Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Kumamoto University
Publications115 found, 100 shown here
- Akiyama T, Miyamoto Y, Sakamoto Y, Tokunaga R, Kosumi K, Shigaki H, et al. Cancer-related multiple brain infarctions caused by Trousseau syndrome in a patient with metastatic colon cancer: a case report. Surg Case Rep. 2016;2:91 pubmed publisher..The patient's condition showed no response to an alternative treatment regimen for advanced colon carcinoma. He died approximately 11 months after tumor discovery. ..
- Nitta H, Shimose T, Emi Y, Imamura T, Ohnishi K, Kusumoto T, et al. Expression of the anaphylatoxin C5a receptor in gastric cancer: implications for vascular invasion and patient outcomes. Med Oncol. 2016;33:118 pubmed publisher..01). C5aR expression in gastric cancer was associated with cancer progression, liver metastasis, and poor prognosis. Therefore, C5aR may represent a prognostic factor and therapeutic target in gastric cancer. ..
- Nagai Y, Beppu T, Sakamoto Y, Miyamoto Y, Hayashi H, Nitta H, et al. Carcinoembryonic antigen half-life is an early predictor of therapeutic effects in induction chemotherapy for liver metastases from colorectal cancer. Anticancer Res. 2014;34:5529-35 pubmed..The CEA-HL is an early predictor of the pathological response and prognosis after induction chemotherapy for CRLM. ..
- Nakagawa S, Hayashi H, Nitta H, Okabe H, Sakamoto K, Higashi T, et al. Scoring system based on tumor markers and Child-Pugh classification for HCC patients who underwent liver resection. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:2157-63 pubmed..TMS is a useful staging system to evaluate biological status and background liver function. ..
- Miyamoto Y, Tsuji A, Tanioka H, Maekawa S, Kawanaka H, Kitazono M, et al. S-1 and irinotecan plus bevacizumab as second-line chemotherapy for patients with oxaliplatin-refractory metastatic colorectal cancer: a multicenter phase II study in Japan (KSCC1102). Int J Clin Oncol. 2016;21:705-712 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that the combination of S-1 and irinotecan plus bevacizumab is effective and tolerable as second-line chemotherapy for patients with oxaliplatin-refractory mCRC. ..
- Sakamoto K, Beppu T, Hayashi H, Nakagawa S, Okabe H, Nitta H, et al. Antiviral therapy and long-term outcome for hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma after curative liver resection in a Japanese cohort. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:1647-55 pubmed..However, deterministic evaluation was impossible by this study alone. ..
- Beppu T, Nitta H, Hayashi H, Imai K, Okabe H, Nakagawa S, et al. Effect of branched-chain amino acid supplementation on functional liver regeneration in patients undergoing portal vein embolization and sequential hepatectomy: a randomized controlled trial. J Gastroenterol. 2015;50:1197-205 pubmed publisher..0 and 0.01, P = 0.023). BCAA supplementation improved functional liver regeneration and function in patients undergoing PVE followed by major hepatic resection. ..
- Daitoku N, Miyamoto Y, Tokunaga R, Sakamoto Y, Hiyoshi Y, Iwatsuki M, et al. Controlling Nutritional Status (CONUT) Score Is a Prognostic Marker in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer Patients Receiving First-line Chemotherapy. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:4883-4888 pubmed publisher..05) and overall survival (log-rank p<0.001). The CONUT score is a useful prognostic marker for predicting survival outcomes of patients with mCRC. ..
- Hashimoto D, Arita T, Kuroki H, Motomura Y, Ishikawa S, Inayoshi A, et al. Acute afferent loop necrosis after Roux-en-Y cholangiojejunostomy. Clin J Gastroenterol. 2010;3:165-7 pubmed publisher..Cholangiojejunostomy was completely separated due to necrosis of the Roux-en-Y jejunum. In addition to the case report, we discuss features of cholangiojejunostomy that require special attention. ..
- Nitta H, Nakagawa S, Kaida T, Arima K, Higashi T, Taki K, et al. Pre-treatment double- or triple-positive tumor markers are predictive of a poor outcome for patients undergoing radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Surg Today. 2017;47:375-384 pubmed publisher..44-12.33, P < 0.001] and overall survival (HR 4.21, 95 % CI 1.89-9.37, P < 0.001). RFA may not be suitable for patients with HCC who have pre-treatment expression of ?two of these tumor markers. ..
