Affiliation: Vila Real
- Alho A, Silva J, Fonseca M, Santos F, Nunes C, de Carvalho L, et al. First report of Cytauxzoon sp. infection in a domestic cat from Portugal. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:220 pubmed publisher..clustering together with C. manul) in a felid from Portugal. Clinical manifestations along with molecular analysis suggest the hypothesis that domestic cats might be infected with and serve as a reservoir host for C. manul. ..
- Alho A, Pita J, Amaro A, Amaro F, Schnyder M, Grimm F, et al. Seroprevalence of vector-borne pathogens and molecular detection of Borrelia afzelii in military dogs from Portugal. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:225 pubmed publisher..For the first time in Portugal, B. afzelii DNA was identified in dogs and a dog was found seropositive for antibodies against Toscana virus. ..
- Gama A, Pires I, Canado M, Coutinho T, Lopes A, Latrofa M, et al. First report of Thelazia callipaeda infection in wild European rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) in Portugal. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:236 pubmed publisher....
- Cardoso L, Oliveira A, Granada S, Nachum Biala Y, Gilad M, Lopes A, et al. Molecular investigation of tick-borne pathogens in dogs from Luanda, Angola. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:252 pubmed publisher....
- Albuquerque A, Campino L, Cardoso L, Cortes S. Evaluation of four molecular methods to detect Leishmania infection in dogs. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:57 pubmed publisher..Accurate and early diagnosis in clinically suspect as well as apparently healthy dogs is essential, in order to treat and protect animals and public health and contribute to the control and awareness of the disease. ..
- Lopes A, Oliveira A, Granada S, Rodrigues F, Papadopoulos E, Schallig H, et al. Antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii and Leishmania spp. in domestic cats from Luanda, Angola. Vet Parasitol. 2017;239:15-18 pubmed publisher..Under these circumstances, additional studies, including a larger number of cats, are necessary for a more comprehensive assessment of the zoonotic risk posed by these animals in Angola. ..
- Barradas P, Vilhena H, Oliveira A, Granada S, Amorim I, Ferreira P, et al. Serological and molecular detection of spotted fever group Rickettsia in a group of pet dogs from Luanda, Angola. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:271 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence that dogs in Luanda are exposed to Rickettsia spp., but further studies are needed to better characterize the bacterial infections in dogs and in their ectoparasites. ..
- Cardoso L, Tuna J, Vieira L, Yisaschar Mekuzas Y, Baneth G. Molecular detection of Anaplasma platys and Ehrlichia canis in dogs from the North of Portugal. Vet J. 2010;183:232-3 pubmed publisher..One of these latter animals was co-infected with Babesia canis subspecies vogeli. This is the first report of the genetic characterisation of both A. platys and E. canis in naturally infected dogs from the North of Portugal...
- Cardoso L, Cortes H, Reis A, Rodrigues P, Simoes M, Lopes A, et al. Prevalence of Babesia microti-like infection in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) from Portugal. Vet Parasitol. 2013;196:90-5 pubmed publisher..A natural cycle of the B. microti-like piroplasm is suggested in red fox populations based on the high prevalence of the protozoan. Red foxes might be a reservoir of the B. microti-like piroplasm and a source of infection to dogs...