Affiliation: State University of New York Buffalo State
Location: Buffalo, USA
Sociological theory, social psychology, culture studies, public health, mental health, suicide
- Sun L, Li H, Zhang J, Wu Q. Psychological strains and suicide intent: Results from a psychological autopsy study with Chinese rural young suicides. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2015;61:677-83 pubmed publisher..The study further supports that suicide intent can be predicted by psychological strains in Chinese rural young suicides. The scanning of psychological strains can be used for suicide prevention in Chinese rural young suicides. ..
- Lyu J, Shi H, Wang S, Zhang J. The effect of community stress and problems on psychopathology: A structural equation modeling study. Compr Psychiatry. 2016;65:24-31 pubmed publisher..It might be an effective route to prevent depression directly and suicidal behaviors indirectly by reducing the community stress and problems. ..
- Sun L, Zhang J. Gender differences among medically serious suicide attempters aged 15-54 years in rural China. Psychiatry Res. 2017;252:57-62 pubmed publisher..Compared with male suicide attempters, female ones are mainly influenced by social factors. A gender-specific approach should be emphasized in suicide prevention. ..
- Liu Y, Zhang J, Sun L, Zhao S. The age-specific characteristics of medically serious suicide attempters aged 15-45 years in rural China. Psychiatry Res. 2018;261:178-185 pubmed publisher..These results highlight age-specific intervention strategies in addressing suicide. ..
- Sun L, Zhang J. Characteristics of Chinese rural young suicides: who did not have a strong intent to die. Compr Psychiatry. 2015;57:73-8 pubmed publisher..Findings of the study may be translated into practical measures in suicide prevention in China as well as elsewhere in the world. ..
- Zhang J, Liu Y, Sun L. Psychological strain and suicidal ideation: A comparison between Chinese and US college students. Psychiatry Res. 2017;255:256-262 pubmed publisher..However, future work could extend these findings by utilizing a longitudinal design to determine whether psychological strains are in fact antecedents, and not simply correlates, of suicide ideation. ..
- Liu Y, Zhang J, Sun L. Who are likely to attempt suicide again? A comparative study between the first and multiple timers. Compr Psychiatry. 2017;78:54-60 pubmed publisher..Social and clinical interventions may have to also focus on this sub-group of patients with these characteristics to effectively reduce suicide mortality rate. ..
- Zhang J, Liu Y, Sun L. Life satisfaction and degree of suicide intent: A test of the strain theory of suicide. Compr Psychiatry. 2017;74:1-8 pubmed publisher..The findings from the suicide attempt data in rural China support the Strain Theory of Suicide. ..
- Zhang J, Lamis D, Yuanyuan K. Measuring Chinese psychological traits and social support with Western developed instruments in psychological autopsy studies. J Clin Psychol. 2012;68:1313-21 pubmed publisher..These findings may have important implications for the development and enhancement of more effective suicide prevention strategies in China. ..
- Zhang J, Ma Z. Patterns of life events preceding the suicide in rural young Chinese: a case control study. J Affect Disord. 2012;140:161-7 pubmed publisher..Family is an important social institution in rural China for suicide prevention efforts. ..