Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CD44
Description: CD44 molecule (Indian blood group)
Alias: CDW44, CSPG8, ECMR-III, HCELL, HUTCH-I, LHR, MC56, MDU2, MDU3, MIC4, Pgp1, CD44 antigen, GP90 lymphocyte homing/adhesion receptor, Hermes antigen, cell surface glycoprotein CD44, chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan 8, epican, extracellular matrix receptor III, hematopoietic cell E- and L-selectin ligand, heparan sulfate proteoglycan, homing function and Indian blood group system, hyaluronate receptor, phagocytic glycoprotein 1, soluble CD44
Publications348 found, 100 shown here
- CD44 isoforms are heterogeneously expressed in breast cancer and correlate with tumor subtypes and cancer stem cell markersEleonor Olsson
Department of Oncology, Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
BMC Cancer 11:418. 2011The CD44 cell adhesion molecule is aberrantly expressed in many breast tumors and has been implicated in the metastatic process as well as in the putative cancer stem cell (CSC) compartment...
- CD44 variant regulates redox status in cancer cells by stabilizing the xCT subunit of system xc(-) and thereby promotes tumor growthTakatsugu Ishimoto
Division of Gene Regulation, Institute for Advanced Medical Research, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Cancer Cell 19:387-400. 2011b>CD44 is an adhesion molecule expressed in cancer stem-like cells. Here, we show that a CD44 variant (CD44v) interacts with xCT, a glutamate-cystine transporter, and controls the intracellular level of reduced glutathione (GSH)...
- Transforming growth factor-β1 (TGF-β1)-stimulated fibroblast to myofibroblast differentiation is mediated by hyaluronan (HA)-facilitated epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and CD44 co-localization in lipid raftsAdam C Midgley
Institute of Nephrology, School of Medicine and Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair, University of Cardiff, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 288:14824-38. 2013..Both the HA receptor, CD44, and the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) are involved in this differentiation response...
- Hierarchical organization of prostate cancer cells in xenograft tumors: the CD44+alpha2beta1+ cell population is enriched in tumor-initiating cellsLubna Patrawala
Department of Carcinogenesis, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Research Division, 1808 Park Road 1C, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Cancer Res 67:6796-805. 2007..Highly purified CD44(+) prostate cancer cells from several xenografts are also enriched in prostate cancer stem/progenitor cells...
- Growth-inhibitory and tumor- suppressive functions of p53 depend on its repression of CD44 expressionSamuel Godar
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 134:62-73. 2008..Here, we show that under conditions of basal physiologic and cell-culture stress, p53 inhibits expression of the CD44 cell-surface molecule via binding to a noncanonical p53-binding sequence in the CD44 promoter...
- The role of CD44+/CD24-/low biomarker for screening, diagnosis and monitoring of breast cancerRosa Camerlingo
Department of Experimental Oncology, National Cancer Institute, G Pascale, Naples, Italy
Oncol Rep 31:1127-32. 2014..CSCs have been isolated from breast cancer using CD44+/CD24-/low phenotype...
- Unique SNP in CD44 intron 1 and its role in breast cancer developmentJuhua Zhou
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29209, USA
Anticancer Res 30:1263-72. 2010In the current study, we investigated if CD44 polymorphisms are associated with increased susceptibility to breast cancer...
- Intense CD44 expression is a negative prognostic factor in tonsillar and base of tongue cancerDavid Lindquist
Center for Clinical Research Dalarna, Falun, Sweden
Anticancer Res 32:153-61. 2012..The identification of additional predictive markers for response to therapy could still be of great use...
- HIV-1 Gag associates with specific uropod-directed microdomains in a manner dependent on its MA highly basic regionG Nicholas Llewellyn
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Virol 87:6441-54. 2013..prior to membrane curvature, Gag multimers associate with a specific subset of UDMs containing PSGL-1, CD43, and CD44 but not ICAM-1, ICAM-3, or CD59...
- CD44v4 is a major E-selectin ligand that mediates breast cancer cell transendothelial migrationKe Zen
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
PLoS ONE 3:e1826. 2008..However, the counterreceptor for E-selectin and its role in mediating breast cancer cell transendothelial migration remain unknown...
- Differential expression of HIF-1α in CD44+CD24-/low breast ductal carcinomasJoao Paulo Oliveira-Costa
Department of Pathology, Ribeirao Preto Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Diagn Pathol 6:73. 2011..There are evidence that hypoxia could drive the maintenance of CSC, via HIF-1α expression, but it still to be determined whether hypoxia markers are expressed in breast tumors presenting CD44+CD24-/low immunophenotype.
- Non-small cell lung cancer cells expressing CD44 are enriched for stem cell-like propertiesElaine Lai Han Leung
Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region, China
PLoS ONE 5:e14062. 2010..To investigate whether the hypothesis is applicable to lung cancer, identification of lung CSC and demonstration of these capacities is essential...
- Hyaluronan-CD44 interaction activates stem cell marker Nanog, Stat-3-mediated MDR1 gene expression, and ankyrin-regulated multidrug efflux in breast and ovarian tumor cellsLilly Y W Bourguignon
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, and Endocrine Unit, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 283:17635-51. 2008..In this study we investigated HA-induced interaction between CD44 (a HA receptor) and Nanog (an embryonic stem cell transcription factor) in both human breast tumor cells (MCF-7 ..
- Endothelial cell-initiated signaling promotes the survival and self-renewal of cancer stem cellsSudha Krishnamurthy
Angiogenesis Research Laboratory, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Cancer Res 70:9969-78. 2010..Here, we used aldehyde dehydrogenase activity and CD44 expression to sort putative stem cells from primary human HNSCC...
- Lymphocyte CD44 binds the COOH-terminal heparin-binding domain of fibronectinS Jalkanen
Department of Medical Microbiology, Turku University, Finland
J Cell Biol 116:817-25. 1992..Affinity-purified CD44 antigen was, on the other hand, observed to bind native Type I collagen fibrils, laminin, and fibronectin, but not ..
- CD44 engagement promotes matrix-derived survival through the CD44-SRC-integrin axis in lipid raftsJia Lin Lee
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, 128 Section 2 Academia Road, Taipei 11529, Taiwan, Republic of China
Mol Cell Biol 28:5710-23. 2008b>CD44 is present in detergent-resistant, cholesterol-rich microdomains, called lipid rafts, in many types of cells. However, the functional significance of CD44 in lipid rafts is still unknown...
- CD44 anchors the assembly of matrilysin/MMP-7 with heparin-binding epidermal growth factor precursor and ErbB4 and regulates female reproductive organ remodelingWei Hsuan Yu
Molecular Pathology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Genes Dev 16:307-23. 2002..We demonstrate here that CD44 heparan sulfate proteoglycan (CD44HSPG) recruits proteolytically active matrix metalloproteinase 7 (matrilysin, MMP-7) and heparin-..
- Osteopontin promotes integrin activation through outside-in and inside-out mechanisms: OPN-CD44V interaction enhances survival in gastrointestinal cancer cellsJia Lin Lee
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, 128 Section 2 Academia Road, Taipei 11529, Taiwan
Cancer Res 67:2089-97. 2007Osteopontin (OPN) and splice variants of CD44 (CD44(V)) have independently been identified as markers for tumor progression...
- Targeting of CD44 eradicates human acute myeloid leukemic stem cellsLiqing Jin
Division of Cell and Molecular Biology, University Health Network Suite 8 355, Toronto Medical Discovery Tower, 101 College Street, Toronto, M5G 1L7, Canada
Nat Med 12:1167-74. 2006..We report a therapeutic approach using an activating monoclonal antibody directed to the adhesion molecule CD44. In vivo administration of this antibody to nonobese diabetic-severe combined immune-deficient mice transplanted ..
