Affiliation: University of Miami
- P2Y2 nucleotide receptors inhibit trauma-induced death of astrocytic cellsMichelle Burgos
Department of Biochemistry, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Neurochem 103:1785-800. 2007..Taken together, our results demonstrate a novel role for P2Y(2) nucleotide receptors and extracellular nucleotides in mediating survival responses to glial cells undergoing cellular death induced by trauma...
- Trophic actions of extracellular ATP: gene expression profiling by DNA array analysisJ T Neary
Research Service, VA Medical Center, and Departments of Pathology and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33125, USA
J Auton Nerv Syst 81:200-4. 2000....
- Opposing effects of P2X(7) and P2Y purine/pyrimidine-preferring receptors on proliferation of astrocytes induced by fibroblast growth factor-2: implications for CNS development, injury, and repairJoseph T Neary
Research Service, Miami VA Healthcare System, Department of Pathology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33125, USA
J Neurosci Res 86:3096-105. 2008..These trophic actions of P2X(7) and P2Y purine/pyrimidine receptors may contribute to the regulation of CNS development, adult neurogenesis, and the response of astrocytes to injury...
- Cell cycle regulation of astrocytes by extracellular nucleotides and fibroblast growth factor-2Joseph T Neary
Research Service, Miami VA Medical Center, Departments of Pathology and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Neuroscience Program, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Purinergic Signal 1:329-36. 2005..Interactions between P2Y, P2X and polypeptide growth factor signaling pathways may have important implications for CNS development as well as injury and repair...
- Protein kinase signaling cascades in CNS traumaJoseph T Neary
Research Service, Miami VA Medical Center, Florida 33125, USA
IUBMB Life 57:711-8. 2005....
- Signaling from P2 nucleotide receptors to protein kinase cascades induced by CNS injury: implications for reactive gliosis and neurodegenerationJoseph T Neary
Research Service, VA Medical Center, Department of Pathology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Mol Neurobiol 31:95-103. 2005..We suggest that P2 receptor/protein kinase signaling pathways might provide novel therapeutic targets to regulate the formation of reactive astrocytes and the production of molecules that affect axonal regeneration and neurodegeneration...
- Signaling from nucleotide receptors to protein kinase cascades in astrocytesJoseph T Neary
Research Service, Miami VA Medical Center, Department of Pathology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33125, USA
Neurochem Res 29:2037-42. 2004....
- Activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase by stretch-induced injury in astrocytes involves extracellular ATP and P2 purinergic receptorsJoseph T Neary
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Pathology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33125, USA
J Neurosci 23:2348-56. 2003....
- Biochemical mechanisms of action of Hypericum LI 160 in glial and neuronal cells: inhibition of neurotransmitter uptake and stimulation of extracellular signal regulated protein kinaseJ T Neary
Miami VA Medical Center, and Department of Pathology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida, USA
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S103-7. 2001..Taken together, our findings suggest that Hypericum LI 160 can affect rapidly-acting as well as slower-developing, long-term biochemical mechanisms related to depressive disorders...
- Traumatic injury activates protein kinase B/Akt in cultured astrocytes: role of extracellular ATP and P2 purinergic receptorsJoseph T Neary
Research Service, VA Medical Center, Departments of Pathology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience Program, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
J Neurotrauma 22:491-500. 2005..This suggests that P2 receptor/Akt signaling promotes astrocyte survival and growth, and this process may play a role in the generation of reactive gliosis after TBI...
- P2 receptor signalling, proliferation of astrocytes, and expression of molecules involved in cell-cell interactionsJoseph T Neary
Research Service, Miami VA Medical Center, FL 33125, USA
Novartis Found Symp 276:131-43; discussion 143-7, 233-7, 275-81. 2006..These findings support the hypothesis that purinergic signalling via protein kinase cascades plays a key role in astrocyte proliferation, glia-glia connections, and neuron-glia interactions in both normal and pathological conditions...
- Purinergic signaling induces thrombospondin-1 expression in astrocytesMinh D Tran
Research Service, Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, FL 33125, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9321-6. 2006....
- A new in vitro model of the glial scar inhibits axon growthIna B Wanner
Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Glia 56:1691-709. 2008..c) 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- Purinergic receptor signaling regulates N-cadherin expression in primary astrocyte culturesMinh D Tran
Research Service, Miami VA Medical Center, Department of Pathology, The Neuroscience Program, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
J Neurochem 105:272-86. 2008..The findings presented here demonstrate a role for extracellular ATP, purinergic receptors and protein kinase signaling in regulating N-cadherin expression and suggest a role for this mechanism in cell-cell interactions...
- P2 purinergic receptors signal to glycogen synthase kinase-3beta in astrocytesJoseph T Neary
Research Service, Miami VA Healthcare System, Miami, Florida
J Neurosci Res 84:515-24. 2006..These findings suggest that purinergic signaling contributes to the regulation of GSK3beta functions, one of which may be the response of astrocytes to CNS injury on release of ATP...
- Bi-functional effects of ATP/P2 receptor activation on tumor necrosis factor-alpha release in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated astrocytesBrandon M Kucher
Research Service, Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1201 NW 16th Street, Miami, FL 33125, USA
J Neurochem 92:525-35. 2005....
- Trophic functions of nucleotides in the central nervous systemJoseph T Neary
Department of Pathology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33125, USA
Trends Neurosci 32:189-98. 2009..Here, we illuminate the contribution of extracellular nucleotides to the development, growth, cellular plasticity and death of neural cells and the mechanisms regulating these trophic effects...
- Induction of COX-2 and reactive gliosis by P2Y receptors in rat cortical astrocytes is dependent on ERK1/2 but independent of calcium signallingRoberta Brambilla
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan School of Pharmacy, Milan, Italy
J Neurochem 83:1285-96. 2002..Based on the involvement of cyclooxygenase-2 and inflammation in neurodegenerative diseases, these findings open up new avenues in the identification of novel biological targets for the pharmacological manipulation of neurodegeneration...
- Mechanisms of P2X7 receptor-mediated ERK1/2 phosphorylation in human astrocytoma cellsFernand Pierre Gendron
Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 284:C571-81. 2003..These results support the hypothesis that the P2X(7) receptor and its signaling pathways play a role in astrocyte-mediated inflammation and neurodegenerative disease...
- P2Y receptors activate neuroprotective mechanisms in astrocytic cellsNataliya E Chorna
Department of Chemistry, Rio Piedras Campus, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Neurochem 91:119-32. 2004..Taken together, our results suggest an important novel role for the P2Y2 receptor in survival and neuroprotective mechanisms under pathological conditions...
- P2X7 receptors stimulate AKT phosphorylation in astrocytesMaria C Jacques-Silva
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Br J Pharmacol 141:1106-17. 2004....
- P2X(7) receptors: properties and relevance to CNS functionShumin Duan
Institute of Neuroscience and Key Laboratory of Neurobiology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Glia 54:738-46. 2006....
- ATP regulates the differentiation of mammalian skeletal muscle by activation of a P2X5 receptor on satellite cellsMina Ryten
Autonomic Neuroscience Institute, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Royal Free Campus, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, U K
J Cell Biol 158:345-55. 2002..These results not only demonstrate the existence of a novel regulator of skeletal muscle differentiation, namely ATP, but also a new role for ionotropic P2X receptors in the control of cell fate...
- Regulation of Gliosis by Purinergic Receptor SignalingW Dalton Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, important advances in the understanding of the mechanisms underlying gliosis may provide new approaches to restore deficits in motor skills and cognitive functions caused by brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..