Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: loqs
Alias: CG6866, Dmel\CG6866, LOQS, Loqs, R3D1, R3D1-L, R3D1-S, TRBP, cg6866, dRax, loq, r3d1, loquacious, CG6866-PA, CG6866-PB, CG6866-PC, CG6866-PD, CG6866-PE, CG6866-PF, loqs-PA, loqs-PB, loqs-PC, loqs-PD, loqs-PE, loqs-PF
Species: fruit fly
- Jiang F, Ye X, Liu X, Fincher L, McKearin D, Liu Q. Dicer-1 and R3D1-L catalyze microRNA maturation in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1674-9 pubmed..Here we identify a novel dsRNA-binding protein, which we named R3D1-L, that forms a stable complex with Dicer-1 in vitro and in vivo...
- Yang L, Chen D, Duan R, Xia L, Wang J, Qurashi A, et al. Argonaute 1 regulates the fate of germline stem cells in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:4265-72 pubmed..Given that AGO1 serves as a key component of the miRNA pathway, we propose that an AGO1-dependent miRNA pathway probably plays an instructive role in repressing GSC/cystoblast differentiation. ..
- Zhou R, Czech B, Brennecke J, Sachidanandam R, Wohlschlegel J, Perrimon N, et al. Processing of Drosophila endo-siRNAs depends on a specific Loquacious isoform. RNA. 2009;15:1886-95 pubmed publisher..expressed small RNAs that are sequentially processed from hairpin-like precursors by Drosha/Pasha and Dcr-1/Loquacious complexes. MicroRNAs usually associate with AGO1 and regulate the expression of protein-coding genes...
- Ye X, Paroo Z, Liu Q. Functional anatomy of the Drosophila microRNA-generating enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:28373-8 pubmed..the multidomain RNase III Dicer-1 (Dcr-1) functions in tandem with the double-stranded (ds)RNA-binding protein Loquacious (Loqs) to catalyze the maturation of microRNAs (miRNAs) from precursor (pre)-miRNAs...
- Okamura K, Balla S, Martin R, Liu N, Lai E. Two distinct mechanisms generate endogenous siRNAs from bidirectional transcription in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:581-90 pubmed publisher..These newly recognized siRNA pathways broaden the scope of regulatory networks mediated by small RNAs. ..
- Hartig J, Esslinger S, Böttcher R, Saito K, Forstemann K. Endo-siRNAs depend on a new isoform of loquacious and target artificially introduced, high-copy sequences. EMBO J. 2009;28:2932-44 pubmed publisher..We show that their biogenesis depends on a new isoform of the Drosophila TRBP homologue loquacious, which arises by alternative polyadenylation and is distinct from the one that functions during the biogenesis ..
- Khurana J, Xu J, Weng Z, Theurkauf W. Distinct functions for the Drosophila piRNA pathway in genome maintenance and telomere protection. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001246 pubmed publisher..However, the aub and armi genes have an additional function in assembly of the telomere protection complex. ..
- Du T, Zamore P. microPrimer: the biogenesis and function of microRNA. Development. 2005;132:4645-52 pubmed..miRNAs function very much like siRNAs, but these two types of small RNAs can be distinguished by their distinct pathways for maturation and by the logic by which they regulate gene expression. ..
- Obbard D, Jiggins F, Halligan D, Little T. Natural selection drives extremely rapid evolution in antiviral RNAi genes. Curr Biol. 2006;16:580-5 pubmed..This is a signature of host-pathogen arms races and implies that the ancient battle between RNA viruses and host antiviral RNAi genes is active and significant in shaping RNAi function. ..
- Liu X, Park J, Jiang F, Liu Y, McKearin D, Liu Q. Dicer-1, but not Loquacious, is critical for assembly of miRNA-induced silencing complexes. RNA. 2007;13:2324-9 pubmedDouble-stranded RNA-binding proteins (dsRBPs), such as R2D2 and Loquacious (Loqs), function in tandem with Dicer (Dcr) enzymes in RNA interference (RNAi)...
