Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CAPN1
Description: calpain 1
Alias: CANP, CANP1, CANPL1, SPG76, muCANP, muCL, calpain-1 catalytic subunit, CANP 1, calcium-activated neutral proteinase 1, calpain 1, (mu/I) large subunit, calpain mu-type, calpain, large polypeptide L1, calpain-1 large subunit, cell proliferation-inducing gene 30 protein, cell proliferation-inducing protein 30, micromolar-calpain
- Uemori T, Shimojo T, Asada K, Asano T, Kimizuka F, Kato I, et al. Characterization of a functional domain of human calpastatin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1990;166:1485-93 pubmed..Peptides that contained the M-sequence and some neighboring sequences were synthesized to measure the minimum size of the inhibitory peptide, which was the M-sequence with the next six residues on the amino terminal side. ..
- Ferreira A, Bigio E. Calpain-mediated tau cleavage: a mechanism leading to neurodegeneration shared by multiple tauopathies. Mol Med. 2011;17:676-85 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that the mechanism underlying the generation of the 17-kDa neurotoxic tau fragment might be part of a conserved pathologic process shared by multiple tauopathies...
- Gafni J, Cong X, Chen S, Gibson B, Ellerby L. Calpain-1 cleaves and activates caspase-7. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:25441-9 pubmed publisher..Our studies suggest the calpain-activated form of caspase-7 has unique enzymatic activity, localization, and binding affinity when compared with the caspase-activated form. ..
- Randriamboavonjy V, Pistrosch F, Bölck B, Schwinger R, Dixit M, Badenhoop K, et al. Platelet sarcoplasmic endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase and mu-calpain activity are altered in type 2 diabetes mellitus and restored by rosiglitazone. Circulation. 2008;117:52-60 pubmed..These data identify megakaryocytes/platelets as additional cellular targets for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonists and highlight potential benefits of rosiglitazone therapy in cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Munarriz E, Bano D, Sayan A, Rossi M, Melino G, Nicotera P. Calpain cleavage regulates the protein stability of p73. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;333:954-60 pubmed..This suggests that calpains may play a physiological role in the regulation of p73 protein stability. ..
- Polster B, Basañez G, Etxebarria A, Hardwick J, Nicholls D. Calpain I induces cleavage and release of apoptosis-inducing factor from isolated mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:6447-54 pubmed..Taken together, these results define a novel mechanism of AIF release involving calpain processing and identify a potential molecular checkpoint for cytoprotective interventions. ..
- Goll D, Thompson V, Li H, Wei W, Cong J. The calpain system. Physiol Rev. 2003;83:731-801 pubmed..Deregulated calpain activity following loss of Ca2+ homeostasis results in tissue damage in response to events such as myocardial infarcts, stroke, and brain trauma. ..
- Lee M, Kwon Y, Li M, Peng J, Friedlander R, Tsai L. Neurotoxicity induces cleavage of p35 to p25 by calpain. Nature. 2000;405:360-4 pubmed..Furthermore, inhibition of cdk5 or calpain activity reduces cell death in A beta-treated cortical neurons. These observations indicate that cleavage of p35 to p25 by calpain may be involved in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Xia H, Zhang L, Chen G, Zhang T, Liu J, Jin M, et al. Control of basal autophagy by calpain1 mediated cleavage of ATG5. Autophagy. 2010;6:61-6 pubmed..We conclude that calpain1 plays an important role in controlling the levels of autophagy in normal living cells by regulating the levels of a key signaling molecule, ATG12-ATG5 conjugate. ..
- Liu F, Grundke Iqbal I, Iqbal K, Oda Y, Tomizawa K, Gong C. Truncation and activation of calcineurin A by calpain I in Alzheimer disease brain. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:37755-62 pubmed..These findings suggest that the overactivation of calpain I and calcineurin may mediate the role of calcium homeostatic disturbance in the neurodegeneration of AD. ..
