Michael A Becker
Affiliation: University of Chicago
- Becker M, Schumacher H, Wortmann R, MacDonald P, Eustace D, Palo W, et al. Febuxostat compared with allopurinol in patients with hyperuricemia and gout. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2450-61 pubmed..Similar reductions in gout flares and tophus area occurred in all treatment groups. ..
- Becker M, Schumacher H, MacDonald P, Lloyd E, Lademacher C. Clinical efficacy and safety of successful longterm urate lowering with febuxostat or allopurinol in subjects with gout. J Rheumatol. 2009;36:1273-82 pubmed publisher..Durable maintenance of goal range SUA level with either dose of febuxostat or in smaller numbers of subjects with allopurinol resulted in near elimination of gout flares and improved tophus status over time. Registered as NCT00175019. ..
- Becker M, MacDonald P, Hunt B, Lademacher C, Joseph Ridge N. Determinants of the clinical outcomes of gout during the first year of urate-lowering therapy. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2008;27:585-91 pubmed publisher..The complex relationship between urate-lowering and clinical outcome early in treatment has implications for both clinical and investigative approaches to urate-lowering management. ..
- Becker M, Schumacher H, Espinoza L, Wells A, MacDonald P, Lloyd E, et al. The urate-lowering efficacy and safety of febuxostat in the treatment of the hyperuricemia of gout: the CONFIRMS trial. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R63 pubmed publisher..In subjects with mild/moderate renal impairment, both febuxostat doses were more efficacious than allopurinol and equally safe. At the doses tested, safety of febuxostat and allopurinol was comparable. NCT00430248. ..
- Furie R, Stohl W, Ginzler E, Becker M, Mishra N, Chatham W, et al. Biologic activity and safety of belimumab, a neutralizing anti-B-lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) monoclonal antibody: a phase I trial in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008;10:R109 pubmed publisher..0305). SLE disease activity did not change after one or two doses of belimumab. Belimumab was well tolerated and reduced peripheral B-cell levels in SLE patients. These data support further studies of belimumab in autoimmune disorders. ..
- Becker M, Baraf H, Yood R, Dillon A, Vazquez Mellado J, Ottery F, et al. Long-term safety of pegloticase in chronic gout refractory to conventional treatment. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:1469-74 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the long-term safety (up to 3 years) of treatment with pegloticase in patients with refractory chronic gout...