- Sawayama H, Iwatsuki M, Kuroda D, Toihata T, Uchihara T, Koga Y, et al. Total iron-binding capacity is a novel prognostic marker after curative gastrectomy for gastric cancer. Int J Clin Oncol. 2018;23:671-680 pubmed publisher..065, 95% CI 1.144-3.570, P?=?0.0173) in multivariate Cox hazard regression analysis. Preoperative serum TIBC level of GC patients who undergo curative gastrectomy is a novel prognostic marker in univariate and multivariate analyses. ..
- Koga Y, Beppu T, Miyata T, Kitano Y, Tsuji A, Nakagawa S, et al. Predicting Poorly Differentiated Hepatocellular Carcinoma that Meets the Milan Criteria. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:4093-4099 pubmed publisher..The preoperative status of two or three positive tumor markers and high NLR facilitated selecting HCC patients with poorly differentiated disease, which will assist making therapeutic decisions for HCC patients. ..
- Morita K, Haga Y, Miyanari N, Sawayama H, Matsumoto K, Mizumoto T, et al. A case of an omphalomesenteric duct remnant in an adult treated with laparoscopic surgery. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015;8C:179-81 pubmed publisher..Most reports advocate for prompt surgical resection in symptomatic patients. In the present case, definitive diagnosis and treatment were accomplished with minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery. ..
- Yoshida N, Tamaoki Y, Baba Y, Sakamoto Y, Miyamoto Y, Iwatsuki M, et al. Incidence and risk factors of synchronous colorectal cancer in patients with esophageal cancer: an analysis of 480 consecutive colonoscopies before surgery. Int J Clin Oncol. 2016;21:1079-1084 pubmed..Particularly, in patients >70 years and with history of heavy smoking, pretreatment colonoscopy might be necessary. ..
- Okabe H, Hayashi H, Nakagawa S, Imai K, Nitta H, Arima K, et al. Inducible factors for cancer-associated fibroblasts in liver cancer versus myofibroblasts in inflammatory liver disease. Histol Histopathol. 2016;31:141-8 pubmed publisher..This review on the activation of fibroblasts either in liver cancer or in chronic liver disease would contribute to CAF-targeted therapy in liver cancer. ..
- Sawayama H, Iwatsuki M, Kuroda D, Toihata T, Uchihara T, Koga Y, et al. The association of the lymph node ratio and serum carbohydrate antigen 19-9 with early recurrence after curative gastrectomy for gastric cancer. Surg Today. 2018;: pubmed publisher..4% in those with a high LNr or high-CA19-9 levels, and 1.4% in those with a low LNr and low CA19-9 levels. LNr???0.15 and CA19-9???37 U/ml were effective surrogate markers for predicting early recurrence. ..
- Higashi T, Hayashi H, Kaida T, Arima K, Takeyama H, Taki K, et al. Prognostic Impact of Visceral Fat Amount and Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22 Suppl 3:S1041-7 pubmed publisher..High VFA was associated with a high BCAA level, with high VFA prognostic of improved overall survival in Japanese patients with HCC. ..
- Baba Y, Ishimoto T, Harada K, Kosumi K, Murata A, Miyake K, et al. Molecular Characteristics of Basaloid Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Esophagus: Analysis of KRAS, BRAF, and PIK3CA Mutations and LINE-1 Methylation. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22:3659-65 pubmed publisher..0001). These findings imply that esophageal BSCC and SCC retain different cellular phenotypes with distinct genetic and epigenetic alterations; thus, tailored therapeutic strategies should be developed against each cancer type. ..
- Yoshida N, Baba Y, Hiyoshi Y, Shigaki H, Kurashige J, Sakamoto Y, et al. Duration of Smoking Cessation and Postoperative Morbidity After Esophagectomy for Esophageal Cancer: How Long Should Patients Stop Smoking Before Surgery?. World J Surg. 2016;40:142-7 pubmed publisher..427; p = 0.036). Preoperative smoking cessation more than 90 days is ideal to reduce morbidities after esophagectomy. When patients with insufficient smoking cessation undergo esophagectomy, careful perioperative management is required. ..
- Yoshida N, Baba Y, Oda E, Kosumi K, Ishimoto T, Watanabe M, et al. Reconstruction Using a Pedunculated Gastric Tube with Duodenal Transection After Esophagectomy and Pharyngolaryngectomy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22:4352 pubmed publisher..The current reconstruction technique is a good alternative for patients at risk of conduit ischemia and patients with a short gastric tube after esophagectomy and pharyngolaryngectomy. ..
- Doi K, Beppu T, Ishiko T, Chikamoto A, Hayashi H, Imai K, et al. Endoscopic radiofrequency ablation in elderly patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:3033-40 pubmed..19). The complication rates were also comparable: 5.1% in the elderly group and 8.6% in the non-elderly group. ERFA is safe and provides excellent therapeutic effects in elderly as well as non-elderly patients with HCC. ..