- Gil Parrado S, Popp O, Knoch T, Zahler S, Bestvater F, Felgenträger M, et al. Subcellular localization and in vivo subunit interactions of ubiquitous mu-calpain. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16336-46 pubmed..We propose that intracellular localization and in particular membrane targeting of activated calpain, but not dissociation of its intact subunits, contribute to regulate its proteolytic activity in vivo. ..
- Huang Y, Wang K. The calpain family and human disease. Trends Mol Med. 2001;7:355-62 pubmed..This review describes our current understanding of the calpain family members and their mechanistic linkages to the aforementioned diseases as well as other emerging pathological conditions. ..
- Mauro A, Garcia Cela E, Pietri A, Cotty P, Battilani P. Biological Control Products for Aflatoxin Prevention in Italy: Commercial Field Evaluation of Atoxigenic Aspergillus flavus Active Ingredients. Toxins (Basel). 2018;10: pubmed publisher..deposited under provisions of the Budapest Treaty in the Belgian Co-Ordinated Collections of Micro-Organisms (BCCM/MUCL) collection (accession MUCL54911)...
- Raimondi M, Marcassa E, Cataldo F, Arnandis T, Mendoza Maldonado R, Bestagno M, et al. Calpain restrains the stem cells compartment in breast cancer. Cell Cycle. 2016;15:106-16 pubmed publisherCAPNS1 is essential for the stability and function of ubiquitous CAPN1 and CAPN2...
- Hashimoto Y, Inagaki H, Hoshino S. Calpain mediates processing of the translation termination factor eRF3 into the IAP-binding isoform p-eRF3. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:2241-7 pubmed publisher..p-eRF3 is produced in cells treated with ER stressors in a calpain-dependent manner. These findings suggest that p-eRF3 is a novel regulator of calpain-dependent cell death. ..
- Fukuta S, Miyamoto K, Suzuki K, Maehara H, Inoue T, Hara A, et al. Abundance of calpain and aggrecan-cleavage products of calpain in degenerated human intervertebral discs. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011;19:1254-62 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that calpains may be involved in IVD degeneration via proteoglycan (PG) cleavage. ..
- Lu J, Lu W, Lai J, Tsai F, Wu S, Lin C, et al. Calcium flux and calpain-mediated activation of the apoptosis-inducing factor contribute to enterovirus 71-induced apoptosis. J Gen Virol. 2013;94:1477-85 pubmed publisher..These findings should be useful for understanding the virus-induced cytopathology and the impact of Ca²? homeostasis on EV71 infection. ..
- Zocco D, van Aarle I, Oger E, Lanfranco L, Declerck S. Fenpropimorph and fenhexamid impact phosphorus translocation by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Mycorrhiza. 2011;21:363-374 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we investigated the capacity of Glomus sp. MUCL 43204 to take up, transfer and translocate labelled P to Medicago truncatula in the presence of these SBI molecules...
- Ke L, Qi X, Dijkhuis A, Chartier D, Nattel S, Henning R, et al. Calpain mediates cardiac troponin degradation and contractile dysfunction in atrial fibrillation. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;45:685-93 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that calpain inhibition may therefore represent a key target in combating AF-related structural and functional remodeling. ..
- López Rojas L, Patiño Cadavid L, López Herrera A, Echeverri Zuluaga J. Genotyping of SNPs associated with meat tenderness: comparison of two PCR-based methods. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisherSingle nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) carried in calpain (CAPN1), calpastatin (CAST), and leptin (LEP) genes are associated with meat tenderness...
- Kovacs L, Su Y. Redox-Dependent Calpain Signaling in Airway and Pulmonary Vascular Remodeling in COPD. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;967:139-160 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of the redox-dependent calpain signaling may provide future targets for the prevention and treatment of COPD. ..
- Randriamboavonjy V, Fleming I. The role of calpain in diabetes-associated platelet hyperactivation. Adv Pharmacol. 2010;59:235-57 pubmed publisher..Finally, we will discuss future therapeutic possibilities for the improvement of diabetes-associated vascular diseases. ..
