Richard A Prayson
Affiliation: Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Prayson R, Gales J. Coexistent ganglioglioma, focal cortical dysplasia, and hippocampal sclerosis (triple pathology) in chronic epilepsy. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2015;19:310-3 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of triple pathology including hippocampal sclerosis is low (<1% in the current study). Surgical intervention for triple pathology cases anecdotally appears effective in achieving seizure control. ..
- Kissiedu J, Prayson R. Congenital fiber type disproportion. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;26:136-7 pubmed publisher..The lack of specific clinical and genetic disorder associated with CFTD suggests that it is a spectrum of a disease process and represents a diagnosis of exclusion. ..
- Lang M, Prayson R. Tuberous sclerosis complex coexistent with hippocampal sclerosis. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;24:28-9 pubmed publisher..Although hippocampal sclerosis is well documented to be associated with coexistent focal cortical dysplasia, the specific co-existence of cortical tubers and hippocampal sclerosis appears to be rare. ..
- Chesser J, Friedman N, Prayson R. Congenital glioneuronal tumor with neuropil-like islands. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;24:156-7 pubmed publisher..There have been few reports of this tumor arising in children, with most of those developing in the spinal cord. To our knowledge, this is the first reported congenital case of this tumor described in the literature. ..
- Basali D, Prayson R. Episodic weakness and vacuolar myopathy in hypokalemic periodic paralysis. J Clin Neurosci. 2015;22:1846-7 pubmed publisher..Other metabolic etiologies of vacuolar myopathy, such as acid phosphatase (lysosomal) associated acid maltase deficiency (a glycogen storage disease), need to be considered in the differential diagnosis. ..
- ..No gross or microscopic evidence of systemic vasculitis or infection was identified in the body. The literature on optic nerve Aspergillosis is reviewed. ..
- Rowe J, Prayson R. Metastatic malignant phyllodes tumor involving the cerebellum. J Clin Neurosci. 2015;22:226-7 pubmed publisher..The literature is briefly reviewed and the differential diagnosis of malignant spindle cell brain tumors is discussed. ..
- Gershen L, Prayson B, Prayson R. Pathological characteristics of glycogen storage disease III in skeletal muscle. J Clin Neurosci. 2015;22:1674-5 pubmed publisher..We review the typical clinical presentation of patients with glycogenosis III and discuss the differential diagnoses of glycogenosis III versus the other glycogenoses resulting in vacuolar myopathy. ..
- Prayson R. Immunoglobulin G4-related ophthalmic disease presenting as uveitis. J Clin Neurosci. 2015;22:1848-9 pubmed publisher..It is important to recognize IgG4-related ophthalmic disease because the condition appears to put patients at increased risk of developing lymphoma. ..
- Doxtader E, Mukhopadhyay S, Prayson R. Solitary lung metastasis from intracranial hemangiopericytoma 18 years after initial resection. J Clin Neurosci. 2015;22:1210-2 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, this is the longest reported interval between a resected intracranial hemangiopericytoma and a histologically confirmed solitary metastasis to the lung. ..
- Kissiedu J, Prayson R. Sellar gangliocytoma with adrenocorticotropic and prolactin adenoma. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;24:141-2 pubmed publisher..Adequate sampling and immunohistochemistry are important in rendering a correct diagnosis and in identifying the hormone status of mixed adenoma-gangliocytomas. ..
- Reyes D, Prayson R. Glioblastoma in the setting of tuberous sclerosis. J Clin Neurosci. 2015;22:907-8 pubmed publisher..Presentation appears to depend on where the tumor is situated; locations have been variable in previous reports. For those cases in which survival data were included, the prognosis is poor. ..
- Prayson R. Metastatic chromophobe renal cell carcinoma to the brain. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;26:152-3 pubmed publisher..When they metastasize, they most commonly involve the liver, lung and lymph nodes, in contrast to the more common clear cell carcinomas that typically spread to the lungs, bone and brain. ..
- Gales J, Jehi L, Nowacki A, Prayson R. The role of histopathologic subtype in the setting of hippocampal sclerosis-associated mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Hum Pathol. 2017;63:79-88 pubmed publisher..FCD is often observed in association with HS in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy; the finding of FCD was associated with better postoperative outcomes. ..
- Prayson R. Intravascular lymphoma mimicking vasculitis. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;34:224-225 pubmed publisher..He continued to develop signs suggestive of ongoing infarct development and a biopsy from the right parietal was taken. The biopsy showed atypical intravascular CD20 positive staining B cells, consistent with intravascular lymphoma. ..
- Guraya S, Prayson R. Metastatic prostatic adenocarcinoma with neuroendocrine differentiation to meningioma. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;34:30-32 pubmed publisher..The report reviews current theories as to why meningiomas are the most common host tumor for tumor-to-tumor metastases in the brain and reviews the literature on previously reported cases involving metastatic prostatic adenocarcinoma. ..
- Moore L, Erstine E, Prayson R. Pituitary aspergillus infection. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;29:178-80 pubmed publisher..A transsphenoidal surgical approach is recommended in suspected cases in order to minimize the risk of dissemination of the infection. Some patients have responded well to antifungal medications once diagnosed. ..
