Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IL-4
Description: interleukin 4
Alias: BCGF-1, BCGF1, BSF-1, BSF1, IL-4, interleukin-4, B cell growth factor 1, B_cell stimulatory factor 1, binetrakin, interleukin 4 variant 2, lymphocyte stimulatory factor 1, pitrakinra
- Shahram F, Nikoopour E, Rezaei N, Saeedfar K, Ziaei N, Davatchi F, et al. Association of interleukin-2, interleukin-4 and transforming growth factor-beta gene polymorphisms with Behcet's disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2011;29:S28-31 pubmed..Cytokine single nucleotide polymorphisms could play a role in the pathophysiology of BD. The results of this study could suggest a tendency towards higher production of IL-2 and lower production of IL-4 in the patients with BD. ..
- Oral H, Dilek K, Ozçimen A, Taskapilioglu O, Bingol U, Sarandol A, et al. Interleukin-4 gene polymorphisms confer Behçet's disease in Turkish population. Scand J Immunol. 2011;73:594-601 pubmed publisher..However, in order to confirm and assess the association of IL-4 and IL-4R? gene polymorphisms with the BD, large cohort studies are needed. ..
- Anovazzi G, Kim Y, Viana A, Curtis K, Orrico S, Cirelli J, et al. Polymorphisms and haplotypes in the interleukin-4 gene are associated with chronic periodontitis in a Brazilian population. J Periodontol. 2010;81:392-402 pubmed publisher..Significant associations between alleles, genotypes, and haplotypes of polymorphisms in the IL4 gene and chronic periodontitis were verified in Brazilian individuals. ..
- Vafa M, Maiga B, Israelsson E, Dolo A, Doumbo O, Troye Blomberg M. Impact of the IL-4 -590 C/T transition on the levels of Plasmodium falciparum specific IgE, IgG, IgG subclasses and total IgE in two sympatric ethnic groups living in Mali. Microbes Infect. 2009;11:779-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that the impact of IL-4 -590 variants on antibody levels may vary in different ethnic populations, and that this might affect the Ig-class and subclass distributions. ..
- Gervaziev Y, Olenina L, Krasotkina J, Lupatov A, Mazurina S, Gervazieva V. Oct-1 is responsible for the C-33T polymorphism effect in the IL-4 promoter. Int J Immunogenet. 2010;37:13-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the interplay between Oct-1 and unknown TFs may be responsible for the C-33T polymorphism effects. ..
- Cabantous S, Poudiougou B, Oumar A, Traore A, Barry A, Vitte J, et al. Genetic evidence for the aggravation of Plasmodium falciparum malaria by interleukin 4. J Infect Dis. 2009;200:1530-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we investigated whether interleukin 4 (IL-4) aggravates the risk of severe disease...
- Naslednikova I, Urazova O, Voronkova O, Strelis A, Novitsky V, Nikulina E, et al. Allelic polymorphism of cytokine genes during pulmonary tuberculosis. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2009;148:175-80 pubmed
- Ho K, Shiau M, Chang Y, Chen C, Yang S, Huang C. Association of interleukin-4 promoter polymorphisms in Taiwanese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 2010;59:1717-22 pubmed publisher..The above results suggested that IL-4 may participate in lipid metabolism and diabetic susceptibility. ..
- Chatterjee A, Rathore A, Dhole T. Association of IL-4 589 C/T promoter and IL-4RalphaI50V receptor polymorphism with susceptibility to HIV-1 infection in North Indians. J Med Virol. 2009;81:959-65 pubmed publisherThe clinical course and outcome of HIV-1 infection are highly variable among individuals. Interleukin 4 (IL-4) is a key T helper 2 cytokine with various immune-modulating functions including induction of immunoglobulin E (IgE) production ..
- Liu X, Wang G, Hong X, Wang D, Tsai H, Zhang S, et al. Gene-vitamin D interactions on food sensitization: a prospective birth cohort study. Allergy. 2011;66:1442-8 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that VDD may increase the risk of FS among individuals with certain genotypes, providing evidence of gene-vitamin D interaction on FS. ..
