Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HIST1H3A
Description: histone cluster 1 H3 family member a
Alias: H3/A, H3FA, histone H3.1, H3 histone family, member A, histone 1, H3a, histone H3/a, histone cluster 1, H3a
- Shi Y, Matson C, Lan F, Iwase S, Baba T, Shi Y. Regulation of LSD1 histone demethylase activity by its associated factors. Mol Cell. 2005;19:857-64 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that LSD1-mediated histone demethylation is regulated dynamically in vivo. This is expected to have profound effects on gene expression under both physiological and pathological conditions. ..
- Groth A, Ray Gallet D, Quivy J, Lukas J, Bartek J, Almouzni G. Human Asf1 regulates the flow of S phase histones during replicational stress. Mol Cell. 2005;17:301-11 pubmed
- Wysocka J, Swigut T, Xiao H, Milne T, Kwon S, Landry J, et al. A PHD finger of NURF couples histone H3 lysine 4 trimethylation with chromatin remodelling. Nature. 2006;442:86-90 pubmed..We also identify a previously unknown function for the PHD finger as a highly specialized methyl-lysine-binding domain. ..
- Hake S, Garcia B, Duncan E, Kauer M, Dellaire G, Shabanowitz J, et al. Expression patterns and post-translational modifications associated with mammalian histone H3 variants. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:559-68 pubmed..1 and H3.2 in mammalian cells should not be treated as equivalent proteins. ..
- Berndsen C, Tsubota T, Lindner S, Lee S, Holton J, Kaufman P, et al. Molecular functions of the histone acetyltransferase chaperone complex Rtt109-Vps75. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:948-56 pubmed..Together, these data provide evidence for a multifunctional HAT-chaperone complex that acetylates histone H3 and deposits H3-H4 onto DNA, linking histone modification and nucleosome assembly. ..
- Tang Z, Chen W, Shimada M, Nguyen U, Kim J, Sun X, et al. SET1 and p300 act synergistically, through coupled histone modifications, in transcriptional activation by p53. Cell. 2013;154:297-310 pubmed publisher..These results establish a mechanism in which SET1C and p300 act cooperatively, through direct interactions and coupled histone modifications, to facilitate the function of p53. ..
- Kang H, Choi Y, Lee J, Choi K, Kim H, Yoo J, et al. The histone methyltransferase, NSD2, enhances androgen receptor-mediated transcription. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:1880-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results uncover a potential role for NSD2 in AR-mediated transcription, implicating NSD2 in prostate carcinogenesis. ..
- Lachner M, O Carroll D, Rea S, Mechtler K, Jenuwein T. Methylation of histone H3 lysine 9 creates a binding site for HP1 proteins. Nature. 2001;410:116-20 pubmed..Our data define a molecular mechanism through which the SUV39H-HP1 methylation system can contribute to the propagation of heterochromatic subdomains in native chromatin. ..
- Schneider R, Bannister A, Weise C, Kouzarides T. Direct binding of INHAT to H3 tails disrupted by modifications. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23859-62 pubmed..We suggest that the charge of the histone tail is a major determinant in allowing INHAT to bind chromatin and coordinate the activity of multiple histone acetyltransferases. ..
- Cloos P, Christensen J, Agger K, Maiolica A, Rappsilber J, Antal T, et al. The putative oncogene GASC1 demethylates tri- and dimethylated lysine 9 on histone H3. Nature. 2006;442:307-11 pubmed..Thus, in addition to identifying GASC1 as a histone trimethyl demethylase, we suggest a model for how this enzyme might be involved in cancer development, and propose it as a target for anti-cancer therapy. ..
- Wysocka J, Swigut T, Milne T, Dou Y, Zhang X, Burlingame A, et al. WDR5 associates with histone H3 methylated at K4 and is essential for H3 K4 methylation and vertebrate development. Cell. 2005;121:859-72 pubmed..Our results are the first demonstration that a WD40-repeat protein acts as a module for recognition of a specific histone modification and suggest a mechanism for reading and writing an epigenetic mark for gene activation. ..