- Chemosensitivity profiles identify polymorphisms in the p53 network genes 14-3-3tau and CD44 that affect sarcoma incidence and survivalAlexei Vazquez
The Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
Cancer Res 70:172-80. 2010..The greatest differences are observed for SNPs in 14-3-3tau (YWHAQ; rs6734469, P=5.6x10(-47)) and CD44 (rs187115, P=8.1x10(-24))...
- Eta-1 (osteopontin): an early component of type-1 (cell-mediated) immunityS Ashkar
Laboratory for Skeletal Disorders and Rehabilitation, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 287:860-4. 2000..Eta-1 and its integrin receptor stimulated IL-12 expression, whereas a phosphorylation-independent interaction with CD44 inhibited IL-10 expression...
- CD44 interaction with c-Src kinase promotes cortactin-mediated cytoskeleton function and hyaluronic acid-dependent ovarian tumor cell migrationL Y Bourguignon
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Miami, Florida 33101, USA
J Biol Chem 276:7327-36. 2001In this study we have demonstrated that both CD44 (the hyaluronan (HA) receptor) and c-Src kinase are expressed in human ovarian tumor cells (SK-OV-3...
- Characterization of the expression of variant and standard CD44 in prostate cancer cells: identification of the possible molecular mechanism of CD44/MMP9 complex formation on the cell surfaceB Desai
Department of Oncology and Diagnostic Sciences, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Cell Biochem 108:272-84. 2009b>CD44 is a glycosylated adhesion molecule and osteopontin is one of its ligand. CD44 undergoes alternative splicing to produce variant isoforms...
- CD44: a new means to inhibit acute myeloid leukemia cell proliferation via p27Kip1Zeineb Gadhoum
Inserm EMI 00 03, Institut Universitaire d Hematologie, Hopital Saint Louis, 10, avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Blood 103:1059-68. 2004..We have recently shown that ligation of CD44, a cell surface molecule present on AML cells, with specific monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) inhibits their ..
- Targeting CD44-STAT3 signaling by Gemini vitamin D analog leads to inhibition of invasion in basal-like breast cancerJae Young So
Department of Chemical Biology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e54020. 2013b>CD44, a transmembrane glycoprotein, is a major receptor for extracellular proteins involved in invasion and metastasis of human cancers...
- The hyaluronic acid receptor CD44 coordinates normal and metaplastic gastric epithelial progenitor cell proliferationShradha S Khurana
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 288:16085-97. 2013..Here we show that CD44 labels a population of small, undifferentiated cells in the gastric unit isthmus where stem cells are known to ..
- Clinical and prognostic significance of HIF-1α, PTEN, CD44v6, and survivin for gastric cancer: a meta-analysisJing Chen
Department of Medical Genetic and Cell Biology, Ningxia Medical University, Yinchuan, China Key Laboratory of Fertility Preservation and Maintenance Ningxia Medical University, Ministry of Education, Yinchuan, China
PLoS ONE 9:e91842. 2014..This study was to quantitatively summarize published data for evaluating the clinical and prognostic significance of four proteins involved in hypoxia-inducible factor-1 (HIF-1α) regulation of the metastasis cascade...
- Clinical implication and mitotic effect of CD44 cleavage in relation to osteopontin/CD44 interaction and dysregulated cell cycle protein in gastrointestinal stromal tumorKai Hsi Hsu
Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, College of Medicine, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Ann Surg Oncol 17:2199-212. 2010b>CD44 and osteopontin (OPN) are functionally related molecules that, alone or in combination, play miscellaneous biological and pathophysiologic roles...
- CD44 directs membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase to lamellipodia by associating with its hemopexin-like domainHidetoshi Mori
Department of Cancer Cell Research, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8639, Japan
EMBO J 21:3949-59. 2002..The PEX domain of MT1-MMP was indispensable in promoting cell migration and CD44H shedding...
- Identification of CD44 as a downstream target of noncanonical NF-κB pathway activated by human T-cell leukemia virus type 1-encoded Tax proteinJing Zhang
Research and Development Center, Fuso Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd, 2 3 30 Morinomiya, Joto ku, Osaka 536 8523, Japan
Virology 413:244-52. 2011..As an extension, we investigated here the possible influence of Tax on CD44, an important receptor for OPN...
- Hyaluronan facilitates transforming growth factor-β1-dependent proliferation via CD44 and epidermal growth factor receptor interactionSoma Meran
Institute of Nephrology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:17618-30. 2011..oral and dermal fibroblasts, we show that TGF-β1-dependent proliferation is mediated through the HA receptor CD44, whereas the TGF-β1-mediated antiproliferative response is CD44-independent...
- CD44 and HCELL: preventing hematogenous metastasis at step 1Pieter P Jacobs
Department of Dermatology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
FEBS Lett 585:3148-58. 2011..characteristically express CD44, and there is increasing evidence that hematopoietic cell E-/L-selectin ligand (HCELL), a sialofucosylated glycoform of CD44, serves as the major selectin ligand on cancer cells, allowing interaction ..
- Relationship between LYVE-1, VEGFR-3 and CD44 gene expressions and lymphatic metastasis in gastric cancerFusun Ozmen
Department of Basic Oncology, Hacettepe University Institute of Oncology, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 17:3220-8. 2011..levels of lymphatic vessel endothelial hyaluronan receptor-1 (LYVE-1), vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-3 (VEGFR-3) and CD44 genes and the relationship between their levels and clinicopathological parameters in gastric cancer.
- The utility of CD44, CD117 and CD133 in identification of cancer stem cells (CSC) in oral squamous cell carcinomas (OSCC)Cl Mărgăritescu
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Craiova, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 52:985-93. 2011..We were interested to establish the tissular localization pattern for cells expressing CD44, CD133 and CD117 in tumoral samples...
- LRP-1--CD44, a new cell surface complex regulating tumor cell adhesionGwenn Perrot
Universite de Reims Champagne Ardenne, Unité MEDyC, CNRS FRE 3481, Laboratoire SiRMa, Campus Moulin de la Housse, Reims, France
Mol Cell Biol 32:3293-307. 2012..Here, we observed that LRP-1 silencing or RAP (receptor-associated protein) treatment led to accumulation of CD44 at the tumor cell surface...
- HIV-1 infection-induced apoptotic microparticles inhibit human DCs via CD44Davor Frleta
New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Clin Invest 122:4685-97. 2012..Apoptotic microparticles bound to and inhibited DCs through the hyaluronate receptor CD44...
- Differential immunohistochemical expression of CD44s, E-cadherin and β-catenin among hyperplastic and neoplastic lesions of the prostate glandParaskevi Lazari
Department of Pathology, Hellenic Red Cross Hospital, Athens, Greece paraslazari yahoo gr
Urol Int 90:109-16. 2013..We studied the expression of these CAMs in prostate cancer (PCa), high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) and nodular adenomatous hyperplasia (NH)...
- Expression of CD44v6 and integrin-β1 for the prognosis evaluation of pancreatic cancer patients after cryosurgeryGang Zhou
Department of Oncology, The GIBH Affiliated Fuda Hospital, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510305, China
Diagn Pathol 8:146. 2013..Many previous studies demonstrated that cell adhesion molecules CD44v6 and integrin-β1 had been extensively investigated as potential prognostic markers of various cancers. However, data in PC are scarce...