- YANG X, LI F, Wu Y, Wu D, Tan J, Li M. Association of TGF-beta1, IL-4 and IL-13 gene polymerphisms with asthma in a Chinese population. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2011;29:273-7 pubmed
- Fang G, Fan X, Shen F. The relationship between polymorphisms of interleukin-4 gene and silicosis. Biomed Environ Sci. 2011;24:678-82 pubmed publisher..7% and in the controls were 69.4%, 4.1%, and 26.4%. The differences were significant (P=0.034). The relationship between genetic polymorphism of IL-4-33 site and silicosis has been found and -33TT is a protective genotype for silicosis. ..
- Yang H. Association between the interleukin-4 gene C-589T and C+33T polymorphisms and asthma risk: a meta-analysis. Arch Med Res. 2013;44:127-35 pubmed publisher..036 [1.224-7.529]), and children (OR [95% CI] = 1.300 [1.075-1.573]) in a recessive genetic model. This meta-analysis suggests that the IL-4 C-589T and C+33T polymorphisms may be risk factors for asthma. ..
- Inanir A, Tural S, Yigit S, Kalkan G, Pancar G, Demir H, et al. Association of IL-4 gene VNTR variant with deep venous thrombosis in Behçet's disease and its effect on ocular involvement. Mol Vis. 2013;19:675-83 pubmed..Deep venous thrombosis is also associated with ocular involvement in BD. The IL-4 gene could be a genetic biomarker in Behçet's disease in a Turkish study population. ..
- Hussein Y, El Shal A, Rezk N, Abdel Galil S, Alzahrani S. Influence of interleukin-4 gene polymorphisms and interleukin-4 serum level on susceptibility and severity of rheumatoid arthritis in Egyptian population. Cytokine. 2013;61:849-55 pubmed publisher..IL-4 VNTR and IL-4-590 promoter polymorphisms may be helpful for assessing RA severity in Egyptian population. Moreover, IL-4-590 promoter polymorphism may be associated with increased risk and activity of RA. ..
- Jha A, Singh V, Kumari N, Singh A, Antony J, Van Tong H, et al. IL-4 haplotype -590T, -34T and intron-3 VNTR R2 is associated with reduced malaria risk among ancestral indian tribal populations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48136 pubmed publisherb>Interleukin 4 (IL-4) is an anti-inflammatory cytokine, which regulates balance between T(H)1 and T(H)2 immune response, immunoglobulin class switching and humoral immunity...
- Cui W, Sun C, Deng B, Liu P. Association of polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 gene with response to hepatitis B vaccine and susceptibility to hepatitis B virus infection: a meta-analysis. Gene. 2013;525:35-40 pubmed publisher..The aim of this meta-analysis is to evaluate the associations between functional polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 (IL4) gene and individuals' responses to hepatitis B vaccine and their susceptibility to hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection...
- Song G, Bae S, Kim J, Lee Y. Interleukin-4, interleukin-4 receptor, and interleukin-18 polymorphisms and rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis. Immunol Invest. 2013;42:455-69 pubmed publisher..This meta-analysis demonstrates that the IL-4 -590 T/C polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to RA in Europeans, but the IL-4R?+?1902 G/A, IL-18 -607 C/A and -137 G/C polymorphisms are not associated with RA. ..
- Krabben A, Wilson A, de Rooy D, Zhernakova A, Brouwer E, Lindqvist E, et al. Association of genetic variants in the IL4 and IL4R genes with the severity of joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis: a study in seven cohorts. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:3051-7 pubmed publisher..02] and rs1119132 [P = 0.001]). Genetic variants in IL4R were identified, and their association with the progression rate of joint damage in RA was independently replicated. ..