- Nielsen P, Nietlispach D, Mott H, Callaghan J, Bannister A, Kouzarides T, et al. Structure of the HP1 chromodomain bound to histone H3 methylated at lysine 9. Nature. 2002;416:103-7 pubmed..These findings predict which other chromodomains will bind methylated proteins and suggest a motif that they recognize. ..
- Franz H, Mosch K, Soeroes S, Urlaub H, Fischle W. Multimerization and H3K9me3 binding are required for CDYL1b heterochromatin association. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:35049-59 pubmed publisher..We suggest that similar multivalent binding stably anchors other histone modification binding factors on their target chromatin regions. ..
- Chuikov S, Kurash J, Wilson J, Xiao B, Justin N, Ivanov G, et al. Regulation of p53 activity through lysine methylation. Nature. 2004;432:353-60 pubmed..The crystal structure of a ternary complex of Set9 with a p53 peptide and the cofactor product S-adenosyl-l-homocysteine (AdoHcy) provides the molecular basis for recognition of p53 by this lysine methyltransferase. ..
- Citterio E, Van Den Boom V, Schnitzler G, Kanaar R, Bonte E, Kingston R, et al. ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling by the Cockayne syndrome B DNA repair-transcription-coupling factor. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7643-53 pubmed..CSB is the first repair protein found to play a direct role in modulating nucleosome structure. The relevance of this finding to the interplay between transcription and repair is discussed. ..
- Klose R, Yamane K, Bae Y, Zhang D, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. The transcriptional repressor JHDM3A demethylates trimethyl histone H3 lysine 9 and lysine 36. Nature. 2006;442:312-6 pubmed
- Daujat S, Bauer U, Shah V, Turner B, Berger S, Kouzarides T. Crosstalk between CARM1 methylation and CBP acetylation on histone H3. Curr Biol. 2002;12:2090-7 pubmed..These results reveal an ordered and interdependent deposition of acetylation and arginine methylation during estrogen-regulated transcription and provide support for a combinatorial role of histone modifications in gene expression. ..
- Dawson M, Bannister A, Gottgens B, Foster S, Bartke T, Green A, et al. JAK2 phosphorylates histone H3Y41 and excludes HP1alpha from chromatin. Nature. 2009;461:819-22 pubmed publisher..Tauhese results identify a previously unrecognized nuclear role for JAK2 in the phosphorylation of H3Y41 and reveal a direct mechanistic link between two genes, jak2 and lmo2, involved in normal haematopoiesis and leukaemia. ..
- Foltz D, Jansen L, Bailey A, Yates J, Bassett E, Wood S, et al. Centromere-specific assembly of CENP-a nucleosomes is mediated by HJURP. Cell. 2009;137:472-84 pubmed publisher..We propose HJURP to be a cell-cycle-regulated CENP-A-specific histone chaperone required for centromeric chromatin assembly. ..
- Kutney S, Hong R, Macfarlan T, Chakravarti D. A signaling role of histone-binding proteins and INHAT subunits pp32 and Set/TAF-Ibeta in integrating chromatin hypoacetylation and transcriptional repression. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:30850-5 pubmed..Together, these data define a novel in vivo mechanistic role for the mammalian Set/TAF-Ibeta and pp32 proteins as transducers of chromatin signaling by integrating chromatin hypoacetylation and transcriptional repression. ..
- Rea S, Eisenhaber F, O Carroll D, Strahl B, Sun Z, Schmid M, et al. Regulation of chromatin structure by site-specific histone H3 methyltransferases. Nature. 2000;406:593-9 pubmed..Our data reveal a functional interdependence of site-specific H3 tail modifications and suggest a dynamic mechanism for the regulation of higher-order chromatin. ..
- Xiao B, Jing C, Wilson J, Walker P, Vasisht N, Kelly G, et al. Structure and catalytic mechanism of the human histone methyltransferase SET7/9. Nature. 2003;421:652-6 pubmed
- Eckey M, Hong W, Papaioannou M, Baniahmad A. The nucleosome assembly activity of NAP1 is enhanced by Alien. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3557-68 pubmed..Based on these findings, we present here a novel pathway linking corepressor function with nucleosome assembly activity. ..
