Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HIST2H3A
Description: histone cluster 2 H3 family member a
Alias: H3/n, H3/o, histone H3.2, histone 2, H3a, histone H3/o, histone cluster 2, H3a
- Morris S, Rao B, Garcia B, Hake S, Diaz R, Shabanowitz J, et al. Identification of histone H3 lysine 36 acetylation as a highly conserved histone modification. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7632-40 pubmed
- Beck H, Nielsen E, Matthiesen R, Jensen L, Sehested M, Finn P, et al. Quantitative proteomic analysis of post-translational modifications of human histones. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2006;5:1314-25 pubmed..This demonstrates that mass spectrometry-based quantitative proteomic analysis of post-translational modifications is a viable approach for functional analysis of candidate drugs, such as HDAC inhibitors. ..
- Ruthenburg A, Wang W, Graybosch D, Li H, Allis C, Patel D, et al. Histone H3 recognition and presentation by the WDR5 module of the MLL1 complex. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:704-12 pubmed..Contrary to predictions, the structures reveal that WDR5 does not read out the methylation state of K4 directly, but instead serves to present the K4 side chain for further methylation by SET1-family complexes. ..
- Ruthenburg A, Li H, Milne T, Dewell S, McGinty R, Yuen M, et al. Recognition of a mononucleosomal histone modification pattern by BPTF via multivalent interactions. Cell. 2011;145:692-706 pubmed publisher..Together, our data call attention to nucleosomal patterning of covalent marks in dictating critical chromatin associations. ..
- Christensen J, Agger K, Cloos P, Pasini D, Rose S, Sennels L, et al. RBP2 belongs to a family of demethylases, specific for tri-and dimethylated lysine 4 on histone 3. Cell. 2007;128:1063-76 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that H3K4me3/me2 demethylation regulated by the JARID1 family plays an important role during development. ..
- Petrie K, Guidez F, Howell L, Healy L, Waxman S, Greaves M, et al. The histone deacetylase 9 gene encodes multiple protein isoforms. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16059-72 pubmed..These results suggest that HDAC9 plays a role in hematopoiesis; its deregulated expression may be associated with some human cancers. ..
- Rodriguez Collazo P, Snyder S, Chiffer R, Zlatanova J, Leuba S, Smith C. cAMP signaling induces rapid loss of histone H3 phosphorylation in mammary adenocarcinoma-derived cell lines. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:1-10 pubmed..In syngeneic human breast-derived cell lines, one diploid and non-transformed, the other derived from a ductal carcinoma, the loss of H3 phosphorylation is significantly more sensitive to cAMP concentration in the transformed cell line. ..
- Fuks F, Hurd P, Wolf D, Nan X, Bird A, Kouzarides T. The methyl-CpG-binding protein MeCP2 links DNA methylation to histone methylation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:4035-40 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that MeCP2 reinforces a repressive chromatin state by acting as a bridge between two global epigenetic modifications, DNA methylation and histone methylation. ..
- Iberg A, Espejo A, Cheng D, Kim D, Michaud Levesque J, Richard S, et al. Arginine methylation of the histone H3 tail impedes effector binding. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3006-10 pubmed..We have tested the expression of a select group of H3K4 effector-regulated genes in PRMT6 knockdown cells and found that their levels are altered. Thus, PRMT6 methylates H3R2 and is a negative regulator of N-terminal H3 tail binding. ..
- Huyen Y, Zgheib O, DiTullio R, Gorgoulis V, Zacharatos P, Petty T, et al. Methylated lysine 79 of histone H3 targets 53BP1 to DNA double-strand breaks. Nature. 2004;432:406-11 pubmed..Because methylation of histone H3 Lys 79 was unaltered in response to DNA damage, we propose that 53BP1 senses DSBs indirectly through changes in higher-order chromatin structure that expose the 53BP1 binding site. ..
- Gyory I, Wu J, Fejer G, Seto E, Wright K. PRDI-BF1 recruits the histone H3 methyltransferase G9a in transcriptional silencing. Nat Immunol. 2004;5:299-308 pubmed..This establishes a mechanism for the recruitment of G9a, the main mammalian euchromatic methyltransferase, and defines nonembryonic targets of G9a. ..
- Schultz D, Ayyanathan K, Negorev D, Maul G, Rauscher F. SETDB1: a novel KAP-1-associated histone H3, lysine 9-specific methyltransferase that contributes to HP1-mediated silencing of euchromatic genes by KRAB zinc-finger proteins. Genes Dev. 2002;16:919-32 pubmed..Although acetylation and phosphorylation of the H3 N-terminal tail profoundly affect the efficiency of H3-K9 methylation by SETDB1, we found that methylation of H3-K4 ..
