Chao Qiang Lai
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Lai C, Tucker K, Choudhry S, Parnell L, Mattei J, Garcia Bailo B, et al. Population admixture associated with disease prevalence in the Boston Puerto Rican health study. Hum Genet. 2009;125:199-209 pubmed publisher....
- Lai C, Tucker K, Parnell L, Adiconis X, Garcia Bailo B, Griffith J, et al. PPARGC1A variation associated with DNA damage, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases: the Boston Puerto Rican Health Study. Diabetes. 2008;57:809-16 pubmed..Increasing physical activity, which induces PPARGC1A expression, is a potential strategy to slow DNA damage, thereby decreasing the risk of CVD for individuals with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Lai C, Parnell L, Arnett D, GarcÃa Bailo B, Tsai M, Kabagambe E, et al. WDTC1, the ortholog of Drosophila adipose gene, associates with human obesity, modulated by MUFA intake. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009;17:593-600 pubmed publisher..Given the high frequency of the major alleles in both populations, we suggest that WDTC1 variation may be an important risk factor contributing to obesity in these populations. ..
- Lai C, Parnell L, Troen A, Shen J, Caouette H, Warodomwichit D, et al. MAT1A variants are associated with hypertension, stroke, and markers of DNA damage and are modulated by plasma vitamin B-6 and folate. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91:1377-86 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that impairments in methylation activity, independent of homocysteine, have an effect on CVD risk. ..
- Lai C, Wojczynski M, Parnell L, Hidalgo B, Irvin M, Aslibekyan S, et al. Epigenome-wide association study of triglyceride postprandial responses to a high-fat dietary challenge. J Lipid Res. 2016;57:2200-2207 pubmed..5%). In summary, the epigenome is a large contributor to the variation in PPL, and this has the potential to be used to modulate PPL and reduce CVD. ..