- Genevay S, di Giovine F, Perneger T, Silvestri T, Stingelin S, Duff G, et al. Association of interleukin-4 and interleukin-1B gene variants with Larsen score progression in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;47:303-9 pubmed..001). None of the markers tested were shown to be associated with increased or decreased risk of RA. The rarer alleles of IL-4 VNTR and IL-1B (-511) appear to be associated with a less severe course in RA of long duration. ..
- Ognjanovic S, Yuan J, Chaptman A, Fan Y, Yu M. Genetic polymorphisms in the cytokine genes and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in low-risk non-Asians of USA. Carcinogenesis. 2009;30:758-62 pubmed publisher..98, 95% CI = 0.50-7.84, P = 0.08). In contrast to high-risk Chinese, Th1 and Th2 genotypes did not impact in a major way on risk of HCC in USA non-Asians. ..
- Aithal G, Ramsay L, Daly A, Sonchit N, Leathart J, Alexander G, et al. Hepatic adducts, circulating antibodies, and cytokine polymorphisms in patients with diclofenac hepatotoxicity. Hepatology. 2004;39:1430-40 pubmed..In conclusion, the observed polymorphisms, resulting in low IL-10 and high IL-4 gene transcription, could favor a T helper (Th)-2 mediated antibody response to neoantigenic stimulation associated with disease susceptibility. ..
- Verra F, Luoni G, Calissano C, Troye Blomberg M, Perlmann P, Perlmann H, et al. IL4-589C/T polymorphism and IgE levels in severe malaria. Acta Trop. 2004;90:205-9 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that there is a relationship between susceptibility to severe malaria, IgE production and genetic variation in the IL4 region, which merits further investigation in other epidemiological settings. ..
- Gyan B, Goka B, Cvetkovic J, Kurtzhals J, Adabayeri V, Perlmann H, et al. Allelic polymorphisms in the repeat and promoter regions of the interleukin-4 gene and malaria severity in Ghanaian children. Clin Exp Immunol. 2004;138:145-50 pubmed..Carriers of IL-4 +33T/-590T with cerebral malaria had elevated total IgE compared to non-carriers (P = 0.03). Our data suggest that IL-4 and/or IgE play a regulatory role in the pathogenesis of severe or complicated malaria. ..
- Wu S, Chang J, Wan L, Tsai C, Tsai F. Association of IL-1Ra gene polymorphism, but no association of IL-1beta and IL-4 gene polymorphisms, with Kawasaki disease. J Clin Lab Anal. 2005;19:99-102 pubmed..The genotype I/II for IL1-Ra and the frequency of allele II for IL1-Ra are associated with a higher susceptibility to KD, and thus may be useful markers for predicting the development of KD. ..
- Tangteerawatana P, Pichyangkul S, Hayano M, Kalambaheti T, Looareesuwan S, Troye Blomberg M, et al. Relative levels of IL4 and IFN-gamma in complicated malaria: association with IL4 polymorphism and peripheral parasitemia. Acta Trop. 2007;101:258-65 pubmed..283, p=0.046). These results suggest that the IL4-590 C/T polymorphism may play a role in the balance between IL4 and IFN-gamma, as well as in the control of parasitemia, which in turn may alter the severity of malaria. ..
- Cui T, Wu J, Pan S, Xie J. Polymorphisms in the IL-4 and IL-4R [alpha] genes and allergic asthma. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2003;41:888-92 pubmed..16; p < 0.01), and also total plasma immunoglobulin E (IgE) level was increased in allergic asthma patients. These data suggest that the IL-4R alpha chain 576R/R genotypes confer genetic susceptibility to allergic asthma in Chinese. ..
- Holla L, Fassmann A, Augustin P, Halabala T, Znojil V, Vanek J. The association of interleukin-4 haplotypes with chronic periodontitis in a Czech population. J Periodontol. 2008;79:1927-33 pubmed..85; 95% confidence interval: 1.19 to 2.87). The three polymorphisms in the IL-4 gene act in a cooperative fashion and suggest that the high-production IL-4 haplotype was associated with an increased risk for CP in the Czech population. ..
