Affiliation: University of California
- Foley J, Rand C, Bannasch M, Norris C, Milan J. Molecular epidemiology of feline bordetellosis in two animal shelters in California, USA. Prev Vet Med. 2002;54:141-56 pubmed..Greater percent resistance was observed in the traditional shelter than in the no-kill shelter and feline isolates were more likely to be resistant than canine isolates. ..
- Foley J, Kramer V, Weber D. Experimental infection of dusky-footed wood rats (Neotoma fuscipes) with Ehrlichia phagocytophila sensu lato. J Wildl Dis. 2002;38:194-8 pubmed..These data confirm that wood rats are susceptible to E. phagocytophila s.l., may develop prolonged infection without clinical ehrlichiosis, and may play a role in maintaining E. phagocytophila s.l. in nature. ..
- Foley J, Foley P, Jecker M, Swift P, Madigan J. Granulocytic ehrlichiosis and tick infestation in mountain lions in California. J Wildl Dis. 1999;35:703-9 pubmed..pacificus, surveillance for GE antibodies and DNA in mountain lions and other vertebrate hosts may be useful as indicators for geographical regions in which humans are at risk of GE infection. ..
- Foley J, Nieto N. The ecology of tick-transmitted infections in the redwood chipmunk (Tamias ochrogenys). Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2011;2:88-93 pubmed publisher..The biology of the redwood chipmunk has multiple features that allow it to be an important reservoir host for tick-borne disease in northwestern California. ..
- Foley J, Leutenegger C, Dumler J, Pedersen N, Madigan J. Evidence for modulated immune response to Anaplasma phagocytophila sensu lato in cats with FIV-induced immunosuppression. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2003;26:103-13 pubmed
- Foley J, Crawford Miksza L, Dumler J, Glaser C, Chae J, Yeh E, et al. Human granulocytic ehrlichiosis in Northern California: two case descriptions with genetic analysis of the Ehrlichiae. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:388-92 pubmed..Genetically, the strains resembled horse isolates from northern California. The close spatial and temporal proximity of the two new cases may be due to a nidus of infection in the area or heightened surveillance by local physicians. ..
- Foley J, Stephenson N, Cubilla M, Qurollo B, Breitschwerdt E. A putative marker for human pathogenic strains of Anaplasma phagocytophilum correlates with geography and host, but not human tropism. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2016;7:390-3 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic clades were associated with geography, but not host species. Additionally, a virulent clade that lacks drhm and infects dogs, horses, and humans in northeastern US was identified. ..
- Foley J, Hasty J, Lane R. Diversity of rickettsial pathogens in Columbian black-tailed deer and their associated keds (Diptera: Hippoboscidae) and ticks (Acari: Ixodidae). J Vector Ecol. 2016;41:41-7 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of Anaplasma spp. in a North America deer ked, and begs the question whether L. depressa may be a competent vector of Anaplasma spp. or merely acquire such bacteria while feeding on rickettsemic deer. ..
- Foley J, Queen E, Sacks B, Foley P. GIS-facilitated spatial epidemiology of tick-borne diseases in coyotes (Canis latrans) in northern and coastal California. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2005;28:197-212 pubmed..Ehrlichial seropositivity was increased in blue-oak foothill pine, montane hardwood, and redwood vegetation regions, and decreased in coastal sagebrush and cropland. Increased exposure to B. burgdorferi occurred in blue oak woodland...
- Foley J, Rand C, Leutenegger C. Inflammation and changes in cytokine levels in neurological feline infectious peritonitis. J Feline Med Surg. 2003;5:313-22 pubmed..A large component of the variance (91.7%) was accounted for by levels of IL-6, MIP-1 alpha, and RANTES. These findings provide new insight into the immunopathogenesis of FIP and suggest targets for immune therapy of this disease...
- Foley J, Branston T, Woods L, Clifford D. Severe ulceronecrotic dermatitis associated with mite infestation in the critically endangered Amargosa vole (Microtus californicus scirpensis). J Parasitol. 2013;99:595-8 pubmed publisher..The severity and prevalence of lesions due to this chigger were atypical and distinct. Severe clinical trombiculiasis in this endangered species could negatively impact individual health and fitness...
- Foley J, Nieto N, Clueit S, Foley P, Nicholson W, Brown R. Survey for zoonotic rickettsial pathogens in northern flying squirrels, Glaucomys sabrinus, in California. J Wildl Dis. 2007;43:684-9 pubmed..Fleas and ticks removed from the squirrels included Ceratophyllus ciliatus mononis, Opisodasys vesperalis, Ixodes hearlei, Ixodes pacificus, and Dermacentor paramapertus...
- Foley J, Nieto N, Madigan J, Sykes J. Possible differential host tropism in Anaplasma phagocytophilum strains in the Western United States. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1149:94-7 pubmed publisher..phagocytophilum strains and further research to understand the host-pathogen interactions that result in differential outcomes in infection...
- Stephenson N, Foley J. Parallelisms and Contrasts in the Diverse Ecologies of the Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Borrelia burgdorferi Complexes of Bacteria in the Far Western United States. Vet Sci. 2016;3: pubmed publisher..Such tight host-vector-pathogen coupling could also facilitate high enzootic prevalence and the evolution of host immune-tolerance and bacterial avirulence. ..