Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IL-4
Description: interleukin 4
Alias: BCGF-1, BCGF1, BSF-1, BSF1, IL-4, interleukin-4, B cell growth factor 1, B_cell stimulatory factor 1, binetrakin, interleukin 4 variant 2, lymphocyte stimulatory factor 1, pitrakinra
- Konwar R, Chaudhary P, Kumar S, Mishra D, Chattopadhyay N, Bid H. Breast cancer risk associated with polymorphisms of IL-1RN and IL-4 gene in Indian women. Oncol Res. 2009;17:367-72 pubmed..Further studies in other population are needed to confirm our findings and to elucidate the role of IL-1RN in progression of breast cancer. ..
- Inanir A, Yigit S, Tekcan A, Tural S, Kismali G. IL-4 and MTHFR gene polymorphism in rheumatoid arthritis and their effects. Immunol Lett. 2013;152:104-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that there is an association of IL-4 gene 70bp VNTR polymorphism and MTHFR C677T polymorphism with susceptibility of a person for development of RA. ..
- Li H, Xiaoyan D, Quanhua L, Jie L, Yixiao B. Single-nucleotide polymorphisms in genes predisposing to asthma in children of Chinese Han nationality. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2009;19:391-5 pubmed..FcepsilonR1beta C-109T and beta2-ADR R16G are significantly associated with childhood asthma. FcepsilonR1beta C-109T T/T and beta2-ADR R16G A/A have a significant and combined effect on the development of asthma. ..
- Forbes E, van Panhuys N, Min B, Le Gros G. Differential requirements for IL-4/STAT6 signalling in CD4 T-cell fate determination and Th2-immune effector responses. Immunol Cell Biol. 2010;88:240-3 pubmed publisher....
- Sobti R, Maithil N, Thakur H, Sharma Y, Talwar K. VEGF and IL-4 gene variability and its association with the risk of coronary heart disease in north Indian population. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010;341:139-48 pubmed publisher..34, 95% CI 0.14-0.82, P < 0.01) and central obesity (OR 0.15, 95% CI 0.04-0.56, P < 0.001). GG genotype of VEGF has also shown significant association with IL-4 (P2P2 and P1P2) genotypes. ..
- Shahram F, Nikoopour E, Rezaei N, Saeedfar K, Ziaei N, Davatchi F, et al. Association of interleukin-2, interleukin-4 and transforming growth factor-beta gene polymorphisms with Behcet's disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2011;29:S28-31 pubmed..Cytokine single nucleotide polymorphisms could play a role in the pathophysiology of BD. The results of this study could suggest a tendency towards higher production of IL-2 and lower production of IL-4 in the patients with BD. ..
- Gervaziev Y, Olenina L, Krasotkina J, Lupatov A, Mazurina S, Gervazieva V. Oct-1 is responsible for the C-33T polymorphism effect in the IL-4 promoter. Int J Immunogenet. 2010;37:13-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the interplay between Oct-1 and unknown TFs may be responsible for the C-33T polymorphism effects. ..
- Gao Q, Liu D, Zhang S, Jia M, Wang L, Wu L, et al. Polymorphisms of some cytokines and chronic hepatitis B and C virus infection. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:5610-9 pubmed..These results suggest that polymorphisms in some cytokine genes influence persistent HBV and HCV infection, clinical outcome, HCV replication, and liver damage. ..
- Shekari M, Kordi Tamandani D, Malekzadeh K, Sobti R, Karimi S, Suri V. Effect of anti-inflammatory (IL-4, IL-10) cytokine genes in relation to risk of cervical carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol. 2012;35:514-9 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that passive smokers among North Indian women having IL-4 Rp1/Rp2 and IL-10 (AC) genotypes had an increased risk for developing cervical cancer. ..
- Chatterjee A, Rathore A, Dhole T. Association of IL-4 589 C/T promoter and IL-4RalphaI50V receptor polymorphism with susceptibility to HIV-1 infection in North Indians. J Med Virol. 2009;81:959-65 pubmed publisherThe clinical course and outcome of HIV-1 infection are highly variable among individuals. Interleukin 4 (IL-4) is a key T helper 2 cytokine with various immune-modulating functions including induction of immunoglobulin E (IgE) production ..