- Nakamura T, Mori T, Tada S, Krajewski W, Rozovskaia T, Wassell R, et al. ALL-1 is a histone methyltransferase that assembles a supercomplex of proteins involved in transcriptional regulation. Mol Cell. 2002;10:1119-28 pubmed..In parallel, H3-K4 is methylated, and histones H3 and H4 are acetylated at this promoter. ..
- Wu H, Min J, Lunin V, Antoshenko T, Dombrovski L, Zeng H, et al. Structural biology of human H3K9 methyltransferases. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8570 pubmed publisher..Please note that a web plugin is required to access this enhanced functionality. Instructions for the installation and use of the web plugin are available in Text S1. ..
- Hsu J, Sun Z, Li X, Reuben M, Tatchell K, Bishop D, et al. Mitotic phosphorylation of histone H3 is governed by Ipl1/aurora kinase and Glc7/PP1 phosphatase in budding yeast and nematodes. Cell. 2000;102:279-91 pubmed..Our findings reveal an enzyme system that regulates chromosome dynamics and controls histone phosphorylation that is conserved among diverse eukaryotes. ..
- Yang L, Xia L, Wu D, Wang H, Chansky H, Schubach W, et al. Molecular cloning of ESET, a novel histone H3-specific methyltransferase that interacts with ERG transcription factor. Oncogene. 2002;21:148-52 pubmed..Together, these findings raise the possibility that transcription factor ERG may participate in transcriptional regulation through ESET-mediated histone methylation. ..
- Nishioka K, Chuikov S, Sarma K, Erdjument Bromage H, Allis C, Tempst P, et al. Set9, a novel histone H3 methyltransferase that facilitates transcription by precluding histone tail modifications required for heterochromatin formation. Genes Dev. 2002;16:479-89 pubmed
- Whetstine J, Nottke A, Lan F, Huarte M, Smolikov S, Chen Z, et al. Reversal of histone lysine trimethylation by the JMJD2 family of histone demethylases. Cell. 2006;125:467-81 pubmed..Our finding that this family of demethylases generates different methylated states at the same lysine residue provides a mechanism for fine-tuning histone methylation. ..
- Koessler H, Doenecke D, Albig W. Aberrant expression pattern of replication-dependent histone h3 subtype genes in human tumor cell lines. DNA Cell Biol. 2003;22:233-41 pubmed..We conclude that the varied expression pattern of the replication-dependent histone H3 genes in the examined human tumor cell lines is most probably due to epigenetic factors, such as the chromosomal context in the different cell lines. ..
- Agger K, Cloos P, Christensen J, Pasini D, Rose S, Rappsilber J, et al. UTX and JMJD3 are histone H3K27 demethylases involved in HOX gene regulation and development. Nature. 2007;449:731-4 pubmed..8) supports a model in which the coordinated removal of repressive marks, polycomb group displacement, and deposition of activating marks are important for the stringent regulation of transcription during cellular differentiation. ..
- Shen M, Bunaciu R, Congleton J, Jensen H, Sayam L, Varner J, et al. Interferon regulatory factor-1 binds c-Cbl, enhances mitogen activated protein kinase signaling and promotes retinoic acid-induced differentiation of HL-60 human myelo-monoblastic leukemia cells. Leuk Lymphoma. 2011;52:2372-9 pubmed publisher..The data are consistent with a model whereby IRF-1 acts downstream of RA and AhR to enhance Raf/MEK/ERK activation and propel differentiation. ..
- Lin Y, Wu Y, Li J, Dong C, Ye X, Chi Y, et al. The SNAG domain of Snail1 functions as a molecular hook for recruiting lysine-specific demethylase 1. EMBO J. 2010;29:1803-16 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that the SNAG domain of Snail1 resembles a histone H3-like structure and functions as a molecular hook for recruiting LSD1 to repress gene expression in metastasis. ..
- Adams Cioaba M, Li Z, Tempel W, Guo Y, Bian C, Li Y, et al. Crystal structures of the Tudor domains of human PHF20 reveal novel structural variations on the Royal Family of proteins. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:859-65 pubmed publisher..We also confirm previous studies suggesting that the second Tudor domain of PHF20 exhibits preference for dimethylated histone substrates. ..