- Okabe H, Chikamoto A, Maruno M, Hashimoto D, Imai K, Taki K, et al. A long survivor with local relapse of hilar cholangiocarcinoma after R1 surgery treated with chemoradiotherapy: a case report and literature review. Surg Case Rep. 2016;2:69 pubmed publisher..Here, we report quite a rare case in terms of long survivor after chemoradiotherapy on locally relapsed unresectable hilar cholangiocarcinoma. ..
- Miyamoto Y, Oki E, Emi Y, Tokunaga S, Shimokawa M, Ogata Y, et al. Low Visceral Fat Content Is a Negative Predictive Marker for Bevacizumab in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:491-499 pubmed..07). Our findings provide the first evidence that a low VFA might be a negative predictive marker for response to bevacizumab in patients with mCRC. ..
- Imai K, Emi Y, Iyama K, Beppu T, Ogata Y, Kakeji Y, et al. Splenic volume may be a useful indicator of the protective effect of bevacizumab against oxaliplatin-induced hepatic sinusoidal obstruction syndrome. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2014;40:559-566 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that the inhibition of splenic volume enlargement might be a useful indicator of the protective effect of Bmab against OX-induced SOS. ..
- Hashimoto D, Chikamoto A, Miyanari N, Ohara C, Kuramoto M, Horino K, et al. Recombinant soluble thrombomodulin for postoperative disseminated intravascular coagulation. J Surg Res. 2015;197:405-11 pubmed publisher..Therapy with rhTM may be associated with reduced inhospital mortality in patients with septic DIC associated with gastroenterological surgery without increasing adverse events. ..
- Hiyoshi Y, Yoshida N, Watanabe M, Kurashige J, Karashima R, Iwagami S, et al. Late Recurrence After Radical Resection of Esophageal Cancer. World J Surg. 2016;40:913-20 pubmed publisher..296, P = 0.043). Pathological lymph node metastasis at esophagectomy is a risk factor of late recurrence for esophageal cancer, and a close, lifelong follow-up is recommended for such patients. ..
- Sakamoto Y, Iwatsuki M, Sakata K, Toyama E, Takata N, Yoshinaka I, et al. Laparoscopic omental filling with intraoperative endoscopy for a perforated duodenal ulcer. Surg Today. 2018;: pubmed publisher..This combined procedure is considered useful as a laparoscopic omental filling operation. ..
- Baba H, Watanabe M, Okabe H, Miyamoto Y, Sakamoto Y, Baba Y, et al. Upregulation of ERCC1 and DPD expressions after oxaliplatin-based first-line chemotherapy for metastatic colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012;107:1950-5 pubmed publisher..The IRIS regimens with the DPD inhibitory fluoropyrimidine may show superior activity against DPD-high tumours (e.g., tumours treated with oxaliplatin) compared with FOLFIRI. ..
- Arima K, Okabe H, Hashimoto D, Chikamoto A, Kuroki H, Taki K, et al. The Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte Ratio Predicts Malignant Potential in Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms. J Gastrointest Surg. 2015;19:2171-7 pubmed publisher..074 shows a high positive predictive value of 78 % and high specificity of 96 %. Preoperative NLR is a useful supportive marker to predict IPMC in patients with IPMN. ..
- Arima K, Okabe H, Hashimoto D, Chikamoto A, Tsuji A, Yamamura K, et al. The diagnostic role of the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in predicting pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma in patients with pancreatic diseases. Int J Clin Oncol. 2016;21:940-945 pubmed..6 % and the negative predictive value was 43.8 %. NLR >5 could independently predict the occurrence of PDACs in pancreatic neoplastic disease irrespective of other tumor markers, CEA and CA19-9, in pancreatic disease. ..
- Yoshida N, Nakamura K, Kuroda D, Baba Y, Miyamoto Y, Iwatsuki M, et al. Preoperative Smoking Cessation is Integral to the Prevention of Postoperative Morbidities in Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy. World J Surg. 2018;42:2902-2909 pubmed publisher..Preoperative smoking cessation is considerably important to prevent postoperative morbidities, even in MIE. At least, preoperative cessation???31 days is preferable to decrease considerable morbidities after MIE. ..
- Hayashi H, Beppu T, Okabe H, Kuroki H, Nakagawa S, Imai K, et al. Functional assessment versus conventional volumetric assessment in the prediction of operative outcomes after major hepatectomy. Surgery. 2015;157:20-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, marginal FR function is a better predictor of operative outcome after major hepatectomy than FR volume, especially in patients with nonhealthy liver. ..