- Franekova V, Baliova M, Jursky F. Truncation of human dopamine transporter by protease calpain. Neurochem Int. 2008;52:1436-41 pubmed publisher..The above suggests that cleavage of DAT by calpain may significantly modify dopamine homeostasis under pathological or physiological conditions. ..
- Bi R, Rong Y, Bernard A, Khrestchatisky M, Baudry M. Src-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation of NR2 subunits of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors protects from calpain-mediated truncation of their C-terminal domains. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:26477-83 pubmed..We propose that phosphorylation of NR2 subunits and the resulting inhibition of calpain-mediated truncation of their C-terminal domains provide for the stabilization of the N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors in postsynaptic structures. ..
- Tait R, Cushman R, McNeel A, Casas E, Smith T, Freetly H, et al. Î¼-Calpain (CAPN1), calpastatin (CAST), and growth hormone receptor (GHR) genetic effects on Angus beef heifer performance traits and reproduction. Theriogenology. 2018;113:1-7 pubmed publisher..An Angus population was subjected to marker assisted selection for multiple years to equalize CAPN1 haplotypes, CAST, and GHR genetic marker frequencies...
- Kulkarni S, Jackson S. Platelet factor XIII and calpain negatively regulate integrin alphaIIbbeta3 adhesive function and thrombus growth. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:30697-706 pubmed..Moreover, they demonstrate the existence of an autoregulatory feedback mechanism that serves to limit excessive platelet accumulation on highly reactive thrombogenic surfaces. ..
- Lu Y, Bradley J, McCoski S, Gonzalez J, Ealy A, Johnson S. Reduced skeletal muscle fiber size following caloric restriction is associated with calpain-mediated proteolysis and attenuation of IGF-1 signaling. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;312:R806-R815 pubmed publisher..Smaller CR LM fiber size associates with increased (P < 0.05) calpain 1 (CAPN1) activity coupled with lower (P < 0...
- Gil Cardeza M, Calonne Salmon M, Gomez E, Declerck S. Short-term chromium (VI) exposure increases phosphorus uptake by the extraradical mycelium of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Rhizophagus irregularis MUCL 41833. Chemosphere. 2017;187:27-34 pubmed publisher..This study investigated the impact of Cr(VI) on short-term P uptake by the AMF Rhizophagus irregularis MUCL 41833 in Medicago truncatula...
- Zhang P, Sridharan D, Lambert M. Knockdown of mu-calpain in Fanconi anemia, FA-A, cells by siRNA restores alphaII spectrin levels and corrects chromosomal instability and defective DNA interstrand cross-link repair. Biochemistry. 2010;49:5570-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, by reducing the level of breakdown of alphaIISp in FA cells, we may be able to reverse a number of the cellular deficiencies observed in this disorder. ..
- Rutledge T, Whiteheart S. SNAP-23 is a target for calpain cleavage in activated platelets. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:37009-15 pubmed..This is consistent with the ultrastructural morphology of calpeptin-treated platelets after activation. ..
- Michel L, Hoenderop J, Bindels R. Calpain-3-mediated regulation of the Naâº-CaÂ²âº exchanger isoform 3. Pflugers Arch. 2016;468:243-55 pubmed publisher..Since NCX3 is expressed in skeletal muscle, we evaluated the cleavage of different NCX3 splice variants by CAPN1 and CAPN3...
- Imam S, Guyton M, Haque A, Vandenbark A, Tyor W, Ray S, et al. Increased calpain correlates with Th1 cytokine profile in PBMCs from MS patients. J Neuroimmunol. 2007;190:139-45 pubmed..Calpain inhibitor also reduced degradation of myelin basic protein (MBP) by inhibiting the calpain secreted from MBP-specific T cells. Taken together, these results suggested calpain involvement in Th1/Th2 dysregulation in MS patients. ..
- Badugu R, Garcia M, Bondada V, Joshi A, Geddes J. N terminus of calpain 1 is a mitochondrial targeting sequence. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3409-17 pubmed
- Pu X, Storr S, Ahmad N, Chan S, Moseley P, Televantou D, et al. Calpain-1 is associated with adverse relapse free survival in breast cancer: a confirmatory study. Histopathology. 2016;68:1021-9 pubmed publisher..Further work is warranted to standardize and develop methodology with a view to potentially introducing assessment of this important biomarker into clinical practice. ..