- Bilen J, Liu N, Burnett B, Pittman R, Bonini N. MicroRNA pathways modulate polyglutamine-induced neurodegeneration. Mol Cell. 2006;24:157-63 pubmed..These findings indicate that miRNA pathways dramatically modulate polyQ- and tau-induced neurodegeneration, providing the foundation for new insight into therapeutics. ..
- Park J, Liu X, Strauss T, McKearin D, Liu Q. The miRNA pathway intrinsically controls self-renewal of Drosophila germline stem cells. Curr Biol. 2007;17:533-8 pubmed..In Drosophila, Dicer-1 (Dcr-1) and the double-stranded RNA binding protein Loquacious (Loqs) catalyze miRNA biogenesis [3-5]...
- Miyoshi K, Miyoshi T, Hartig J, Siomi H, Siomi M. Molecular mechanisms that funnel RNA precursors into endogenous small-interfering RNA and microRNA biogenesis pathways in Drosophila. RNA. 2010;16:506-15 pubmed publisher..Recent studies have shown that among the four isoforms of Loquacious (Loqs), Loqs-PB and Loqs-PD are involved in miRNA and esiRNA processing pathways, respectively...
- Saito K, Ishizuka A, Siomi H, Siomi M. Processing of pre-microRNAs by the Dicer-1-Loquacious complex in Drosophila cells. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e235 pubmed..Here we show that Drosophila Dicer-1 interacts with Loquacious, a double-stranded RNA-binding domain protein...
- Okamura K, Hagen J, Duan H, Tyler D, Lai E. The mirtron pathway generates microRNA-class regulatory RNAs in Drosophila. Cell. 2007;130:89-100 pubmed..miRNA pathway during hairpin export by Exportin-5, and both types of hairpins are subsequently processed by Dicer-1/loqs. This generates small RNAs that can repress perfectly matched and seed-matched targets, and we provide evidence ..
- Han Y, Luo Y, Wu Q, Jovel J, Wang X, Aliyari R, et al. RNA-based immunity terminates viral infection in adult Drosophila in the absence of viral suppression of RNA interference: characterization of viral small interfering RNA populations in wild-type and mutant flies. J Virol. 2011;85:13153-63 pubmed publisher..of viral siRNAs since FHV?B2 infection was terminated in flies carrying a partial loss-of-function mutation in loquacious required for viral siRNA biogenesis...
- Han B, Hung J, Weng Z, Zamore P, Ameres S. The 3'-to-5' exoribonuclease Nibbler shapes the 3' ends of microRNAs bound to Drosophila Argonaute1. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1878-87 pubmed publisher..We provide a molecular explanation for the previously reported heterogeneity of miRNA 3' ends and propose a model in which Nibbler converts miRNAs into isoforms that are compatible with the preferred length of Ago1-bound small RNAs. ..
- Kavi H, Fernandez H, Xie W, Birchler J. RNA silencing in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5940-9 pubmed..RNA silencing processes in Drosophila are described. ..
- Fukunaga R, Han B, Hung J, Xu J, Weng Z, Zamore P. Dicer partner proteins tune the length of mature miRNAs in flies and mammals. Cell. 2012;151:533-46 pubmed publisher..Alternative splicing of the loquacious (loqs) mRNA generates three distinct Dicer partner proteins...
- Ni J, Zhou R, Czech B, Liu L, Holderbaum L, Yang Zhou D, et al. A genome-scale shRNA resource for transgenic RNAi in Drosophila. Nat Methods. 2011;8:405-7 pubmed publisher..We show that shRNAs, modeled on an endogenous microRNA, are extremely effective at silencing gene expression during oogenesis. We also describe our progress toward building a genome-wide shRNA resource. ..
