Affiliation: The University of Texas
- Kantarjian H, Padmanabhan S, Stock W, Tallman M, Curt G, Li J, et al. Phase I/II multicenter study to assess the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of AZD4877 in patients with refractory acute myeloid leukemia. Invest New Drugs. 2012;30:1107-15 pubmed publisher..Evidence of monoasters in all but the 4 mg/day dose group provided proof of mechanism for AZD4877. This study was terminated due to lack of efficacy. (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00486265). ..
- Kantarjian H, Talpaz M, Santini V, Murgo A, Cheson B, O Brien S. Homoharringtonine: history, current research, and future direction. Cancer. 2001;92:1591-605 pubmed..HHT and its derivatives appear to have promising activity in hematologic malignancies, a finding that needs to be pursued. ..
- Kantarjian H, Gandhi V, Kozuch P, Faderl S, Giles F, Cortes J, et al. Phase I clinical and pharmacology study of clofarabine in patients with solid and hematologic cancers. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:1167-73 pubmed..Encouraging activity was observed in acute leukemia. ..
- Kantarjian H, Cortes J. New strategies in chronic myeloid leukemia. Int J Hematol. 2006;83:289-93 pubmed..Further clinical trials are needed to characterize the efficacy and safety profile of these new agents and to determine which agents improve the long-term prognosis for patients with CML who have shown resistance to imatinib. ..
- Kantarjian H, Cortes J, Kim D, Dorlhiac Llacer P, Pasquini R, Dipersio J, et al. Phase 3 study of dasatinib 140 mg once daily versus 70 mg twice daily in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in accelerated phase resistant or intolerant to imatinib: 15-month median follow-up. Blood. 2009;113:6322-9 pubmed publisher..001). These results demonstrate that dasatinib 140 mg once daily has similar efficacy to dasatinib 70 mg twice daily but with an improved safety profile. This trial is registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #CA180-035. ..
- Kantarjian H, Giles F, Greenberg P, Paquette R, Wang E, Gabrilove J, et al. Phase 2 study of romiplostim in patients with low- or intermediate-risk myelodysplastic syndrome receiving azacitidine therapy. Blood. 2010;116:3163-70 pubmed publisher..0035) compared with placebo. Grade 3 rash and arthralgia each were reported in 1 romiplostim-treated patient (4%). This study suggests romiplostim may provide clinical benefits in MDS patients during azacitidine therapy. ..
- Kantarjian H, Garcia Manero G, O Brien S, Faderl S, Ravandi F, Westwood R, et al. Phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study of oral sapacitabine in patients with acute leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:285-91 pubmed publisher..Sapacitabine is a new, safely administered, oral deoxycytidine analog that has encouraging activity in leukemia and MDS. Phase II studies are ongoing. ..
- Kantarjian H, Fenaux P, Sekeres M, Becker P, Boruchov A, Bowen D, et al. Safety and efficacy of romiplostim in patients with lower-risk myelodysplastic syndrome and thrombocytopenia. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:437-44 pubmed publisher..No neutralizing antibodies to either romiplostim or endogenous thrombopoietin were seen. Romiplostim appeared well-tolerated in this study and may be a useful treatment for patients with MDS and thrombocytopenia. ..
- Kantarjian H, Erba H, Claxton D, Arellano M, Lyons R, Kovascovics T, et al. Phase II study of clofarabine monotherapy in previously untreated older adults with acute myeloid leukemia and unfavorable prognostic factors. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:549-55 pubmed publisher..ORR did not seem affected by the presence of multiple unfavorable prognostic factors. ..
- Kantarjian H, Shah N, Hochhaus A, Cortes J, Shah S, Ayala M, et al. Dasatinib versus imatinib in newly diagnosed chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:2260-70 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00481247.) ..
- Kantarjian H, Thomas X, Dmoszynska A, Wierzbowska A, Mazur G, Mayer J, et al. Multicenter, randomized, open-label, phase III trial of decitabine versus patient choice, with physician advice, of either supportive care or low-dose cytarabine for the treatment of older patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:2670-7 pubmed publisher..An unplanned survival analysis showed a benefit for decitabine, which was not observed at the time of the primary analysis. ..
- Kantarjian H, Ravandi F, O Brien S, Cortes J, Faderl S, Garcia Manero G, et al. Intensive chemotherapy does not benefit most older patients (age 70 years or older) with acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2010;116:4422-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, the prognosis of most patients (72%) ? 70 years of age with AML is poor with intensive chemotherapy (8-week mortality ? 30%; median survival < 6 months). ..
- Kantarjian H, Gandhi V, Cortes J, Verstovsek S, Du M, Garcia Manero G, et al. Phase 2 clinical and pharmacologic study of clofarabine in patients with refractory or relapsed acute leukemia. Blood. 2003;102:2379-86 pubmed..03). This increased only in responders (median, 1.8-fold; P =.008) after the second clofarabine infusion. In summary, clofarabine is active in acute leukemias and MDS; cellular pharmacokinetics may have prognostic significance. ..
- Kantarjian H, Hochhaus A, Saglio G, De Souza C, Flinn I, Stenke L, et al. Nilotinib versus imatinib for the treatment of patients with newly diagnosed chronic phase, Philadelphia chromosome-positive, chronic myeloid leukaemia: 24-month minimum follow-up of the phase 3 randomised ENESTnd trial. Lancet Oncol. 2011;12:841-51 pubmed publisher..We present data from the Evaluating Nilotinib Efficacy and Safety in clinical Trials-newly diagnosed patients (ENESTnd) study after a minimum follow-up of 24 months...
- Kantarjian H, Shan J, Jones D, O Brien S, Rios M, Jabbour E, et al. Significance of increasing levels of minimal residual disease in patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive chronic myelogenous leukemia in complete cytogenetic response. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:3659-63 pubmed publisher..The clinical significance of increasing levels of QPCR in patients in CGCR is uncertain...
- Kantarjian H. Adult acute lymphocytic leukemia. Future research directions. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2001;15:207-11, viii pubmed..This new research includes dose intensive anthracyclines, novel agents, STI571 for Philadelphia chromosome-positive ALL, and risk-oriented strategies...
- Kantarjian H. Adult acute lymphocytic leukemia. Introduction and questions related to current programs. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2000;14:1205-8, VII pubmed..This article lists some of the questions related to the current treatment programs for ALL and notes the remaining articles in this issue that address those questions...