- Sorimachi H, Ohmi S, Emori Y, Kawasaki H, Saido T, Ohno S, et al. A novel member of the calcium-dependent cysteine protease family. Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler. 1990;371 Suppl:171-6 pubmed..The encoded protein, designated tentatively as p94, is composed of four domains similar to those found in other CANP large subunits, but includes three unique regions that have no homology to other CANPs...
- Altznauer F, Conus S, Cavalli A, Folkers G, Simon H. Calpain-1 regulates Bax and subsequent Smac-dependent caspase-3 activation in neutrophil apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:5947-57 pubmed
- Qadir M, Bhatti A, Ashraf M, Sandhu M, Anjum S, John P. Immunomodulatory and therapeutic role of Cinnamomum verum extracts in collagen-induced arthritic BALB/c mice. Inflammopharmacology. 2018;26:157-170 pubmed publisher..Western blot analysis was performed on peripheral blood derived serum for CII, CAPN1, TNF? and NFATc3. Extracts were shown to be enriched in trans-cinnamaldehyde and its analogues...
- Fang Z, Miao Y, Ding X, Deng H, Liu S, Wang F, et al. Proteomic identification and functional characterization of a novel ARF6 GTPase-activating protein, ACAP4. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2006;5:1437-49 pubmed..Thus, our study sheds new light on the biological function of ARF6-mediated cell migration. ..
- Olmos G, Arenas M, Bienes R, Calzada M, Aragones J, Garcia Bermejo M, et al. 15-Deoxy-Delta(12,14)-prostaglandin-J(2) reveals a new pVHL-independent, lysosomal-dependent mechanism of HIF-1alpha degradation. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2009;66:2167-80 pubmed publisher..Therefore, expression of HIF-1alpha is also modulated by lysosomal degradation. ..
- Cui X, Sun Y, Wang X, Yang C, Ju Z, Jiang Q, et al. A g.-1256 A>C in the promoter region of CAPN1 is associated with semen quality traits in Chinese Holstein bulls. Reproduction. 2016;152:101-9 pubmed publisherThe micromolar calcium-activated neutral protease gene (CAPN1) is a physiological candidate gene for sperm motility. However, the molecular mechanisms involved in regulating the expression of the CAPN1 gene in bulls remain unknown...
- Ouoba L, Nielsen D, Anyogu A, Kando C, Diawara B, Jespersen L, et al. Hanseniaspora jakobsenii sp. nov., a yeast isolated from Bandji, a traditional palm wine of Borassus akeassii. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2015;65:3576-9 pubmed publisher..lindneri MUCL 31146T (â€‰=â€‰NRRL Y-17531T), H...
- Park J, Chung S, Lee J, Lee J, Lee S, Ji H, et al. The effect of humeral tunnel locations on radiographic tunnel changes in baseball players following medial ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction: comparison of anatomic and nonanatomic locations. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018;: pubmed publisherThere has been no study on radiologic changes after medial ulnar collateral ligament (MUCL) reconstruction and related clinical features. Data from 39 baseball players who underwent MUCL reconstruction were collected and analyzed...
- Starska K, Forma E, Jóźwiak P, Lewy Trenda I, Danilewicz M, Stasikowska Kanicka O, et al. Gene/protein expression of CAPN1/2-CAST system members is associated with ERK1/2 kinases activity as well as progression and clinical outcome in human laryngeal cancer. Tumour Biol. 2016;37:13185-13203 pubmed..This study was aimed to evaluate the CAPN1/2-CAST-ERK1/2 enzyme system mRNA/protein level and to investigate whether they can promote the dynamic of tumor ..
