M J Roossinck
Affiliation: Plant Biology Division
- Roossinck M. The good viruses: viral mutualistic symbioses. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2011;9:99-108 pubmed publisher..How these beneficial interactions evolve is still a mystery in many cases but, as discussed in this Review, the mechanisms of these interactions are beginning to be understood in more detail. ..
- Roossinck M, Zhang L, Hellwald K. Rearrangements in the 5' nontranslated region and phylogenetic analyses of cucumber mosaic virus RNA 3 indicate radial evolution of three subgroups. J Virol. 1999;73:6752-8 pubmed..In addition, strains within each subgroup radiate from a single point of origin, indicating that they have evolved from a single common ancestor for each subgroup. ..
- Roossinck M. Evolutionary history of Cucumber mosaic virus deduced by phylogenetic analyses. J Virol. 2002;76:3382-7 pubmed..This indicates that functions other than replication are encoded in the 3' NTR. Reassortment may have led to the genetic diversity found among CMV strains and contributed to its enormous evolutionary success...
- Roossinck M. Symbiosis versus competition in plant virus evolution. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2005;3:917-24 pubmed..In viruses, symbiogenesis results in genomic reassortment or recombination events among disparate species. These are most noticeable by phylogenetic comparisons of extant viruses from different taxonomic groups. ..
- Roossinck M. The big unknown: plant virus biodiversity. Curr Opin Virol. 2011;1:63-7 pubmed publisher..These obstacles are being overcome in clever ways. Understanding what exists in our natural environment will help us to tackle big issues in agriculture, such as disease emergence and the use of beneficial viruses and other microbes...