Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland
- Christen V, Fent K. Tissue-, sex- and development-specific transcription profiles of eight UDP-glucuronosyltransferase genes in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and their regulation by activator of aryl hydrocarbon receptor. Aquat Toxicol. 2014;150:93-102 pubmed publisher..This is the first study showing transcriptional expression of eight different Ugts in tissues and during embryonic development and offers new perspectives on the involvement of Ugts in fish xenobiotic metabolism. ..
- Rossier N, Chew G, Zhang K, Riva F, Fent K. Activity of binary mixtures of drospirenone with progesterone and 17Î±-ethinylestradiol in vitro and in vivo. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;174:109-22 pubmed publisher..The receptor-based responses did not correspond well to the transcriptional responses in embryos which are much more complex due to the interplay between hormonal pathways, receptor crosstalk, and hormonal feedback loops. ..
- Kropf C, Segner H, Fent K. ABC transporters and xenobiotic defense systems in early life stages of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;185-186:45-56 pubmed publisher..The results provide evidence that the transition from the eleuthero-embryo to the larval stage is accompanied by a major alteration in tissue expression of ABC transporters. ..
- Siegenthaler P, Bain P, Riva F, Fent K. Effects of antiandrogenic progestins, chlormadinone and cyproterone acetate, and the estrogen 17?-ethinylestradiol (EE2), and their mixtures: Transactivation with human and rainbowfish hormone receptors and transcriptional effects in zebrafish (Danio. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;182:142-162 pubmed publisher..The lack of agonistic activities of both progestins to rainbowfish PGR and AR is the probable reason for the low activity found in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. ..
- Siegenthaler P, Zhao Y, Zhang K, Fent K. Reproductive and transcriptional effects of the antiandrogenic progestin chlormadinone acetate in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2017;223:346-356 pubmed publisher..The observed effects were weaker than those of other very potent progestins, which is probably related to the lack of interaction of CMA with the zebrafish progesterone receptor. ..
- Christen V, Fent K. Exposure of honey bees (Apis mellifera) to different classes of insecticides exhibit distinct molecular effect patterns at concentrations that mimic environmental contamination. Environ Pollut. 2017;226:48-59 pubmed publisher..As transcriptional alterations occurred at environmental concentrations our data provide a molecular basis for observed adverse effects of these insecticides to bees. ..
- Zhang K, Fent K. Determination of two progestin metabolites (17Î±-hydroxypregnanolone and pregnanediol) and different classes of steroids (androgens, estrogens, corticosteroids, progestins) in rivers and wastewaters by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mas. Sci Total Environ. 2018;610-611:1164-1172 pubmed publisher..0ng/L and 0.91ng/L. Our procedure represents the first method for analyzing 17OH-Î”5P and PD in environmental samples along with a large series of steroids. ..
- Zhao Y, Zhang K, Fent K. Regulation of zebrafish (Danio rerio) locomotor behavior and circadian rhythm network by environmental steroid hormones. Environ Pollut. 2018;232:422-429 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that steroid hormones can modulate the circadian molecular network in zebrafish and provide novel insights into their mode of actions and potential environmental risks. ..
- Fent K, Chew G, Li J, Gomez E. Benzotriazole UV-stabilizers and benzotriazole: Antiandrogenic activity in vitro and activation of aryl hydrocarbon receptor pathway in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. Sci Total Environ. 2014;482-483:125-36 pubmed publisher..Forthcoming studies should show whether the observed antiandrogenic activities and transcriptional changes translate into physiological effects . ..
- Blüthgen N, Meili N, Chew G, Odermatt A, Fent K. Accumulation and effects of the UV-filter octocrylene in adult and embryonic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Sci Total Environ. 2014;476-477:207-17 pubmed publisher..Blood levels of 11-ketotestosterone were not altered. The transcriptomics data suggest that OC mainly affects transcription of genes related to developmental processes in the brain and liver as well as metabolic processes in the liver. ..