- Kim J, Yang C, Stallcup M. Downstream signaling mechanism of the C-terminal activation domain of transcriptional coactivator CoCoA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:2736-50 pubmed
- Wike C, Graves H, Hawkins R, Gibson M, Ferdinand M, Zhang T, et al. Aurora-A mediated histone H3 phosphorylation of threonine 118 controls condensin I and cohesin occupancy in mitosis. elife. 2016;5:e11402 pubmed publisher..We propose that H3 T118ph alters the chromatin structure during specific phases of mitosis to promote timely condensin I and cohesin disassociation, which is essential for effective chromosome segregation. ..
- Jelinic P, Stehle J, Shaw P. The testis-specific factor CTCFL cooperates with the protein methyltransferase PRMT7 in H19 imprinting control region methylation. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e355 pubmed..These results suggest that CTCFL and PRMT7 may play a role in male germline imprinted gene methylation. ..
- Nair S, Nair B, Cortez V, Chakravarty D, Metzger E, Schüle R, et al. PELP1 is a reader of histone H3 methylation that facilitates oestrogen receptor-alpha target gene activation by regulating lysine demethylase 1 specificity. EMBO Rep. 2010;11:438-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PELP1 is a reader of H3 methylation marks and has a crucial role in modulating the histone code at the ERalpha target genes. ..
- Musselman C, Mansfield R, Garske A, Davrazou F, Kwan A, Oliver S, et al. Binding of the CHD4 PHD2 finger to histone H3 is modulated by covalent modifications. Biochem J. 2009;423:179-87 pubmed publisher..Together our findings suggest that the PHD2 finger plays a role in targeting of the CHD4/NuRD complex to chromatin. ..
- Hait N, Allegood J, Maceyka M, STRUB G, Harikumar K, Singh S, et al. Regulation of histone acetylation in the nucleus by sphingosine-1-phosphate. Science. 2009;325:1254-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, HDACs are direct intracellular targets of S1P and link nuclear S1P to epigenetic regulation of gene expression. ..
- Ask K, Jasencakova Z, Menard P, Feng Y, Almouzni G, Groth A. Codanin-1, mutated in the anaemic disease CDAI, regulates Asf1 function in S-phase histone supply. EMBO J. 2012;31:2013-23 pubmed publisher..This function is compromised by two CDAI mutations that impair complex formation with Asf1, providing insight into the molecular basis for CDAI disease. ..
- Bleuyard J, Buisson R, Masson J, Esashi F. ChAM, a novel motif that mediates PALB2 intrinsic chromatin binding and facilitates DNA repair. EMBO Rep. 2012;13:135-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PALB2 chromatin association via ChAM facilitates PALB2 function in the cellular resistance to DNA damage. ..
- An S, Yeo K, Jeon Y, Song J. Crystal structure of the human histone methyltransferase ASH1L catalytic domain and its implications for the regulatory mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8369-74 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that human ASH1L specifically methylates histone H3 Lys-36. Our data implicate that there may be a regulatory mechanism of ASH1L histone methyltransferases. ..
- Kalkhoven E, Teunissen H, Houweling A, Verrijzer C, Zantema A. The PHD type zinc finger is an integral part of the CBP acetyltransferase domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1961-70 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that the PHD finger forms an integral part of the enzymatic core of the HAT domain of CBP. ..
- Olcina M, Leszczynska K, Senra J, Isa N, Harada H, Hammond E. H3K9me3 facilitates hypoxia-induced p53-dependent apoptosis through repression of APAK. Oncogene. 2016;35:793-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate the functional importance of H3K9me3 in hypoxia, and they provide a novel mechanistic link between H3K9me3, p53 and apoptosis in physiologically relevant conditions of hypoxia. ..
