Affiliation: University of Milano-Bicocca
- Mancia G. Prevention and treatment of stroke in patients with hypertension. Clin Ther. 2004;26:631-48 pubmed
- Mancia G, Kjeldsen S, Zappe D, Holzhauer B, Hua T, Zanchetti A, et al. Cardiovascular outcomes at different on-treatment blood pressures in the hypertensive patients of the VALUE trial. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:955-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, aggressive BP reductions when CV risk is high may not offer substantial advantages, except perhaps in patients or conditions in which stroke risk is particularly common. ..
- Mancia G, Parati G, Revera M, Bilo G, Giuliano A, Veglia F, et al. Statins, antihypertensive treatment, and blood pressure control in clinic and over 24 hours: evidence from PHYLLIS randomised double blind trial. BMJ. 2010;340:c1197 pubmed publisher..Trial registration BRISQUI_*IV_2004_001 (registered at Osservatorio Nazionale sulla Sperimentazione Clinica dei Medicinali-National Monitoring Centre on Clinical Research with Medicines). ..
- Mancia G, Bombelli M, Brambilla G, Facchetti R, Sega R, Toso E, et al. Long-term prognostic value of white coat hypertension: an insight from diagnostic use of both ambulatory and home blood pressure measurements. Hypertension. 2013;62:168-74 pubmed publisher..89; P<0.0001). Thus, WCH includes subjects with a widely different long-term risk of a cardiovascular event. To identify those at higher risk, measurements of both out-of-office BPs are desirable. ..
- Mancia G, Facchetti R, Grassi G, Bombelli M. Adverse prognostic value of persistent office blood pressure elevation in white coat hypertension. Hypertension. 2015;66:437-44 pubmed publisher..This means that in WCH office BP is prognostically relevant and that repeated collection of its values is clinically important to better define patient risk. ..
- Mancia G, Schumacher H, Redon J, Verdecchia P, Schmieder R, Jennings G, et al. Blood pressure targets recommended by guidelines and incidence of cardiovascular and renal events in the Ongoing Telmisartan Alone and in Combination With Ramipril Global Endpoint Trial (ONTARGET). Circulation. 2011;124:1727-36 pubmed publisher..Overall, CV protection was favorably affected by the less tight but not by the tighter BP target. Clinical Trial Registration-URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00153101. ..
- Mancia G, Bombelli M, Facchetti R, Madotto F, Quarti Trevano F, Grassi G, et al. Increased long-term risk of new-onset diabetes mellitus in white-coat and masked hypertension. J Hypertens. 2009;27:1672-8 pubmed publisher..This is largely accounted for by the metabolic abnormalities that are frequent components of these conditions. ..
- Mancia G, Bombelli M, Facchetti R, Madotto F, Corrao G, Trevano F, et al. Long-term risk of diabetes, hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy associated with the metabolic syndrome in a general population. J Hypertens. 2008;26:1602-11 pubmed publisher..This may account for the increased rate of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality exhibited with this condition in long-term studies. ..
- Mancia G, Zanchetti A, Bohm M, Christiaens T, Cifkova R, De Backer G, et al. 2013 ESH/ESC guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2013;34:2159-219 pubmed publisher
- Mancia G, Facchetti R, Parati G, Zanchetti A. Visit-to-visit blood pressure variability, carotid atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular events in the European Lacidipine Study on Atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2012;126:569-78 pubmed publisher..Thus, when BP is modestly elevated, inconsistency of BP control between visits plays a less important prognostic role than long-term average BP levels. ..
- Mancia G, Facchetti R, Parati G, Zanchetti A. Visit-to-visit blood pressure variability in the European Lacidipine Study on Atherosclerosis: methodological aspects and effects of antihypertensive treatment. J Hypertens. 2012;30:1241-51 pubmed publisher..Interindividual BP variability during treatment shows marked quantitative differences with intraindividual BP variability questioning whether its use can accurately reflect individual BP variations from one visit to another. ..
- Mancia G, Cannon C, Tikkanen I, Zeller C, Ley L, Woerle H, et al. Impact of Empagliflozin on Blood Pressure in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Hypertension by Background Antihypertensive Medication. Hypertension. 2016;68:1355-1364 pubmed..URL: https://clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT01370005. ..
- Morganti A, Mancia G. Resistant hypertension: Renal denervation or intensified medical treatment?. Eur J Intern Med. 2018;50:6-11 pubmed publisher..At present, it is advisable to treat RH with the addition of an anti-aldosterone agent. If BP control is not achieved or serious side effects become manifest RDN may then be considered. ..
- Mancia G, Schumacher H, Bohm M, Redon J, Schmieder R, Verdecchia P, et al. Relative and Combined Prognostic Importance of On-Treatment Mean and Visit-to-Visit Blood Pressure Variability in ONTARGET and TRANSCEND Patients. Hypertension. 2017;70:938-948 pubmed publisher..Prediction improved by their combined use, which may thus offer a more precise estimate of the protective effect of treatment. URL: http//www.clinicaltrial.gov. Unique identifier: NCT153.101. ..