- Jin N, Yin X, Gu J, Zhang X, Shi J, Qian W, et al. Truncation and Activation of Dual Specificity Tyrosine Phosphorylation-regulated Kinase 1A by Calpain I: A MOLECULAR MECHANISM LINKED TO TAU PATHOLOGY IN ALZHEIMER DISEASE. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:15219-37 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings suggest that truncation/activation of Dyrk1A by Ca(2+)/calpain I might contribute to Tau pathology via promotion of exon 10 exclusion and hyperphosphorylation of Tau in AD brain. ..
- Fan X, Zhang Q, You C, Qian Y, Gao J, Liu P, et al. Proteolysis of the human DNA polymerase delta smallest subunit p12 by ?-calpain in calcium-triggered apoptotic HeLa cells. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e93642 pubmed publisher..Thus, the p12/Pol ? is a target as a nuclear substrate of ?-calpain in a calcium-triggered apoptosis and appears to be a potential marker in the study of the chemotherapy of cancer therapies. ..
- Corasaniti M, Navarra M, Catani M, Melino G, Nistico G, Finazzi Agro A. NMDA and HIV-1 coat protein, GP120, produce necrotic but not apoptotic cell death in human CHP100 neuroblastoma cultures via a mechanism involving calpain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;229:299-304 pubmed..Altogether the data indicate that neuroblastoma cell death induced by NMDA and gp120 is of the necrotic type and this implicates calpain protease. ..
- Oda A, Wakao H, Fujita H. Calpain is a signal transducer and activator of transcription (STAT) 3 and STAT5 protease. Blood. 2002;99:1850-2 pubmed..Thus, our study reveals a novel pathway for posttranslational modification of STAT3 and STAT5. ..
- Mikosik A, Zaremba A, Puchalska Z, Daca A, Smolenska Z, Lopatniuk P, et al. Ex vivo measurement of calpain activation in human peripheral blood lymphocytes by detection of immunoreactive products of calpastatin degradation. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2007;45:343-7 pubmed..Extremely high intrinsic activity of calpain was detected in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CD19+) cells. All this confirms the detection of immunoreactive products of calpastatin as a good maker of endogenous calpain activity. ..
- Goossens E, Wijnants M, Packet D, Lemiere F. Enhanced separation and analysis procedure reveals production of tri-acylated mannosylerythritol lipids by Pseudozyma aphidis. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;43:1537-1550 pubmed..In this study, MELs were produced by fed-batch bioreactor fermentation of rapeseed oil with Pseudozyma aphidis MUCL 27852...
- Chen B, Tang J, Guo Y, Li Y, Chen Z, Jiang J. Calpains are required for invasive and metastatic potentials of human HCC cells. Cell Biol Int. 2013;37:643-52 pubmed publisher..Thus µ- and m-calpain may play important roles in the invasion and metastasis of human hepatoma cells, and calpains may be drug targets for preventing HCC metastasis. ..
- Maruyama K, Usami M, Kametani F, Tomita T, Iwatsubo T, Saido T, et al. Molecular interactions between presenilin and calpain: inhibition of m-calpain protease activity by presenilin-1, 2 and cleavage of presenilin-1 by m-, mu-calpain. Int J Mol Med. 2000;5:269-73 pubmed..These results suggest a regulatory function of presenilin on the calpain system. ..
- Jiang L, Zhang J, Monticone R, Telljohann R, Wu J, Wang M, et al. Calpain-1 regulation of matrix metalloproteinase 2 activity in vascular smooth muscle cells facilitates age-associated aortic wall calcification and fibrosis. Hypertension. 2012;60:1192-9 pubmed publisher..These results establish calpain-1 as a novel molecular candidate to retard age-associated extracellular matrix remodeling and its attendant risk for hypertension and atherosclerosis. ..
- Hsu C, Henry J, Raymond A, Méchin M, Pendaries V, Nassar D, et al. Deimination of human filaggrin-2 promotes its proteolysis by calpain 1. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:23222-33 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data demonstrate that calpain 1 is essential for the proteolytic processing of FLG2 and that deimination accelerates this process. ..