- YANG X, LI F, Wu Y, Wu D, Tan J, Li M. Association of TGF-beta1, IL-4 and IL-13 gene polymerphisms with asthma in a Chinese population. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2011;29:273-7 pubmed....
- Eid N, Hussein A, Elzein A, Mohamed H, Rockett K, Kwiatkowski D, et al. Candidate malaria susceptibility/protective SNPs in hospital and population-based studies: the effect of sub-structuring. Malar J. 2010;9:119 pubmed publisher....
- Naslednikova I, Urazova O, Voronkova O, Strelis A, Novitsky V, Nikulina E, et al. Allelic polymorphism of cytokine genes during pulmonary tuberculosis. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2009;148:175-80 pubmed....
- Cui W, Sun C, Deng B, Liu P. Association of polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 gene with response to hepatitis B vaccine and susceptibility to hepatitis B virus infection: a meta-analysis. Gene. 2013;525:35-40 pubmed publisher..The aim of this meta-analysis is to evaluate the associations between functional polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 (IL4) gene and individuals' responses to hepatitis B vaccine and their susceptibility to hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection...
- Song G, Bae S, Kim J, Lee Y. Interleukin-4, interleukin-4 receptor, and interleukin-18 polymorphisms and rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis. Immunol Invest. 2013;42:455-69 pubmed publisher..This meta-analysis demonstrates that the IL-4 -590 T/C polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to RA in Europeans, but the IL-4R + 1902 G/A, IL-18 -607 C/A and -137 G/C polymorphisms are not associated with RA. ..
- Krabben A, Wilson A, de Rooy D, Zhernakova A, Brouwer E, Lindqvist E, et al. Association of genetic variants in the IL4 and IL4R genes with the severity of joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis: a study in seven cohorts. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:3051-7 pubmed publisher..02] and rs1119132 [P = 0.001]). Genetic variants in IL4R were identified, and their association with the progression rate of joint damage in RA was independently replicated. ..
- Fraser R, Walker J, Ekbote U, Martin K, McShane P, Orsi N. Interleukin-4 -590 (C>T), toll-like receptor-2 +2258 (G>A) and matrix metalloproteinase-9 -1562 (C>T) polymorphisms in pre-eclampsia. BJOG. 2008;115:1052-6; discussion 1056 pubmed publisher..87, P = 0.055), with a prevalence of TT homozygous women in this group (OR 4.455, 95% CI 1.286-15.350). ..
- Ueta M, Sotozono C, Inatomi T, Kojima K, Hamuro J, Kinoshita S. Association of combined IL-13/IL-4R signaling pathway gene polymorphism with Stevens-Johnson syndrome accompanied by ocular surface complications. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:1809-13 pubmed publisher..They also reveal that combined polymorphisms in the IL-13/IL-4R signaling pathway were associated with SJS/TEN with ocular surface complications. ..
- Howell W, Turner S, Theaker J, Bateman A. Cytokine gene single nucleotide polymorphisms and susceptibility to and prognosis in cutaneous malignant melanoma. Eur J Immunogenet. 2003;30:409-14 pubmed....
- Poole K, Gibbs P, Evans P, Sadek S, Howell W. Influence of patient and donor cytokine genotypes on renal allograft rejection: evidence from a single centre study. Transpl Immunol. 2001;8:259-65 pubmed..However, due to conflicting results from this and other studies, a multi-centre collaborative study may be required to determine whether cytokine genotypes are significant, independent predictors of renal allograft rejection. ..
- Gauchat J, Schlagenhauf E, Feng N, Moser R, Yamage M, Jeannin P, et al. A novel 4-kb interleukin-13 receptor alpha mRNA expressed in human B, T, and endothelial cells encoding an alternate type-II interleukin-4/interleukin-13 receptor. Eur J Immunol. 1997;27:971-8 pubmed....