- Miyamoto Y, Hayashi N, Sakamoto Y, Ohuchi M, Tokunagam R, Kurashige J, et al. Predictors of long-term survival in patients with stage IV colorectal cancer with multi-organ metastases: a single-center retrospective analysis. Int J Clin Oncol. 2015;20:1140-6 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the site of the primary tumor in the left side of the colon and in the rectum and R0 resection of metastatic lesions are predictors of a good prognosis in patients with stage IV CRC and multi-organ metastases. ..
- Arima K, Hashimoto D, Okabe H, Inoue R, Kaida T, Higashi T, et al. Intraoperative blood loss is not a predictor of prognosis for pancreatic cancer. Surg Today. 2016;46:792-7 pubmed publisher..Minimizing IBL is very important; however, the present study found that positive lymph node metastasis and R-status were stronger independent prognostic factors for pancreatic cancer. ..
- Tokunaga R, Sakamoto Y, Nakagawa S, Miyake K, Izumi D, Kosumi K, et al. The Prognostic Significance of Histone Lysine Demethylase JMJD3/KDM6B in Colorectal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:678-85 pubmed publisher..042) in surgically resected CRC patients. JMJD3 has prognostic significance in CRC and mediates p15INK4B expression. These results imply that elucidation of the JMJD3 role may lead to a new therapeutic approach for CRC patients. ..
- Kosumi K, Baba Y, Ishimoto T, Harada K, Nakamura K, Ohuchi M, et al. Neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio predicts the prognosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma patients. Surg Today. 2016;46:405-13 pubmed publisher..The preoperative NLR is significantly associated with a poor prognosis in patients with ESCC, suggesting the utility of NLR as a cost-effective and broadly available independent prognostic marker of ESCC. ..
- Kosumi K, Baba Y, Ishimoto T, Harada K, Nakamura K, Ohuchi M, et al. APOBEC3B is an enzymatic source of molecular alterations in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2016;33:26 pubmed publisher..027). Given the crucial roles of PIK3CA mutation and LINE-1 methylation levels, our findings might provide new insights into the biological mechanisms of ESCC tumorigenesis and progression. ..
- Nitta H, Baba H, Sugimori K, Furuse J, Ohkawa S, Yamamoto K, et al. Chemotherapy-induced Nausea and Vomiting in Patients with Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Cancer Treated with Chemotherapy: A Prospective Observational Study by the CINV Study Group of Japan. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1929-35 pubmed..CINV appears to be controlled under management according to the guidelines, but delayed nausea remains prevalent and requires further investigation. ..
- Uchihara T, Imamura Y, Iwagami S, Kajihara I, Kanemaru H, Karashima R, et al. Small bowel perforation due to indistinguishable metastasis of angiosarcoma: case report and brief literature review. Surg Case Rep. 2016;2:42 pubmed publisher..This case emphasizes intestinal metastasis of angiosarcoma as a possible cause of small bowel perforation in patients with advanced angiosarcoma, even when no visible tumor is present during surgery. ..
- Kosumi K, Baba Y, Ozaki N, Akiyama T, Harada K, Shigaki H, et al. Transnasal inner drainage: an option for managing anastomotic leakage after esophagectomy. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2016;401:903-8 pubmed publisher..Transnasal inner drainage is a safe, useful, inexpensive, and minimally invasive method, which may be an option for management of post-esophagectomy anastomotic leakage. ..
- Yoshida N, Baba Y, Shigaki H, Shiraishi S, Harada K, Watanabe M, et al. Effect of Esophagus Position on Surgical Difficulty and Postoperative Morbidities After Thoracoscopic Esophagectomy. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;28:172-9 pubmed publisher..Surgeons would be well advised to keep a careful watch perioperatively for patients with a deep-seated esophagus. ..
- Harada K, Baba Y, Ishimoto T, Shigaki H, Kosumi K, Yoshida N, et al. The role of microRNA in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Gastroenterol. 2016;51:520-30 pubmed publisher..In this review we summarize the identification and characterization of miRNAs involved in ESCC and discuss their potential as biomarkers and therapeutic targets. ..
- Eto K, Yoshida N, Iwatsuki M, Kurashige J, Ida S, Ishimoto T, et al. Surgical Apgar Score Predicted Postoperative Morbidity After Esophagectomy for Esophageal Cancer. World J Surg. 2016;40:1145-51 pubmed publisher..The SAS is considered to be useful for predicting the development of postoperative morbidities after esophagectomy for esophageal cancer. ..
