Affiliation: University of Eastern Finland
Location: Kuopio, Finland
microscopy, electron microscopy, spectroscopy, mechanical testing, coatings
- Apparatus to test insertion and removal torque of bone screwsA Koistinen
Department of Applied Physics, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 217:503-8. 2003..The equipment can be used to measure insertion and removal torques as described in the standard. Furthermore, it also allows testing of normal screws and bolts...
- Effect of bone mineral density and amorphous diamond coatings on insertion torque of bone screwsArto Koistinen
Department of Applied Physics, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Biomaterials 26:5687-94. 2005..By using a polished AD coating, insertion torque was decreased even up to 50% in comparison with the screws without coating. The results suggest that AD coating provides a stable, smooth surface and reduces the risk of screw failures...
- The effect of geometry and abduction angle on the stresses in cemented UHMWPE acetabular cups--finite element simulations and experimental testsRami K Korhonen
Department of Applied Physics, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Biomed Eng Online 4:32. 2005..The aim of the present study was to test the hypotheses that the cup geometry, abduction angle, thickness and clearance can modify the stresses in cemented polyethylene cups...
- Biomechanical in vitro evaluation of the effect of cyclic loading on the postoperative fixation stability and degradation of a biodegradable ankle platePetteri Väänänen
Department of Physics, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, 70211 Finland
J Orthop Res 26:1485-8. 2008..Cyclic loading, applied either during or after 12 weeks of hydrolytic degradation, does not seem to have any clinically relevant effect on the fixation stability or the degradation properties...
- Collagen and mineral deposition in rabbit cortical bone during maturation and growth: effects on tissue propertiesHanna Isaksson
Department of Physics and Mathematics, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
J Orthop Res 28:1626-33. 2010..In cortical bone, the collagen network reaches its mature composition and mechanical strength prior to the mineralized matrix...
- Cauliflower-like CdS microspheres composed of nanocrystals and their physicochemical propertiesSelvaraj Rengaraj
University of Eastern Finland, Laboratory of Applied Environmental Chemistry, Patteristonkatu 1, FI 50100 Mikkeli, Finland
Langmuir 27:352-8. 2011..99 to 2.06 eV. The cauliflower-like CdS microspheres could be applied to photocatalytic degradation studies...
- CdS microspheres composed of nanocrystals and their photocatalytic activitySelvaraj Rengaraj
Laboratory of Applied Environmental Chemistry LAEC, University of Eastern Finland, Patteristonkatu 1, FI 50100 Mikkeli, Finland
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 11:2090-9. 2011..These results suggest that CdS microspheres will be an interesting candidate for photocatalytic detoxification studies under visible light radiation...
- Analysis of plastic deformation in cortical bone after insertion of coated and non-coated self-tapping orthopaedic screwsA P Koistinen
Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 225:629-39. 2011..This can be explained by natural variability in bone tissue, which also made automated image analysis difficult...
- Hypotonic challenge modulates cell volumes differently in the superficial zone of intact articular cartilage and cartilage explantSiru M Turunen
Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Biomech Model Mechanobiol 11:665-75. 2012..This indicates that the mechanobiological responses of cartilage and cell signalling may be significantly dependent on the integrity of the mechanical environment of chondrocytes...
- Biomechanical evaluation of bone screw fixation with a novel bone cementTiina Juvonen
Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio Campus, Kuopio, Finland
Biomed Eng Online 14:74. 2015..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of novel bone cements on the stability of bone screw fixation by biomechanical testing and to compare them with a conventional Simplex(®)P bone cement and requirements of the standards...
- Short-term exercise-induced improvements in bone properties are for the most part not maintained during aging in hamstersArto P Koistinen
Department of Applied Physics, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland SIB Labs, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland Electronic address
Exp Gerontol 51:46-53. 2014..Our study demonstrates that physical exercise during growth improves either directly or indirectly through weight gain bone properties of the hamsters. However, the beneficial effects were for the most part not maintained during aging. ..