- CD44 splice variants confer metastatic behavior in rats: homologous sequences are expressed in human tumor cell linesM Hofmann
Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Institut fur Genetik und Toxikologie, Federal Republic of Germany
Cancer Res 51:5292-7. 1991One of several splice variants of CD44 expressed in metastasizing cell lines of rat tumors has been shown to confer metastatic potential to the non-metastatic variant of a rat pancreatic carcinoma line (U. Günthert et al...
- CD44 is the principal cell surface receptor for hyaluronateA Aruffo
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Cell 61:1303-13. 1990..We have created soluble CD44-immunoglobulin fusion proteins and characterized their reactivity with tissue sections and lymph node high ..
- CD44 regulates arteriogenesis in mice and is differentially expressed in patients with poor and good collateralizationN van Royen
Department of Cardiology, Room B2 114, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circulation 109:1647-52. 2004..b>CD44 glycoproteins are involved in leukocyte extravasation but also in the regulation of growth factor activation, ..
- Identification of glycoprotein markers for pancreatic cancer CD24+CD44+ stem-like cells using nano-LC-MS/MS and tissue microarrayJianhui Zhu
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0656, United States
J Proteome Res 11:2272-81. 2012..Herein, the malignant phenotype of pancreatic cancer stem-like CD24+CD44+ cells was isolated from a human pancreatic carcinoma cell line (PANC-1) and demonstrated 4-fold increased invasion ..
- Clinicopathological significance of fascin and CD44v6 expression in endometrioid carcinomaBanu Dogan Gun
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Bulent Ecevit University, 67100 Kozlu, Zonguldak, Turkey
Diagn Pathol 7:80. 2012..We aimed to investigate the expressions of both fascin and CD44v6 in endometrioid carcinomas and to evaluate their inter-relation with clinicopathological parameters...
- Expression of the CD44 cell adhesion molecule in urinary bladder transitional cell carcinomaJ S Ross
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Albany Medical College, New York 12208, USA
Mod Pathol 9:854-60. 1996CD44 cell adhesion molecule (PgP-1, ECM III, Hermes antigen) is a polymorphic integral membrane glycoprotein associated with cell matrix adhesion, lymphocyte activation, recirculation, and homing...
- CD44 is a major E-selectin ligand on human hematopoietic progenitor cellsC J Dimitroff
Department of Dermatology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cell Biol 153:1277-86. 2001..on human HPCs is an E-selectin ligand, and that HPCs also express a previously unrecognized E-selectin ligand, CD44. The E-selectin ligand activity of CD44 is conferred by the elaboration of sialylated, fucosylated binding ..
- Proteinase-mediated release of epithelial cell-associated CD44. Extracellular CD44 complexes with components of cellular matricesJoanna Cichy
Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4268, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44440-7. 2002..CD44 plays a role in autoimmunity, inflammation, and tumor progression. Soluble CD44 (sCD44) is found in plasma, and the levels of sCD44 correlate with immune function and some malignancies...
- HGF-promoted motility in primary human melanocytes depends on CD44v6 regulated via NF-kappa B, Egr-1, and C/EBP-betaSabine Damm
Cancer Biology Unit, Department of Dermatology, Medical University Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 8, Graz, Austria
J Invest Dermatol 130:1893-903. 2010The regulation of CD44v6, a variant of the CD44 family of glycosylated adhesion molecules, through hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) has implications for motility in primary human melanocytes...
- Expression of monocarboxylate transporters 1, 2, and 4 in human tumours and their association with CD147 and CD44Celine Pinheiro
Life and Health Sciences Research Institute ICVS, School of Health Sciences, University of Minho, Campus of Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:427694. 2010..analysed MCT1, MCT2, and MCT4 protein expression in breast, colon, lung, and ovary neoplasms, as well as CD147 and CD44. MCT expression frequency was high and heterogeneous among the different tumours...
- Analysis of CD44-hyaluronan interactions in an artificial membrane system: insights into the distinct binding properties of high and low molecular weight hyaluronanPatricia M Wolny
Biosurfaces Unit, Centro de Investigacion Cooperativa en Biomateriales, Paseo Miramon 182, 20009 Donostia San Sebastian, Spain
J Biol Chem 285:30170-80. 2010b>CD44 is a major cell surface receptor for the large polydisperse glycosaminoglycan hyaluronan (HA). Binding of the long and flexible HA chains is thought to be stabilized by the multivalent nature of the sugar molecule...
- CD44 expression predicts local recurrence after radiotherapy in larynx cancerMonique C de Jong
Department of Experimental Therapy, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, The Netherlands
Clin Cancer Res 16:5329-38. 2010..To find molecular markers from expression profiling data to predict recurrence of laryngeal cancer after radiotherapy...
- The JAK2/STAT3 signaling pathway is required for growth of CD44⁺CD24⁻ stem cell-like breast cancer cells in human tumorsLauren L C Marotta
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 121:2723-35. 2011..We previously characterized 2 cell populations in human breast tumors with distinct properties: CD44+CD24- cells that have stem cell-like characteristics, and CD44-CD24+ cells that resemble more differentiated breast ..
- Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein 1 induces cancer stem/progenitor-like cells in nasopharyngeal epithelial cell linesSatoru Kondo
Division of Otolaryngology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 8640, Japan
J Virol 85:11255-64. 2011..Analysis of cancer stem cell markers reveals that LMP1 induces the CD44(high) CD24(low) CSC/CPC-like phenotype as well as self-renewal abilities in LMP1-expressing epithelial cell lines...
- Hyaluronan-mediated CD44 interaction with p300 and SIRT1 regulates beta-catenin signaling and NFkappaB-specific transcription activity leading to MDR1 and Bcl-xL gene expression and chemoresistance in breast tumor cellsLilly Y W Bourguignon
Department of Medicine, Endocrine Unit 111N2, University of California at San Francisco and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 284:2657-71. 2009In this study we have investigated hyaluronan (HA)-mediated CD44 (an HA receptor) interactions with p300 (a histone acetyltransferase) and SIRT1 (a histone deacetylase) in human breast tumor cells (MCF-7 cells)...
- CD44+ cancer cells express higher levels of the anti-apoptotic protein Bcl-2 in breast tumoursZahra Madjd
Department of Pathology, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Cancer Immun 9:4. 2009..The capacity for breast tumour development has been shown to be restricted to breast cancer stem cells with the CD44+/CD24(-/low) phenotype. These cells can resist apoptosis through mechanisms such as the regulation of Bcl-2...
- A CD44v6 peptide reveals a role of CD44 in VEGFR-2 signaling and angiogenesisMartina Tremmel
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Institute for Toxicology and Genetics, Karlsruhe, Germany
Blood 114:5236-44. 2009A specific splice variant of the CD44 cell- surface protein family, CD44v6, has been shown to act as a coreceptor for the receptor tyrosine kinase c-Met on epithelial cells...
- CD44 regulates hepatocyte growth factor-mediated vascular integrity. Role of c-Met, Tiam1/Rac1, dynamin 2, and cortactinPatrick A Singleton
Department of Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Biol Chem 282:30643-57. 2007..study, we explored the regulation of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF)-mediated enhancement of EC barrier function via CD44 isoforms...
- RHAMM/ERK interaction induces proliferative activities of cementifying fibroma cells through a mechanism based on the CD44-EGFRHiroko Hatano
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Division of Cervico Gnathostomatology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Minami Ku, Hiroshima, Japan
Lab Invest 91:379-91. 2011..Interestingly, exogenous HA induced the phosphorylation of EGFR, which was mainly dependent on CD44. The results raise the novel idea that the EGFR may activate Raf-MEK-ERK signaling in response to the binding of HA ..
