David R Boulware
Affiliation: University of Minnesota
- Boulware D, Meya D, Bergemann T, Wiesner D, Rhein J, Musubire A, et al. Clinical features and serum biomarkers in HIV immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome after cryptococcal meningitis: a prospective cohort study. PLoS Med. 2010;7:e1000384 pubmed publisher..Although requiring validation, these biomarkers might be an objective tool to stratify the risk of CM-IRIS and death, and could be used clinically to guide when to start ART or use prophylactic interventions. ..
- Dyal J, Akampurira A, Rhein J, Morawski B, Kiggundu R, Nabeta H, et al. Reproducibility of CSF quantitative culture methods for estimating rate of clearance in cryptococcal meningitis. Med Mycol. 2016;54:361-9 pubmed publisher..14) on a group level; however, individual-level clearance varied. The St. George and ACTG quantitative CSF culture methods produced comparable but not identical results. Quantitative cultures can inform treatment management strategies. ..
- Montgomery M, Nakasujja N, Morawski B, Rajasingham R, Rhein J, Nalintya E, et al. Neurocognitive function in HIV-infected persons with asymptomatic cryptococcal antigenemia: a comparison of three prospective cohorts. BMC Neurol. 2017;17:110 pubmed publisher..Neurocognitive function in this group improves over time after initiation of pre-emptive fluconazole treatment and ART, but short term adherence support may be necessary. ..
- Meya D, Okurut S, Zziwa G, Cose S, Bohjanen P, Mayanja Kizza H, et al. Monocyte Phenotype and IFN-?-Inducible Cytokine Responses Are Associated with Cryptococcal Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome. J Fungi (Basel). 2017;3: pubmed publisher..Larger studies to further delineate innate immunological responses and the efficacy of immunomodulatory therapies during cryptococcal IRIS are warranted. ..
- Boulware D, Stauffer W, Hendel Paterson B, Rocha J, Seet R, Summer A, et al. Maltreatment of Strongyloides infection: case series and worldwide physicians-in-training survey. Am J Med. 2007;120:545.e1-8 pubmed..US residents' helminth knowledge is limited and places immigrants in iatrogenic danger. Information about Strongyloides should be included in US training and continuing medical education programs. ..
- Boulware D. A randomized, controlled field trial for the prevention of jellyfish stings with a topical sting inhibitor. J Travel Med. 2006;13:166-71 pubmed..The field effectiveness is unknown. The objective is to evaluate the field efficacy of the jellyfish sting inhibitor, Safe Sea...
- Boulware D, Daley C, Merrifield C, Hopewell P, Janoff E. Rapid diagnosis of pneumococcal pneumonia among HIV-infected adults with urine antigen detection. J Infect. 2007;55:300-9 pubmed..Streptococcus pneumoniae is the leading cause of bacterial pneumonia and associated bacteremia during HIV infection. Rapid diagnostic assays may limit inappropriate therapy...
- Boulware D, Bonham S, Meya D, Wiesner D, Park G, Kambugu A, et al. Paucity of initial cerebrospinal fluid inflammation in cryptococcal meningitis is associated with subsequent immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome. J Infect Dis. 2010;202:962-70 pubmed publisher..The inflammatory CSF cytokine profiles observed at time of IRIS can distinguish IRIS from CM relapse. ..
- Bahr N, Nuwagira E, Evans E, Cresswell F, Bystrom P, Byamukama A, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra for tuberculous meningitis in HIV-infected adults: a prospective cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018;18:68-75 pubmed publisher....