- Arima K, Hashimoto D, Takata N, Doi Y, Yoshinaka I, Harada K, et al. Acute gastric volvulus in a patient with trisomy 21. Surg Case Rep. 2015;1:5 pubmed publisher..Emergency operation in form of reduction and gastropexy was performed. We are not aware of any similar cases published in the English literature, where as gastric volvulus occurred in a patient with Down syndrome. ..
- Higashi T, Hashimoto D, Hayashi H, Nitta H, Chikamoto A, Beppu T, et al. Reactive lymphoid hyperplasia of the liver requires differential diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Surg Case Rep. 2015;1:31 pubmed publisher..Four cases had a preoperative diagnosis of HCC. When a liver nodule is found in middle-aged women with an autoimmune disease, the possibility of RLH should be considered. ..
- Baba Y, Ishimoto T, Kurashige J, Iwatsuki M, Sakamoto Y, Yoshida N, et al. Epigenetic field cancerization in gastrointestinal cancers. Cancer Lett. 2016;375:360-366 pubmed publisher..In this article, we summarize current knowledge regarding epigenetic field cancerization and its clinical implications in gastrointestinal cancers, including colorectal cancer, gastric cancer and esophageal cancer. ..
- Tokunaga R, Sakamoto Y, Nakagawa S, Ohuchi M, Izumi D, Kosumi K, et al. CONUT: a novel independent predictive score for colorectal cancer patients undergoing potentially curative resection. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2017;32:99-106 pubmed publisher..89-10.74; P < 0.001). CONUT score may predict survival and postoperative severe complications in CRC patients undergoing potentially curative resection. Management of CRC patients may need consideration of host nutritional status. ..
- Tokunaga R, Sakamoto Y, Nakagawa S, Yoshida N, Baba H. The utility of tumor marker combination, including serum P53 antibody, in colorectal cancer treatment. Surg Today. 2017;47:636-642 pubmed publisher..034). The clinical significance of S-P53Ab measurement in CRC patients is limited. However, the combination of CEA and CA19-9 levels may be effective for predicting the outcomes of CRC treatment. ..
- Tsukamoto M, Yamashita Y, Imai K, Umezaki N, Yamao T, Kaida T, et al. Long-term Favorable Outcomes of Radiofrequency Ablation for Hepatocellular Carcinoma as an Initial Treatment: A Single-center Experience Over a 10-Year Period. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:1047-1052 pubmed..DCP ?40 mAU/ml and multiple HCCs contribute to a higher risk of recurrence. Patients with these factors should therefore be followed-up intensively. ..
- Tokunaga R, Sakamoto Y, Nakagawa S, Miyamoto Y, Yoshida N, Baba H. Additional lymph node dissection for primary colorectal cancer invading another colon region. Surg Today. 2018;48:667-672 pubmed publisher..For curative intent, surgeons may need to perform additional regional lymph node dissection for primary CRC invading another colon region. ..
- Kinoshita K, Beppu T, Miyata T, Kuramoto K, Yoshida Y, Umesaki N, et al. A Case of 15-Year Recurrence-free Survival After Microwave Coagulation Therapy for Liver Metastasis from Gastric Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:1595-1598 pubmed..The patient is alive, without tumor recurrence even after 15 years since the MCT. This successful case proves that appropriate MCT is a promising treatment for patients with gastric liver metastases. ..
- Izumi D, Yoshida N, Watanabe M, Shiraishi S, Ishimoto T, Kosumi K, et al. Tumor/normal esophagus ratio in (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography for response and prognosis stratification after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Gastroenterol. 2016;51:788-95 pubmed publisher..SUVmax evaluation with T/N ratio is useful for evaluating the effects of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with ESCC. ..
- Oda E, Hashimoto D, Shiomi Y, Ohnishi K, Hayashi H, Chikamoto A, et al. A case of occult intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma diagnosed by autopsy. Surg Case Rep. 2015;1:101 pubmed publisher..We discuss the clinical course of this rare cholangiocarcinoma including the diagnostic procedure and also present a review of the English literature regarding patients with cancer of unknown primary. ..
- Koga Y, Baba Y, Harada K, Kosumi K, Shigaki H, Kurashige J, et al. Multiple skeletal muscle metastases from poorly differentiated gastric adenocarcinoma. Surg Case Rep. 2015;1:105 pubmed publisher..Pathological examination of an open muscle biopsy showed a poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma, supporting a diagnosis of gastric cancer metastases in multiple skeletal muscles. ..
- Okadome K, Hayashi H, Higashi T, Takeyama H, Sakamoto K, Kuroki H, et al. Intra-aortic balloon pump-assisted major hepatectomy in a case with coronary disease. Surg Case Rep. 2015;1:112 pubmed publisher..Here, we present IABP-assisted major hepatectomy as an option in a patient with both cancer and coronary artery disease. ..