- Liu B, Lin Y, Darwanto A, Song X, Xu G, Zhang K. Identification and characterization of propionylation at histone H3 lysine 23 in mammalian cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:32288-95 pubmed publisher..Because like acetyl-CoA, propionyl-CoA is an important intermediate in biosynthesis and energy production, histone H3 Lys(23) propionylation may provide a novel epigenetic regulatory mark for cell metabolism. ..
- Goto H, Tomono Y, Ajiro K, Kosako H, Fujita M, Sakurai M, et al. Identification of a novel phosphorylation site on histone H3 coupled with mitotic chromosome condensation. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:25543-9 pubmed..These observations suggest that H3 phosphorylation at Ser(28), together with Ser(10), is a conserved event and is likely to be involved in mitotic chromosome condensation. ..
- Marashi F, Helms S, Shiels A, Silverstein S, Greenspan D, Stein G, et al. Enhancer-facilitated expression of prokaryotic and eukaryotic genes using human histone gene 5' regulatory sequences. Biochem Cell Biol. 1986;64:277-89 pubmed
- Ho C, Cheng C, Liu Y, Pei R, Hsu Y, Yeh K, et al. Possible relation between histone 3 and cytokeratin 18 in human hepatocellular carcinoma. In Vivo. 2008;22:457-62 pubmed..The evidence might indicate that expression of histone 3 was highly related to modulation of cytokeratin 18 and might play an important role in tumorigenesis of hepatocellular carcinoma. ..
- Iwase S, Lan F, Bayliss P, de la Torre Ubieta L, Huarte M, Qi H, et al. The X-linked mental retardation gene SMCX/JARID1C defines a family of histone H3 lysine 4 demethylases. Cell. 2007;128:1077-88 pubmed..Our findings thus identify a family of H3K4me3 demethylases and uncover a critical link between histone modifications and XLMR...
- Wang Y, Wysocka J, Sayegh J, Lee Y, Perlin J, Leonelli L, et al. Human PAD4 regulates histone arginine methylation levels via demethylimination. Science. 2004;306:279-83 pubmed..Moreover, PAD4 activity is linked with the transcriptional regulation of estrogen-responsive genes in MCF-7 cells. These data suggest that PAD4 mediates gene expression by regulating Arg methylation and citrullination in histones. ..
- Tachiwana H, Osakabe A, Shiga T, Miya Y, Kimura H, Kagawa W, et al. Structures of human nucleosomes containing major histone H3 variants. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2011;67:578-83 pubmed publisher..1 nucleosome. Since the amino-acid residues specific for H3.2 and H3.3 are located on the accessible surface of the H3/H4 tetramer, they may be potential interaction sites for H3.2- and H3.3-specific chaperones. ..
- Haas A, Bright P, Jackson V. Functional diversity among putative E2 isozymes in the mechanism of ubiquitin-histone ligation. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:13268-75 pubmed..4 nM for E2(32kDa), and 3.6 nM for E2(20kDa). The data indicate that E2(20kDa) and E2(32kDa) are specific but mechanistically distinct ligation enzymes responsible for the conjugation of ubiquitin to nucleosomal proteins. ..
- Kato D, Osakabe A, Tachiwana H, Tanaka H, Kurumizaka H. Human tNASP promotes in vitro nucleosome assembly with histone H3.3. Biochemistry. 2015;54:1171-9 pubmed publisher..1-H4 complex. These results provide evidence that tNASP is ubiquitously produced in various types of human tissues and promotes in vitro nucleosome assembly with H3 variant specificity. ..
- Loomis R, Naoe Y, Parker J, Savic V, Bozovsky M, Macfarlan T, et al. Chromatin binding of SRp20 and ASF/SF2 and dissociation from mitotic chromosomes is modulated by histone H3 serine 10 phosphorylation. Mol Cell. 2009;33:450-61 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the evolving role of histone H3 phosphorylation and demonstrate a direct, functional, and histone-modification-regulated association of SRp20 and ASF/SF2 with chromatin. ..
- Li H, He Z, Lu G, Lee S, Alonso J, Ecker J, et al. A WD40 domain cyclophilin interacts with histone H3 and functions in gene repression and organogenesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2403-16 pubmed..As CYP71 has close homologs in eukaryotes ranging from fission yeast to human, we propose that it serves as a highly conserved histone remodeling factor involved in chromatin-based gene silencing in eukaryotic organisms. ..
- Dai J, Sultan S, Taylor S, Higgins J. The kinase haspin is required for mitotic histone H3 Thr 3 phosphorylation and normal metaphase chromosome alignment. Genes Dev. 2005;19:472-88 pubmed..This work reveals a new kinase involved in composing the histone code and adds haspin to the select group of kinases that integrate regulation of chromosome and spindle function during mitosis and meiosis. ..
