Affiliation: Columbia University
- Kerk S, Kratsios P, Hart M, Mourao R, Hobert O. Diversification of C. elegans Motor Neuron Identity via Selective Effector Gene Repression. Neuron. 2017;93:80-98 pubmed publisher..The strategy of antagonizing the activity of broadly acting terminal selectors of neuron identity in a subtype-specific fashion may constitute a general principle of neuron subtype diversification. ..
- Serrano Saiz E, Oren Suissa M, Bayer E, Hobert O. Sexually Dimorphic Differentiation of a C. elegans Hub Neuron Is Cell Autonomously Controlled by a Conserved Transcription Factor. Curr Biol. 2017;27:199-209 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies provide mechanistic insights into how neurons are specified in a sexually dimorphic manner. ..
- Howell K, Hobert O. Morphological Diversity of C. elegans Sensory Cilia Instructed by the Differential Expression of an Immunoglobulin Domain Protein. Curr Biol. 2017;27:1782-1790.e5 pubmed publisher..Levels of OIG-8 expression are controlled by the specific combination of a terminal selector type of transcription factors that also specify other identity features of distinct olfactory neuron types. ..
- Weinberg P, Berkseth M, Zarkower D, Hobert O. Sexually Dimorphic unc-6/Netrin Expression Controls Sex-Specific Maintenance of Synaptic Connectivity. Curr Biol. 2018;28:623-629.e3 pubmed publisher..Taken together, intersectional transcriptional regulationÂ ofÂ unc-6/Netrin is required and sufficient to cellÂ autonomously pattern sexually dimorphic synapses. ..
- Kratsios P, Pinan LucarrÃ© B, Kerk S, Weinreb A, Bessereau J, Hobert O. Transcriptional coordination of synaptogenesis and neurotransmitter signaling. Curr Biol. 2015;25:1282-95 pubmed publisher..Our study shows how synaptogenesis and distinct, function-defining signaling features of a postmitotic neuron are hardwired together through coordinated transcriptional control. ..
- Gordon P, Hobert O. A competition mechanism for a homeotic neuron identity transformation in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2015;34:206-19 pubmed publisher..Homeotic control of neuronal identity programs has implications for the evolution of neuronal cell types. ..
- Vogt M, Hobert O. Olfactory Imprinting: A Worm's Memory of Things Past. Curr Biol. 2017;27:R1108-R1110 pubmed publisher..A new study in Caenorhabditis elegans demonstrates that changes in neuronal activity of one synaptic connection following early-life pheromone exposure are sufficient to permanently enhance specific avoidance responses...
- Hobert O, Glenwinkel L, White J. Revisiting Neuronal Cell Type Classification in Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr Biol. 2016;26:R1197-R1203 pubmed publisher..elegans nervous system. Neuron classification in C. elegans may be paradigmatic for neuron classification schemes in vertebrate nervous systems. ..
- Murgan S, Kari W, RothbÃ¤cher U, IchÃ© Torres M, MÃ©lÃ©nec P, Hobert O, et al. Atypical Transcriptional Activation by TCF via a Zic Transcription Factor in C.Â elegans Neuronal Precursors. Dev Cell. 2015;33:737-45 pubmed publisher..This mechanism is later reinforced by specific bHLH factors. This study reveals an atypical mode of action for TCF that may apply to other binary decisions mediated by Wnt signaling. ..
- Hobert O, Westphal H. Functions of LIM-homeobox genes. Trends Genet. 2000;16:75-83 pubmed..Here, we summarize the recent findings on LIM-homeobox gene function, compare the function of these genes from different organisms and describe specific co-factor requirements. ..