Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Cambridge
- Vallier L, Touboul T, Brown S, Cho C, Bilican B, Alexander M, et al. Signaling pathways controlling pluripotency and early cell fate decisions of human induced pluripotent stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:2655-66 pubmed publisher..Together these data reveal that human iPSCs rely on mechanisms similar to human ESCs to maintain their pluripotency and to control their differentiation, showing that these pluripotent cell types are functionally equivalent. ..
- El Khairi R, Vallier L. The role of hepatocyte nuclear factor 1? in disease and development. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2016;18 Suppl 1:23-32 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the role of HNF1B in human and murine pancreas and liver development, summarizes the disease phenotypes and identifies areas for future investigations in HNF1B-associated diabetes and liver disease. ..
- Vallier L, Reynolds D, Pedersen R. Nodal inhibits differentiation of human embryonic stem cells along the neuroectodermal default pathway. Dev Biol. 2004;275:403-21 pubmed..The effects of Nodal on early differentiation illustrate how hESCs can augment mouse embryos as a model for analyzing mechanisms of early mammalian development. ..
- Vallier L, Alexander M, Pedersen R. Activin/Nodal and FGF pathways cooperate to maintain pluripotency of human embryonic stem cells. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4495-509 pubmed....
- Vallier L, Mendjan S, Brown S, Chng Z, Teo A, Smithers L, et al. Activin/Nodal signalling maintains pluripotency by controlling Nanog expression. Development. 2009;136:1339-49 pubmed publisher..This negative-feedback loop imposes stasis in neuroectoderm and mesendoderm differentiation, thereby maintaining the pluripotent status of human ESCs and mouse EpiSCs...
- Bertero A, Madrigal P, Galli A, Hubner N, Moreno I, Burks D, et al. Activin/nodal signaling and NANOG orchestrate human embryonic stem cell fate decisions by controlling the H3K4me3 chromatin mark. Genes Dev. 2015;29:702-17 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the mechanisms by which extracellular factors coordinate chromatin status and cell fate decisions in hESCs. ..
- Ortmann D, Vallier L. Variability of human pluripotent stem cell lines. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2017;46:179-185 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarise our knowledge concerning the origin of this variability and describe potential solutions currently available to bypass this major challenge. ..