- Gales J, Prayson R. Hippocampal sclerosis and associated focal cortical dysplasia-related epilepsy in neurofibromatosis type I. J Clin Neurosci. 2017;37:15-19 pubmed publisher..Although prior surgical series have shown good epilepsy surgery outcomes within neurofibromatosis type I, these two cases did not. ..
- Prayson R. Hyaline Protoplasmic Astrocytopathy: ?A Clinicopathologic Study. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016;146:503-9 pubmed publisher..The current series supports an association of Aicardi syndrome (21% of cases) and focal cortical dysplasia (100% of cases) and hyaline protoplasmic astrocytopathy. ..
- Prayson R, Bierer S, Dannefer E. Medical student resilience strategies: A content analysis of medical students' portfolios. Perspect Med Educ. 2017;6:29-35 pubmed publisher..6%) more frequently than year 1 (53.1%) and year 2 (59.2%) portfolios. The results suggest that medical students can identify stressors and articulate resilience strategies that can be employed to potentially address them. ..
- Prayson R. Lipomatous supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumor with glioblastomatous differentiation. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2009;13:36-40 pubmed publisher..The glioblastomatous component of the tumor demonstrated glial fibrillary acidic protein immunoreactivity. A Ki-67 labeling index of 18.9% was noted in the initial resection. The literature on similar-appearing lesions is reviewed. ..
- Wilberger A, Prayson R. Intracranial Involvement by Plasma Cell Neoplasms. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016;146:156-62 pubmed publisher..PCNs rarely arise in the intracranial compartment. Intracranial PCN may be the initial presentation of MM. Anecdotally, blastic morphology appears to manifest more aggressive behavior. ..
- Prayson R. Biopsy proven pituitary sarcoidosis presenting as a possible adenoma. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;34:217-218 pubmed publisher..Achieving treatment control in patients with pituitary and hypothalamic improvement in sarcoidosis still remains a challenge. ..
- Guraya S, Prayson R. Peripheral nerve sheath tumors arising in salivary glands: A clinicopathologic study. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2016;23:38-42 pubmed publisher..The most common tumor type in the current series was neurofibroma; most arose in the background of neurofibromatosis type I and all of which recurred after initial subtotal resection. Most PNST arose in the parotid gland. ..
- Prayson R. Hyaline protoplasmic astrocytopathy in the setting of tuberous sclerosis. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;31:35-6 pubmed publisher..At the time of most recent follow-up, 93months postoperatively, he is still experiencing seizures with overall worthwhile improvement while on seizure medication. ..
- Koffman L, Prayson R, Manno E. Malignant cerebral edema related to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. J Neurol Sci. 2016;364:180-2 pubmed publisher..Because this syndrome causes a fulminant cerebral edema, further research is needed to better understand the underlying pathology and identify potential treatment options. ..
- Prayson R, O Toole E. Coexistent arteriovenous malformation and hippocampal sclerosis. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;28:180-2 pubmed publisher..The hippocampus was marked by prominent neuronal loss and gliosis in the CA1 region, consistent with CA1 sclerosis or hippocampal sclerosis International League Against Epilepsy type 2. ..
- Gales J, Prayson R. Remote infarct of the temporal lobe with coexistent hippocampal sclerosis in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Hum Pathol. 2016;48:111-6 pubmed publisher..Surgical intervention for such cases anecdotally appears effective in achieving seizure control. ..
- Thiruvengadam S, Prayson R. Multiple myeloma presenting with unilateral abducens and trigeminal nerve palsies. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;26:143-4 pubmed publisher..Bone marrow biopsy and serum laboratory results confirmed the diagnosis of kappa-type multiple myeloma. Although rare, multiple myeloma may initially present with petrous involvement and associated cranial nerve deficits. ..
- Sivaraman I, Friedman N, Prayson R. Muscle biopsy findings in a child with NALCN gene mutation. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;34:222-223 pubmed publisher..The biochemical and muscle biopsy findings are suggestive of a possible mitochondrial bioenergetic dysfunction. The association of NALCN gene with secondary mitochondrial dysfunction remains unclear. ..
- Prayson R, Yoder B, Barnett G. Epidermal growth factor receptor is not amplified in schwannomas. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2007;11:326-9 pubmed
- Gawelek K, Gales J, Prayson R. Hamartia in hippocampal sclerosis-associated mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2018;32:63-66 pubmed publisher..Hamartia are a common concomitant finding in HS and indicates evidence of aberrant cell migration in the hippocampal and parahippocampal regions in these patients. ..
- Gales J, Prayson R. Chronic inflammation in refractory hippocampal sclerosis-related temporal lobe epilepsy. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2017;30:12-16 pubmed publisher..The study findings suggest chronic inflammation may be a more common component of hippocampal sclerosis -associated temporal lobe epilepsy than previously believed. ..
- Prayson R, Chamberlain W, Angelov L. Clear cell meningioma: a clinicopathologic study of 18 tumors and examination of the use of CD10, CA9, and RCC antibodies to distinguish between clear cell meningioma and metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2010;18:422-8 pubmed publisher
- Prayson R, Napekoski K. Composite ganglioglioma/dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor: a clinicopathologic study of 8 cases. Hum Pathol. 2012;43:1113-8 pubmed publisher..Histologically, these multinodular tumors appear to maintain distinct areas with features of each tumor and foci where the 2 patterns are merged. A subset of composite tumors are associated with adjacent focal cortical dysplasia...