Affiliation: Academic Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- Groen A, Kunne C, Oude Elferink R. Increased serum concentrations of secondary bile salts during cholate feeding are due to coprophagy. A study with wild-type and Atp8b1-deficient mice. Mol Pharm. 2006;3:756-61 pubmed..Whether housed in conventional cages or in metabolic cages, wild-type and Atp8b1-deficient mice had similar concentrations in portal blood, suggesting that intestinal bile salt absorption is not altered in Atp8b1-deficient mice. ..
- Bolier R, Tolenaars D, Kremer A, Saris J, ParÃ©s A, Verheij J, et al. Enteroendocrine cells are a potential source of serum autotaxin in men. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1862:696-704 pubmed publisher..In mice, clearance of ATX is not affected by cholestasis. Small intestinal ATX expression by enteroendocrine cells might represent an important source of cholestasis-induced serum ATX activity in men. ..
- de Oliveira M, Gilglioni E, de Boer B, Runge J, de Waart D, Salgueiro C, et al. Bile acid receptor agonists INT747 and INT777 decrease oestrogen deficiency-related postmenopausal obesity and hepatic steatosis in mice. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1862:2054-2062 pubmed publisher..Potential mechanisms include increased energy expenditure and changes in expression patterns of key metabolic genes in liver, muscle and adipose tissues. ..
- Mardones P, Chang J, Oude Elferink R. Cyclic AMP and alkaline pH downregulate carbonic anhydrase 2 in mouse fibroblasts. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1840:1765-70 pubmed publisher..Regulation occurs in opposite directions which may be explained by an incoherent feedforward loop consisting of activation by pCREB and repression by ICER. ..
- Kunne C, Acco A, Duijst S, de Waart D, Paulusma C, Gaemers I, et al. FXR-dependent reduction of hepatic steatosis in a bile salt deficient mouse model. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1842:739-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, steatosis in Hrn mice is ameliorated when mice are fed bile salts. This effect is FXR dependent. Triglyceride accumulation in Hrn liver may partly involve impaired VLDL secretion. ..
- Kremer A, Bolier R, Dixon P, Geenes V, Chambers J, Tolenaars D, et al. Autotaxin activity has a high accuracy to diagnose intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. J Hepatol. 2015;62:897-904 pubmed publisher..Pregnancy and oral contraception increase serum autotaxin to a much lesser extent than ICP. ..
- Elferink R, Ottenhoff R, Van Marle J, Frijters C, Smith A, Groen A. Class III P-glycoproteins mediate the formation of lipoprotein X in the mouse. J Clin Invest. 1998;102:1749-57 pubmed..The concentration of this lipoprotein is determined by the activity of the canalicular phospholipid translocator...
- Oude Elferink R, Groen A. Mechanisms of biliary lipid secretion and their role in lipid homeostasis. Semin Liver Dis. 2000;20:293-305 pubmed..In this review we discuss our current understanding of hepatocanalicular lipid secretion in this context. The pathologic consequences of defects in biliary lipid secretion are discussed in another review in this issue...
- Elferink R, Groen A. Genetic defects in hepatobiliary transport. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1586:129-45 pubmed..Four of these transporter genes are associated with inherited diseases. In this minireview we will shortly describe our present understanding of bile formation and the associated inherited defects...
- Elferink R, Ottenhoff R, Fricker G, Seward D, Ballatori N, Boyer J. Lack of biliary lipid excretion in the little skate, Raja erinacea, indicates the absence of functional Mdr2, Abcg5, and Abcg8 transporters. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;286:G762-8 pubmed..Little skate plasma membranes may be protected against bile salt micelles mainly by their high sphingomyelin content...
- Oude Elferink R, Paulusma C. Function and pathophysiological importance of ABCB4 (MDR3 P-glycoprotein). Pflugers Arch. 2007;453:601-10 pubmed..In this review, we will discuss the functional aspects of ABCB4 and the regulation of its expression. Furthermore, we will describe the clinical and biochemical consequences of complete and partial deficiency of ABCB4 function...
- Oude Elferink R, de Waart R. Transporters in the intestine limiting drug and toxin absorption. J Physiol Biochem. 2007;63:75-81 pubmed..This combined activity strongly determines whether drugs have access to the systemic circulation...
- Chang J, Go S, Verhoeven A, Beuers U, Oude Elferink R. Role of the bicarbonate-responsive soluble adenylyl cyclase in cholangiocyte apoptosis in primary biliary cholangitis; a new hypothesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2018;1864:1232-1239 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Cholangiocytes in Health and Diseaseedited by Jesus Banales, Marco Marzioni and Peter Jansen. ..