- Duringer C, Hamiche A, Gustafsson L, Kimura H, Svanborg C. HAMLET interacts with histones and chromatin in tumor cell nuclei. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42131-5 pubmed..We conclude that HAMLET interacts with histones and chromatin in tumor cell nuclei and propose that this interaction locks the cells into the death pathway by irreversibly disrupting chromatin organization. ..
- Green L, van Antwerpen R, Stein J, Stein G, Tripputi P, Emanuel B, et al. A major human histone gene cluster on the long arm of chromosome 1. Science. 1984;226:838-40 pubmed..Localization of this histone gene cluster on the long arm of chromosome 1 was confirmed by in situ hybridization of this DNA probe to metaphase chromosomes. ..
- Hake S, Garcia B, Duncan E, Kauer M, Dellaire G, Shabanowitz J, et al. Expression patterns and post-translational modifications associated with mammalian histone H3 variants. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:559-68 pubmed..1 and H3.2 in mammalian cells should not be treated as equivalent proteins. ..
- Elsässer S, Huang H, Lewis P, Chin J, Allis C, Patel D. DAXX envelops a histone H3.3-H4 dimer for H3.3-specific recognition. Nature. 2012;491:560-5 pubmed publisher..3-specific residues, and functional studies address the contributions of Gly?90 in H3.3 and Glu?225 in DAXX to chaperone-mediated H3.3 variant recognition specificity. ..
- Nielsen A, Oulad Abdelghani M, Ortiz J, Remboutsika E, Chambon P, Losson R. Heterochromatin formation in mammalian cells: interaction between histones and HP1 proteins. Mol Cell. 2001;7:729-39 pubmed..These results define a novel function for the conserved CD and suggest that HP1 self-association and histone binding may play a crucial role in HP1-mediated heterochromatin assembly. ..
- Song J, Kingston R. WDR5 interacts with mixed lineage leukemia (MLL) protein via the histone H3-binding pocket. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35258-64 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the activity of the MLL complex might be regulated through this interplay. ..
- Vieyra D, Loewith R, Scott M, Bonnefin P, Boisvert F, Cheema P, et al. Human ING1 proteins differentially regulate histone acetylation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:29832-9 pubmed..ING1.PCNA protein complexes. ..
- Garcia B, Barber C, Hake S, Ptak C, Turner F, Busby S, et al. Modifications of human histone H3 variants during mitosis. Biochemistry. 2005;44:13202-13 pubmed
- Bruston F, Delbarre E, Ostlund C, Worman H, Buendia B, Duband Goulet I. Loss of a DNA binding site within the tail of prelamin A contributes to altered heterochromatin anchorage by progerin. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:2999-3004 pubmed publisher..We show that progerin tail has a reduced DNA/chromatin binding capacity and modified trimethylated H3K27 binding pattern, offering a molecular mechanism for heterochromatin alterations related to HGPS. ..
- Goto H, Yasui Y, Nigg E, Inagaki M. Aurora-B phosphorylates Histone H3 at serine28 with regard to the mitotic chromosome condensation. Genes Cells. 2002;7:11-7 pubmed..The level of Ser28 phosphorylation is diminished to undetectable levels by PP1 phosphatase prior to entry into mitosis. ..
- Xie W, Song C, Young N, Sperling A, Xu F, Sridharan R, et al. Histone h3 lysine 56 acetylation is linked to the core transcriptional network in human embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell. 2009;33:417-27 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that K56Ac is involved in the human core transcriptional network of pluripotency. ..
- Karagianni P, Amazit L, Qin J, Wong J. ICBP90, a novel methyl K9 H3 binding protein linking protein ubiquitination with heterochromatin formation. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:705-17 pubmed..Furthermore, we present evidence that ICBP90 is required for proper heterochromatin formation in mammalian cells. ..
- Ananthanarayanan M, Li S, Balasubramaniyan N, Suchy F, Walsh M. Ligand-dependent activation of the farnesoid X-receptor directs arginine methylation of histone H3 by CARM1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:54348-57 pubmed..Our studies provide evidence that FXR directly recruits specific chromatin modifying activity of CARM1 necessary for full potentiation of the BSEP locus in vivo...
- Couture J, Collazo E, Trievel R. Molecular recognition of histone H3 by the WD40 protein WDR5. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:698-703 pubmed
- Braastad C, Hovhannisyan H, Van Wijnen A, Stein J, Stein G. Functional characterization of a human histone gene cluster duplication. Gene. 2004;342:35-40 pubmed..Levels of messenger RNAs for duplicated histone H4 genes are high relative to those for non-duplicated H4 genes. Our data suggest that transcriptionally robust histone H4 genes may have been preferentially duplicated during evolution. ..