- Role of hyaluronan and hyaluronan-binding proteins in human asthmaJiurong Liang
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 128:403-411.e3. 2011..Hyaluronan fragments stimulate macrophages to produce inflammatory cytokines. We hypothesized that hyaluronan and its receptors would play a role in human asthma...
- A distinct glycoform of CD44 is an L-selectin ligand on human hematopoietic cellsC J Dimitroff
Department of Medicine and Dermatology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Skin Disease Research Center, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:13841-6. 2000..adhesion molecules, we show here that hematopoietic cell L-selectin ligand is a specialized glycoform of CD44. This L-selectin ligand activity of CD44 requires sialofucosylated N-linked glycans and is sulfation-independent...
- Re-expression of DNA methylation-silenced CD44 gene in a resistant NB4 cell line: rescue of CD44-dependent cell death by cAMPI Abecassis
INSERM U685, IUH, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Leukemia 22:511-20. 2008In the acute promyelocytic leukemia cell line, NB4, activation of the CD44 receptor triggers apoptosis. This pathway does not operate in the retinoid-maturation-resistant NB4-LR1 subclone...
- Identification of CD44v6(+)/CD24- breast carcinoma cells in primary human tumors by quantum dot-conjugated antibodiesEric L Snyder
Center for Molecular Oncologic Pathology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Lab Invest 89:857-66. 2009Breast carcinoma cells with the CD44+/CD24(low) phenotype have been reported to exhibit 'cancer stem cell' (CSC) characteristics on the basis of their enhanced tumorigenicity and self-renewal potential in immunodeficient mice...
- Transforming growth factor-beta induces CD44 cleavage that promotes migration of MDA-MB-435s cells through the up-regulation of membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinaseYi Chih Kuo
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Cancer 124:2568-76. 2009..can be proteolytically cleaved at the ectodomain by membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) to form soluble CD44 and that CD44 cleavage plays a critical role in cancer cell migration...
- Inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor-BB-induced receptor activation and fibroblast migration by hyaluronan activation of CD44Lingli Li
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Uppsala University, Biomedical Center, Box 595, S 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
J Biol Chem 281:26512-9. 2006..hyaluronan was neutralized by a monoclonal antibody that specifically inhibits hyaluronan binding to its receptor CD44. Moreover, co-immunoprecipitation experiments showed that the PDGF beta-receptor and CD44 can form a complex...
- CD44 modulates Smad1 activation in the BMP-7 signaling pathwayRichard S Peterson
Dept of Biochemistry, Rush Medical College, Rush University Medical Center, 1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Cell Biol 166:1081-91. 2004..In this paper, using a yeast two-hybrid screen, Smad1 was found to interact with the cytoplasmic domain of CD44, a receptor for the extracellular matrix macromolecule hyaluronan...
- Evaluation of CD44 variant 6 expression and clinicopathological factors in pulmonary metastases from colon carcinomaMarileda Indinnimeo
Dipartimento di Chirurgia Pietro Valdoni, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, I 00191 Rome, Italy
Oncol Rep 10:1875-7. 2003Although relatively little is known about the molecular mechanisms underlying tumor progression, recently CD44 glycoproteins and the c-Met receptor tyrosine kinase have been identified as potentially important components of the metastatic ..
- Hyaluronan-CD44 interaction with leukemia-associated RhoGEF and epidermal growth factor receptor promotes Rho/Ras co-activation, phospholipase C epsilon-Ca2+ signaling, and cytoskeleton modification in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cellsLilly Y W Bourguignon
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco and Endocrine Unit 111N, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 281:14026-40. 2006In this study we have examined the interaction of CD44 (a major hyaluronan (HA) receptor) with a RhoA-specific guanine nucleotide exchange factor (leukemia-associated RhoGEF (LARG)) in human head and neck squamous carcinoma cells (HNSCC-..
- HIV-1 buds predominantly at the plasma membrane of primary human macrophagesSonja Welsch
Department of Virology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
PLoS Pathog 3:e36. 2007..Thus, contrary to current opinion, the plasma membrane is the primary site of HIV-1 budding also in infected macrophages...
- Expression of CD44s, CD44v6, and hyaluronan across the spectrum of normal-hyperplasia-carcinoma in breastAlaa Afify
Department of Medical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 16:121-7. 2008..This interaction is best exemplified by the relationship of the receptor CD44 and the extracellular matrix component hyaluronan (HA)...
- HIV-1 p17 matrix protein interacts with heparan sulfate side chain of CD44v3, syndecan-2, and syndecan-4 proteoglycans expressed on human activated CD4+ T cells affecting tumor necrosis factor alpha and interleukin 2 productionMaria A De Francesco
Institute of Microbiology, University of Brescia Medical School, Brescia, Italy
J Biol Chem 286:19541-8. 2011..Moreover, we observed a stimulatory or inhibitory activity when CD4(+) T cells were activated with mitogens together with nanomolar or micromolar concentrations of the matrix protein...
- HIV-1 protein Vpr suppresses IL-12 production from human monocytes by enhancing glucocorticoid action: potential implications of Vpr coactivator activity for the innate and cellular immunity deficits observed in HIV-1 infectionMarco Mirani
Pediatric and Reproductive Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 169:6361-8. 2002..Through this effect, Vpr may contribute to the suppression of innate and cellular immunities of HIV-1-infected individuals and AIDS patients...
- Expression of CD44s and CD44v6 in lung cancer and their correlation with prognostic factorsAlaa M Afify
Department of Medical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California Davis Health System, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Int J Biol Markers 26:50-7. 2011b>CD44, a transmembrane glycoprotein receptor, plays a major role in tumor progression and metastasis.
- Invasive behavior of ulcerative colitis-associated carcinoma is related to reduced expression of CD44 extracellular domain: comparison with sporadic colon carcinomaTetuo Mikami
Department of Pathology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
Diagn Pathol 6:30. 2011..To elucidate relations of invasion of ulcerative colitis (UC)-associated carcinoma with its prognosis, the characteristics of invasive fronts were analyzed in comparison with sporadic colonic carcinomas...
- CD44 expression in oro-pharyngeal carcinoma tissues and cell linesAbirami Rajarajan
Molecular Oncology, Department of Oral Pathology, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e28776. 2012Expression of CD44, a transmembrane hyaluronan-binding glycoprotein, is variably considered to have prognostic significance for different cancers, including oral squamous cell carcinoma...
- Enhanced membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase expression by hyaluronan oligosaccharides in breast cancer cells facilitates CD44 cleavage and tumor cell migrationChang I Kung
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Oncol Rep 28:1808-14. 2012..Membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1‑MMP) is often expressed in invasive cancer cells. CD44, a transmembrane receptor for HA, is implicated in various adhesion-dependent cellular processes including cell ..
- A blood group-related polymorphism of CD44 abolishes a hyaluronan-binding consensus sequence without preventing hyaluronan bindingM J Telen
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 271:7147-53. 1996b>CD44 is a widely expressed integral membrane protein that acts as a receptor for hyaluronan (HA) and is proposed to be important to cell-extracellular matrix interaction...
- Structural homology between lymphocyte receptors for high endothelium and class III extracellular matrix receptorW M Gallatin
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Division of Basic Sciences, Seattle, WA 98040
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:4654-8. 1989..One inference from these data would be that gp90 is serologically heterogeneous, encompassing HARs as a major subset of this broadly expressed class of molecules...