- Heller N, Matsukura S, Georas S, Boothby M, Rothman P, Stellato C, et al. Interferon-gamma inhibits STAT6 signal transduction and gene expression in human airway epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2004;31:573-82 pubmed..These observations have important implications for the regulation of epithelial cell activation by the balance of Th1/Th2-type cytokines in the airways in allergic disease. ..
- Babula O, Lazdane G, Kroica J, Linhares I, Ledger W, Witkin S. Frequency of interleukin-4 (IL-4) -589 gene polymorphism and vaginal concentrations of IL-4, nitric oxide, and mannose-binding lectin in women with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:1258-62 pubmed..Associations between this polymorphism and recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC), as well as vaginal concentrations of IL-4 and the anticandidal compounds nitric oxide (NO) and mannose binding lectin (MBL), were evaluated...
- Wen H, Lin Y, Lee Y, Guo Y. Association between cord blood IgE and genetic polymorphisms of interleukin-4, the beta-subunit of the high-affinity receptor for IgE, lymphotoxin-alpha, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2006;17:489-94 pubmed..Our finding suggested a significant association of cbIgE with genetic polymorphism of IL-4 -590C/T, but not with the genotypes of FcepsilonRI-beta, LT-alpha, and TNF-alpha. ..
- Hsieh Y, Chang C, Tsai C, Lin C, Tsai F. Interleukin (IL)-12 receptor beta1 codon 378 G homozygote and allele, but not IL-1 (beta-511 promoter, 3953 exon 5, receptor antagonist), IL-2 114, IL-4-590 intron 3, IL-8 3'-UTR 2767, and IL-18 105, are associated with higher susceptibility to leiom. Fertil Steril. 2007;87:886-95 pubmed..The IL-1beta-511 promoter, IL-1beta exon 5, and IL-1Ra, IL-2 114, IL-4 -590 intron 3, IL-8 3'-UTR 2767, and IL-18 105 gene polymorphisms are not correlated with the development of leiomyoma. ..
- Amirzargar M, Yavangi M, Basiri A, Moghadam S, Khosravi F, Solgi G, et al. Genetic association of interleukin-4, interleukin-10, and transforming growth factor-beta gene polymorphism with allograft function in renal transplant patients. Transplant Proc. 2007;39:954-7 pubmed..TGF-beta codon 10 T allele was 39% in RE, 35% in SGF, and 53% in control group. In conclusion, this study suggested that some cytokine gene alleles reflected SGF among kidney transplant recipients. ..
- Zhang J, Foster D, Sebald W. Human IL-21 and IL-4 bind to partially overlapping epitopes of common gamma-chain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;300:291-6 pubmed..These results open the way to understand the molecular recognition mechanism in the IL-21 receptor system and also the promiscuous binding properties of gamma(c). ..
- Letzelter F, Wang Y, Sebald W. The interleukin-4 site-2 epitope determining binding of the common receptor gamma chain. Eur J Biochem. 1998;257:11-20 pubmed..This site-2 affinity seems to be sufficient, however, to promote, in a second step, a productive association of gamma(c) to an IL-4/alpha chain complex in the membrane. ..
- Dharancy S, Podevin P, Aoudjehane L, Batteux F, Rosenberg A, Soubrane O, et al. Elevated interleukin-4 expression in severe recurrent hepatitis C virus after liver transplantation. Transplantation. 2007;83:906-11 pubmed..IL-4 expression is elevated in severe recurrent HCV and may play a role in the progression of hepatic lesions after liver transplantation. ..
- Naslednikova I, Konenkov V, Ryazantseva N, Novitskii V, Tkachenko S, Zima A, et al. Role of genetically determined production of immunoregulatory cytokines in immunopathogenesis of chronic viral hepatitides. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2007;143:706-12 pubmed..The C/C genotype of the IL-10 gene promoter region C592A was shown to be a factor determining resistance to long-term persistence of hepatitis B and C viruses. ..