Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Missouri-Kansas City
Location: Kansas City, USA
- Waterborg J. Sequence analysis of acetylation and methylation in two histone H3 variants of alfalfa. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:17157-61 pubmed....
- Waterborg J. Plant histone acetylation: in the beginning . Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1809:353-9 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Epigenetic Control of cellular and developmental processes in plants. ..
- Waterborg J, Harrington R, Winicov I. Dynamic histone acetylation in alfalfa cells. Butyrate interference with acetate labeling. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1990;1049:324-30 pubmed..This interpretation is supported by 14C-labeling of alfalfa acetylated histones by [1-14C]butyrate. ..
- Glowczewski L, Waterborg J, Berman J. Yeast chromatin assembly complex 1 protein excludes nonacetylatable forms of histone H4 from chromatin and the nucleus. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10180-92 pubmed..In addition, our data support a model whereby Cac1p and Kap123 cooperate to ensure that only appropriately acetylated histone H4 proteins are imported into the nucleus. ..
- Song O, Wang X, Waterborg J, Sternglanz R. An Nalpha-acetyltransferase responsible for acetylation of the N-terminal residues of histones H4 and H2A. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:38109-12 pubmed..Thus, Nat4 may be dedicated specifically to the N-terminal acetylation of histones H4 and H2A. Surprisingly, nat4 mutants grow at a normal rate and have no readily observable phenotypes. ..
- Waterborg J. Dynamics of histone acetylation in vivo. A function for acetylation turnover?. Biochem Cell Biol. 2002;80:363-78 pubmed..However, recent experiments suggest that turnover may be linked directly to steps in gene transcription, interacting with nucleosome remodeling complexes. ..
- Waterborg J, Kapros T. Kinetic analysis of histone acetylation turnover and Trichostatin A induced hyper- and hypoacetylation in alfalfa. Biochem Cell Biol. 2002;80:279-93 pubmed..Thus, application of TSA to change gene expression in vivo in plants may have unexpected consequences. ..
- Kapros T, Robertson A, Waterborg J. A simple method to make better probes from short DNA fragments. Mol Biotechnol. 1994;2:95-8 pubmed..Random priming of the concatemer insert readily yields hybridization probes of high specificity, unattainable from the short monomer fragments. ..
- Waterborg J. Histone synthesis and turnover in alfalfa. Fast loss of highly acetylated replacement histone variant H3.2. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:4912-7 pubmed..The extent of its preferential assembly into active chromatin nucleosomes and the rapid rate of its subsequent loss indicate significant dissolution of plant nucleosomes during gene transcription. ..
- Robertson A, Kapros T, Waterborg J. A cell cycle-regulated histone H3 gene of alfalfa with an atypical promoter structure. DNA Seq. 1997;7:209-16 pubmed..TTAATNA was recognized as a new sequence element in the 3' untranslated regions of this and all other cell cycle-dependent histone H3 genes of dicotyledonous plants. It is not found in the replication-independent histone H3 genes. ..
- Waterborg J. Existence of two histone H3 variants in dicotyledonous plants and correlation between their acetylation and plant genome size. Plant Mol Biol. 1992;18:181-7 pubmed..2 and also with the level of acetylation of both histone H3 variants. This correlation matches the general tendency that in plants with smaller genomes a larger fraction of the genome is transcriptionally active. ..
- Waterborg J. Dynamics of histone acetylation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:27602-9 pubmed..Acetylation of histone H2B was low and of H2A was barely measurable. Despite turnover with half-lives of approximately 2 min, no increase beyond di-acetylation was seen upon TSA treatment. ..
- Waterborg J. Steady-state levels of histone acetylation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:13007-11 pubmed..Following M(r) 100,000 ultrafiltration in 2.5% acetic acid, yeast histone H3 was purified to homogeneity by reversed-phase high pressure liquid chromatography. Other core histones were obtained at 80-95% purity. ..
- Chaubet Gigot N, Kapros T, Flenet M, Kahn K, Gigot C, Waterborg J. Tissue-dependent enhancement of transgene expression by introns of replacement histone H3 genes of Arabidopsis. Plant Mol Biol. 2001;45:17-30 pubmed..Such factors appear most abundant in roots. ..
- Zernicka Goetz M, Pines J. Use of Green Fluorescent Protein in mouse embryos. Methods. 2001;24:55-60 pubmed..In this article we outline the ways in which we have used GFP mRNA and cDNA in our studies of mouse cell lineages, and to characterize the behavior of proteins within the embryos. ..
- Kelemen Z, Mai A, Kapros T, Feher A, Györgyey J, Waterborg J, et al. Transformation vector based on promoter and intron sequences of a replacement histone H3 gene. A tool for high, constitutive gene expression in plants. Transgenic Res. 2002;11:69-72 pubmed..Thus, alfalfa replacement H3 gene sequences can be used instead of viral promoters to drive heterologous gene expression in plants, avoiding perceived risks of viral sequences...