- Hartig J, Forstemann K. Loqs-PD and R2D2 define independent pathways for RISC generation in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:3836-51 pubmed publisher..RNA binding domain proteins (dsRBPs): R2D2 is needed to load exo-siRNAs into Ago2 while the PD isoform of Loquacious (Loqs-PD) stimulates Dcr-2 during the nucleolytic processing of hairpin-derived endo-siRNAs...
- Neumüller R, Betschinger J, Fischer A, Bushati N, Poernbacher I, Mechtler K, et al. Mei-P26 regulates microRNAs and cell growth in the Drosophila ovarian stem cell lineage. Nature. 2008;454:241-5 pubmed publisher..Mei-P26 and Brat have a similar domain composition that is also found in other tumour suppressors and might be a defining property of a new family of microRNA regulators that act specifically in stem cell lineages. ..
- Chung W, Okamura K, Martin R, Lai E. Endogenous RNA interference provides a somatic defense against Drosophila transposons. Curr Biol. 2008;18:795-802 pubmed publisher..Drosophila utilizes two small-RNA systems to restrict transposon activity in the germline (mostly via piRNAs) and in the soma (mostly via siRNAs). ..
- Okamura K, Chung W, Ruby J, Guo H, Bartel D, Lai E. The Drosophila hairpin RNA pathway generates endogenous short interfering RNAs. Nature. 2008;453:803-6 pubmed publisher..RNA interference factors (Dicer-2, Hen1 (known as CG12367) and Argonaute 2) with a canonical microRNA factor (Loquacious) to generate approximately 21-nucleotide siRNAs...
- Forstemann K, Horwich M, Wee L, Tomari Y, Zamore P. Drosophila microRNAs are sorted into functionally distinct argonaute complexes after production by dicer-1. Cell. 2007;130:287-97 pubmed..Thus, the two members of the Drosophila Ago subclade of Argonaute proteins are functionally specialized, but specific small RNA classes are not restricted to associate with Ago1 or Ago2. ..
- Meyer W, Schreiber S, Guo Y, Volkmann T, Welte M, Müller H. Overlapping functions of argonaute proteins in patterning and morphogenesis of Drosophila embryos. PLoS Genet. 2006;2:e134 pubmed..Our findings argue against a strict separation of Ago1 and Ago2 functions and suggest that these proteins act in concert to control key steps of the midblastula transition and of segmental patterning. ..
- Okamura K, Ladewig E, Zhou L, Lai E. Functional small RNAs are generated from select miRNA hairpin loops in flies and mammals. Genes Dev. 2013;27:778-92 pubmed publisher..Altogether, we reveal a conserved mechanism that yields functional RNAs from miRNA loop regions, broadening the repertoire of Argonaute-dependent regulatory RNAs and providing evidence for functionality of endogenous ssRNA species...
- Forstemann K, Tomari Y, Du T, Vagin V, Denli A, Bratu D, et al. Normal microRNA maturation and germ-line stem cell maintenance requires Loquacious, a double-stranded RNA-binding domain protein. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e236 pubmed..processing of Drosophila pre-miRNAs by Dicer-1 requires the double-stranded RNA-binding domain (dsRBD) protein Loquacious (Loqs), a homolog of human TRBP, a protein first identified as binding the HIV trans-activator RNA (TAR)...
- Cenik E, Fukunaga R, Lu G, Dutcher R, Wang Y, Tanaka Hall T, et al. Phosphate and R2D2 restrict the substrate specificity of Dicer-2, an ATP-driven ribonuclease. Mol Cell. 2011;42:172-84 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Dicer-2 helicase domain uses ATP to generate many siRNAs from a single molecule of dsRNA before dissociating from its substrate. ..
- Marques J, Kim K, Wu P, Alleyne T, Jafari N, Carthew R. Loqs and R2D2 act sequentially in the siRNA pathway in Drosophila. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:24-30 pubmed publisher..A potentially distinct siRNA pathway, which requires Dcr-2 in association with a different dsRBP, called Loquacious (Loqs), is activated by endogenous dsRNA derived from transposons, structured loci and overlapping transcripts...