- Duvall Noelle N, Karwandyar A, Richmond A, Raman D. LASP-1: a nuclear hub for the UHRF1-DNMT1-G9a-Snail1 complex. Oncogene. 2016;35:1122-33 pubmed publisher..LASP-1 also directly bound to Snail1 which may stabilize Snail1. Thus, nuclear LASP-1 appears to functionally serve as a hub for the epigenetic machinery. ..
- Otani J, Nankumo T, Arita K, Inamoto S, Ariyoshi M, Shirakawa M. Structural basis for recognition of H3K4 methylation status by the DNA methyltransferase 3A ATRX-DNMT3-DNMT3L domain. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:1235-41 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that de novo DNA methylation by DNMT3A requires the alteration of chromatin structure. ..
- Fnu S, Williamson E, De Haro L, BRENNEMAN M, Wray J, Shaheen M, et al. Methylation of histone H3 lysine 36 enhances DNA repair by nonhomologous end-joining. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:540-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, these experiments define a histone methylation event that enhances DNA DSB repair by NHEJ. ..
- Migliori V, Müller J, Phalke S, Low D, Bezzi M, Mok W, et al. Symmetric dimethylation of H3R2 is a newly identified histone mark that supports euchromatin maintenance. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:136-44 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify H3R2me2s as a previously unknown mark that keeps genes poised in euchromatin for transcriptional activation upon cell-cycle withdrawal and differentiation in human cells...
- Seo S, Macfarlan T, McNamara P, Hong R, Mukai Y, Heo S, et al. Regulation of histone acetylation and transcription by nuclear protein pp32, a subunit of the INHAT complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:14005-10 pubmed
- Zheng Y, Sanchez Guerra M, Zhang Z, Joyce B, Zhong J, Kresovich J, et al. Traffic-derived particulate matter exposure and histone H3 modification: A repeated measures study. Environ Res. 2017;153:112-119 pubmed publisher..Future studies should assess the roles of these modifications in human diseases and as potential mediators of air pollution-induced disease, in particular BC exposure. ..
- Han Z, Guo L, Wang H, Shen Y, Deng X, Chai J. Structural basis for the specific recognition of methylated histone H3 lysine 4 by the WD-40 protein WDR5. Mol Cell. 2006;22:137-44 pubmed..Both structural and biochemical studies presented here suggest another mode of recognition for the methylated histone tail. ..
- Shen W, Krishnan K, Lawrence H, Largman C. The HOX homeodomain proteins block CBP histone acetyltransferase activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7509-22 pubmed
- MacConaill L, Hughes C, Rozenblatt Rosen O, Nannepaga S, Meyerson M. Phosphorylation of the menin tumor suppressor protein on serine 543 and serine 583. Mol Cancer Res. 2006;4:793-801 pubmed..Chromatin immunoprecipitation experiments reveal that binding of menin to the Hoxc8 locus is not affected by phosphorylation on Ser543 or Ser583. ..
- Xu W, Edmondson D, Roth S. Mammalian GCN5 and P/CAF acetyltransferases have homologous amino-terminal domains important for recognition of nucleosomal substrates. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:5659-69 pubmed..Thus, the unique amino-terminal domains of mammalian P/CAF and GCN5 may provide additional functions important to recognition of chromatin substrates and the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Bonfiglio J, Fontana P, Zhang Q, Colby T, Gibbs Seymour I, Atanassov I, et al. Serine ADP-Ribosylation Depends on HPF1. Mol Cell. 2017;65:932-940.e6 pubmed publisher..We propose that O-linked protein ADPr is the key signal in PARP-1/PARP-2-dependent processes that govern genome stability. ..
- Kouskouti A, Talianidis I. Histone modifications defining active genes persist after transcriptional and mitotic inactivation. EMBO J. 2005;24:347-57 pubmed..The findings suggest that histone modifications may function as molecular memory bookmarks for previously active locations of the genome, thus contributing to the maintenance of active chromatin states through cell division. ..
- Qiao Y, Kang K, Giannopoulou E, Fang C, Ivashkiv L. IFN-Î³ Induces Histone 3 Lysine 27 Trimethylation in a Small Subset of Promoters to Stably Silence Gene Expression in Human Macrophages. Cell Rep. 2016;16:3121-3129 pubmed publisher..IFN-Î³-induced macrophage activation is thus reinforced by a chromatin-based mechanism that blocks anti-inflammatory and opposing pathways. ..