- Hyaluronan promotes CD44v3-Vav2 interaction with Grb2-p185(HER2) and induces Rac1 and Ras signaling during ovarian tumor cell migration and growthL Y Bourguignon
Enocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, University of California and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 276:48679-92. 2001..have detected a specific binding interaction between the SH3-SH2-SH3 domain of Vav2 and the cytoplasmic domain of CD44. In addition, we have observed that the binding of HA to CD44v3 activates Vav2-mediated Rac1 signaling leading to ..
- Hyaluronan promotes signaling interaction between CD44 and the transforming growth factor beta receptor I in metastatic breast tumor cellsLilly Y W Bourguignon
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, and the Endocrine Unit, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 277:39703-12. 2002In this study we have examined the interaction between CD44 (a hyaluronan (HA) receptor) and the transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) receptors (a family of serine/threonine kinase membrane receptors) in human metastatic breast ..
- The role of the CD44/ezrin complex in cancer metastasisTracey A Martin
Metastasis Research Group, University Department of Surgery, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, S Wales CF14 4XN, UK
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 46:165-86. 2003b>CD44 is a cell adhesion molecule that was traditionally known as 'homing receptor'...
- Molecular cloning of CD44R1 and CD44R2, two novel isoforms of the human CD44 lymphocyte "homing" receptor expressed by hemopoietic cellsG J Dougherty
Terry Fox Laboratory for Hematology Oncology, British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, Vancouver, Canada
J Exp Med 174:1-5. 1991In addition to the 85-95 kD CD44 species found on most hemopoietic cell types, the human myelomonocytic cell line KG1a expresses proteins of approximately 115 kD and 130 kD that react with monoclonal antibodies belonging to CD44...
- Hyaluronate receptors mediating glioma cell migration and proliferationY Akiyama
Arthur and Sonia Labatt Brain Tumor Research Centre and the Division of Neurosurgery The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurooncol 53:115-27. 2001..Ubiquitous receptors for HA are CD44 and the Receptor for HA-Mediated Motility known as RHAMM...
- High serum soluble CD44 is correlated with a poor outcome of aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomaNozomi Niitsu
Department of Hematology and Internal Medicine, Internal Medicin IV, Kitasato University School of Medicine, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara shi, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Leuk Res 26:241-8. 2002We measured soluble CD44 (sCD44) by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in 216 patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). The sCD44 level was significantly elevated in patients with NHL...
- Increased soluble CD44 concentrations are associated with larger tumor size and lymph node metastasis in breast cancer patientsSebastian Mayer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 134:1229-35. 2008..Alternative splicing of CD44 and aberrant levels of soluble CD44 variants in the serum of cancer patients have been correlated to tumor progression and metastasis in different ..
- [CD44 variant increases the invasive ability of human breast cancer cell line MCF-7 cells]Xin Jian Fang
Central Laboratory, the Affiliated People s Hospital of Jiangsu University, Zhenjiang 212002, China
Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 32:22-8. 2010To evaluate the impact of a new CD44 variant on invasion of human breast cancer cell line MCF-7, and its possible mechanisms.
- The relationship between cyclooxygenase-2, CD44v6, and nm23H1 in esophageal squamous cell carcinomaWen Kang Liu
The Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of the Ministry of Education, Biomedical Engineering Postdoctoral Research Station, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an Shaanxi Province, PR China
Onkologie 32:574-8. 2009..Esophageal cancer is the fourth most prevalent malignancy in China. The relationship between COX-2, CD44v6, and nm23H1 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) remains unclear...
- Engagement of CD44 promotes Rac activation and CD44 cleavage during tumor cell migrationToshiyuki Murai
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Recognition, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita 565 0871, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:4541-50. 2004b>CD44 is a major cell surface adhesion molecule for hyaluronan, a component of the extracellular matrix, and is implicated in tumor metastasis and invasion...
- Tissue-specific promoters active in CD44+CD24-/low breast cancer cellsGerd J Bauerschmitz
Cancer Gene Therapy Group, Molecular Cancer Biology Program and Transplantation Laboratory, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Cancer Res 68:5533-9. 2008..Putative breast cancer stem cells may reside in the CD44(+)CD24(-/low) population...
- A chondroitin/dermatan sulfate form of CD44 is a receptor for collagen XIV (undulin)T Ehnis
Klinikum Benjamin Franklin, Department of Gastroenterology, Free University of Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, Berlin, D 12200, Germany
Exp Cell Res 229:388-97. 1996..specific monoclonal antibody identified the prominent chondroitin/dermatan sulfate proteoglycan as a member of the CD44 family...
- Autocrine activation of an osteopontin-CD44-Rac pathway enhances invasion and transformation by H-RasV12Hidemi Teramoto
Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Branch, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4330, USA
Oncogene 24:489-501. 2005..with H-RasV12- and Rit79L-mediated transformation, foci secreted OPN protein and upregulated the OPN receptor CD44, suggesting the novel initiation of an aberrant OPN-CD44-Rac autocrine pathway...
- Hyaluronan-CD44 interaction with protein kinase C(epsilon) promotes oncogenic signaling by the stem cell marker Nanog and the Production of microRNA-21, leading to down-regulation of the tumor suppressor protein PDCD4, anti-apoptosis, and chemotherapy resLilly Y W Bourguignon
Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 284:26533-46. 2009..In this study, we investigated the hyaluronan (HA)-induced interaction between CD44 (a primary HA receptor) and protein kinase Cepsilon (PKCepsilon), which regulates a number of human breast tumor ..
- Systematic assessment of the prognostic impact of membranous CD44v6 protein expression in colorectal cancerInti Zlobec
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Histopathology 55:564-75. 2009....
- Increased expression of CD44 in bovine articular chondrocytes by catabolic cellular mediatorsG Chow
Department of Biochemistry, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Biol Chem 270:27734-41. 1995..articular chondrocytes cultured in alginate beads were used to study the effect of catabolic cellular mediators on CD44 expression...
- CD44 isoforms containing exon V3 are responsible for the presentation of heparin-binding growth factorK L Bennett
Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98121
J Cell Biol 128:687-98. 1995Glycosaminoglycan-modified isoforms of CD44 have been implicated in growth factor presentation at sites of inflammation...
- Regulation mechanism of ERM (ezrin/radixin/moesin) protein/plasma membrane association: possible involvement of phosphatidylinositol turnover and Rho-dependent signaling pathwayM Hirao
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
J Cell Biol 135:37-51. 1996..b>CD44 has been identified as one of the major membrane binding partners for ERM proteins...
- Cell surface-localized matrix metalloproteinase-9 proteolytically activates TGF-beta and promotes tumor invasion and angiogenesisQ Yu
Molecular Pathology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02129 USA
Genes Dev 14:163-76. 2000We have uncovered a novel functional relationship between the hyaluronan receptor CD44, the matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) and the multifunctional cytokine TGF-beta in the control of tumor-associated tissue remodeling...
- Hyaluronan-CD44 interaction hampers migration of osteoclast-like cells by down-regulating MMP-9Paola Spessotto
Divisione di Oncologia Sperimentale 2, CRO IRCCS, National Cancer Institute, 33081 Aviano, Italy
J Cell Biol 158:1133-44. 2002..several features of primary OCs, including expression of specific integrins and the hyaluronan (HA) receptor CD44. OC-like FLG 29...
- [Expressions of CD44s, MMP-9, and Ki-67: possible association with invasion, metastasis, and recurrence of osteosarcoma]Ting Sheng Peng
Department of Pathology, Sun Yat sen Medical College, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, P R China
Ai Zheng 21:745-50. 2002Recent research had showed that tumor cell adhesion molecular CD44 and matrix metalloproteinases (MMP) were expressed strongly in many tumors, and was associated closely with invasion and metastasis of the tumors...