- Fujita K, Shimazaki N, Ohta Y, Kubota T, Ibe S, Toji S, et al. Terminal deoxynucleotidyltransferase forms a ternary complex with a novel chromatin remodeling protein with 82 kDa and core histone. Genes Cells. 2003;8:559-71 pubmed..The enzymatic consequence of the TdIF2/TdT complex is the reduction of TdT activity in vitro. TdIF2 would function as a chromatin remodeling protein at the N region synthesis. ..
- Preuss U, Landsberg G, Scheidtmann K. Novel mitosis-specific phosphorylation of histone H3 at Thr11 mediated by Dlk/ZIP kinase. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:878-85 pubmed..These findings strongly suggest that Dlk is a centromere-specific histone kinase that might play a role in labeling centromere-specific chromatin for subsequent mitotic processes. ..
- Cuthbert G, Daujat S, Snowden A, Erdjument Bromage H, Hagiwara T, Yamada M, et al. Histone deimination antagonizes arginine methylation. Cell. 2004;118:545-53 pubmed..The recruitment of PADI4 coincides with deimination of the histone H3 N-terminal tail...
- Garcia B, Hake S, Diaz R, Kauer M, Morris S, Recht J, et al. Organismal differences in post-translational modifications in histones H3 and H4. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7641-55 pubmed publisher..Additionally, modification profiles of H4 acetylation were very similar among the organisms examined...
- Suphioglu C, Sadli N, Coonan D, Kumar L, De Mel D, Lesheim J, et al. Zinc and DHA have opposing effects on the expression levels of histones H3 and H4 in human neuronal cells. Br J Nutr. 2010;103:344-51 pubmed publisher..Such novel information provides possible clues to the molecular basis of neuroprotection by Zn and DHA that may contribute to the future treatment, prevention and management of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Wang H, Zhai L, Xu J, Joo H, Jackson S, Erdjument Bromage H, et al. Histone H3 and H4 ubiquitylation by the CUL4-DDB-ROC1 ubiquitin ligase facilitates cellular response to DNA damage. Mol Cell. 2006;22:383-94 pubmed..Thus, our studies uncover CUL4-DDB-ROC1 as a histone ubiquitin ligase and demonstrate that histone H3 and H4 ubiquitylation participates in the cellular response to DNA damage. ..
- Lachner M, O Carroll D, Rea S, Mechtler K, Jenuwein T. Methylation of histone H3 lysine 9 creates a binding site for HP1 proteins. Nature. 2001;410:116-20 pubmed..Our data define a molecular mechanism through which the SUV39H-HP1 methylation system can contribute to the propagation of heterochromatic subdomains in native chromatin. ..
- Hsieh Y, Kundu T, Wang Z, Kovelman R, Roeder R. The TFIIIC90 subunit of TFIIIC interacts with multiple components of the RNA polymerase III machinery and contains a histone-specific acetyltransferase activity. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:7697-704 pubmed..We show that hTFIIIC90 has an intrinsic histone acetyltransferase activity with a substrate specificity for histone H3. ..
- Miao F, Li S, Chavez V, Lanting L, Natarajan R. Coactivator-associated arginine methyltransferase-1 enhances nuclear factor-kappaB-mediated gene transcription through methylation of histone H3 at arginine 17. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1562-73 pubmed
- Choi H, Choi B, Cho Y, Zhu F, Bode A, Dong Z. Phosphorylation of Ser28 in histone H3 mediated by mixed lineage kinase-like mitogen-activated protein triple kinase alpha. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13545-53 pubmed
- Tahiliani M, Mei P, Fang R, Leonor T, Rutenberg M, Shimizu F, et al. The histone H3K4 demethylase SMCX links REST target genes to X-linked mental retardation. Nature. 2007;447:601-5 pubmed..We propose that loss of SMCX activity impairs REST-mediated neuronal gene regulation, thereby contributing to SMCX-associated X-linked mental retardation...
- Kzhyshkowska J, Rusch A, Wolf H, Dobner T. Regulation of transcription by the heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein E1B-AP5 is mediated by complex formation with the novel bromodomain-containing protein BRD7. Biochem J. 2003;371:385-93 pubmed..We conclude that complex formation between BRD7 and E1B-AP5 links chromatin events with mRNA processing at the level of transcriptional regulation. ..
- Ohe Y, Iwai K. Human spleen histone H3. Isolation and amino acid sequence. J Biochem. 1981;90:1205-11 pubmed..The substitutions and modifications found in the human H3 are compared with those in the known H3 sequences of other eukaryotes, and the implications are discussed. ..