Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- Lukiw W, Alexandrov P, Zhao Y, Hill J, Bhattacharjee S. Spreading of Alzheimer's disease inflammatory signaling through soluble micro-RNA. Neuroreport. 2012;23:621-6 pubmed publisher..These effects were neutralized using anti-miRNA strategies. Anti-miRNA-based therapeutics may provide a novel and efficacious treatment to stem the miRNA-mediated spreading of inflammatory signaling involved in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Lukiw W, Mukherjee P, Cui J, Bazan N. A2E selectively induces cox-2 in ARPE-19 and human neural cells. Curr Eye Res. 2006;31:259-63 pubmed..Stress-induced upregulation of COX-2 gene expression in ARPE-19 and HN cells may play a mechanistic role in promoting proinflammatory and/or pro-oxidative pathology in these tissues. ..
- Pogue A, Lukiw W. Up-regulated Pro-inflammatory MicroRNAs (miRNAs) in Alzheimer's disease (AD) and Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD). Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2018;38:1021-1031 pubmed publisher..5% of the genome) involved in the synchronization of amyloid production and clearance, phagocytosis, innate-immune, pro-inflammatory, and neurotrophic signaling and/or synaptogenesis in diseased tissues. ..
- Zhao Y, Alexandrov P, Jaber V, Lukiw W. Deficiency in the Ubiquitin Conjugating Enzyme UBE2A in Alzheimer's Disease (AD) is Linked to Deficits in a Natural Circular miRNA-7 Sponge (circRNA; ciRS-7). Genes (Basel). 2016;7: pubmed..Dysfunction of circRNA-miRNA-mRNA regulatory systems appears to represent another important layer of epigenetic control over pathogenic gene expression programs in the human CNS that are targeted by the sporadic AD process. ..
- Alexandrov P, Percy M, Lukiw W. Chromosome 21-Encoded microRNAs (mRNAs): Impact on Down's Syndrome and Trisomy-21 Linked Disease. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2018;38:769-774 pubmed publisher..1-chr21q21.3 region. ..