- Presenilin-dependent gamma-secretase activity mediates the intramembranous cleavage of CD44Daizo Murakami
Department of Tumor Genetics and Biology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
Oncogene 22:1511-6. 2003b>CD44 is the major adhesion molecule for the extracellular matrix components and is implicated in a wide variety of physiological and pathological processes including the regulation of tumor cell growth and metastasis...
- Hyaluronan-mediated CD44 interaction with RhoGEF and Rho kinase promotes Grb2-associated binder-1 phosphorylation and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling leading to cytokine (macrophage-colony stimulating factor) production and breast tumor progressioLilly Y W Bourguignon
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco and the Endocrine Unit 111N, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, Calfornia 94121, USA
J Biol Chem 278:29420-34. 2003In this study we have examined CD44 (a hyaluronan (HA) receptor) interaction with a RhoA-specific guanine nucleotide exchange factor (p115RhoGEF) in human metastatic breast tumor cells (MDA-MB-231 cell line)...
- CD44 expression is associated with increased survival in node-negative invasive breast carcinomaLeslie K Diaz
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:3309-14. 2005b>CD44 is a multifunctional cell surface receptor with many known splice variants, some of which have been reported to play a role in tumor progression...
- Cortactin underpins CD44-promoted invasion and adhesion of breast cancer cells to bone marrow endothelial cellsA Hill
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queens University Belfast, Belfast City Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Oncogene 25:6079-91. 2006Using a validated tetracycline (tet)-regulated MCF7-founder (MCF7F) expression system to modulate expression of CD44 standard form (CD44s), we report the functional importance of CD44s and that of a novel transcriptional target of ..
- Hyaluronan/CD44 and the Early Endometriotic LesionRobert Schenken; Fiscal Year: 2005..Recent studies suggest that hyaluronan, a linear disaccharides polymer produced by mesothelium, and CD44, a multifunctional type 1 transmembrane glycoprotein that regulates cell-cell interactions, are involved in the ..
- Hyaluronan in Lung Vascular DevelopmentRASHMIN SAVANI; Fiscal Year: 2006..pro- and anti-angiogenic growth factors, the glycosaminoglycan hyaluronan (hyaluronic acid, HA) and it s receptors CD44 and RHAMM, in both embryonic vascular and postnatal alveolar development. Preliminary data demonstrate that 1)...
- Novel Mechanisms of Chronic Inflammation in Sjogren's SyndromeGARY ANDREW WEISMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies should lead to better therapeutic strategies for minimizing autoimmune-associated inflammation of salivary gland that contributes to xerostomia in patients with SS. ..
- B Cell Trafficking to the EyeJustine R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- High-Resolution 3D Ultrasound Imaging &Quantification of Murine Cardiac FunctionJohn A Hossack; Fiscal Year: 2012..This knowledge may help direct the development of new drug therapies or medical devices related to heart health management. ..
- Multiplex profiling and targeting of breast tumorigenic progenitor cellsMandana Veiseh; Fiscal Year: 2010..indicated that a majority of this "breast tumor-initiating activity" resides in the population that overexpresses CD44 (hyaluronan receptor) among other surface characteristics...
- Emilio B Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2014..These studies may help to devise new more specific and less harmful modalities than the anticoagulation or general immunosuppression currently used to treat and prevent thrombosis in patients with aPL Abs. ..
- Adhesion Molecules in UveitisJustine R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..Expression and potential functions in relation to autoimmune posterior uveitis will be investigated. ..
- Huaizhu Wu; Fiscal Year: 2016..This study has the potential to provide novel preventive and therapeutic targets for obesity-related atherosclerosis and diabetes. ..
- Pregnancy, Pre-eclampsia, Anti-oxidants and Endothelial Cell FunctionGautam Chaudhuri; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from our studies will indicate to us which anti-oxidants are likely to be more effective than others and which can be used clinically to prevent this condition. ..
- ROBERT IE LIEM; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- Sex Differences in Vascular Markers of Stroke RiskCheryl D Bushnell; Fiscal Year: 2012..This could naturally lead to development of a predictive panel of markers for future stroke risk. ..
- Kenneth I Ataga; Fiscal Year: 2016..abstract_text> ..
- CHEIKH IBRA SEYE; Fiscal Year: 2016..Successful completion of the proposed studies will further our understanding of purinergic signaling in vascular inflammation, and could lead to new therapies for preventing and diagnosing atherosclerosis. ..
- HIV, Inflammation, and Endothelial DysfunctionSamir Kumar Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- JOSHUA JEFFREY FIELD; Fiscal Year: 2016..If this study provides preliminary evidence that montelukast when combined with HU has efficacy for the treatment of vaso-occlusion, we will propose a larger multi-center phase III trial. ..
- MMPs, Integrins and Microglial activation in HANDKATHLEEN ANNE MAGUIRE-ZEISS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Further study of the receptors that underlie MMP dependent effects is also clinically relevant. At least one soluble CAM can interact with LFA-1, a microglial integrin for which a clinically tolerable antagonist has been developed. ..
- PTP mu Supresses Brain Tumor Cell Migration and DispersalSusann M Brady Kalnay; Fiscal Year: 2010..Alter PTPu expression and catalytic activity in glioma cells and examine migration and invasion III. Determine the molecular mechanisms by which PTP|j negatively regulates cell migration and invasion in glioma cells ..
- Role of Ed in regulating EGFR and Notch signaling during retinal developmentSusan A Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, this work will improve scientists'understanding of how photoreceptors form, and will further the goal of someday being able to replace photoreceptors in people with retinal degeneration. ..
- Neuroligin Regulation of Central GABAergic SynapsesZhanyan Fu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Elucidating functional role of neuroligins at inhibitory synapses will no doubt increase our ability to develop more effective diagnosis and treatment methods for this group of diseases. ..
- Targeting Pathways of Axonal Cell Adhesion MoleculesBETTINA R WINCKLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Since L1 expression is upregulated after neuronal injury and after stroke, understanding L1 trafficking to axons has implications for regenerative processes after injury. ..
- Lin Gan; Fiscal Year: 2014..Together, these studies will define the role of Barhl2 in regulating the tiling and mosaic patterning processes of starburst amacrine cells and elucidate the transcriptional events that occur downstream of Barhl2. ..
- Thomas Yoonsang Cho; Fiscal Year: 2015..CD74 does not have tyrosine receptor kinase like signaling domain and requires CD44 that contains a kinase domain. It seems that all these receptors except CD44 directly interact with MIF...
- An investigation of guidance mechanisms regulating neuronal migrationSarah J Wanner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Together the aims of this proposal will determine the role of Ncad in neuronal migration and guidance and add to our understanding of how neuronal migration is regulated. ..
- Devarajan Thirumalai; Fiscal Year: 2014..abstract_text> ..
- JODI LEHIWA KAZUYO MURAKAMI; Fiscal Year: 2016..The long-term goals of this project are to define the molecular interactions that regulate the homing of HSCs and elucidate how these molecules influence HSC trafficking and subsequent engraftment. ..
- TIMOTHY TUN HLA; Fiscal Year: 2016..These studies are expected to derive critical insights into the workings of S1P receptors, which are important drug targets to control the vascular and immune systems. ..
- Estradiol-Induced Sialyation Of NCAM Prevents Leucocyte:Endothelial AdhesionFrederick Naftolin; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal may improve the application of anti-atherosclerosis agents and lead to development of new agents to protect blood vessels from atherosclerosis and its complications. ..