- Wu W, Togashi Y, Johmura Y, Miyoshi Y, Nobuoka S, Nakanishi M, et al. HP1 regulates the localization of FANCJ at sites of DNA double-strand breaks. Cancer Sci. 2016;107:1406-1415 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results suggest that the BRCA1-FANCJ and BRCA1-CtIP complexes are not downstream of the RNF8/RNF168/ubiquitin pathway, but are instead regulated by the HP1 pathway that precedes homologous recombination DNA repair. ..
- Suganuma T, Kawabata M, Ohshima T, Ikeda M. Growth suppression of human carcinoma cells by reintroduction of the p300 coactivator. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:13073-8 pubmed..These results provide experimental evidence to show that p300 acts as a suppressor of tumor cell growth and suggest a distinct role of p300 in suppression of epithelial tumors. ..
- Huang Y, Fang J, Bedford M, Zhang Y, Xu R. Recognition of histone H3 lysine-4 methylation by the double tudor domain of JMJD2A. Science. 2006;312:748-51 pubmed..Our study provides mechanistic insights into recognition of methylated histone tails by tudor domains and reveals the structural intricacy of methyl-lysine recognition by two closely spaced effector domains. ..
- Pal S, Vishwanath S, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, SIF S. Human SWI/SNF-associated PRMT5 methylates histone H3 arginine 8 and negatively regulates expression of ST7 and NM23 tumor suppressor genes. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9630-45 pubmed..These findings suggest that the BRG1- and hBRM-associated PRMT5 regulates cell growth and proliferation by controlling expression of genes involved in tumor suppression. ..
- Aboian M, Solomon D, Felton E, Mabray M, Villanueva Meyer J, Mueller S, et al. Imaging Characteristics of Pediatric Diffuse Midline Gliomas with Histone H3 K27M Mutation. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2017;38:795-800 pubmed publisher..Similar to the heterogeneous histologic features among these tumors, they also have a diverse imaging appearance without distinguishing features from histone H3 wildtype diffuse gliomas. ..
- Patel S, Kim D, Levitan I, Dressler G. The BRCT-domain containing protein PTIP links PAX2 to a histone H3, lysine 4 methyltransferase complex. Dev Cell. 2007;13:580-92 pubmed..Embryonic lethal ptip-null mutants and conditional mutants both show reduced levels of methylated H3K4. Thus, PTIP bridges DNA-binding developmental regulators to histone methyltransferase-dependent epigenetic regulation. ..
- Smith E, Cayrou C, Huang R, Lane W, Cote J, Lucchesi J. A human protein complex homologous to the Drosophila MSL complex is responsible for the majority of histone H4 acetylation at lysine 16. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9175-88 pubmed..This is of particular interest given the recent correlation of global loss of acetylation of lysine 16 in histone H4 with tumorigenesis. ..
- Loven M, Davis R, Curtis C, Muster N, Yates J, Nardulli A. A novel estrogen receptor alpha-associated protein alters receptor-deoxyribonucleic acid interactions and represses receptor-mediated transcription. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:2649-59 pubmed
- Jiang D, Gu X, He Y. Establishment of the winter-annual growth habit via FRIGIDA-mediated histone methylation at FLOWERING LOCUS C in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2009;21:1733-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that FRI is involved in the enrichment of a WDR5a-containing COMPASS-like complex at FLC chromatin that methylates H3K4, leading to FLC upregulation and thus the establishment of the winter-annual growth habit. ..
- Bordoli L, Hüsser S, Lüthi U, Netsch M, Osmani H, Eckner R. Functional analysis of the p300 acetyltransferase domain: the PHD finger of p300 but not of CBP is dispensable for enzymatic activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:4462-71 pubmed
- Kato D, Osakabe A, Tachiwana H, Tanaka H, Kurumizaka H. Human tNASP promotes in vitro nucleosome assembly with histone H3.3. Biochemistry. 2015;54:1171-9 pubmed publisher..1-H4 complex. These results provide evidence that tNASP is ubiquitously produced in various types of human tissues and promotes in vitro nucleosome assembly with H3 variant specificity. ..
