- Rubio N, Torres C. Interferon-gamma induces proliferation but not apoptosis in murine astrocytes through the differential expression of the myc proto-oncogene family. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1999;71:104-10 pubmed..Conversely, treatment with a dose of 10 U/ml induced cells proliferation in astrocytic cells as measured by (3)H-thymidine incorporation. ..
- Rubio N, Martìn Clemente B. Binding of adenovirus to its receptors in mouse astrocytes induces c-fos proto-oncogene and apoptosis. Virology. 2002;297:211-9 pubmed..The purpose of our study was to ascertain the potential for adenovirus as a gene therapy vector for neural disorders caused by astrocyte dysfunctions. ..
- Rubio N, Rodriguez R, Arevalo M. In vitro myelination by oligodendrocyte precursor cells transfected with the neurotrophin-3 gene. Glia. 2004;47:78-87 pubmed..We discuss the future use of this transfected cells in regeneration and functional recovery in experimental models of multiple sclerosis. ..
- Rubio N, Sanz Rodriguez F, Lipton H. Theiler's virus induces the MIP-2 chemokine (CXCL2) in astrocytes from genetically susceptible but not from resistant mouse strains. Cell Immunol. 2006;239:31-40 pubmed..This suggest an role for this chemokine in attracting immune cells within the CNS, which in turn, might trigger demyelination in this experimental model of MS. ..
- Rubio N, Palomo M, Alcami A. Interferon-alpha/beta genes are up-regulated in murine brain astrocytes after infection with Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2010;30:253-62 pubmed publisher..The brains of infected mice contained IFN-alpha/beta mRNA during the acute encephalitis phase, peaking at day 5 post-infection. Our findings could have significance for human diseases such as viral encephalitis and multiple sclerosis. ..
- Rubio N, Sanz Rodriguez F, Arevalo M. Up-regulation of the vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) induced by Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus infection of murine brain astrocytes. Cell Commun Adhes. 2010;17:57-68 pubmed publisher..The present data show a small but statistically significant overexpression of VCAM-1 after astrocyte infection with TMEV that could play a significant role in vivo...
- Rubio N, Garcia Segura L, Arevalo M. Survivin prevents apoptosis by binding to caspase-3 in astrocytes infected with the BeAn strain of Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus. J Neurovirol. 2012;18:354-63 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that astrocytes infected by the BeAn strain do not undergo apoptosis due to the production of survivin. ..