- Zhang J, Simeonowa I, Wang Y, Sebald W. The high-affinity interaction of human IL-4 and the receptor alpha chain is constituted by two independent binding clusters. J Mol Biol. 2002;315:399-407 pubmed..These results show that the high-affinity IL-4/IL4-BP contact is constituted by two independent binding units, each containing a central polar or charged side-chain surrounded by hydrophobic groups (avocado cluster). ..
- Powers R, Garrett D, March C, Frieden E, Gronenborn A, Clore G. Three-dimensional solution structure of human interleukin-4 by multidimensional heteronuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Science. 1992;256:1673-7 pubmed
- Cui T, Wang L, Wu J, Hu L, Xie J. Polymorphisms of IL-4, IL-4R alpha, and AICDA genes in adult allergic asthma. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci. 2003;23:134-7 pubmed..127, respectively; P < 0.01)] and was correlated with the increased plasma total IgE. These data suggested that the IL-4R alpha chain 576R/R and AICDA 8408T/T genotypes confer genetic susceptibility to adult allergic asthma in China. ..
- Hage T, Sebald W, Reinemer P. Crystal structure of the interleukin-4/receptor alpha chain complex reveals a mosaic binding interface. Cell. 1999;97:271-81 pubmed..Novel insights on ligand binding in the cytokine receptor family and a paradigm for receptors of IL-2, IL-7, IL-9, and IL-15, which all utilize gamma c, are provided. ..
- Rezaei N, Aghamohammadi A, Mahmoudi M, Shakiba Y, Kardar G, Mahmoudi M, et al. Association of IL-4 and IL-10 gene promoter polymorphisms with common variable immunodeficiency. Immunobiology. 2010;215:81-7 pubmed publisher..High production of IL-4 could also be expected based on haplotypes frequencies of this cytokine gene polymorphisms...
- Elser B, Lohoff M, Kock S, Giaisi M, Kirchhoff S, Krammer P, et al. IFN-gamma represses IL-4 expression via IRF-1 and IRF-2. Immunity. 2002;17:703-12 pubmed..Our data demonstrate a direct negative feedback of IFN-gamma on expression of the Th2 cytokine gene IL-4 and, thus, provide evidence for another important mechanism by which IFNgamma assists Th1 and attenuates Th2 responses. ..
- Suppiah V, Goris A, Alloza I, Heggarty S, Dubois B, Carton H, et al. Polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 and IL-4 receptor genes and multiple sclerosis: a study in Spanish-Basque, Northern Irish and Belgian populations. Int J Immunogenet. 2005;32:383-8 pubmed..Disease or genetic heterogeneity or both may be responsible for the observed lack of reproduction in different populations. Our data reinforce recent findings for a role of IL4-R in susceptibility to MS. ..
- Scheurer M, Amirian E, Cao Y, Gilbert M, Aldape K, Kornguth D, et al. Polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 receptor gene are associated with better survival in patients with glioblastoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:6640-6 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that polymorphisms in inflammation pathway genes may play an important role in glioma survival. Further research on the effects of these polymorphisms on glioma prognosis is warranted. ..
- Uboldi de Capei M, Dametto E, Fasano M, Messina M, Pratico L, Rendine S, et al. Cytokines and chronic rejection: a study in kidney transplant long-term survivors. Transplantation. 2004;77:548-52 pubmed
- Walch L, Massade L, Dufilho M, Brunet A, Rendu F. Pro-atherogenic effect of interleukin-4 in endothelial cells: modulation of oxidative stress, nitric oxide and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression. Atherosclerosis. 2006;187:285-91 pubmed..These results are in favor of a pro-inflammatory and pro-atherogenic effect of IL-4 in vascular tissues. ..
- Beghe B, Barton S, Rorke S, Peng Q, Sayers I, Gaunt T, et al. Polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 and interleukin-4 receptor alpha chain genes confer susceptibility to asthma and atopy in a Caucasian population. Clin Exp Allergy. 2003;33:1111-7 pubmed..006). Our data suggest that polymorphisms in the IL-4 and IL-4Ralpha chain genes might play a role both conferring susceptibility to and modulating severity of atopy and asthma. ..