- Nishida K, Miyoshi K, Ogino A, Miyoshi T, Siomi H, Siomi M. Roles of R2D2, a cytoplasmic D2 body component, in the endogenous siRNA pathway in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2013;49:680-91 pubmed publisher..The functions of R2D2 are required to avoid endo-siRNA misdirection to Ago1, because Ago1 is capable of loading incompletely complementary miRNA duplexes and endo-siRNA duplexes. ..
- Fagegaltier D, Bouge A, Berry B, Poisot E, Sismeiro O, Coppee J, et al. The endogenous siRNA pathway is involved in heterochromatin formation in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:21258-63 pubmed publisher..Similar effects were observed in dcr2, r2d2, and ago2 mutants. Our findings provide evidence that a nuclear pool of TE-derived endo-siRNAs is involved in heterochromatin formation in somatic tissues in Drosophila. ..
- Miyoshi K, Okada T, Siomi H, Siomi M. Characterization of the miRNA-RISC loading complex and miRNA-RISC formed in the Drosophila miRNA pathway. RNA. 2009;15:1282-91 pubmed publisher..The AGO1-PIWI mutant showed no Slicer activity but associates with mature miRNA. These results indicate that these domains are required differently for miRLC and miRISC formation in the miRNA pathway. ..
- Vagin V, Sigova A, Li C, Seitz H, Gvozdev V, Zamore P. A distinct small RNA pathway silences selfish genetic elements in the germline. Science. 2006;313:320-4 pubmed..Our data suggest that rasiRNAs protect the fly germline through a silencing mechanism distinct from both the miRNA and RNA interference pathways. ..
- Okamura K, Robine N, Liu Y, Liu Q, Lai E. R2D2 organizes small regulatory RNA pathways in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:884-96 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal new roles of R2D2 in organizing small RNA networks in Drosophila. ..
- Filipowicz W. RNAi: the nuts and bolts of the RISC machine. Cell. 2005;122:17-20 pubmed
- Bogerd H, Whisnant A, Kennedy E, Flores O, Cullen B. Derivation and characterization of Dicer- and microRNA-deficient human cells. RNA. 2014;20:923-37 pubmed publisher..rescued by ectopic expression of the Drosophila Dicer 1 protein, but only in the presence of the PB isoform of Loquacious (Loqs-PB), the fly homolog of the hDcr cofactor TRBP...
- Wienholds E, Plasterk R. MicroRNA function in animal development. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5911-22 pubmed..Here, we review the recent advances in miRNA biology in animals. Particularly, we focus on the roles of miRNAs in vertebrate development and disease. ..
- Eulalio A, Rehwinkel J, Stricker M, Huntzinger E, Yang S, Doerks T, et al. Target-specific requirements for enhancers of decapping in miRNA-mediated gene silencing. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2558-70 pubmed..These findings suggest that miRNAs mediate post-transcriptional gene silencing by more than one mechanism. ..
- Ruby J, Jan C, Bartel D. Intronic microRNA precursors that bypass Drosha processing. Nature. 2007;448:83-6 pubmed..This suggests that other lineages with many similarly sized introns probably also have mirtrons, and that the mirtron pathway could have provided an early avenue for the emergence of miRNAs before the advent of Drosha. ..
- Yang J, Smibert P, Westholm J, Jee D, Maurin T, Lai E. Intertwined pathways for Argonaute-mediated microRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:1987-2002 pubmed publisher..Routing of pre-mir-451 hairpins to the miRNA effector AGO1 was inhibited by Dicer-1 and its partner Loqs. Loss of these miRNA factors promoted association of pre-mir-451 with AGO1, which sliced them and permitted ..
