Debbie Anne Lawlor
Affiliation: University of Bristol
- Lawlor D, Taylor M, Bedford C, Ebrahim S. Is housework good for health? Levels of physical activity and factors associated with activity in elderly women. Results from the British Women's Heart and Health Study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2002;56:473-8 pubmed..Heavy housework is not associated with reduced levels of being overweight and prospective studies are necessary to demonstrate an independent health benefit of participating in domestic activities. ..
- Wang Q, Ferreira D, Nelson S, Sattar N, Ala Korpela M, Lawlor D. Metabolic characterization of menopause: cross-sectional and longitudinal evidence. BMC Med. 2018;16:17 pubmed publisher..The adverse changes in multiple apolipoprotein-B-containing lipoprotein subclasses and increased inflammation may underlie women's increased cardiometabolic risk in their post-menopausal years. ..
- Lawlor D, Harbord R, Timpson N, Lowe G, Rumley A, Gaunt T, et al. The association of C-reactive protein and CRP genotype with coronary heart disease: findings from five studies with 4,610 cases amongst 18,637 participants. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3011 pubmed publisher..These findings do not support a causal association between circulating CRP and CHD risk, but very large, extended, genetic association studies would be required to rule this out. ..
- Lawlor D, Nordestgaard B, Benn M, Zuccolo L, Tybjaerg Hansen A, Davey Smith G. Exploring causal associations between alcohol and coronary heart disease risk factors: findings from a Mendelian randomization study in the Copenhagen General Population Study. Eur Heart J. 2013;34:2519-28 pubmed publisher..Our results show adverse effects of long-term alcohol consumption on BP and BMI. We also found novel evidence for a potentially beneficial effect on triglyceride levels, which needs further replication. ..
- Lawlor D, Howe L, Anderson E, Kipping R, Campbell R, Wells S, et al. The Active for Life Year 5 (AFLY5) school-based cluster randomised controlled trial: effect on potential mediators. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:68 pubmed publisher..Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN50133740. Registered 17/03/2011. ..
- Lawlor D, Morgan K, Frankel S. Caring for the health of the public: cross sectional study of the activities of UK public health departments. Public Health. 2002;116:102-5 pubmed....
- Lawlor D, Day I, Gaunt T, Hinks L, Briggs P, Kiessling M, et al. The association of the PON1 Q192R polymorphism with coronary heart disease: findings from the British Women's Heart and Health cohort study and a meta-analysis. BMC Genet. 2004;5:17 pubmed..There is no robust evidence that the PON1 Q192R polymorphism is associated with CHD risk in Caucasian women or men. ..
- Lawlor D, Day I, Gaunt T, Hinks L, Timpson N, Ebrahim S, et al. The association of the paraoxonase (PON1) Q192R polymorphism with depression in older women: findings from the British Women's Heart and Health Study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2007;61:85-7 pubmed..The possible role of PON1 Q192R in psychiatric morbidity requires further examination. ..
- Lawlor D, Timpson N, Harbord R, Leary S, Ness A, McCarthy M, et al. Exploring the developmental overnutrition hypothesis using parental-offspring associations and FTO as an instrumental variable. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e33 pubmed publisher..Developmental overnutrition related to greater maternal BMI is unlikely to have driven the recent obesity epidemic. ..
- Lawlor D, Fraser A, Lindsay R, Ness A, Dabelea D, Catalano P, et al. Association of existing diabetes, gestational diabetes and glycosuria in pregnancy with macrosomia and offspring body mass index, waist and fat mass in later childhood: findings from a prospective pregnancy cohort. Diabetologia. 2010;53:89-97 pubmed publisher....
- Lawlor D, Fraser A, Macdonald Wallis C, Nelson S, Palmer T, Davey Smith G, et al. Maternal and offspring adiposity-related genetic variants and gestational weight gain. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011;94:149-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that neither maternal nor fetal adiposity-related genetic variants are associated with greater GWG. The inverse association of maternal allele score with GWG in the first 18 wk requires replication. ..
- Xu L, Borges M, Hemani G, Lawlor D. The role of glycaemic and lipid risk factors in mediating the effect of BMI on coronary heart disease: a two-step, two-sample Mendelian randomisation study. Diabetologia. 2017;60:2210-2220 pubmed publisher..09 (95% CI 0.94, 1.27) with adjustment for both. Increased triacylglycerol levels and poor glycaemic control appear to mediate much of the effect of BMI on CHD. ..
- West J, Santorelli G, Whincup P, Smith L, Sattar N, Cameron N, et al. Association of maternal exposures with adiposity at age 4/5 years in white British and Pakistani children: findings from the Born in Bradford study. Diabetologia. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Our aim was to compare associations of maternal gestational adiposity and glucose with adiposity at age 4/5 years in white British and Pakistani children...