- Du X, Saido T, Tsubuki S, Indig F, Williams M, Ginsberg M. Calpain cleavage of the cytoplasmic domain of the integrin beta 3 subunit. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:26146-51 pubmed..Thus, calpain cleavage of the beta 3 cytoplasmic domain may provide a means to regulate integrin signaling functions. ..
- Li T, Lin T, Hsu S, Wu C, Su Y, Kao S, et al. The novel benzimidazole derivative, MPTB, induces cell apoptosis in human chondrosarcoma cells. Mol Carcinog. 2011;50:791-803 pubmed publisher..Importantly, animal studies have revealed a dramatic 44% reduction in tumor volume after 21?d of treatment. This study demonstrates novel anti-cancer activity of MPTB against human chondrosarcoma cells and in murine tumor models...
- Smith I, Aversa Z, Hasselgren P, Pacelli F, Rosa F, Doglietto G, et al. Calpain activity is increased in skeletal muscle from gastric cancer patients with no or minimal weight loss. Muscle Nerve. 2011;43:410-4 pubmed publisher..Calpain activity may be increased in muscle from gastric cancer patients even before changes in molecular markers of muscle wasting and significant weight loss occur. ..
- Wang Y, Hersheson J, López D, Hammer M, Liu Y, Lee K, et al. Defects in the CAPN1 Gene Result in Alterations in Cerebellar Development and Cerebellar Ataxia in Mice and Humans. Cell Rep. 2016;16:79-91 pubmed publisherA CAPN1 missense mutation in Parson Russell Terrier dogs is associated with spinocerebellar ataxia...
- Hamel Côté G, Gendron D, Rola Pleszczynski M, Stankova J. Regulation of platelet-activating factor-mediated protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B activation by a Janus kinase 2/calpain pathway. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180336 pubmed publisher..However, PTP1B does not directly regulate Jak2 activation, but rather Jak2 regulates PAF-induced PTP1B activation. ..
- Shulga N, Pastorino J. Acyl coenzyme A-binding protein augments bid-induced mitochondrial damage and cell death by activating mu-calpain. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30824-33 pubmed..Moreover, ACBP required the presence of the peripheral benzodiazepine receptor (for which ACBP is a ligand) to be retained at the mitochondria, to activate mu-calpain, and to amplify Bid-induced mitochondrial damage. ..
- Wu M, Yu Z, Fan J, Caron A, Whiteway M, Shen S. Functional dissection of human protease mu-calpain in cell migration using RNAi. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:3246-56 pubmed
- Li Q, Hanzlik R, Weaver R, Schonbrunn E. Molecular mode of action of a covalently inhibiting peptidomimetic on the human calpain protease core. Biochemistry. 2006;45:701-8 pubmed..Two large enzyme regions flanking the active site are highly flexible; they may be important in recognition of calpain's natural protein substrates and in positioning them for catalysis. The implications for drug design are discussed. ..
- Salehin D, Fromberg I, Haugk C, Dohmen B, Georg T, Bohle R, et al. Immunhistochemical analysis for expression of calpain 1, calpain 2 and calpastatin in ovarian cancer. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2011;32:628-35 pubmedCalpains, also called calcium activated neutral proteases (CANP), are expressed ubiquitously. They are intracellular, non-lysosomal cytoplasmic cysteine endopeptidases. Calcium is required for their activation...
- Kulkarni S, Reddy K, Esteva F, Moore H, Budd G, Tubbs R. Calpain regulates sensitivity to trastuzumab and survival in HER2-positive breast cancer. Oncogene. 2010;29:1339-50 pubmed publisher..These data identify calpain as a new therapeutic target in HER2-positive breast cancer. ..
- Hsu C, Gasc G, Raymond A, Burlet Schiltz O, Takahara H, Serre G, et al. Deimination of Human Hornerin Enhances its Processing by Calpain-1 and its Cross-Linking by Transglutaminases. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:422-429 pubmed publisher..In HRNR full sequence, four calpain-1 cleavage sites were identified. Altogether, these data allowed a new role to be deciphered for deimination during cornification and provided further characterization of HRNR metabolism. ..