- Miyamoto Y, Akiyama T, Sakamoto Y, Tokunaga R, Ohuchi M, Shigaki H, et al. Omental flap after pelvic exenteration for pelvic cancer. Surg Today. 2016;46:1471-1475 pubmed..Ten patients received omental flaps, and 17 patients underwent pelvic exenteration without an omental flap. The incidence of pelvic infection was significantly reduced in the patients with omental flaps. ..
- Yoshida N, Baba Y, Shigaki H, Harada K, Iwatsuki M, Sakamoto Y, et al. Risk factors of early recurrence within 6 months after esophagectomy following neoadjuvant chemotherapy for resectable advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Clin Oncol. 2016;21:1071-1078 pubmed..These patients might be considered for additional treatment and should be meticulously followed up after treatment. ..
- Kitano Y, Iwatsuki M, Kurashige J, Kuroda D, Kosumi K, Baba Y, et al. Estimation of Physiologic Ability and Surgical Stress (E-PASS) versus modified E-PASS for prediction of postoperative complications in elderly patients who undergo gastrectomy for gastric cancer. Int J Clin Oncol. 2017;22:80-87 pubmed publisher
- Yamashita K, Baba Y, Kurashige J, Iwatsuki M, Imai K, Hashimoto D, et al. Co-occurrence of liver metastasis of gastrointestinal stromal tumor and hepatocellular carcinoma: a case report. Surg Case Rep. 2016;2:86 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report of the synchronous co-occurrence of a liver metastasis of GIST and a primary HCC. ..
- Zhou L, Baba Y, Kitano Y, Miyake K, Zhang X, Yamamura K, et al. KRAS, BRAF, and PIK3CA mutations, and patient prognosis in 126 pancreatic cancers: pyrosequencing technology and literature review. Med Oncol. 2016;33:32 pubmed publisher..E545K). The BRAF mutation was not detected in PC. KRAS mutations appear to be unrelated to clinical outcome in PC. BRAF and PIK3CA mutations were extremely rare in PC, suggesting that they play a limited role in PC development. ..
- Higashi T, Hayashi H, Kitano Y, Yamamura K, Kaida T, Arima K, et al. Statin attenuates cell proliferative ability via TAZ (WWTR1) in hepatocellular carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2016;33:123 pubmed..038). The statin had the anti-proliferative effects and induced apoptosis in HCC cells and improved the prognosis of HCC patients. ..
- Uchihara T, Yoshida N, Baba Y, Yagi T, Toihata T, Oda E, et al. Risk factors for pulmonary morbidities after minimally invasive esophagectomy for esophageal cancer. Surg Endosc. 2018;32:2852-2858 pubmed publisher..Past heavy smoking and advanced stage are independent risk factors for pulmonary morbidities after MIE. When performing MIE for such cases, various preoperative precautions and careful postoperative monitoring are necessary. ..
- Kuramoto K, Beppu T, Nitta H, Imai K, Masuda T, Miyata T, et al. Hepatic Resection Followed by Hepatic Arterial Infusion Chemotherapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Intrahepatic Dissemination. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:525-531 pubmed..7%, and 83.3%, 83.3% and 62.5%, respectively. Three patients in the HAIC group remain alive after 10 years of follow-up. Hepatic resection with short-term postoperative HAIC may provide excellent outcomes in patients with HCC and IHD. ..
- Miyata T, Beppu T, Kuramoto K, Nakagawa S, Imai K, Hashimoto D, et al. Hepatic sclerosed hemangioma with special attention to diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging. Surg Case Rep. 2018;4:3 pubmed publisher..95?±?0.26?×?10-3 mm2/s) in HSH. The ADCmean value seemed to be quite useful to preoperatively distinguish HSH from other malignant liver tumors. ..
- Kiyozumi Y, Yoshida N, Ishimoto T, Yagi T, Koga Y, Uchihara T, et al. Prognostic Factors of Salvage Esophagectomy for Residual or Recurrent Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma After Definitive Chemoradiotherapy. World J Surg. 2018;42:2887-2893 pubmed publisher..Avoiding non-curative surgery and reducing the incidence of severe postoperative complications are important if patients are to receive prognostic benefit of this highly invasive surgery. ..
