Nicole F Steinmetz
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Bruckman M, Czapar A, Vanmeter A, Randolph L, Steinmetz N. Tobacco mosaic virus-based protein nanoparticles and nanorods for chemotherapy delivery targeting breast cancer. J Control Release. 2016;231:103-13 pubmed publisher..Finally, we developed TMV and SNP formulations loaded with the chemotherapeutic doxorubicin, and we demonstrate the application of TMV rods and spheres for chemotherapy delivery targeting breast cancer. ..
- Bruckman M, Randolph L, Vanmeter A, Hern S, Shoffstall A, Taurog R, et al. Biodistribution, pharmacokinetics, and blood compatibility of native and PEGylated tobacco mosaic virus nano-rods and -spheres in mice. Virology. 2014;449:163-73 pubmed publisher..Further, blood biocompatibility was supported, as none of the formulations induced clotting or hemolysis. This work lays the foundation for further application and tailoring of TMV for biomedical applications. ..
- Pitek A, Jameson S, Veliz F, Shukla S, Steinmetz N. Serum albumin 'camouflage' of plant virus based nanoparticles prevents their antibody recognition and enhances pharmacokinetics. Biomaterials. 2016;89:89-97 pubmed publisher..Therefore, SA-coatings may provide an alternative and improved coating technique to yield (plant virus-based) NPs with improved inÂ vivo properties enhancing drug delivery and molecular imaging. ..
- Czapar A, Steinmetz N. Plant viruses and bacteriophages for drug delivery in medicine and biotechnology. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2017;38:108-116 pubmed publisher..Key target areas of development are their use in chemotherapy, photodynamic therapy, pesticide-delivery, gene therapy, vaccine carriers, and immunotherapy. ..
- Le D, Hu H, Commandeur U, Steinmetz N. Chemical addressability of potato virus X for its applications in bio/nanotechnology. J Struct Biol. 2017;200:360-368 pubmed publisher..These results further extend the understanding of the chemical properties of PVX and enable development of novel multifunctional platforms in bio/nanotechnology. ..