Affiliation: National Kyushu Cancer Center
- Toh Y, Oki E, Ohgaki K, Sakamoto Y, Ito S, Egashira A, et al. Alcohol drinking, cigarette smoking, and the development of squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus: molecular mechanisms of carcinogenesis. Int J Clin Oncol. 2010;15:135-44 pubmed publisher..This brief review summarizes the general mechanisms of alcohol- and smoking-induced carcinogenesis and then discusses the mechanisms of the development of ESCC, with special attention to alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking. ..
- Toh Y, Egashira A, Yamamoto M. Epigenetic alterations and their clinical implications in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;61:262-9 pubmed publisher..Clinical implications of these epigenetic alterations in ESCC will be also discussed. ..
- Ikebe M, Morita M, Yamamoto M, Toh Y. Neoadjuvant therapy for advanced esophageal cancer: the impact on surgical management. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;64:386-94 pubmed publisher..Issues such as the timing of surgery after neoadjuvant therapy, the extent of lymph node dissection, and the operative approach in relation to the esophagus are matters to be elucidated in the future. ..
- Toh Y, Kuninaka S, Endo K, Oshiro T, Ikeda Y, Nakashima H, et al. Molecular analysis of a candidate metastasis-associated gene, MTA1: possible interaction with histone deacetylase 1. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2000;19:105-11 pubmed....
- Toh Y, Ohga T, Endo K, Adachi E, Kusumoto H, Haraguchi M, et al. Expression of the metastasis-associated MTA1 protein and its relationship to deacetylation of the histone H4 in esophageal squamous cell carcinomas. Int J Cancer. 2004;110:362-7 pubmed..Thus, strategies involving inhibition of MTA1 function as well as inhibition of histone deacetylation could be novel approaches for the treatment of esophageal squamous cell carcinomas. ..
- Toh Y, Nicolson G. Identification and characterization of metastasis-associated gene/protein 1 (MTA1). Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2014;33:837-42 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will briefly discuss the researches for the identification and characterization of the mta1 gene, its human counterpart MTA1, and their protein products. ..