- Lavigne M, Eskeland R, Azebi S, Saint André V, Jang S, Batsche E, et al. Interaction of HP1 and Brg1/Brm with the globular domain of histone H3 is required for HP1-mediated repression. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000769 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data suggest that HP1 chromoshadow-domains can benefit from the opening of nucleosomal structures to bind chromatin and that HP1 proteins use this property to detect and arrest unwanted chromatin remodeling. ..
- Karetsou Z, Emmanouilidou A, Sanidas I, Liokatis S, Nikolakaki E, Politou A, et al. Identification of distinct SET/TAF-Ibeta domains required for core histone binding and quantitative characterisation of the interaction. BMC Biochem. 2009;10:10 pubmed publisher..Our findings are consistent with recent structural studies of SET/TAF-Ibeta and can be valuable to understand the role of SET/TAF-Ibeta in chromatin function. ..
- Kanno T, Kanno Y, Siegel R, Jang M, Lenardo M, Ozato K. Selective recognition of acetylated histones by bromodomain proteins visualized in living cells. Mol Cell. 2004;13:33-43 pubmed..Thus the recognition of histone acetylation code by bromodomains is selective, is involved in transcription, and potentially conveys transcriptional memory across cell divisions. ..
- Sassone Corsi P, Mizzen C, Cheung P, Crosio C, Monaco L, Jacquot S, et al. Requirement of Rsk-2 for epidermal growth factor-activated phosphorylation of histone H3. Science. 1999;285:886-91 pubmed..H3 appears to be a direct or indirect target of Rsk-2, suggesting that chromatin remodeling might contribute to mitogen-activated protein kinase-regulated gene expression. ..
- Chung H, Xu C, Fuchs A, Mund A, Lange M, Staege H, et al. PHF13 is a molecular reader and transcriptional co-regulator of H3K4me2/3. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Together our findings argue that PHF13 is an H3K4me2/3 molecular reader and transcriptional co-regulator, affording it the ability to impact different chromatin processes. ..
- Naeem H, Cheng D, Zhao Q, Underhill C, Tini M, Bedford M, et al. The activity and stability of the transcriptional coactivator p/CIP/SRC-3 are regulated by CARM1-dependent methylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:120-34 pubmed..Collectively, our data highlight coactivator methylation as an important regulatory mechanism in hormonal signaling. ..
- Klement K, Luijsterburg M, Pinder J, Cena C, Del Nero V, Wintersinger C, et al. Opposing ISWI- and CHD-class chromatin remodeling activities orchestrate heterochromatic DNA repair. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:717-33 pubmed publisher..1 and ACF1), which we suggest necessitates a two-step dispersal and recruitment system regulating these opposing chromatin remodeling activities during DSB repair. ..
- Wildhagen K, Wiewel M, Schultz M, Horn J, Schrijver R, Reutelingsperger C, et al. Extracellular histone H3 levels are inversely correlated with antithrombin levels and platelet counts and are associated with mortality in sepsis patients. Thromb Res. 2015;136:542-7 pubmed publisher..34, P=0.027) and platelet counts (rho=-0.33, P=0.031). We conclude that circulating H3 levels correlate with mortality in sepsis patients and inversely correlate with antithrombin levels and platelet counts. ..
- Kitabayashi I, Aikawa Y, Nguyen L, Yokoyama A, Ohki M. Activation of AML1-mediated transcription by MOZ and inhibition by the MOZ-CBP fusion protein. EMBO J. 2001;20:7184-96 pubmed..These results suggest that MOZ-CBP might induce leukemia by antagonizing the function of the AML1 complex. ..
- Keller K, Doctor Z, Dwyer Z, Lee Y. SAICAR induces protein kinase activity of PKM2 that is necessary for sustained proliferative signaling of cancer cells. Mol Cell. 2014;53:700-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ligand-induced protein kinase activity from PKM2 is a mechanism that directly couples cell proliferation with intracellular metabolic status. ..