Fernando Gomez Pinilla
Affiliation: University of California
- Agrawal R, Tyagi E, Vergnes L, Reue K, Gomez Pinilla F. Coupling energy homeostasis with a mechanism to support plasticity in brain trauma. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1842:535-46 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results emphasize the interactive action of metabolic and plasticity signals for supporting neurological health. ..
- Agrawal R, Noble E, Tyagi E, Zhuang Y, Ying Z, Gomez Pinilla F. Flavonoid derivative 7,8-DHF attenuates TBI pathology via TrkB activation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1852:862-72 pubmed publisher..Since metabolic dysfunction is an important risk factor for the development of neurological and psychiatric disorders, these results set a precedent for the therapeutic use of 7,8-DHF in a larger context. ..
- Fernandes J, Arida R, Gomez Pinilla F. Physical exercise as an epigenetic modulator of brain plasticity and cognition. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;80:443-456 pubmed publisher..The understanding of how exercise promotes long-term cognitive effects is crucial for directing the power of exercise to reduce the burden of neurological and psychiatric disorders. ..
- Jiménez Maldonado A, Ying Z, Byun H, Gomez Pinilla F. Short-term fructose ingestion affects the brain independently from establishment of metabolic syndrome. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2018;1864:24-33 pubmed publisher..These results advocate that a short period of fructose can influence brain plasticity without a major peripheral metabolic dysfunction. ..
- Gomez Pinilla F, Vaynman S, Ying Z. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor functions as a metabotrophin to mediate the effects of exercise on cognition. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:2278-87 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the effects of exercise on synaptic plasticity and cognitive function involve elements of energy metabolism, and that BDNF seems to work at the interface between the two processes as a metabotrophin. ..
- Gomez Pinilla F, Zhuang Y, Feng J, Ying Z, Fan G. Exercise impacts brain-derived neurotrophic factor plasticity by engaging mechanisms of epigenetic regulation. Eur J Neurosci. 2011;33:383-90 pubmed publisher..Reported information about the impact of a behavior, inherently involved in the daily human routine, on the epigenome opens exciting new directions and therapeutic opportunities in the war against neurological and psychiatric disorders. ..
- Gomez Pinilla F, Ying Z, Roy R, Hodgson J, Edgerton V. Afferent input modulates neurotrophins and synaptic plasticity in the spinal cord. J Neurophysiol. 2004;92:3423-32 pubmed..Combined, these results indicate that the level of supraspinal and muscle afferent input plays an important role in modulating the levels of BDNF and NT-3 in the spinal cord. ..