- Kabesch M, Tzotcheva I, Carr D, Höfler C, Weiland S, Fritzsch C, et al. A complete screening of the IL4 gene: novel polymorphisms and their association with asthma and IgE in childhood. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;112:893-8 pubmed..These results indicate a possible involvement of SNPs in the IL4 gene in the development of asthma and the regulation of total serum IgE. ..
- Fraser R, Walker J, Ekbote U, Martin K, McShane P, Orsi N. Interleukin-4 -590 (C>T), toll-like receptor-2 +2258 (G>A) and matrix metalloproteinase-9 -1562 (C>T) polymorphisms in pre-eclampsia. BJOG. 2008;115:1052-6; discussion 1056 pubmed publisher..87, P = 0.055), with a prevalence of TT homozygous women in this group (OR 4.455, 95% CI 1.286-15.350). ..
- Ueta M, Sotozono C, Inatomi T, Kojima K, Hamuro J, Kinoshita S. Association of combined IL-13/IL-4R signaling pathway gene polymorphism with Stevens-Johnson syndrome accompanied by ocular surface complications. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:1809-13 pubmed publisher..They also reveal that combined polymorphisms in the IL-13/IL-4R signaling pathway were associated with SJS/TEN with ocular surface complications. ..
- Kabesch M, Schedel M, Carr D, Woitsch B, Fritzsch C, Weiland S, et al. IL-4/IL-13 pathway genetics strongly influence serum IgE levels and childhood asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006;117:269-74 pubmed..054). These data indicate that only the combined analyses of genetic alterations in the IL-4/IL-13 pathway reveal its actual significance to the development of atopy and childhood asthma. ..
- Puthothu B, Krueger M, Forster J, Heinzmann A. Association between severe respiratory syncytial virus infection and IL13/IL4 haplotypes. J Infect Dis. 2006;193:438-41 pubmed..More studies are needed to clarify whether RSV infection provokes asthma or whether RSV infection occurs in children who are genetically predisposed to a pronounced T helper 2 immune response and subsequently develop bronchial asthma. ..
- Wu M, Huang C, Tsai J, Chen H, Tsai F. Polymorphisms of the interleukin-4 gene in chinese patients with systemic lupus erythematosus in Taiwan. Lupus. 2003;12:21-5 pubmed..The role of the intron 3 polymorphism of the IL4 gene in SLE remains unclear and further substantiation based on larger patient samples is needed. ..
- Bugawan T, Mirel D, Valdes A, Panelo A, Pozzilli P, Erlich H. Association and interaction of the IL4R, IL4, and IL13 loci with type 1 diabetes among Filipinos. Am J Hum Genet. 2003;72:1505-14 pubmed..Our data suggest that the risk for T1D is determined, in part, by polymorphisms within the IL4R locus, including promoter and coding-sequence variants, and by specific combinations of genotypes at the IL4R and the IL4 and IL13 loci. ..
- Smith L, Redfield C, Boyd J, Lawrence G, Edwards R, Smith R, et al. Human interleukin 4. The solution structure of a four-helix bundle protein. J Mol Biol. 1992;224:899-904 pubmed..m.r.) techniques have been used to determine the solution structure of human interleukin 4, a four-helix bundle protein...
- Conticello C, Pedini F, Zeuner A, Patti M, Zerilli M, Stassi G, et al. IL-4 protects tumor cells from anti-CD95 and chemotherapeutic agents via up-regulation of antiapoptotic proteins. J Immunol. 2004;172:5467-77 pubmed..These findings may provide useful information for the development of therapeutic strategies aimed at restoring the functionality of apoptotic pathways in tumor cells. ..
- Walter M, Cook W, Zhao B, Cameron R, Ealick S, Walter R, et al. Crystal structure of recombinant human interleukin-4. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:20371-6 pubmed..Both the tertiary and secondary structures of rhuIL-4 are similar to those of human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor. Critical regions for receptor binding are proposed. ..
