D B Johnson
- Johnson D, Hallberg K. The microbiology of acidic mine waters. Res Microbiol. 2003;154:466-73 pubmed..quot;Acidophiles" comprise a surprisingly wide diversity (in terms of both physiology and phylogeny) of microorganisms. This article reviews current knowledge of the distribution and biodiversity of this group of extremophiles. ..
- Holanda R, Hedrich S, Nancucheo I, Oliveira G, Grail B, Johnson D. Isolation and characterisation of mineral-oxidising "Acidibacillus" spp. from mine sites and geothermal environments in different global locations. Res Microbiol. 2016;167:613-23 pubmed publisher..Initial annotation of the genomes of two strains of "A. ferrooxidans" revealed the presence of genes (cbbL) involved in the RuBisCO pathway for CO2 assimilation and iron oxidation (rus), though with relatively low sequence identities. ..
- Núñez H, Covarrubias P, Moya Beltrán A, Issotta F, Atavales J, Acuña L, et al. Detection, identification and typing of Acidithiobacillus species and strains: a review. Res Microbiol. 2016;167:555-67 pubmed publisher..Emerging opportunities for industrial and environmental surveillance of acidithiobacilli using next-generation molecular typing methodologies are also reviewed. ..
- Johnson D, Bridge T. Reduction of ferric iron by acidophilic heterotrophic bacteria: evidence for constitutive and inducible enzyme systems in Acidiphilium spp. J Appl Microbiol. 2002;92:315-21 pubmed..To compare the abilities of two obligately acidophilic heterotrophic bacteria, Acidiphilium acidophilum and Acidiphilium SJH, to reduce ferric iron to ferrous when grown under different culture conditions...
- Johnson D, Joulian C, d Hugues P, Hallberg K. Sulfobacillus benefaciens sp. nov., an acidophilic facultative anaerobic Firmicute isolated from mineral bioleaching operations. Extremophiles. 2008;12:789-98 pubmed publisher..Based on their phylogenetic and phenotypic characteristics, the isolates are designated strains of the proposed novel species, Sulfobacillus benefaciens, with isolate BRGM2 nominated as the type strain. ..
- Johnson D, Bacelar Nicolau P, Okibe N, Thomas A, Hallberg K. Ferrimicrobium acidiphilum gen. nov., sp. nov. and Ferrithrix thermotolerans gen. nov., sp. nov.: heterotrophic, iron-oxidizing, extremely acidophilic actinobacteria. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:1082-9 pubmed publisher..nov., sp. nov. are proposed for the mesophilic and moderately thermophilic isolates, respectively, with the respective type strains T23(T) (=DSM 19497(T)=ATCC BAA-1647(T)) and Y005(T) (=DSM 19514(T)=ATCC BAA-1645(T)). ..
- Johnson D. Geomicrobiology of extremely acidic subsurface environments. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2012;81:2-12 pubmed publisher..Wooden pit props, submerged in the underground lake, act as a slow-release source of organic carbon in the subterranean Mynydd Parys lake, supporting a microbial community that is more enriched with heterotrophic microorganisms...