- Jakob L, Treiber T, Treiber N, Gust A, Kramm K, Hansen K, et al. Structural and functional insights into the fly microRNA biogenesis factor Loquacious. RNA. 2016;22:383-96 pubmed publisher..For efficient processing, double-stranded RNA-binding proteins support Dicer proteins. In flies, Loquacious (Loqs) interacts with Dicer1 (dmDcr1) to facilitate miRNA processing...
- Bronkhorst A, Van Rij R. The long and short of antiviral defense: small RNA-based immunity in insects. Curr Opin Virol. 2014;7:19-28 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent insights into the mechanism of antiviral RNAi, viral small RNA profiles, and viral counter-defense mechanisms in insects. ..
- Chak L, Mohammed J, Lai E, Tucker Kellogg G, Okamura K. A deeply conserved, noncanonical miRNA hosted by ribosomal DNA. RNA. 2015;21:375-84 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that biologically active miRNA genes may remain unidentified even in well-studied organisms. ..
- Park J, Heo I, Tian Y, Simanshu D, Chang H, Jee D, et al. Dicer recognizes the 5' end of RNA for efficient and accurate processing. Nature. 2011;475:201-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, 5'-end recognition by Dicer is important for precise and effective biogenesis of miRNAs. Insights from this study should also afford practical benefits to the design of small hairpin RNAs. ..
- Martin R, Smibert P, Yalcin A, Tyler D, Schäfer U, Tuschl T, et al. A Drosophila pasha mutant distinguishes the canonical microRNA and mirtron pathways. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:861-70 pubmed publisher..These data suggest limitations to somatic clonal analysis of miRNA pathway components. ..
- Lim M, Ng A, Chou Y, Lim T, Simcox A, Tucker Kellogg G, et al. The Drosophila Dicer-1 Partner Loquacious Enhances miRNA Processing from Hairpins with Unstable Structures at the Dicing Site. Cell Rep. 2016;15:1795-808 pubmed publisherIn Drosophila, Dicer-1 binds Loquacious-PB (Loqs-PB) as its major co-factor...
- Gomes A, Nolasco S, Soares H. Non-coding RNAs: multi-tasking molecules in the cell. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:16010-39 pubmed publisher..We also highlighted the implications of biogenesis and gene expression deregulation of sncRNAs and lncRNAs in human diseases like cancer. ..
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..
- Mirkovic H sle M, F rstemann K. Transposon defense by endo-siRNAs, piRNAs and somatic pilRNAs in Drosophila: contributions of Loqs-PD and R2D2. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e84994 pubmed publisher..The biogenesis of endo-siRNAs involves the Dicer-2 co-factors Loqs-PD, which acts predominantly during processing of dsRNA by Dcr-2, and R2D2, which primarily helps to direct siRNAs ..
- Marques J, Wang J, Wang X, de Oliveira K, Gao C, Aguiar E, et al. Functional specialization of the small interfering RNA pathway in response to virus infection. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003579 pubmed publisher..interfering RNAs (siRNAs) by Dicer-2 (Dcr-2) in association with a dsRNA-binding protein (dsRBP) cofactor called Loquacious (Loqs-PD)...
- Pek J, Lim A, Kai T. Drosophila maelstrom ensures proper germline stem cell lineage differentiation by repressing microRNA-7. Dev Cell. 2009;17:417-24 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mael ensures proper differentiation in the GSC lineage by repressing miR-7. ..
- Sinha N, Trettin K, Aruscavage P, Bass B. Drosophila dicer-2 cleavage is mediated by helicase- and dsRNA termini-dependent states that are modulated by Loquacious-PD. Mol Cell. 2015;58:406-17 pubmed publisher..We find that dmDcr-2's partner protein, Loquacious-PD, alters termini dependence, enabling dmDcr-2 to cleave substrates normally refractory to cleavage, such as ..