- Small Cell-Penetrating Glyco-Decoys Sidetrack Selectin Ligand BiosynthesisKhushi L Matta; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>CD44 is endowed with a ligand for E selection, and also has a specific receptor for hyaluronic acid, promoting migration ..
- F11R antagonists for atherosclerosisGary L Olson; Fiscal Year: 2010..New peptide inhibitors of F11R that may be suitable for use as therapeutic drugs will be developed and characterized in this research. ..
- The role of CEACAM1 in CMV pathogenesis in the human placentaTakako Tabata; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project addresses molecular mechanisms of viral damage that impairs functions of the human placenta and could identify novel proteins with clinical importance for development of diagnostic and therapeutic strategies. ..
- Corneal endothelial cell survival in human donor corneas for transplantationShay Whey M Koh; Fiscal Year: 2012..Intra-operative VIP (or CNTF) treatment decreases CE damage in an established in vitro endothelial keratoplasty model. ..
- Air Pollution, Systemic Inflammation, and Sub-Clinical Atherosclerosis in High-AlRODRIGO XAVIER ARMIJOS; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings will be used to inform more comprehensive future studies needed for the development of effective public health programs for at-risk populations. ..
- AIRWAY SMOOTH MUSCLE MODULATES INFLAMMATION IN ASTHMAReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2005..Project 2 will determine how cell-matrix receptors such as CD44 promote airway inflammation, remodeling and airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) by altering ASM function...
- AIRWAY SMOOTH MUSCLE MODULATES INFLAMMATION IN ASTHMAReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2001..Project 2 will determine how cell-matrix receptors such as CD44 promote airway inflammation, remodeling and airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) by altering ASM function...
- Proinflammatory Effects of CD44 on AtherosclerosisEllen Pure; Fiscal Year: 2004..on bone marrow-derived hematopoietic cells versus vascular cells on atherogenesis and define the role of soluble CD44 in atherogenesis...
- Jason C Mills; Fiscal Year: 2016..We further find that: 1) the cell surface protein CD44 is required for normal stem cell homeostasis, because proliferation is halved in Cd44-/- relative to wildtype mice;..
- Invasion of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) cells in organotypic brain slicesZEV ARI BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..ameboid), the type of cellular protrusions generated by GBMs to invade, and the role of integrins and CD44 using shRNA-induced knockdown...
- HA in fungal allergic asthmaJane M Schuh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using ex vivo and in vitro strategies, we will test our working hypothesis that LMM HA signals through CD44 for chemotaxis of activated B cells, but that when treated with LMM HA B cells produce a metabolically distinct ..
- Structure-Function studies of human hyaluronidasesOsnat Herzberg; Fiscal Year: 2012..define hHyal-1 and hHyal-2 catalytic function and inhibition, and their interactions with protein partners, CD44 - the hyaluronan biding protein, RON receptor tyrosine kinase that is regulated by hHyal-2, and Jaagsiekte sheep ..
- Phospholipid flip-flop in biogenic membranesAnant K Menon; Fiscal Year: 2013..coli lipopolysaccharide. We are interested in identifying the transport proteins that catalyze lipid flipping in yeast and mammals and understanding how they work. ..
- Sonia M Najjar; Fiscal Year: 2016..Answering these questions will delineate new CEACAM1-dependent mechanisms underlying atherosclerosis along the liver/endothelial cell axis, and pinpoint sites of pharmacologic intervention. ..
- Novel Erythroid Cell Membrane ProteinEmery H Bresnick; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Zsolt Bagi; Fiscal Year: 2014..Data obtained in this project will also help to develop novel avenues for effective therapeutic strategies, such as the use of prostanoid inhibitors at the time of PCI, to prevent no reflow in patients with T2-DM. ..
- Darren G Woodside; Fiscal Year: 2014..Also, small molecule antagonists identified will be important tools for basic research into the molecular mechanisms regulating cell adhesion molecule function both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Metabolic &Developmental Aspects of Intellectual DisabilityMary C McKenna; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Arginine, Nitric Oxide, and Severe MalariaJOE BRICE WEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..The studies we propose here will answer important questions relative to the pathophysiology of severe malaria regarding arginine and nitric oxide, and the work may lead to new adjunctive treatments for this frequently deadly disease. ..
- Mechanisms mediating circadian oscillations of leukocyte migrationPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results generated from this proposal will enhance our basic understanding of this important biological phenomenon, and will likely identify novel chronotherapeutic targets for interventions in inflammatory diseases. ..
- ERIKA HEIDI NOSS; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- MICHAEL EDWARD CHARNESS; Fiscal Year: 2016..These experiments will expand our knowledge of how ethanol disrupts fetal development, why individuals differ in sensitivity to ethanol teratogenesis, and how drugs might be designed to reduce ethanol toxicity. ..
- IDENTIFICATION OF GENES ASSOCIATED WITH MYOBLAST FUSIONSusan M Abmayr; Fiscal Year: 2012..The focus of our research is to examine the mechanisms and essential genes through which cells find each other in the embryo and initiate the process of fusion. ..
- Forms of Vitamin E Have Opposing Effects on InflammationJoan M Cook-Mills; Fiscal Year: 2011..The mechanistic data from our studies will help define modified consumption of forms of vitamin E in future clinical studies. ..
- Intestinal Epithelial Function in Congenital Tufting EnteropathyMAMATA B SIVAGNANAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..Discerning EpCAM's role should help us understand CTE, other diarrheal diseases and more about the lining of the normal digestive system. ..
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSES OF NEUROGLIAN/L1 IN SYNAPTOGENESISTANJA ANGELA GODENSCHWEGE; Fiscal Year: 2012..This information is essential to find appropriate treatment for the clinical manifestations of these mutations and hence will benefit the health of patients with L1-related disorders in the future. ..
- Regulation of GPER-mediated Signaling in the Vasculature by CalmodulinKim Tran; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is expected that the proposed studies will provide timely information that help form the basis for targeting estrogen receptor subtypes for preventive and therapeutic purposes. ..
- Charles J Dimitroff; Fiscal Year: 2016..Importantly, our findings will provide novel molecular insights into the glyco-histopathology of melanomas, while offering new glycomic targets for predicting malignancy and/or clinical outcome. ..
- MPZL3, a novel putative adhesion protein, in keratinocyte stem cell maintenanceTongyu Cao Wikramanayake; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this study, we will determine the role of this MPZL3 protein in skin keratinocyte function and in maintaining the skin stem cells. Through this study, we may gain important insight on wound repair and tissue regeneration. ..
- Candece L Gladson; Fiscal Year: 2016..RELEVANCE: These studies have the potential to provide a paradigm shift in the understanding of tumor-associated angiogenesis in general and will suggest novel regimens for improved anti-angiogenesis therapy in GBM. ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF MEMBRANE PROTEIN GLYCOLIPID ANCHORSAnant K Menon; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of p120-catenin in oral squamous cell carcinomaZhongjian Xie; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding this mechanism will bring the possibility of new preventive and therapeutic options for OSCC. ..
- Stephen W Byers; Fiscal Year: 2015..2. Determine the role of CCL2 and other cadherin-11 regulated genes in mediating its effects on tumorigenesis, invasion and metastasis. 3. Determine the role of tyrosine kinase activation in mediating cadherin-11 signaling. ..
- Brenton R Graveley; Fiscal Year: 2014..Moreover, the results will provide significant insight into the mechanisms of neural wiring and immunity. ..
