K R Matthews
Affiliation: University of Manchester
- The cell biology of Trypanosoma brucei differentiationKatelyn Fenn
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Ashworth Laboratories, King s Buildings, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Curr Opin Microbiol 10:539-46. 2007..Interestingly, the new molecular discoveries provide insights into the biology of the parasite in the field...
- Molecular regulation of the life cycle of African trypanosomesKeith R Matthews
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Trends Parasitol 20:40-7. 2004
- Commitment to differentiation and cell cycle re-entry are coincident but separable events in the transformation of African trypanosomes from their bloodstream to their insect formK R Matthews
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
J Cell Sci 110:2609-18. 1997....
- Identification of stage-regulated and differentiation-enriched transcripts during transformation of the African trypanosome from its bloodstream to procyclic formK R Matthews
University of Manchester, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 95:81-95. 1998....
- Developments in the differentiation of Trypanosoma bruceiK R Matthews
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK M13 9PT
Parasitol Today 15:76-80. 1999..Here, Keith Matthews presents an overview of recent advances in the understanding of the regulation of these complex differentiation events...
- The bloodstream differentiation-division of Trypanosoma brucei studied using mitochondrial markersK M Tyler
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
Proc Biol Sci 264:1481-90. 1997..The results implicate a temporal order of events: commitment, division, phenotypic differentiation...
- Characterisation of the growth and differentiation in vivo and in vitro-of bloodstream-form Trypanosoma brucei strain TREU 927F J van Deursen
Division of Biochemistry, School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 112:163-71. 2001..The generated lines and analyses of their growth and differentiation will provide a basic resource for the analysis and interpretation of gene function in the T. brucei genome reference strain...
- Flagellar morphogenesis: protein targeting and assembly in the paraflagellar rod of trypanosomesP Bastin
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 19:8191-200. 1999..This seven-amino-acid sequence is conserved in all PFRA and PFRC proteins and shows homology to a sequence in the flagellar dynein heavy chain of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii...
- A novel CCCH protein which modulates differentiation of Trypanosoma brucei to its procyclic formE F Hendriks
School of Biological Sciences, 2 205 Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
EMBO J 20:6700-11. 2001..TbZFP1 and tbZFP2 represent the first molecules implicated in the control of trypanosome differentiation to the procyclic form...
- Expression site silencing and life-cycle progression appear normal in Argonaute1-deficient Trypanosoma bruceiChristian J Janzen
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology, The Rockefeller University, Box 185, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 6399, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 149:102-7. 2006
- Restless gossamers: antibody clearance by hydrodynamic flow forces generated at the surface of motile trypanosome parasitesSamuel D Dean
Institute for Immunology and Infection Research, School of Biological Sciences, Ashworth Laboratories, King s Buildings, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Cell Host Microbe 2:279-81. 2007..quot; Consequently, they are swept to the cell posterior, internalized via the flagellar-pocket, and degraded. Hydrodynamic sorting is a novel biological process, possibly applicable in other contexts...
- Protein tyrosine phosphatase TbPTP1: A molecular switch controlling life cycle differentiation in trypanosomesBalazs Szoor
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, Scotland, UK
J Cell Biol 175:293-303. 2006..It may be possible to use PTP1B inhibitors to block trypanosomatid transmission...
- Regulation of surface coat exchange by differentiating African trypanosomesAmy E Gruszynski
Department of Biomolecular Chemistry, University of Wisonsin Madison, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 147:211-23. 2006..The relegation of short stumpy surface GPI-PLC to a secondary role in differentiation suggests that it may play a more important role as a virulence factor within the mammalian host...
- Disruption of the developmental programme of Trypanosoma brucei by genetic ablation of TbZFP1, a differentiation-enriched CCCH proteinEdward F Hendriks
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, School of Biological Sciences, Ashworth Laboratories, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Mol Microbiol 57:706-16. 2005..brucei. It demonstrates that programmed events in parasite development can be uncoupled at the molecular level. It also further supports the importance of CCCH proteins in key aspects of trypanosome cell function...
- The developmental cell biology of Trypanosoma bruceiKeith R Matthews
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JT, UK
J Cell Sci 118:283-90. 2005..Therefore, understanding the developmental cell biology of the African trypanosome is providing insight into both fundamentally conserved and fundamentally different aspects of the organization of the eukaryotic cell...
- tbCPSF30 depletion by RNA interference disrupts polycistronic RNA processing in Trypanosoma bruceiEdward F Hendriks
School of Biological Sciences, Division of Biochemistry, 2 205 Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:26870-8. 2003..This study is the first to identify and characterize a core component of the T. brucei CPSF and show its involvement in polycistronic RNA processing...
- Mitochondrial development during life cycle differentiation of African trypanosomes: evidence for a kinetoplast-dependent differentiation control pointMark W Timms
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, M13 9PT United Kingdom
Mol Biol Cell 13:3747-59. 2002..These results provide strong evidence for a requirement for kinetoplast DNA in the bloodstream and for a kinetoplast-dependent control point during differentiation to procyclic forms...
- Modelling trypanosome chronicity: VSG dynasties and parasite densityPaula MacGregor
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JT, UK
Trends Parasitol 24:1-4. 2008..The study has important implications for understanding the dynamics of antigenic variation and for modelling the consequences of therapeutic strategies directed against trypanosomes...