- Takeda K, Tanaka T, Shi W, Matsumoto M, Minami M, Kashiwamura S, et al. Essential role of Stat6 in IL-4 signalling. Nature. 1996;380:627-30 pubmed..These findings agreed with those obtained in IL-4 deficient mice or using antibodies to IL-4 and the IL-4 receptor. We conclude that Stat6 plays a central role in exerting IL-4 mediated biological responses. ..
- Gauchat J, Schlagenhauf E, Feng N, Moser R, Yamage M, Jeannin P, et al. A novel 4-kb interleukin-13 receptor alpha mRNA expressed in human B, T, and endothelial cells encoding an alternate type-II interleukin-4/interleukin-13 receptor. Eur J Immunol. 1997;27:971-8 pubmed
- Grunig G, Warnock M, Wakil A, Venkayya R, Brombacher F, Rennick D, et al. Requirement for IL-13 independently of IL-4 in experimental asthma. Science. 1998;282:2261-3 pubmed..This pathway may underlie the genetic associations of asthma with both the human 5q31 locus and the IL-4 receptor. ..
- Aithal G, Day C, Leathart J, Daly A, Hudson M. Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the interleukin-4 gene and interleukin-4 receptor gene with Crohn's disease in a British population. Genes Immun. 2001;2:44-7 pubmed..005). Association with alleles resulting in high IL-4 transcription and enhanced signalling activity suggests that IL-4 may have a role in the pathogenesis of Crohn's disease. ..
- Poole K, Gibbs P, Evans P, Sadek S, Howell W. Influence of patient and donor cytokine genotypes on renal allograft rejection: evidence from a single centre study. Transpl Immunol. 2001;8:259-65 pubmed..However, due to conflicting results from this and other studies, a multi-centre collaborative study may be required to determine whether cytokine genotypes are significant, independent predictors of renal allograft rejection. ..
- Nakashima H, Miyake K, Inoue Y, Shimizu S, Akahoshi M, Tanaka Y, et al. Association between IL-4 genotype and IL-4 production in the Japanese population. Genes Immun. 2002;3:107-9 pubmed..These results make it likely that IL-4 genotype could influence the type of immune response. ..
- Choi E, Lee H, Yoo T, Chanock S. A common haplotype of interleukin-4 gene IL4 is associated with severe respiratory syncytial virus disease in Korean children. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:1207-11 pubmed
- Howell W, Turner S, Theaker J, Bateman A. Cytokine gene single nucleotide polymorphisms and susceptibility to and prognosis in cutaneous malignant melanoma. Eur J Immunogenet. 2003;30:409-14 pubmed
- Heller N, Matsukura S, Georas S, Boothby M, Rothman P, Stellato C, et al. Interferon-gamma inhibits STAT6 signal transduction and gene expression in human airway epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2004;31:573-82 pubmed..These observations have important implications for the regulation of epithelial cell activation by the balance of Th1/Th2-type cytokines in the airways in allergic disease. ..
- Pawlik A, Wrzesniewska J, Florczak M, Gawronska Szklarz B, Herczynska M. The -590 IL-4 promoter polymorphism in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int. 2005;26:48-51 pubmed..We suggest that the IL-4 -590 promoter polymorphism may be a genetic risk factor for RA severity. ..
- Babula O, Lazdane G, Kroica J, Linhares I, Ledger W, Witkin S. Frequency of interleukin-4 (IL-4) -589 gene polymorphism and vaginal concentrations of IL-4, nitric oxide, and mannose-binding lectin in women with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:1258-62 pubmed..Associations between this polymorphism and recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC), as well as vaginal concentrations of IL-4 and the anticandidal compounds nitric oxide (NO) and mannose binding lectin (MBL), were evaluated...
