Affiliation: University of Rome La Sapienza
- Breccia M, Mengarelli A, Mancini M, Biondo F, Gentilini F, Latagliata R, et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes in patients under 50 years old: a single institution experience. Leuk Res. 2005;29:749-54 pubmed..001) and high risk by IPSS score (p = 0.0003) were found to be predictive for a higher risk of transformation to AML. Presenting features in young MDS patients may identify subjects at higher risk of unfavourable outcome. ..
- Breccia M, Cannella L, Nanni M, Stefanizzi C, Alimena G. Nilotinib can override dasatinib resistance in chronic myeloid leukemia patients with secondary resistance to imatinib first-line therapy. Acta Haematol. 2007;118:162-4 pubmed
- Breccia M, Alimena G. Pleural/pericardic effusions during dasatinib treatment: incidence, management and risk factors associated to their development. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2010;9:713-21 pubmed publisher..Literature evidences support the fact that with adequate management and monitoring of patients with predisposing factors, pleural effusions can be easily managed. ..
- Breccia M, FoÃ R. Current Information and Recommendations on the Discontinuation of TKI Inhibitors in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. Curr Oncol Rep. 2018;20:23 pubmed publisher..We hereby review the current information based on the available published data and discuss the current suggestions on how to move TFR into the clinical practice. ..
- Breccia M, Morano S, D Andrea M, Russo E, D Elia G, Alimena G. Budd-Chiari syndrome as the first manifestation of polycythemia vera in young women with inherited thrombophilic state: an aggressive form of myeloproliferative disorder requiring multidisciplinary management. Eur J Haematol. 2005;75:396-400 pubmed..Furthermore, we suggest the need of routine screening for thrombophilic state in young women affected by PV. ..
- Breccia M, Molica M, Alimena G. How tyrosine kinase inhibitors impair metabolism and endocrine system function: a systematic updated review. Leuk Res. 2014;38:1392-8 pubmed publisher..Aim of present review is to report metabolic changes and potential mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis related to imatinib, second (nilotinib and dasatinib) and third generation (bosutinib and ponatinib) TKIs. ..
- Breccia M, Finsinger P, Loglisci G, Federico V, Santopietro M, Colafigli G, et al. Deferasirox treatment for myelodysplastic syndromes: "real-life" efficacy and safety in a single-institution patient population. Ann Hematol. 2012;91:1345-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the oral iron chelator deferasirox is effective and safe when used in MDS patients with transfusion requirement, also if administered concomitantly with other drugs. ..
- Breccia M, Graffigna G, Galimberti S, Iurlo A, Pungolino E, Pizzuti M, et al. Personal history and quality of life in chronic myeloid leukemia patients: a cross-sectional study using narrative medicine and quantitative analysis. Support Care Cancer. 2016;24:4487-93 pubmed publisher..Narrative medicine, in association to quantitative analysis, can help physicians to understand needs of their patients in order to improve communication. ..
- Breccia M, Molica M, Colafigli G, Massaro F, Alimena G. Early molecular response in chronic myeloid leukemia and halving time: Latest evidences. Leuk Res. 2016;48:20-5 pubmed publisher..Aim of this review is to summarize all evidences reported on the significance of EMR and how this evaluation changed our perspectives and modified our therapeutic strategies. ..
- Breccia M, Pregno P, Spallarossa P, Arboscello E, Ciceri F, Giorgi M, et al. Identification, prevention and management of cardiovascular risk in chronic myeloid leukaemia patients candidate to ponatinib: an expert opinion. Ann Hematol. 2017;96:549-558 pubmed publisher..It summarises suggestions that may help to improve the therapeutic index of ponatinib, primarily in the settings of chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukaemia. ..
- Breccia M, Arboscello E, Bellodi A, Colafigli G, Molica M, Bergamaschi M, et al. Proposal for a tailored stratification at baseline and monitoring of cardiovascular effects during follow-up in chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia patients treated with nilotinib frontline. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;107:190-198 pubmed publisher..Several national haematologist and cardiologist reviewed the literature, analysed levels of evidence for each topic and, after extensive discussions presented their proposals based on current international guidelines. ..
- Breccia M, Palandri F, Luciano L, Benevolo G, Bonifacio M, Caocci G, et al. Identification and assessment of frailty in older patients with chronic myeloid leukemia and myelofibrosis, and indications for tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatment. Ann Hematol. 2018;97:745-754 pubmed publisher..There is a need for specific methods to assess frailty in patients with MPNs, particularly the context of effective new treatment options, such as TKIs and ruxolitinib. ..
- Breccia M, Alimena G. Nilotinib therapy in chronic myelogenous leukemia: the strength of high selectivity on BCR/ABL. Curr Drug Targets. 2009;10:530-6 pubmed..We here review the development of nilotinib and the efficacy data in phase II and front-line trials. ..
- Breccia M, Mandelli F, Petti M, D Andrea M, Pescarmona E, Pileri S, et al. Clinico-pathological characteristics of myeloid sarcoma at diagnosis and during follow-up: report of 12 cases from a single institution. Leuk Res. 2004;28:1165-9 pubmed