- Waterborg J. Multiplicity of histone h3 variants in wheat, barley, rice, and maize. Plant Physiol. 1991;96:453-8 pubmed..These observations support the idea that acetylated histones and especially variant III proteins are an element of transcriptionally active chromatin. ..
- Anju V, Kapros T, Waterborg J. Identification of a replication-independent replacement histone H3 in the basidiomycete Ustilago maydis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:25790-800 pubmed publisher....
- Robertson A, Kapros T, Dudits D, Waterborg J. Identification of three highly expressed replacement histone H3 genes of alfalfa. DNA Seq. 1996;6:137-46 pubmed..Chromatin repression of these replacement genes would be avoided, consistent with the high, constitutive expression of replacement H3 histone genes in plants. ..
- Waterborg J. Dynamic methylation of alfalfa histone H3. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:4918-21 pubmed..Turnover of methyl modification groups independent of histone turnover was not detected. ..
- Waterborg J, Robertson A. Efficient large-scale purification of restriction fragments by solute-displacement ion-exchange HPLC. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:2913-5 pubmed..We demonstrate that by intentional overloading of the small (4.6 x 35 mm) non-porous TSK-DEAE HPLC column, hundreds of micrograms of DNA restriction fragments could be resolved and purified in a single HPLC run of less than 30 minutes. ..
- Waterborg J, Matthews H. Fluorography of polyacrylamide gels containing tritium. Methods Mol Biol. 1994;32:163-7 pubmed
- Kapros T, Robertson A, Waterborg J. Histone H3 transcript stability in alfalfa. Plant Mol Biol. 1995;28:901-14 pubmed..Destabilization of replication-dependent histone H3.1 mRNA was detected in non-S phase cells. ..
- Waterborg J, Matthews H. The electrophoretic elution of proteins from polyacrylamide gels. Methods Mol Biol. 1994;32:169-75 pubmed
- Waterborg J, Robertson A, Tatar D, Borza C, Davie J. Histones of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Synthesis, acetylation, and methylation. Plant Physiol. 1995;109:393-407 pubmed..An algal histone H3 sequence was confirmed by protein sequencing with a single threonine as residue 28 instead of the serine28-alanine29 sequence, present in all other known plant and animal H3 histones. ..
- Waterborg J, Harrington R. Western blotting of histones from acid-urea-Triton- and sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gels. Anal Biochem. 1987;162:430-4 pubmed..Nitrocellulose with a pore size of 0.2 micron was optimal for histone detection. ..
- Waterborg J. Involvement of cysteine residues in the electrophoretic mobility of histone H3 in acid-urea-Triton gels. Electrophoresis. 1990;11:638-41 pubmed..Carbamylation of cysteine 110 did not affect Triton binding but prevented ionization of the thiol side-chain moiety in the acetic acid-urea-Triton X-100 gel. ..
- Waterborg J. Identification of five sites of acetylation in alfalfa histone H4. Biochemistry. 1992;31:6211-9 pubmed..The in vivo pattern of lysine acetylation (16 greater than 12 greater than 8 greater than or equal to 5 = 20) revealed a preference for lysines -16 and -12 without an apparent strict sequential specificity of acetylation. ..
- Waterborg J, Robertson A. Common features of analogous replacement histone H3 genes in animals and plants. J Mol Evol. 1996;43:194-206 pubmed..It is speculated that they may contribute to the characteristic cell-cycle-independent pattern of replacement histone H3 genes by binding nucleosome-excluding proteins. ..
- Waterborg J, Matthews H. The Lowry method for protein quantitation. Methods Mol Biol. 1994;32:1-4 pubmed
- Waterborg J, Winicov I, Harrington R. Histone variants and acetylated species from the alfalfa plant Medicago sativa. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1987;256:167-78 pubmed..Several histone H1 species were identified by solubility and cross-reactivity with antiserum raised against the globular part of bovine H1(0), indicating conservation of epitopes between histone H1 of mammals and higher plants. ..
- van Dijk K, Marley K, Jeong B, Xu J, Hesson J, Cerny R, et al. Monomethyl histone H3 lysine 4 as an epigenetic mark for silenced euchromatin in Chlamydomonas. Plant Cell. 2005;17:2439-53 pubmed..Together, our results suggest functional differentiation between dimethyl H3K4 and monomethyl H3K4, with the latter operating as an epigenetic mark for repressed euchromatin...
- Waterborg J, Harrington R, Winicov I. Differential Histone Acetylation in Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Due to Growth in NaCl : Responses in Salt Stressed and Salt Tolerant Callus Cultures. Plant Physiol. 1989;90:237-45 pubmed..It may also represent an adaptive response in chromatin structure to permit chromatin function in a more saline intranuclear environment. ..
- Waterborg J. Evolution of histone H3: emergence of variants and conservation of post-translational modification sites. Biochem Cell Biol. 2012;90:79-95 pubmed publisher..Less complete conservation was found for most serine and threonine phosphorylation sites. This study demonstrates that TOL analysis can determine the evolution of slowly evolving proteins in sequence-saturated datasets. ..