- Tants J, Fesser S, Kern T, Stehle R, Geerlof A, Wunderlich C, et al. Molecular basis for asymmetry sensing of siRNAs by the Drosophila Loqs-PD/Dcr-2 complex in RNA interference. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:12536-12550 pubmed publisher..Through genome editing we demonstrate that Loqs-PD, the Drosophila homolog of human TAR RNA binding protein (TRBP) and a paralog of R2D2, forms an alternative RLC with Dcr-2 that is required for strand choice of endogenous siRNAs ..
- Leuschner P, Obernosterer G, Martinez J. MicroRNAs: Loquacious speaks out. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R603-5 pubmed..New data show that Dicer-1 also requires a double-stranded RNA binding protein called Loquacious for efficient microRNA-mediated gene silencing.
- Dueck A, Meister G. Assembly and function of small RNA - argonaute protein complexes. Biol Chem. 2014;395:611-29 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the mechanisms of Argonaute loading in different organisms. Furthermore, we highlight the versatile functions of small RNA-Argonaute protein complexes in organisms from all three kingdoms of life. ..
- Kennedy E, Kornepati A, Bogerd H, Cullen B. Partial reconstitution of the RNAi response in human cells using Drosophila gene products. RNA. 2017;23:153-160 pubmed publisher..This result may be explained by our finding that dDcr2 is able to bind the human Loqs-PD homolog TRBP when expressed in human cells in the absence of Loqs-PD...
- Graindorge A, Carré C, Gebauer F. Sex-lethal promotes nuclear retention of msl2 mRNA via interactions with the STAR protein HOW. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1421-33 pubmed publisher..Cooperation with SXL confers a sex-specific role to HOW. Our results uncover a novel function of SXL in nuclear mRNA retention and identify HOW as a mediator of this function. ..
- Menon D, Meller V. A role for siRNA in X-chromosome dosage compensation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2012;191:1023-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings are consistent with a role for siRNA in selective recognition of X chromatin. ..
- Bennett R, Blalock W, Choi E, Lee Y, Zhang Y, Zhou L, et al. RAX is required for fly neuronal development and mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev. 2008;125:777-85 pubmed publisher..for both fruit flies carrying a transposon insertion in the 5' UTR of dRax (independently identified as loqs/R3D1) and mice with a deletion of the entire Rax gene...
- Wu P, Isaji M, Carthew R. Functionally diverse microRNA effector complexes are regulated by extracellular signaling. Mol Cell. 2013;52:113-23 pubmed publisher..P-miRISC is comprised of Ago1, miRNA, and Loqs-PB, and it associates with mRNAs assembled into polysomes...
- Kim J, Orr Weaver T. Analysis of a Drosophila amplicon in follicle cells highlights the diversity of metazoan replication origins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:16681-6 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, the final round of origin activation at DAFC-34B occurs in the absence of detectable ORC, although MCMs are present, suggesting a new amplification initiation mechanism. ..
- Tsutsumi A, Kawamata T, Izumi N, Seitz H, Tomari Y. Recognition of the pre-miRNA structure by Drosophila Dicer-1. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:1153-8 pubmed publisher..This unique mechanism allows fly Dicer-1 to strictly inspect the authenticity of pre-miRNA structures. ..
- Josse T, Teysset L, Todeschini A, Sidor C, Anxolabehere D, Ronsseray S. Telomeric trans-silencing: an epigenetic repression combining RNA silencing and heterochromatin formation. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:1633-43 pubmed..is involved in the small interfering RNA (or siRNA) silencing pathway, nor is it sensitive to a mutation in loquacious, which is involved in the micro RNA (or miRNA) silencing pathway...
- Fukunaga R. Loquacious-PD removes phosphate inhibition of Dicer-2 processing of hairpin RNAs into siRNAs. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;498:1022-1027 pubmed publisherDrosophila Dicer-2 processes RNA substrates into short interfering RNAs (siRNAs). Loquacious-PD (Loqs-PD), a dsRNA-binding protein that associates with Dicer-2, is required for processing of a subset of RNA substrates including hairpin ..