- Conjugation of polysialic acid to biologics in glycoengineered Escherichia coliADAM CHARLES FISHER; Fiscal Year: 2010..These proposed studies focus on producing polysialic acid-conjugated proteins in Escherichia coli fermentation without the need for in vitro chemical modification. ..
- Characterization of Endoderm Stem Cells Derived from Murine ESCsJon S Odorico; Fiscal Year: 2010..This knowledge will help in establishing protocols for the isolation and differentiation of human endoderm-committed cells for the production of functional cells to be used in transplantation therapies. ..
- Mitzi Nagarkatti; Fiscal Year: 2015..Studies from our laboratory have demonstrated that naove T cells express the standard form of CD44 (CD44s) and upon activation, express certain unique variant isoforms of CD44 (CD44v) through alternative splicing...
- Regulation of smooth muscle cell function by CD44 in cardiovascular diseaseELLEN PURE apos PURE'; Fiscal Year: 2012..role in regulating VSMCs, and we have studied the effects of the ECM component hyaluronan (HA) and the HA receptor, CD44, on VSMC proliferation and neointima formation...
- Invasion of C. neoformans into brain endothelial cellsAmbrose Y Jong; Fiscal Year: 2012..neoformans binding to HBMEC using an in vitro BBB model. Furthermore, our studies showed that CD44 was the primary receptor on HBMEC for C. neoformans adhesion. Upon C...
- LILLY YW BOURGUIGNON; Fiscal Year: 2014..Accumulating evidence indicates that HNSCC cells overexpress a certain CD44 isoform [CD44v3-a hyaluronan (HA) receptor] and that HA-CD44v3 interaction promotes actin activator (N-WASP)-..
- Hyaluronan in Epidermal Injury ResponsesEdward Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Because CD44, the cell-surface receptor for HA, is well-known to interact and regulate EGFR/ErbB2 in cancer cells, the ..
- Qin Yu; Fiscal Year: 2015..Three specific aims are proposed. Aim 1 is to establish that CD44 antagonists, a variety of soluble CD44-Fc fusion proteins, display anti- glioma activity, sensitize GBM response to chemo- and targeted therapies in ..
- Hyaluronan and CD44 are Novel Targets for Acute Lung injuryPatrick A Singleton; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies indicate that the extracellular matrix component, hyaluronan (HA), and its cell surface receptor family, CD44, are important in normal EC function and angiogenesis...
- Regulation of autoimmunity by CD44act expressing T cellsMark H Siegelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our laboratory has focused on the role of the hyaluronan binding form of CD44 (CD44act) in an adhesion pathway leading to extravasation of activated T cells at target sites of autoimmunity...
- Hyaluronan-induced signaling and gene regulationMAUREEN RENEE HORTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..The importance of low molecular weight hyaluronan (LMW HA) in lung injury is evident in CD44 receptor null mice thai die of overwhelming inflammation upon exposure to low dose bleomycin in the setting of ..
- Serpil C Erzurum; Fiscal Year: 2016..of an extracellular hyaluronan matrix that is critical for recruitment/migration, proliferation, and activation of CD44 (+) leukocytes, e.g., monocytes/macrophages, mast cells, and eosinophils...
- Hyaluronan Receptors in Prostate Cancer ProgressionJames B McCarthy; Fiscal Year: 2012..Metastatic, androgen independent human prostate carcinoma cell lines express high levels of two HA receptors: CD44 and cell surface RHAMM (gene name is HMMR, also designated CD168), which we have shown to co-associate and which ..
- Paul L Bollyky; Fiscal Year: 2016..HMW-HA does this by crosslinking CD44 and substituting for IL-2 in the IL-2R signaling required by Treg for their viability and for production of the key ..
- HYALURONAN-CELL INTERACTIONS IN CARTILAGECheryl B Knudson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hyaluronan (HA) binding to the CD44 receptor is a key player in such interactions...
- Functionalized Micellar Nanocarriers for Targeted Cancer TherapyChalet Tan; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to functionalize these mixed micelles with folic acid or hyaluronic acid (HA), to target FR-- or CD44-overexpressing tumor cells, respectively...
- Paul L Bollyky; Fiscal Year: 2016..HMW-HA does this by crosslinking CD44 and substituting for IL-2 in the IL-2R/STAT5 signaling Treg required for Foxp3 expression and production of IL-10, ..
- Francis C Szoka; Fiscal Year: 2015DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The goal of this research is to devise liposomal drugs that are targeted to CD44, a cell surface marker that is over-expressed on many human cancers and on cancer stem cells...
- Kelly A Whelan; Fiscal Year: 2015..TICs, defined by high expression of CD44, the receptor for hyaluronic acid, have been identified in ESCC~ however, mechanisms regulating these ..
- Paul L Bollyky; Fiscal Year: 2016..The PI has identified roles for the extracellular matrix molecule hyaluronan (HA) and its receptor CD44 in promoting the number and function of regulatory T-cells...
- STEPHEN ARTHUR BACK; Fiscal Year: 2016..in aims 1-3 to define the association of human preOL arrest with biomarkers of reactive astrogliosis (GFAP and CD44), PH20 expression, and total HA levels...
- Hydrogel Systems for Purification and Differentiation of Mid-Brain NPCsChristine E Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specific Aim 1 will exploit the specific interactions between the cell surface receptor CD44 and the glycosaminoglycan HA...
- Salivary Soluble Markers in Head and Neck CancerELIZABETH JANE FRANZMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our main objective is to evaluate the accuracy of a marker panel comprised of soluble CD44, HA and HAase in distinguishing between patients with invasive HNSCC and controls...
- EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX IN GLAUCOMAPAUL KNEPPER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The ectodomain of CD44 is released from cells as soluble CD44. CD44 has multiple pro-inflammatory functions and may act as a trigger molecule involved in a cytolytic ..
- HIGH CONTENT SCREENING OF 3D CULTURED CANCER CELLSTOM ZAREMBINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..HA is uniquely qualified for use as a 3D culture platform, as it is specifically recognized by cells via the CD44 and RHAMM receptors (unlike PEG, alginate, or other biopolymers), and can be selectively degraded by the ..
- HYALURONAN BINDING PEPTIDE INHIBITORS OF LANGERHANS CELLMark Mummert; Fiscal Year: 2001..central hypothesis is that adhesive interaction between hyaluronan (HA) expressed abundantly on keratinocytes and CD44 expressed on activated LC mediates LC emigration...
- CD44 MEDIATED CATABOLISM OF HYALURONAN BY CHONDROCYTESWarren Knudson; Fiscal Year: 2009The underlying new hypothesis of this proposal is that CD44 receptor-mediated endocytosis of hyaluronan (HA) provides a mechanism for chondrocytes to regulate local proteolytic events in the turnover of aggrecan proteoglycan (PG)...
- CD44: HYALURONIC ACID BINDING AND LYMPHOCYTE MIGRATIONRobert Hyman; Fiscal Year: 2000This is an application to study the biological function of the CD44 molecule of activated T lymphocytes, and to define the parameters that determine high affinity binding of this receptor to the extracellular matrix...
- GLYCAN MEDIATED REGULATION OF CD44 FUNCTIONTIMOTHY SKELTON; Fiscal Year: 1999..In the multistep process of metastasis one expects significant roles for cell adhesion molecules. CD44, a cell surface receptor for hyaluronan (HA) that functions in cell adhesion, cell migration, and cell activation, ..
- DNA methylation in aging, race and prostate cancerRajvir Dahiya; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific hypotheses: 1) The DNA methylation status of most frequently deleted genes [ERs, E-cadherin, CD44 and GSTPI (glutathione S-transferase pi)] will be different in aging and race-related prostate cancer...