrix metalloproteinase-2 and CD44 in cyclooxygenase-2-dependent invasion. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:50828-33 pubmed..Thus, blocking PGE2 production or activity by genetic or pharmacological interventions may prove to be beneficial in chemoprevention or treatment of NSCLC. ..
- Hoeft B, Becker N, Deeg E, Beckmann L, Nieters A. Joint effect between regular use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, variants in inflammatory genes and risk of lymphoma. Cancer Causes Control. 2008;19:163-73 pubmed..We examined the association of regular NSAID use and polymorphisms in prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase-2 (COX2), prostaglandin E synthase (PTGES), interleukin-1 alpha (IL1A), IL-1 beta (IL1B), and IL-1 receptor antagonist (..
- Banu S, Lee J, Speights V, Starzinski Powitz A, Arosh J. Cyclooxygenase-2 regulates survival, migration, and invasion of human endometriotic cells through multiple mechanisms. Endocrinology. 2008;149:1180-9 pubmed..Our results support the emerging concept that COX-2/PGE(2) promotes the pathophysiology and pathogenesis of endometriosis in humans. ..
- Thompson C, Plummer S, Merkulova A, Cheng I, Tucker T, Casey G, et al. No association between cyclooxygenase-2 and uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase 1A6 genetic polymorphisms and colon cancer risk. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:2240-4 pubmedTo investigate the association of variations in the cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2) and uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase 1A6 (UGT1A6) genes and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) use with risk of colon cancer...
- Zhang J, Zhang Q, Fu Y, Wang T, Zhang J, Xu P, et al. Expression of p-Akt and COX-2 in gastric adenocarcinomas and adenovirus mediated Akt1 and COX-2 ShRNA suppresses SGC-7901 gastric adenocarcinoma and U251 glioma cell growth in vitro and in vivo. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2009;8:467-78 pubmed..In conclusion, our data suggest a novel mechanism for the regulation of malignant tumor cell growth and provide evidence for combined gene therapy for malignant tumors. ..
- Ali I, Luke B, Dean M, Greenwald P. Allellic variants in regulatory regions of cyclooxygenase-2: association with advanced colorectal adenoma. Br J Cancer. 2005;93:953-9 pubmedb>Cyclooxygenase 2 (Cox-2) is upregulated in colorectal adenomas and carcinomas...
- Futagami S, Hiratsuka T, Shindo T, Hamamoto T, Tatsuguchi A, Nobue U, et al. COX-2 and CCR2 induced by CD40 ligand and MCP-1 are linked to VEGF production in endothelial cells. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2008;78:137-46 pubmed..Thus, MCP-1 had a synergistic effect on COX-2 and CCR2 protein expression in CD40L-stimulated HUVECs and thereby stimulated VEGF production in these cells. ..
- Østergaard M, Ernst A, Labouriau R, Dagiliene E, Krarup H, Christensen M, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2, multidrug resistance 1, and breast cancer resistance protein gene polymorphisms and inflammatory bowel disease in the Danish population. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2009;44:65-73 pubmed publisher..The purpose of the study was to investigate whether single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in genes involved in these processes were associated with CD and UC...
- Akkiz H, Bayram S, Bekar A, Akgöllü E, Ulger Y. Functional polymorphisms of cyclooxygenase-2 gene and risk for hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;347:201-8 pubmed publisher..However, because this is the first report concerning the COX-2 -1195A>G, -765G>C, and +8473T>C polymorphisms and the risk of HCC, independent studies are needed to validate our findings. ..
- Monroy C, Cortes A, Lopez M, D Amelio A, Etzel C, Younes A, et al. Hodgkin disease risk: role of genetic polymorphisms and gene-gene interactions in inflammation pathway genes. Mol Carcinog. 2011;50:36-46 pubmed publisher..We observed that, in combination, allelic variants in the COX2, IL18, ILR4, and IL10 genes modify the risk for developing HD...
- Haddad A, Flint Ashtamker G, Minzel W, Sood R, Rimon G, Barki Harrington L. Prostaglandin EP1 receptor down-regulates expression of cyclooxygenase-2 by facilitating its proteasomal degradation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:17214-23 pubmed publisher..These findings propose a new role for the EP(1) receptor in resolving inflammation through down-regulation of COX-2. ..
- Tabernero A, Reimund J, Chasserot S, Muller C, Andriantsitohaina R. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression and role of vasoconstrictor prostanoids in small mesenteric arteries from patients with Crohn's disease. Circulation. 2003;107:1407-10 pubmed
- Landen C, Mathur S, Richardson M, Creasman W. Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in cervical, endometrial, and ovarian malignancies. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;188:1174-6 pubmed..001). In this cohort, COX-2 expression is significantly more common in endometrial adenocarcinoma and ovarian serous cystadenocarcinoma, but not in cervical squamous carcinoma, compared with normal tissue. ..
- Orbe J, Beloqui O, Rodriguez J, Belzunce M, Roncal C, Paramo J. Protective effect of the G-765C COX-2 polymorphism on subclinical atherosclerosis and inflammatory markers in asymptomatic subjects with cardiovascular risk factors. Clin Chim Acta. 2006;368:138-43 pubmed
- Fidler M, Argiris A, Patel J, Johnson D, Sandler A, Villaflor V, et al. The potential predictive value of cyclooxygenase-2 expression and increased risk of gastrointestinal hemorrhage in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with erlotinib and celecoxib. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:2088-94 pubmed publisher..GIB observed in our trial supports excluding patients with a history of peptic ulcer disease or those requiring therapeutic anticoagulation from future EGFR and COX-2 inhibitor studies. ..
- Bouzourene H, Yan P, Sandmeier D, Zouhair A, Matter M, Vuilleumier H, et al. The role of COX-2 in rectal cancer treated with preoperative radiotherapy. Virchows Arch. 2008;452:499-505 pubmed publisher..We conclude that COX-2 expression is overexpressed in the majority of rectal cancers treated with radiotherapy and likely plays a role in local relapse. ..
- Itatsu K, Sasaki M, Yamaguchi J, Ohira S, Ishikawa A, Ikeda H, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 is involved in the up-regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in cholangiocarcinoma induced by tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:829-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we propose a novel signaling pathway of MMP-9 up-regulation in CC cells such that TNF-alpha induces the activation of COX-2 and PGE2 via TNF-R1 followed by the up-regulation of MMP-9 via the PGE2 (EP2/4) receptor. ..
- Hermanova M, Karasek P, Tomasek J, Lenz J, Jarkovsky J, Dite P. Comparative analysis of clinicopathological correlations of cyclooxygenase-2 expression in resectable pancreatic cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16:1879-84 pubmed..The immunohistochemically assessed level of COX-2 expression does not seem to represent a valuable independent prognostic factor and is not superior to the conventional prognostic factors. ..