- Shinozaki K, Maruyama K, Kume H, Tomita T, Saido T, Iwatsubo T, et al. The presenilin 2 loop domain interacts with the mu-calpain C-terminal region. Int J Mol Med. 1998;1:797-9 pubmed..In COS-1 cells, the interaction of PS2 with mu-calpain was confirmed by immunoprecipitation. These results suggested that PS2 and mu-calpain interact with each other, and might regulate each other's functions. ..
- Melloni E, Michetti M, Salamino F, Minafra R, Pontremoli S. Modulation of the calpain autoproteolysis by calpastatin and phospholipids. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;229:193-7 pubmed
- Selvakumar P, Smith Windsor E, Bonham K, Sharma R. N-myristoyltransferase 2 expression in human colon cancer: cross-talk between the calpain and caspase system. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:2021-6 pubmed..Our findings provide the first evidence of higher expression of NMT2 in human colorectal adenocarcinomas and the interaction of both forms of NMT with various signaling molecules. ..
- Rios Doria J, Day K, Kuefer R, Rashid M, Chinnaiyan A, Rubin M, et al. The role of calpain in the proteolytic cleavage of E-cadherin in prostate and mammary epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:1372-9 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a novel mechanism by which E-cadherin is functionally inactivated through calpain-mediated proteolysis and suggests that E-cadherin is targeted by calpain during the tumorigenic progression of prostate cancer. ..
- Yaroslavskiy B, Sharrow A, Wells A, Robinson L, Blair H. Necessity of inositol (1,4,5)-trisphosphate receptor 1 and mu-calpain in NO-induced osteoclast motility. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2884-94 pubmed..We conclude that NO-induced motility in osteoclasts requires regulated Ca(2+) release, which activates mu-calpain. This occurs via the Ins(1,4,5)P(3)R1. ..
- Inoue A, Yamazaki M, Ishidoh K, Ogawa H. Epidermal growth factor activates m-calpain, resulting in apoptosis of HaCaT keratinocytes. J Dermatol Sci. 2004;36:60-2 pubmed
- Hood J, Logan B, Sinai A, Brooks W, Roszman T. Association of the calpain/calpastatin network with subcellular organelles. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;310:1200-12 pubmed..Finally, calpain II associates with membrane lipid rafts. These results provide new insights into how the calpain/calpastatin network is spatially and temporally regulated in cells binding to the extracellular matrix. ..
- Ai M, Qiu S, Lu Y, Fan Z. HER2 regulates Brk/PTK6 stability via upregulating calpastatin, an inhibitor of calpain. Cell Signal. 2013;25:1754-61 pubmed publisher..Together, these data offer novel mechanistic insights into the functional relationship between Brk and HER2. ..
- Medana I, Day N, Hien T, Mai N, Bethell D, Phu N, et al. Cerebral calpain in fatal falciparum malaria. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2007;33:179-92 pubmed..Our findings implicate a role for calpains in the modulation of disease progression in CM. ..
- Dong Y, Wu Y, Wu M, Wang S, Zhang J, Xie Z, et al. Activation of protease calpain by oxidized and glycated LDL increases the degradation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:2899-910 pubmed publisher..HOG-LDL may impair endothelial function by inducing calpain-mediated eNOS degradation in a ROS- and Ca(2+)-dependent manner. ..
- Kavita U, Mizel S. Differential sensitivity of interleukin-1 alpha and -beta precursor proteins to cleavage by calpain, a calcium-dependent protease. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:27758-65 pubmed..These results indicate that a calcium-dependent factor other than calpain is involved in the secretion of the mature IL-1 proteins. ..
- Kim K, Lee Y, Shin M. Calpain-dependent cleavage of SHP-1 and SHP-2 is involved in the dephosphorylation of Jurkat T cells induced by Entamoeba histolytica. Parasite Immunol. 2010;32:176-83 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that calpain-dependent cleavage of SHP-1 and SHP-2 may contribute to protein tyrosine dephosphorylation in Jurkat T cell death induced by E. histolytica. ..