- Miyamoto Y, Sakamoto Y, Ohuchi M, Tokunaga R, Shigaki H, Kurashige J, et al. Orbital Apex Syndrome Caused by Invasive Aspergillosis as an Adverse Effect of Systemic Chemotherapy for Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: a Case Report. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:821-3 pubmed..Orbital aspergillosis is a life-threatening disease and should be listed as a differential diagnosis of uncommon local infections during continuous chemotherapy. ..
- Sakamoto Y, Tokunaga R, Miyamoto Y, Ohuchi M, Nakamura K, Kosumi K, et al. Retroileal colorectal anastomosis after extended left colectomy: application for laparoscopic surgery. Surg Today. 2016;46:1476-1478 pubmed..We first applied this technique to laparoscopic operations. We herein describe the procedure of laparoscopic retroileal colorectal anastomosis. ..
- Kuroda D, Hayashi H, Nitta H, Imai K, Abe S, Hashimoto D, et al. Successful treatment for sorafenib-induced liver dysfunction: a report of case with liver biopsy. Surg Case Rep. 2016;2:4 pubmed publisher..Thus, sorafenib rarely can induce liver dysfunction characterized by cholestatic and hepatocellular injury types, and it could be a fatal event. Clinicians should pay attention to any increase in the liver enzymes in these patients. ..
- Hashimoto D, Chikamoto A, Harimoto N, Ikegami T, Uchiyama H, Yoshizumi T, et al. A comparative study on the complications of conventional and end-to-side inserting pancreatojejunostomy after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Surg Today. 2017;47:238-244 pubmed publisher..Improvements in pancreatico-digestive anastomosis techniques are required. ..
- Hashimoto D, Chikamoto A, Arima K, Taki K, Inoue R, Imai K, et al. Unused sterile instruments for closure prevent wound surgical site infection after pancreatic surgery. J Surg Res. 2016;205:38-42 pubmed publisher..002). Unused sterile forceps and drapes during abdominal closure reduced the incidence of incisional SSI after pancreatic surgery, especially pancreaticoduodenectomy. ..
- Yamamura K, Baba Y, Nakagawa S, Mima K, Miyake K, Nakamura K, et al. Human Microbiome Fusobacterium Nucleatum in Esophageal Cancer Tissue Is Associated with Prognosis. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:5574-5581 pubmed publisher..F. nucleatum might also contribute to aggressive tumor behavior through activation of chemokines, such as CCL20. Clin Cancer Res; 22(22); 5574-81. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Okabe H, Hashimoto D, Chikamoto A, Yoshida M, Taki K, Arima K, et al. Shape and Enhancement Characteristics of Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumor on Preoperative Contrast-enhanced Computed Tomography May be Prognostic Indicators. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017;24:1399-1405 pubmed publisher..56eÂ +Â 9, PÂ =Â 0.0041). Irregular tumor shape/enhancement on preoperative computed tomography is a negative prognostic factor after curative surgery for PNET. ..
- Tokunaga R, Sakamoto Y, Nakagawa S, Izumi D, Kosumi K, Taki K, et al. Comparison of systemic inflammatory and nutritional scores in colorectal cancer patients who underwent potentially curative resection. Int J Clin Oncol. 2017;22:740-748 pubmed publisher..Routine evaluation of the host status using the scores may be useful in CRC treatment. ..
- Miyata T, Okabe H, Chikamoto A, Yamao T, Umezaki N, Tsukamoto M, et al. A long-term survivor of hilar cholangiocarcinoma with resection of recurrent peritoneal dissemination after R0 surgery: a case report. Surg Case Rep. 2017;3:110 pubmed publisher..The patient successfully received resection of peritoneal dissemination 50 months after the induction of chemotherapy and survived for 10 years. ..
- Takeyama H, Beppu T, Higashi T, Kaida T, Arima K, Taki K, et al. Impact of surgical treatment after sorafenib therapy for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Surg Today. 2018;48:431-438 pubmed publisher..A long-term survival might be obtained for select HCC patients given adequate additional surgical treatment, even after sorafenib induction. ..
- Harada K, Baba Y, Ishimoto T, Kosumi K, Tokunaga R, Izumi D, et al. Low Visceral Fat Content is Associated with Poor Prognosis in a Database of 507 Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22:3946-53 pubmed publisher..0001). Visceral fat content in the upper gastrointestinal cancers was associated with a poor prognosis, thus suggesting that it has potential for use as a prognostic biomarker. ..
- Ida S, Watanabe M, Yoshida N, Baba Y, Umezaki N, Harada K, et al. Sarcopenia is a Predictor of Postoperative Respiratory Complications in Patients with Esophageal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22:4432-7 pubmed publisher..Further analysis is needed to clarify whether nutritional intervention improves skeletal muscle mass and thus contributes to reducing postoperative respiratory complications in sarcopenic patients. ..