- Wen H, Lin Y, Lee Y, Guo Y. Association between cord blood IgE and genetic polymorphisms of interleukin-4, the beta-subunit of the high-affinity receptor for IgE, lymphotoxin-alpha, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2006;17:489-94 pubmed..Our finding suggested a significant association of cbIgE with genetic polymorphism of IL-4 -590C/T, but not with the genotypes of FcepsilonRI-beta, LT-alpha, and TNF-alpha. ..
- Hsieh Y, Chang C, Tsai C, Lin C, Tsai F. Interleukin (IL)-12 receptor beta1 codon 378 G homozygote and allele, but not IL-1 (beta-511 promoter, 3953 exon 5, receptor antagonist), IL-2 114, IL-4-590 intron 3, IL-8 3'-UTR 2767, and IL-18 105, are associated with higher susceptibility to leiom. Fertil Steril. 2007;87:886-95 pubmed..The IL-1beta-511 promoter, IL-1beta exon 5, and IL-1Ra, IL-2 114, IL-4 -590 intron 3, IL-8 3'-UTR 2767, and IL-18 105 gene polymorphisms are not correlated with the development of leiomyoma. ..
- Amirzargar M, Yavangi M, Basiri A, Moghadam S, Khosravi F, Solgi G, et al. Genetic association of interleukin-4, interleukin-10, and transforming growth factor-beta gene polymorphism with allograft function in renal transplant patients. Transplant Proc. 2007;39:954-7 pubmed..TGF-beta codon 10 T allele was 39% in RE, 35% in SGF, and 53% in control group. In conclusion, this study suggested that some cytokine gene alleles reflected SGF among kidney transplant recipients. ..
- Naslednikova I, Konenkov V, Ryazantseva N, Novitskii V, Tkachenko S, Zima A, et al. Role of genetically determined production of immunoregulatory cytokines in immunopathogenesis of chronic viral hepatitides. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2007;143:706-12 pubmed..The C/C genotype of the IL-10 gene promoter region C592A was shown to be a factor determining resistance to long-term persistence of hepatitis B and C viruses. ..
- Zhang J, Foster D, Sebald W. Human IL-21 and IL-4 bind to partially overlapping epitopes of common gamma-chain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;300:291-6 pubmed..These results open the way to understand the molecular recognition mechanism in the IL-21 receptor system and also the promiscuous binding properties of gamma(c). ..
- Prokopchuk O, Liu Y, Henne Bruns D, Kornmann M. Interleukin-4 enhances proliferation of human pancreatic cancer cells: evidence for autocrine and paracrine actions. Br J Cancer. 2005;92:921-8 pubmed
- Tsai M, Chen W, Tsai C, Hang L, Tsai F. Interleukin-4 gene, but not the interleukin-1 beta gene polymorphism, is associated with oral cancer. J Clin Lab Anal. 2005;19:93-8 pubmed..However, whether the -590 C/T polymorphism of the IL4 gene plays a role in oral cancer remains unclear. Further substantiation based on larger patient samples is needed. ..
- Letzelter F, Wang Y, Sebald W. The interleukin-4 site-2 epitope determining binding of the common receptor gamma chain. Eur J Biochem. 1998;257:11-20 pubmed..This site-2 affinity seems to be sufficient, however, to promote, in a second step, a productive association of gamma(c) to an IL-4/alpha chain complex in the membrane. ..
- Olver S, Apte S, Baz A, Kienzle N. The duplicitous effects of interleukin 4 on tumour immunity: how can the same cytokine improve or impair control of tumour growth?. Tissue Antigens. 2007;69:293-8 pubmedSuccessful tumour immunity relies on innate and adaptive immune responses, with cytokines like interleukin 4 (IL-4) known to influence tumour clearance in both positive and negative ways...
- Dharancy S, Podevin P, Aoudjehane L, Batteux F, Rosenberg A, Soubrane O, et al. Elevated interleukin-4 expression in severe recurrent hepatitis C virus after liver transplantation. Transplantation. 2007;83:906-11 pubmed..IL-4 expression is elevated in severe recurrent HCV and may play a role in the progression of hepatic lesions after liver transplantation. ..