- Kim D, Han B, Park K, Lee B, Kim S, Bae C. I-kappaBalpha depletion by transglutaminase 2 and mu-calpain occurs in parallel with the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;399:300-6 pubmed publisher..This suggests that mu-calpain proteasome-dependent I-kappaBalpha polymer degradation may contribute to cancer progression through constitutive NF-kappaB activation. ..
- Brocard C, Plantier V, Boulenguez P, Liabeuf S, Bouhadfane M, Viallat Lieutaud A, et al. Cleavage of Na(+) channels by calpain increases persistent Na(+) current and promotes spasticity after spinal cord injury. Nat Med. 2016;22:404-11 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that Nav channel expression in lumbar motoneurons is altered after SCI, and it shows a tight relationship between the calpain-dependent proteolysis of Nav1.6 channels, the upregulation of I(NaP) and spasticity. ..
- Gil Parrado S, Fernandez Montalvan A, Assfalg Machleidt I, Popp O, Bestvater F, Holloschi A, et al. Ionomycin-activated calpain triggers apoptosis. A probable role for Bcl-2 family members. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:27217-26 pubmed..We conclude that ionomycin-induced calpain activation promotes decrease of Bcl-2 proteins thereby triggering the intrinsic apoptotic pathway. ..
- Michetti M, Salamino F, Minafra R, Melloni E, Pontremoli S. Calcium-binding properties of human erythrocyte calpain. Biochem J. 1997;325 ( Pt 3):721-6 pubmed
- Mikosik A, Henc I, Ruckemann DziurdziÅ„ska K, FrÄ…ckowiak J, PÅ‚oszyÅ„ska A, Balcerska A, et al. Increased Î¼-Calpain Activity in Blasts of Common B-Precursor Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Correlates with Their Lower Susceptibility to Apoptosis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0136615 pubmed publisher..Significantly higher Î¼-calpain (CAPN1) gene transcription, protein amounts and activity (but not those of m-calpain), with calpastatin amount and ..
- McRobert E, Young A, Bach L. Advanced glycation end-products induce calpain-mediated degradation of ezrin. FEBS J. 2012;279:3240-50 pubmed publisher..Therapies targeting both glycated proteins and calpain may provide protection against diabetic complications. ..
- Trümpler A, Schlott B, Herrlich P, Greer P, Bohmer F. Calpain-mediated degradation of reversibly oxidized protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1B. FEBS J. 2009;276:5622-33 pubmed publisher..Reversibly oxidized PTP1B may be a target of calpain in this context. ..
- Jabbur J, Zhang W. p53 Antiproliferative function is enhanced by aspartate substitution at threonine 18 and serine 20. Cancer Biol Ther. 2002;1:277-83 pubmed
- Panigrahi A, Zhang N, Mao Q, Pati D. Calpain-1 cleaves Rad21 to promote sister chromatid separation. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4335-47 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our work reveals a novel function of calpain-1 and describes an additional pathway for sister chromatid separation in humans...
- Zhang W, Lane R, Mellgren R. The major calpain isozymes are long-lived proteins. Design of an antisense strategy for calpain depletion in cultured cells. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:18825-30 pubmed..Together with previous studies, these results indicate a requirement for calpains in mammalian cell proliferation...
- Rock M, Brooks W, Roszman T. Calcium-dependent signaling pathways in T cells. Potential role of calpain, protein tyrosine phosphatase 1b, and p130Cas in integrin-mediated signaling events. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:33377-83 pubmed..Thus, we describe a novel calcium-dependent signaling pathway in T cells that may mediate signals generated by beta1 integrin adherence to the extracellular matrix. ..
- Loew D, Perrault C, Morales M, Moog S, Ravanat C, Schuhler S, et al. Proteolysis of the exodomain of recombinant protease-activated receptors: prediction of receptor activation or inactivation by MALDI mass spectrometry. Biochemistry. 2000;39:10812-22 pubmed..This strategy provides results which can be extended to the native receptor to predict its activation or inactivation, and it could likewise be used to study other PARs or protease-dependent processes. ..