N J Abbott
Affiliation: King's College London
- Abbott N, Patabendige A, Dolman D, Yusof S, Begley D. Structure and function of the blood-brain barrier. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;37:13-25 pubmed publisher..The BBB is subject to short and long-term regulation, which may be disturbed in pathology. Any programme for drug discovery or delivery, to target or avoid the CNS, needs to consider the special features of the BBB. ..
- Abbott N, Pizzo M, Preston J, Janigro D, Thorne R. The role of brain barriers in fluid movement in the CNS: is there a 'glymphatic' system?. Acta Neuropathol. 2018;135:387-407 pubmed publisher....
- Abbott N, Mendonça L, Dolman D. The blood-brain barrier in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus. 2003;12:908-15 pubmed..Both can result in barrier breakdown. Neurological syndromes could then be secondary to damage to the BBB. The implications for treatment of NPSLE are discussed...
- Abbott N. Evidence for bulk flow of brain interstitial fluid: significance for physiology and pathology. Neurochem Int. 2004;45:545-52 pubmed....
- Nielsen S, Siupka P, Georgian A, Preston J, TÃ³th A, Yusof S, et al. Improved Method for the Establishment of an In Vitro Blood-Brain Barrier Model Based on Porcine Brain Endothelial Cells. J Vis Exp. 2017;: pubmed publisher..The model presented can be used for a range of studies of the BBB in health and disease and, with the highly restrictive paracellular permeability, this model is suitable for studies of transport and intracellular trafficking. ..