- Yoshida N, Baba Y, Shigaki H, Harada K, Iwatsuki M, Kurashige J, et al. Preoperative Nutritional Assessment by Controlling Nutritional Status (CONUT) is Useful to estimate Postoperative Morbidity After Esophagectomy for Esophageal Cancer. World J Surg. 2016;40:1910-7 pubmed publisher..002-9.432; p = 0.049). CONUT was a convenient and useful tool to assess nutritional status before esophagectomy. Patients with moderate or severe malnutrition according to CONUT are at high risk for postoperative complications. ..
- Harada K, Baba Y, Shigaki H, Ishimoto T, Miyake K, Kosumi K, et al. Prognostic and clinical impact of PIK3CA mutation in gastric cancer: pyrosequencing technology and literature review. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:400 pubmed publisher..74) between patients with and without PIK3CA mutations. Mutations in PIK3CA did not correlate with prognosis in patients with gastric cancer, providing additional evidence for the lack of relationship between the two. ..
- Nakamura K, Yoshida N, Baba Y, Kosumi K, Uchihara T, Kiyozumi Y, et al. Elevated preoperative neutrophil-to-lymphocytes ratio predicts poor prognosis after esophagectomy in T1 esophageal cancer. Int J Clin Oncol. 2017;22:469-475 pubmed publisher..0013) and overall survival (p = 0.0027). An elevated preoperative NLR predicts poor prognosis in T1 esophageal cancer, suggesting the utility of the NLR as an easily measurable and generally available independent prognostic marker. ..
- Chikamoto A, Inoue R, Komohara Y, Sakamaki K, Hashimoto D, Shiraishi S, et al. Preoperative High Maximum Standardized Uptake Value in Association with Glucose Transporter 1 Predicts Poor Prognosis in Pancreatic Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017;24:2040-2046 pubmed publisher..A significant relationship exists between high preoperative cSUVmax and Glut-1 expression. High cSUVmax is one of the prognostic factors for overall survival after resection of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Yagi T, Hashimoto D, Taki K, Yamamura K, Chikamoto A, Ohmuraya M, et al. Surgery for metastatic tumors of the pancreas. Surg Case Rep. 2017;3:31 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, pancreatic metastasis can develop years after the treatment of primary lesion. Pancreatic resection can achieved long-term survival, at least in the patients who had primary renal carcinoma. ..
- Kitano Y, Kuramoto M, Masuda T, Kuroda D, Yamamoto K, Ikeshima S, et al. Ascending colon cancer with synchronous external iliac and inguinal lymph node metastases but without regional lymph node metastasis: a case report and brief literature review. Surg Case Rep. 2017;3:32 pubmed publisher..Histological examination revealed that both lymph nodes were metastasized from colon cancer, and there was no evidence of regional lymph node metastasis. The patient has shown no sign of recurrence at 27 months after surgery. ..
- Taki K, Hashimoto D, Nakagawa S, Ozaki N, Tomiyasu S, Ohmuraya M, et al. Significance of lymph node metastasis in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor. Surg Today. 2017;47:1104-1110 pubmed publisher..69. Although LNM was not an independent prognostic factor, lymph node dissection is recommended for patients whose predictive score is larger than 1.69. ..
- Arima K, Okabe H, Hashimoto D, Chikamoto A, Nitta H, Higashi T, et al. Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio predicts metachronous liver metastasis of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Int J Clin Oncol. 2017;22:734-739 pubmed publisher..In this patient series, a high NLR (?2.4) was a noninvasive marker that independently predicted postoperative liver metastasis in patients with PNETs, and thereby could be clinically useful. ..
- Hashimoto D, Nakagawa S, Umezaki N, Yamao T, Kitano Y, Yamamura K, et al. Efficacy and safety of postoperative anticoagulation prophylaxis with enoxaparin in patients undergoing pancreatic surgery: A prospective trial and literature review. Pancreatology. 2017;17:464-470 pubmed publisher..Postoperative anticoagulant therapy with enoxaparin was used in patients who underwent pancreatic surgery with a low incidence of VTE and no increase in postoperative bleeding events compared with existing evidence. ..
- Yamamura K, Kosumi K, Baba Y, Harada K, Gao F, Zhang X, et al. LINE-1 methylation level and prognosis in pancreas cancer: pyrosequencing technology and literature review. Surg Today. 2017;47:1450-1459 pubmed publisher..50, respectively). The LINE-1 methylation level appears not to be associated with poor prognosis in PC. The effect of the LINE-1 methylation level on the survival of PC patients needs to be confirmed in a larger-cohort study. ..